Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggergirlinMI View Post
the same smell is present when Ive gone to Cedar Point where the Dippin Dots stands are. My guess is it's sour milk, when the ice cream from the Dole Whips drips on the cement and bakes in the sun, that smell bakes in the concrete. It does smell like someone got sick but Im 99.9% sure it's just sour milk in the concrete and probably hard to get rid of.
Dole Whips are non-dairy.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
tiggergirlinMI
Now living two hours from the World!

clarification

Yes the dole whips aren't but the soft serve ice cream is that they swirl with it when I get them......has been that way since I was a kid, some 35 years now
its the ice cream..trust me....sorry it's not something more sinister,lol

Disney Dreaming
tiggergirlinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

I didn't notice any bad smells, but then we didn't hang around there to eat ours. Like some others mentioned, the cigarette smoke in the general area doesn't make the area a place that we linger around to eat our desserts. We like to take ours to the Sleepy Hollow area.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeisler View Post
There are certain plants that have a urine/vomit odor. Unfortunately,I have encountered some in theme parks before. That might be it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseEarsForAll View Post
Is it natural or "manufactured"?
The female gingko plant smells exactly like vomit. We smelled it at the MO Botanical Gardens and thought someone had been sick. They told us the females do that.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

We were there last weekend and I definitely noticed it waiting in line for a Dole Whip. It's a sour milk / wet garbagey smell. It was pretty foul, but not bad enough to stop me from waiting in line for 15 minutes!

HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #21
MrStayPuft
The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay1864 View Post
At our trip to MK last week, there was an awful garbage-y smell at the "standing eating area" to the right of Aloha Isle. I had to move away it was so bad.

I noticed this on a previous visit as well.

I'd have mentioned it to a CM, but just then DW and DD showed up for us to ride Pirates.

Anyone else noticed this?
Don't bother mentioning it to a custodial CM, look for a manager (name tag with business casual attire). If this many people have noticed it, it needs to be dealt with.
MrStayPuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #22
WDWFan00
Mouseketeer

Didn't notice a garbage smell when we were at the MK on Tuesday, did notice that the entire area of Adventureland smelt like cigarette smoke.
Apr 2000: All Star Music Resort; Apr 2001: Caribbean Beach Resort; Apr/May 2003: Wilderness Lodge; Apr/May 2004: Wilderness Lodge; Dec 2004: Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian; May 2006: Polynesian Resort; Dec 2006: All Star Sports Resort; Apr/May 2007: Polynesian Resort; Dec 2008: Polynesian Resort; Apr/May 2010: Polynesian Resort; Apr/May 2011: Polynesian Resort; Dec 2011: Polynesian Resort; Apr/May 2012: Polynesian Resort; Dec 2012: Polynesian Resort; May 2013: Polynesian Resort
WDWFan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #23
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggergirlinMI View Post
Yes the dole whips aren't but the soft serve ice cream is that they swirl with it when I get them......has been that way since I was a kid, some 35 years now
its the ice cream..trust me....sorry it's not something more sinister,lol
When a frozen dessert is designated "non-dairy," it means that the
the soft serve is non-dairy.

It is not mixed with "ice cream."

The soft serve is a product similar to that shown below-
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #24
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
When a frozen dessert is designated "non-dairy," it means that the
the soft serve is non-dairy.

It is not mixed with "ice cream."

The soft serve is a product similar to that shown below-
~Technically, Dole Whips can be considered a dairy product -- just because a product is labeled as non-dairy does not equate to it being entirely void of any dairy component(s) -- it can just mean that there is a very low percentage of dairy ingredient(s). Specifically, Dole Whips contain the ingredient Sodium Caseinate - (A Milk Derivative) that comes from the milk protein Casein. The majority of individuals with milk allergies may suffer a severe allergic reaction when exposed to Casein. With that said, Dole Whips are lactose free, so most people who suffer from lactose intolerance will not experience any symptoms. Milk allergies (allergic) and lactose intolerance (non-allergic) are different. Those with milk allergies know exactly what to look for, as most products with Casein are legally labeled as non dairy, in part, due to the low percentage of dairy in the product. Just sayin'...

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #25
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeisler View Post
There are certain plants that have a urine/vomit odor. Unfortunately,I have encountered some in theme parks before. That might be it?
Yup..When we lived in Charleston , the condo complex had a lot of plants outside our porch and it always smelled like vomit all the time
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Yup..When we lived in Charleston , the condo complex had a lot of plants outside our porch and it always smelled like vomit all the time
The plants near Aloha Isle are "non-vomit."

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #27
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay1864 View Post
At our trip to MK last week, there was an awful garbage-y smell at the "standing eating area" to the right of Aloha Isle. I had to move away it was so bad.

I noticed this on a previous visit as well.

I'd have mentioned it to a CM, but just then DW and DD showed up for us to ride Pirates.

Anyone else noticed this?
After all of the years they have been serving Dole Whips out of this building, I am sure that the sugar, fruit, and milk products are taking the toll on the area. A really good flushing is needed. So Just (don't) hold your breath. TDBIASWS.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #28
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
The plants near Aloha Isle are "non-vomit."

We also noticed the smell on our September visit this year. It was fine the first week, but the second/third week we were there it really did stink. However it cannot be the plants as once we had our whip/float, we always went and sat on the concrete 'benches' at the foliage and it was fine there.

By the way, they took all the plants out of that bed during our last week there and had planted some little shrubs/flowers in there and it made no difference.

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #29
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona65

After all of the years they have been serving Dole Whips out of this building, I am sure that the sugar, fruit, and milk products are taking the toll on the area. A really good flushing is needed. So Just (don't) hold your breath. TDBIASWS.
I did smell it too and I also came to this conclusion.
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #30
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Sad to say I noticed this on our September trip. I got on line and then decided not to get one since it smelled so bad like vomit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: