Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #31
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #32
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

A very timely question for me. I have a group of 5 women that I was very close to on high school and onto adulthood. Some how we have drifted away and although we talk on the phone, at church in passing and on Facebook, we haven't really talked or spent time together in years.

In the past two weeks Dh and I have lost two very dear friends that we kept promising to visit. Their deaths really got me to thinking. So on the 28th there will be a reunion of my little group!! I am really looking forward to it

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #33
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

According to Facebook or IRL?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #34
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

Lets start off by saying I have almost no family my dad, whom I was never close to anyway, died at the age of 51. My mom is crazy, no really crazy I barely speak to her and my brothers and I have zero things in common. My grandmother the only person I was close to died when I was 17. So I have loads of friends.

I have my DH who is my BFF but I have 3 other people I consider best friends as well. Then I have a few more people that are very good friends, then work friends, mutual friends and so on.

Before my DH came along I had bad jealousy issues with people that had big tight knit families heck even people who had a strong bond with any family! It was especially hard around this time of year.

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

My husband is my best friend as well. I love spending time with him and just doing anything or nothing with him.

I have 3 friends that I have been friends with almost 3 years. We talk/text every week or month. They all live in Arkansas while I travel the world but we are still the same when we get together. I know that those 3 would get on a plane, train or hitch hike to get me to in a moment's notice.

I have also made friends around the wonderful world thanks to the army. We keep in regular contact but I don't know about the drop if something is on fire.

I'm inspired to start a thread about this thanks!

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #36
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Not counting my sister and my daughter, I have two friends who have been my friends for over 30 years. I know they would be there for me no matter what and I would do the same for them.

I have many people with whom I am friendly and with whom I like to spend time, but I also know that they would not go out of their way to be with me. I think this is very normal.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #37
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Other than my husband ... none. I'm very shy, have social anxieties, always been the wallflower. Seen, but not heard.
This is me exactly. My friends are my sister and my daughters. While I'd love to have a group of girl friends to hang out with (I'm always a little envious when we go out to dinner and I see a group of women enjoying a girl's night out), I've come to accept the fact that I'm not a social person and never will be. I actually enjoy doing things by myself, though, so it's not so bad. I just hate it for DH because I feel like I severely limit his social life.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #38
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hoosierfan View Post
I have 10-15 friends that are "crap, I have an emergency in the middle of the night, I need help now" close enough that I could count on.

Then, I have at least another 20-30 people that I would consider "friends." Some closer than others.... but definitely more than just casual aquiantances.

I am a VERY outgoing person.
This is pretty spot-on with me, also. I sometimes feel that I have a "phone-a-friend" network. I know who to call for various things--if I need a kick in the backside, I have certain friends who know me who are more than happy to provide that service. If I need a shoulder, I know who to call. I am in recovery, so have my network of friends if I need support in that area. My partner is my very best friend, but not the only person I am close to. Besides that, I haven't known her for as long as I've known many of my friends. I also have people who will call me for whatever reason. I probably have more friends now than I've ever had. I am outgoing, but tend to be shy, so it doesn't always come natural to have a lot of friends.

Having said that, I do not think there is a right number of friends for anyone. As long as each of us are happy with our situation, I believe that's the right number. If we somehow feel as if we need more friends, that's something that can be worked on. Some of my friends have been friends for 20+ years and others I have just recently met. It's never too late to make a friend and I've found the best way to make them is by being a friend to someone else.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #39
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Can't even begin to count. My Wife and I participate in a lot of car related activities so we have friends literally all over the country. As far as local friends, people we visit with frequently within 50 miles, maybe 100?
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #40
scbelleatheart
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Honestly... 0.
I learned long ago, trust no one.
scbelleatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #41
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

I didnt have many friends growing up. I was pretty shy. I find it easier to make friends as I get older which I think is the opposite of most people's situation.

I tend to have different groups of friends and they normally dont co-mingle. I have my bff who I moved to Florida partly to be closer to her and her family. If I had an emergency that is who I would call and she would probably call me if she had one. Usually when I hang out with her its just us and her family, sometimes we hang out with one of her other friends M who I have hung out with alone also but I wouldnt consider M a close friend.

I have my friends that I go to Disney with. I am pretty close to some of them and stay at some of thier places when I am in town. I have brought one of my non disney friends to meet them once or twice.

I have some friends I used to work with and have since moved on to other jobs. We get together once or twice a month for lunch.

I have one friend that still lives in my old town that I usually talk to atleast once a day even if its just a text. And I still have other friends back home that I get together with when I come back to visit
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #42
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Honestly... 0.
I'd have to say zero, too. There is no one that I would call in the middle of the night, other than two of my sisters. They are my best friends, but they live in Mississippi and Washington.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #43
BreeBree
Earning My Ears

Not including DH who is my closest friend, I have about 3 close friends and about 15 other regular friends. My husband has to network a lot for his job, so I always find myself meeting new people from all walks of life. It's very fun

~Past Trips~
WDW Wilderness Lodge Engagement Trip 2006 , DCL/WDW Grand Floridian Disneymoon 2007, WDW Wilderness Lodge 2008, DL Grand Californian 2009, DLP Hotel New York 2010, WDW Grand Floridian 2011, DCL/WDW Polynesian 2012

Me(25)DH(38) DS(6)DS(5)DD(3)DD(2 months)

BreeBree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #44
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

Best friends, the kind who know you inside and out? 4. These are the ones I would call with a major crisis or celebration.

Good friends, to go out to lunch/see a movie with? Probably about 5.

I have lots of other people I call "friends" meaning we enjoy talking to each other at events, know what's going on in each other's lives, hang out at work, etc...but we wouldn't necessarily hang out with only each other.

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #45
shortbun
Peacenik

A handfull of really 'best friends' and about a dozen good friends. Then there are my 'old friends' with whom I keep in touch and could establish a best friend relationship with if they weren't far far away.
"Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold."
Tonight, we're having a Christmas party with about 30 of our friends. Same group that we've partied with for 30+ years.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: