Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
I really wish Disney would enforce the "three hour limit" for visitors/ADRs more than they do, or better yet, only allow guests staying at the monorail resorts to park in their respective lots. It would solve a lot of problems by saying that unless you are staying at one of the monorail resorts and driving a car, you should have to park at the TTC and take the monorail over to the resorts - and then enforce it by not allowing you access to the lot.

We normally stay at the Poly and can't count the number of times we've tried to get a parking spot unsuccessfully especially between 5:00 pm and 11:00 pm. On our trip in October we returned from doing some shopping at the outlet mall and there was absolutely no where to park. We ended up parking in the 10 minute parking and when we advised the CMs both at the main desk and our own concierge/club level desk in the Hawaii building, they basically just acknowledged the problem but said as long as we had our parking pass displayed we wouldn't be towed.

We ended up going over to the MK that evening and at park closing joined the crowd on the monorail to the Poly. We decided to try and move our car to a more appropriate spot, and were shocked at the number of people we followed from the monorail that went out to the Poly parking lot, got in their cars and left. Needless to say, after the mass exodus of cars from the parking lot, we were able to find a parking spot without any problem.

This past May was no different - we always found it hard to find a parking spot in the Poly lot and most times ended up following someone back to their car and snagging their spot as they left.

Fortunately, we never had this problem when we stayed at the Poly or GF, but always ran into it at the Contemporary.

What we started doing...valet park and let the front desk know the situation. We were told we didn't have to pay the fee for valet under the circumstances. When enough resort guests do this, maybe then they will really crack down on the people who shouldn't be there.
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
wdwemployee
Earning My Ears

you may leave your vehicle parked. they only tow employee cars
wdwemployee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwemployee View Post
you may leave your vehicle parked. they only tow employee cars
That's a terrible suggestion considering guests have seen cars being towed one right after the other out of the lot!

They may not do a great job of enforcing the 3 hour window, but wouldn't it be a pretty big bummer if they're care happened to be one of the ones that got picked?!

Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Park at TTC and monorail to the CR and then walk or monorail over.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #19
thatcrazydisneygirl
Mouseketeer

I'm surprised by what everyone is saying! Back in early 2011, I routinely parked at the contemporary and walked over to the Magic Kingdom without any issues whatsoever. Then again, at that point in time, I was a cast member. I never noticed the lot to be full, in fact, often I was easily able to locate a spot. I can understand why Disney would be cracking down on this and I wouldn't advise the OP to park there, but having done so easily 40+ times, I am just surprised that it's no longer an option.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatcrazydisneygirl View Post
I'm surprised by what everyone is saying! Back in early 2011, I routinely parked at the contemporary and walked over to the Magic Kingdom without any issues whatsoever. Then again, at that point in time, I was a cast member. I never noticed the lot to be full, in fact, often I was easily able to locate a spot. I can understand why Disney would be cracking down on this and I wouldn't advise the OP to park there, but having done so easily 40+ times, I am just surprised that it's no longer an option.
And as someone who has stayed at the Contemporary and had trouble finding a parking spot, I'm glad they are cracking down.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #21
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
You do know that they built the Bay Lake Tower (DVC resort) on the site of the former North Wing?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's exactly why they had to change it. Because people had the same reasoning, and people that were paying to stay at the resort were being inconvenienced. Guests started complaining.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
You may not have seen towing but I can assure you they do tow. I see it every trip at the Poly and frequently when visiting the other resorts.
I see them tow out of the BLT parking lot quite frequently. Several cars a day in fact...

To the OP. I would drop your family off at the CR and swing around and park the car in the TTC lot. They can check in at the restaurant, look around the Contemporary and you can get a nice parking spot in the TTC lot. If you are in the TTC lot before rope drop you usually are close enough to walk to the monorail (no tram ride necessary). Jump the monorail and get off at the CR. If you are staying in a Disney resort you will not have to pay to park in the TTC lot. If staying outside you will have to pay.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
ChancesAre
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
I see them tow out of the BLT parking lot quite frequently. Several cars a day in fact...

To the OP. I would drop your family off at the CR and swing around and park the car in the TTC lot. They can check in at the restaurant, look around the Contemporary and you can get a nice parking spot in the TTC lot. If you are in the TTC lot before rope drop you usually are close enough to walk to the monorail (no tram ride necessary). Jump the monorail and get off at the CR. If you are staying in a Disney resort you will not have to pay to park in the TTC lot. If staying outside you will have to pay.
But our experience has been that he TTC monorail does not run early enough for our 7:00 a.m. Chef Mickey ADR. If there's a way to make it to a 7:00 ADR at Contemporary by parking at the TTC, I'd like to know how to do it for our trip next week. I'd much rather park there than pay for valet parking.
ChancesAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
owl0306
Mouseketeer

valet park. no time limit.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #26
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancesAre View Post
But our experience has been that he TTC monorail does not run early enough for our 7:00 a.m. Chef Mickey ADR. If there's a way to make it to a 7:00 ADR at Contemporary by parking at the TTC, I'd like to know how to do it for our trip next week. I'd much rather park there than pay for valet parking.
I'm unfamiliar with the hours of the monorail, but if it's not running and you don't want to pay for valet you'll have to utilize the 3 hour time window and then move your car to the TTC.

It's not quite as convenient, but it's not the end of the world. Just comes with the territory of not staying at CR and having a very early ADR, unfortunately.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: