Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #1486
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
I am hoping we can book the royal room for the kids and a regular room for DH and I (with the baby). We would absolutely need the rooms adjoining though for obvious reasons. I am hoping that they will be able to do this??
Sadly that won't work, the Royal Rooms are in two specific buildings only (see map in first post) and there are no regular rooms in those locations. It's all or nothing I'm afraid (but you can get connecting Royal Rooms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissabo View Post
When I got my phone back it was in safe mode. I had to reset it so someone tried many times to enter the incorrect password. I think that because it was useless maybe that is why I got it back do I would also recommend password protecting electronics.
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment here, it's possible that someone else saw your phone while housekeeping were working on your room and nipped in and grabbed it (I've seen housekeepers prop doors open while they go back and forth carrying stuff from their cleaning cart, and I think it would not be too hard to snatch something while the maid was cleaning the bathroom for example). Then, when the phone was found to be locked it was simply thrown away in haste by the opportunist. However there's always the other possibility that you imply, which is much less palatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
I don't think they actually physically assign rooms until closer to your arrival, which makes sense to me!
Correct. The room assignment manager says that they now have visibility of all bookings a long way out (just like Central Reservations do), but other than in exceptional circumstances they usually tend to start looking at arrivals around 5 days out for more complex bookings, down to 2-3 days for simpler ones. Sending a fax more than 5 days out means it will probably just sit in an in-tray for a few days, which might not be the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtownpatty View Post
I sent my fax 5 days out and heard back the next day. Silly question, but did you include your email address on your fax?
It's a good idea - in fact they suggest adding your email address or other contact details in case they need to contact you about your request. For example, I know of at least one Port Orleans guest request for a Magic Kingdom view - which sadly could not be accommodated - but there are also simpler misunderstandings, such as families of five requesting a mansion building room (which have a maximum occupancy of four). If it's a simple request, or maybe something which is best left until check-in time, you might not get a specific reply though. Port Orleans is very much the exception in this respect in the first place though, and I don't think most of the resorts go the 'extra mile' that Port Orleans does (in fact we suspect that a number of them don't even read faxed requests any more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2527 View Post
Does anyone know what building is the closest to the main building (without being preferred), that would have a king bed? The preferreds don't have kings, which is what we normally book
The preferred buildings DO have King Bed rooms, but they officially fall into the King Bed booking category rather than Preferred Location category. So if you book a King Bed you can definitely request a room in 14, 15, 18 or 27 if you wish - subject to availability of course. Same applies to Water View and River View by the way.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 12-07-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #1487
Steph2527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Sadly that won't work, the Royal Rooms are in two specific buildings only (see map in first post) and there are no regular rooms in those locations. It's all or nothing I'm afraid (but you can get connecting Royal Rooms).

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment here, it's possible that someone else saw your phone while housekeeping were working on your room and nipped in and grabbed it (I've seen housekeepers prop doors open while they go back and forth carrying stuff from their cleaning cart, and I think it would not be too hard to snatch something while the maid was cleaning the bathroom for example). Then, when the phone was found to be locked it was simply thrown away in haste by the opportunist. However there's always the other possibility that you imply, which is much less palatable.

Correct. The room assignment manager says that they now have visibility of all bookings a long way out (just like Central Reservations do), but other than in exceptional circumstances they usually tend to start looking at arrivals around 5 days out for more complex bookings, down to 2-3 days for simpler ones. Sending a fax more than 5 days out means it will probably just sit in an in-tray for a few days, which might not be the best idea.

It's a good idea - in fact they suggest adding your email address or other contact details in case they need to contact you about your request. For example, I know of at least one Port Orleans guest request for a Magic Kingdom view - which sadly could not be accommodated - but there are also simpler misunderstandings, such as families of five requesting a mansion building room (which have a maximum occupancy of four). If it's a simple request, or maybe something which is best left until check-in time, you might not get a specific reply though. Port Orleans is very much the exception in this respect in the first place though, and I don't think most of the resorts go the 'extra mile' that Port Orleans does (in fact we suspect that a number of them don't even read faxed requests any more).

The preferred buildings DO have King Bed rooms, but they officially fall into the King Bed booking category rather than Preferred Location category. So if you book a King Bed you can definitely request a room in 14, 15, 18 or 27 if you wish - subject to availability of course. Same applies to Water View and River View by the way.

Andre
Thanks so much! I had no idea that they fell under the king bed category! Last year I was told they just don't have king beds in the preferred buildings! I will go ahead and book king bed then and request one of the preferred buildings!
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #1488
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

We will be there on Superbowl Sunday, and depending on who is playing, dh may want to ditch us.

Does POR play the superbowl anywhere - at the pool bar, lounge, etc. I saw on another thread someone mentioned seeing it on a big screen outside at CBR. Does POR do this?

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #1489
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyredraider View Post
Hello all, I'm joining in here again. I've gone back and forth with plans, but I finally decided tonight..change the 1st ressie, and I feel good about it!
The kids and I are heading down for a week on our own, so we've booked a royal room.
After a week there, we'll switch over to BC and DH will join us there (he can only take a week off work, and I teach, so I have the summer off. )
Anyway, I've booked a Royal Room - Garden view. I'd love some help with room requests for this particular view if someone could help me. I'd like to be as close to the "hub" as possible, or a quiet pool even.
Hi Erin! I just had a garden view royal room. I was in 9249 and we loved it! It looks out to the center fountain. We could take a shortcut to the quiet pool, but we usually used the main pool since its November and only swam midday. We were pretty close to the bridge over to the main area, but someone might be able to point you to one a little closer to the bridge/quiet pool. The other side of the building is probably closest.

When we went in the summer last time, every step we didn't have to take in the FL heat was important.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #1490
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
Does POR play the superbowl anywhere - at the pool bar, lounge, etc. I saw on another thread someone mentioned seeing it on a big screen outside at CBR. Does POR do this?
I'm sure it'll be on in the River Roost Lounge. The resort has also been experimenting with showing live video feeds on the large outdoor screens that they use for the evening movies, but I've no idea whether they might plan to show a daytime event like this.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #1491
lucifie
DIS Veteran

45 days out! We made our final payment yesterday! Now I'm praying that no one gets sick and a major blizzard hits while we're gone.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #1492
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

35 days out for us and I've got a 10 yr old at home with a fever. hopefully if it's gonna spread through the house it does it quickly and goes away!

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #1493
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

We are 2 days out and our 10 year old son is home because of sore throat and throwing up...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #1494
NMDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs
35 days out for us and I've got a 10 yr old at home with a fever. hopefully if it's gonna spread through the house it does it quickly and goes away!
Get it over with now! I'm sitting at the Dr with my son right now. He has an ear infection, my wife has the flu, and we leave in 3 days!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #1495
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I'm sure it'll be on in the River Roost Lounge. The resort has also been experimenting with showing live video feeds on the large outdoor screens that they use for the evening movies, but I've no idea whether they might plan to show a daytime event like this.

Andre
I'm not a football fan at all, but I'm pretty sure it's at night, isn't it? Depending on what time zone it's played in, I guess. I've been to superbowl parties, at night, to gab with the girls and eat nachos and watch the half time show while the men are loud in another room.

Maybe Venomhatch can let us know if it's something POR might be experimenting with.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1496
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

Question for those who have stayed in the refurbed AB rooms...

It seems like there isn't as much room for putting your things away, both surfaces and drawer space. Did you find this to be an issue?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #1497
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
I'm not a football fan at all, but I'm pretty sure it's at night, isn't it? Depending on what time zone it's played in, I guess. I've been to superbowl parties, at night, to gab with the girls and eat nachos and watch the half time show while the men are loud in another room.

Maybe Venomhatch can let us know if it's something POR might be experimenting with.
I am with Andre, I haven't heard anything about that. But your right SB is usually evening hours.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #1498
Wendilou
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
45 days out! We made our final payment yesterday! Now I'm praying that no one gets sick and a major blizzard hits while we're gone.
We are 46 days out. We are just getting over the flu and had colds at Thanksgiving. We are going to be eatting vitamins like candy until we get back home from this trip.lol

This is our first trip with more than one day at parks and our first time staying on site. I am loving this thread and so happy that I changed my reservation to POR from ASMovies.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #1499
alorac
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We will be there on Superbowl Sunday, and depending on who is playing, dh may want to ditch us.

I know this is kinda against the purpose of the thread here... but I would recommend taking it as an opportunity to go visit the Boardwalk. Last time I was down in Disney was during the playoffs and my girlfriend and I went to see our team play at the ESPN Zone. It was a TON of fun. A lot of sports fans around and everyone was super friendly (even those cheering for the team we were playing).
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #1500
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotMuchofaTail View Post
Hi Erin! I just had a garden view royal room. I was in 9249 and we loved it! It looks out to the center fountain. We could take a shortcut to the quiet pool, but we usually used the main pool since its November and only swam midday. We were pretty close to the bridge over to the main area, but someone might be able to point you to one a little closer to the bridge/quiet pool. The other side of the building is probably closest.

When we went in the summer last time, every step we didn't have to take in the FL heat was important.
I appreciate your help! So you didn't feel like it was a long walk at all? We've only ever stayed in AB @ POR, and honestly have never ventured over that direction of the resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Lady View Post
Question for those who have stayed in the refurbed AB rooms...

It seems like there isn't as much room for putting your things away, both surfaces and drawer space. Did you find this to be an issue?
We did in June, and did not find it to be an issue. We utilized the shelves in the sink area for tolietries, gave each kid a drawer in the Murphy bed, and DH and I used the shelf/hanging rack. For our snacks, drinks, etc. We used the shelving by the refrigerator. HTH!

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: