Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #16
dara00
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Can't wait to hear about it!

First Disney Trip 4/1992 ~ 7th Grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 4/1994 ~ 9th grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 3/1998 ~ College Spring Break with then bf now dh ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 8/2006 with dh and 17 mos dd ~ DLR / 3/2007 with dh and 23 mos dd ~ AK / 12/2007 with dh, 2.5 yr dd and 6 mos ds ~ MK & Epcot / 5/2009 with dh, 4 yr dd, and 2 yr ds ~ DLR & CA /1/2012 with dh, 6 yr dd, 4 yr ds, and 17 mos ds ~ MK & DHS / 11/2012 for my birthday and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon with dh ~ Marathon & Epcot / 6/2013 with dh, 8 yr old dd, 6 yr old ds, 2.5 yr old ds ~ all!

dara00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #17
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I've been not-so-patiently waiting for this!!! Subbing!

Ooooh, and I'm FIRST!
YAY! So glad you are here Karen! I am trying to write as much as I can when I have time so I can keep up with the demand... and also make sure this TR is done before we leave for Disney World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I'm here!!!! I'm SO excited for this TR you have no idea!

Wow, that IS a tiny airport you landed in! I thought the one in NY that I was telling you about on Twitter was small, but it's huge compared to that one!

That's so weird that it was humid in CA! I didn't know CA got humid either, I thought they had perfect, dry weather in the 70's year round!

Your hotel room looks nice! It was walking distance from DLR? That's one of my requirements for a DLR trip, I want to be able to walk there, and by walk, I don't mean walk for 20 minutes, I mean, I want to step out of the door and be in the parks!

Can't wait to read more!
Aww YAY! I'm glad you're here and I'm SUPER glad you're so excited for my TR! I think it'll be a good one! We got so much done and I feel like I have tons to share!

Haha no I was not joking, it was so tiny! But it wasn't bad and the people were very friendly at that airport. I will definitely fly there again next trip to Disneyland!

UGH I swear we just have bad luck with humidity. Like on our wedding day, it not only rained (and our plan was to have the ceremony outside), but it was also SUPER humid... which is NOT the norm for Seattle! I think humidity just likes to torture me.

Our hotel room was very nice, and we only paid $109 a night! Not bad considering it is LITERALLY across the street from Disneyland and really is a 5 minute walk. I mean, you have to walk across the street, then down the little area where the shuttles drop off people, and then you're at the bag claim. I think it's probably the closest one... even closer than Disneyland Hotel!

Not quite as close as Beach Club is to Epcot, but still, I was impressed. And it made a WORLD of difference after our days in the parks where our feet were just hurting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm so excited for this! And you know I'm here. Because duh.

I'm so glad that yall wanted to experience Disneyland for what it is, and not what it is compared to WDW. That is exactly how I want to do it if I ever get there myself. I believe we've talked about this on twitter before, but I will never understand how people can be so petty about the differences in the parks. They act like it's some big competition, when of COURSE it isn't. They are both DISNEY. Ugh. But yeah. Good for yall!

Hahha aww, what a precious hotel worker smiling for your picture. I can't believe how out in the open stuff is at DL! Like oh hey, there it is. HAHHA.

KEEP GOING!!!
HAHA YAY! So glad you're here, Marissa. It just wouldn't be the same without you.

Yeah, I just don't like the whole like, angry battles I've seen over which is better. NEITHER IS BETTER, they're both different from each other. Like you might have a preference of which you enjoy better, but you don't need to be a nasty noodle about it. That's right, a nasty noodle.

Hahaha, that guy just had me dying! I'm still laughing at that photo.

And yes, I was very much thrown off by how it's like... You can be standing across the street with normal people and staring at the entrance to Disneyland. Very weird. I'll get into that more later in my TR.

I have another chapter or two written up! I'll probably post it tonight or tomorrow morning depending on how busy our night is. I CAN'T WAIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenGrampy View Post
Joining in. We will be there in 16 more days.
Awesome, and welcome! I'm so happy you've joined!! How exciting that you'll be there so soon!! We just had an amazing time and I am seriously excited for anyone who gets to go there in the next few weeks. It's breath-taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Sue Oz View Post
You had me hooked from.........."It's time for our holiday tale to begin, there's no turning back now" so............. I have "come all the way in"!!!

Can't wait to hear more. I am way over here in Australia and have visited Disneyland 3 times ( so far!!! ) in my life. I will be doing a really big trip in 2014 that will see us getting to WDW for the very first time. I am keen to hear your tale and hear what you think of my favourite place in the whole wide world!!!

Looking forward to more
Haha I am so glad you like that little quote. It's just so well done, can't wait to even get to that part...

That's impressive that you've been to DL 3 times all the way from Australia!! And how exciting you'll be going to WDW for the first time in 2014! Oh my goodness, you are just going to absolutely LOVE it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Joining in!
YAY! Obviously glad you're here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBearcat View Post
I'm here now let this Disneyland party begin
WOOHOO! I can't wait to post my next update here tonight or tomorrow!!
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407-W-DISNEY View Post
I'm here!!! Cant wait to hear all about your trip!
YAY! And I am SO excited to share it, we had such a wonderful time! So happy to have you in on the fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora1972 View Post
Excited to hear about the rest of your trip! I read your previous trip report when we returned from our WDW trip in May. I needed a Disney fix and picked yours because you used the word "goober"! I'm a proud goober myself! I've never been to Disneyland. Its cool that you can just walk across the street from your hotel! It sounds like you had a great trip so far!
Thank you, I think it'll be a good one!! And that's awesome you read about our last trip to WDW! I find myself reading people's TRs to help with those Post-Disney Blues, haha.

Also, love that you are a goober as well! Hahaha.

Disneyland is really neat in seeing the history of where it all began! It was very surreal to just walk across the street and be strolling into the park! It took a little getting used to, that's for sure, especially since we're used to staying on-site in Disney World and no off-site hotels are anywhere in sight really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Okay, so I started slacking on your PTR (sorry!!!! I am so ashamed of myself...), but I'm all in for this TR!!

Almost this entire update had me but those parts especially had me !

I think I would be like your husband, being so worried about getting there early that we get there TOO early, especially with airports!! I FREAK. OUT. about even the thought of missing a flight, so we are usually there extraordinarily early, and it has helped us out more than once when the check in counter was a madhouse.

Oh my gosh, how can I not mention the luggage tags?! Where on earth did you get those or did you make them? They are FABULOUS!!

I find it slightly odd that a hotel across the street from Disneyland does not have anywhere to store your luggage??? I'm sure they have to have people coming in at all times of the day who just like you want to get straight to the parks! At least you didn't have to wait too long for your room, although when Disneyland is across the street yelling in your face for you to come on in, even five minutes must feel like an eternity!! It does look like a really nice room though, and you just can't beat being so close to the park gates.

This is how excited I am about this TR!!
Haha doooon't even worry about it. I'm SO far behind on way too many TRs and PTRs, and I feel awful! I have just been so stinkin' busy, but I'm really hoping to catch up soon, while trying to make sure I keep this TR going! It's a hard balancing act, so don't feel bad!

Hahaha I'm glad my update cracked you up because I was dying at some of this stuff!

When we walked up to the ticket counter and they had a sign out I was cracking up. I mean, we arrived THAT EARLY?! Matt had a look on his face of just sadness that he couldn't have his coffee, hahaha. I'm definitely the type to arrive early, as well, but we were just ridiculous.

Thank you for the compliment on our luggage tags! I actually made them myself! Not gonna lie, I was pretty proud of them! I even made separate ones for our WDW trip, too. I actually threw them together in Microsoft Word, it's pretty easy to do! Then I just had FedEx print them, and I laminated them at the store!

Okay so, it was kind of weird. Like, after the guy told us our room would be ready in like 20 minutes, we were like, "Okay, well can we just store our bags?" and he kind of looked at them and was like "umm well, not really sure we can fit them..." and I was a weebit annoyed because like you said, wouldn't you have a lot of people who want to store luggage when they can't check in?! I just thought it was silly and we decided to just wait it out. I mean, I'm glad we did anyway because I really wanted to change and do my hair, but it definitely seemed bizarre to me!

The room and location was perfect though, seriously. And the fact he upgraded us for free was REALLY nice, so that more than made up for the half hour wait!

It makes me so happy that you're so excited for my TR! Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
We have been looking forward to this TR and are so glad it is here! We frequently visit DL, and used your TR for all sorts of great ideas while getting ready for our WDW trip, so reading about your DL experience will be fun. It is great to appreciate each resort for the unique things it has to offer, and they are all so much fun. We can't wait to read more.
Aww I'm so glad you're here! I remember getting some great advice from you for this trip, so thank you!! I'm glad my TR came in handy, as well!

I can't wait to share the whole thing with you guys! Again, glad you're following along!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeer70 View Post
Hooray!!! So ready to join in for another Dani and Matt adventure (and live vicariously through your DL trip report! It's on my bucket list and I WILL get there one day.)
YAY! Super happy you're here for yet another dorky Dani and Matt adventure. I have to say, you should most definitely try to make it out there! Hopefully this TR helps persuade you a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dara00 View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to hear about it!
I can't wait to share more! Glad you're back in for another one of my TRs.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
GatorMommy2007
Mouseketeer

Always love your reports! Subbing in for this one as well!

GatorMommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Chapter Two: I’ve got a GOLDEN TICKET!
Day 1: November 29th, 2012

As we left off, we were FINALLY making our way over to Disneyland!! I was so excited, I could hardly contain myself.

Now, in Disneyland, it’s a lot more common to stay at a “Good Neighbor Hotel”, meaning an off-site but close-by hotel. Disneyland does not have the space like Disney World in terms of creating more resorts/hotels,

So, Disneyland instead teamed up with certain hotels, calling them “Good Neighbor Hotels” where you can book Disney packages. We’d considered staying at the Grand Californian.. until we saw the price tag.

I think the only way we’ll ever stay there is if we buy into DVC, hahaha.

ANYWAY, the nice thing about our hotel that we chose was the location. It was literally right across the street from the Disneyland entrance. The photo below shows the view from right in front of our hotel.

We walked across the street and of course I made us take photos in front of the sign!

The walk is maybe 5 minutes, and then you’ve reached the ticketing area, right before you go through bag check/into the parks area.

We couldn’t go in quite yet because we had a few big things we needed to take care of first!

We approached the ticketing booth and the CM who helped us was super nice! I wish I remembered her name because she was just so friendly and helpful.

We told her we wanted to purchase PREMIER ANNUAL PASSPORTS!

Okay, for those of you who have been following along with my PTR, you’ll obviously remember how Matt and I made the decision to buy these.

If you didn’t follow my PTR, Matt and I figured out pricing-wise that we would actually save money between all of the trips we have planned for the next year if we bough the Premier Annual Passport (the AP that gets you into BOTH parks for a year), vs. buying tickets for each individual trip.

This was a huge decision because of the large amount of money this requires. I mean, these things are not cheap… $850 per pass!

I don’t think people buy these very often because the woman had to go and get them from a different booth or something, haha.

She handed us the pamphlet that explains what exactly the Premier Annual Passport is, but we’d done our research and knew what we were getting ourselves into, then asked for our IDs.

Obviously, like I said it gets us into both Disneyland and Disney World parks, along with all waterparks in Disney World, and Disney Quest. It also gets us a 20% discount on most Disney merchandise, and 10-15% off most food in Disneyland parks.

Disney World there are less food discounts, but you do still get the 20% off merchandise (which is super helpful, by the way!).

We were both ridiculously excited, and I just HAD to take photos of the whole experience… because like I said in my intro, I’m a goober.

While we waited for her to input all of our info into the system, I was getting antsy looking at the entrance…

We told her it was my first visit and my birthday, and she gave me a birthday pin which she decorated all awesomely! Probably the best one I’ve ever gotten!

She also gave Matt an “I’m Celebrating” pin, which I thought was pretty cute.

Finally, after we signed a few papers and whatnot, we were given…

THE GOLDEN TICKETS!!!!

Oh Mylanta. We were both SUPER excited. I mean, this is the ultimate park ticket right there!

I don’t think this grin wiped off my face for awhile.

While there, she also printed out our Holiday Time Tour tickets for Saturday, as well.

We thanked her and were finally on our way into Disneyland! Obviously that was our number one stop, since we had to go into the park where it all began.

I just loved how they decorated even the GATES. I mean, Disney is just the best when it comes to the smallest details, right?

In Disneyland, they scan your tickets VERY differently than in WDW. There are no finger scanners or anything like that; instead, they scan a barcode on the back of your ticket.

I think this is because there are a lot of locals who go to Disneyland and have APs, so the need to check people’s APs and IDs is much higher.

The downside to this is the lines to get in move MUCH slower. You often have people who haven't signed the back of the APs, don't have a photo, completely don't realize you need to buy your tickets at the ticketing booth, etc.

Anyway, when the CM scanned ours, she told us we needed to go get our photo taken with a PhotoPass photographer.

Basically after they did that, whenever our AP got scanned in the system, our photo would show up on their screen, thus not needing to see our IDs (though ours never showed up because it apparently takes 48 hours for the system to register them or something).

Fortunately, there was a PhotoPass photographer right near the front entrance by the train station, so we hopped in line to get our AP photos taken.

The train was coming in just as we walked in, and I was so excited!!

I mean, how cool is it to be seeing the original park?! I was in awe, and we hadn’t even made it to Main Street yet!

We decided this would be the perfect time to have a PhotoPass photographer take a photo of us looking all pretty, so after we got our AP photos taken, we had him take a few with my camera in front of the entrance.

I was pretty happy with how this one turned out below!

After we had our photos taken, we headed to Main Street for the first time… I just love this sign so much. I am fairly certain I got a little choked up seeing it.

The first thing I saw was the beautiful tree. Oh that tree was gorgeous! This being my first time in Disney during the Christmas season, I was immediately just thrown into sensory overload. Every ornament on the tree was just beautiful.

Honestly, you probably would have found me in a coma if I’d walked in at night and seen everything lit up, haha.

Matt then pointed out the neat gas lamps on the street. I LOVED these, it is just SO perfect. Some of them even had vintage little mailboxes attached to them.

Next: the reveal of the castle for the first time ever, and continuing to explore Main Street!

Continued in next post

Last edited by danimaroo; 12-17-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #22
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

...Now I want to go back to Disneyland during the Holidays. My husband will not be amused
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
DnA2010
Mouseketeer

Awesome update!

(I was hoping for the "I've got a golden ticket" video tho

Can't wait to hear more!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Awesome! We had one of those awesome "golden ticket" moments during our WDW trip when we figured out we could upgrade to Premier passes cheaper than buying Premium Passes for DL by applying the ticket cost from our trip to them. Melissa literally danced away from the ticket booth!

It is great to read about experiencing DL for the first time, especially from someone who can appreciate it so much. We can't wait for more.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #25
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

The whole entrance being just right next to the real world really throws me off! It's like HELLO DISNEYLAND. It's so cool though. I would love to be driving down the street on a normal day and just be able to wave to Disneyland or something. So cool.

The ticket picture system sounds pretty cool! Too bad it took longer to get in though!

Christmastime at Disney really is a sight to behold, huh? I just love it. That tree looks GINORMOUS! It looks much taller than the ones at WDW parks.

Can't wait for more!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #26
GatorMommy2007
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The whole entrance being just right next to the real world really throws me off! It's like HELLO DISNEYLAND. It's so cool though. I would love to be driving down the street on a normal day and just be able to wave to Disneyland or something. So cool.
Exactly, that is so cool, yet so different compared to WDW!

GatorMommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Oh, I so totally miss our year of golden tickets!!! But congrats to you guys for taking the plunge to get them, they are so amazing! The discounts alone made them so totally worth it for our trips. We bought SO much stuff with that 20% discount.

The Christmas decorations there look absolutely stunning!! I'm reading another DLR TR from someone who went for Halloween and was already wanting to go then, now I really want to go at Christmas too! They really go crazy with the decorations there...I love it!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #28
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
...Now I want to go back to Disneyland during the Holidays. My husband will not be amused
Hahaha, but it's so wonderful! And we haven't even gotten down Main Street yet! I'm sure you can convince him... But seriously, I just adored it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA2010 View Post
Awesome update!

(I was hoping for the "I've got a golden ticket" video tho

Can't wait to hear more!
Thanks! Hahahaha oh man, I was wondering if someone would bring up the Golden Ticket video! So get this, I actually told Matt hat we needed to take that video, but he was like, "AHH WE'LL GET IT LATER, WE NEED TO GET INTO THE PARKS NOOOOW!" And then we never shot the video. But I swear I sang and danced and it was glorious... and I totally garnered stares, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
Awesome! We had one of those awesome "golden ticket" moments during our WDW trip when we figured out we could upgrade to Premier passes cheaper than buying Premium Passes for DL by applying the ticket cost from our trip to them. Melissa literally danced away from the ticket booth!

It is great to read about experiencing DL for the first time, especially from someone who can appreciate it so much. We can't wait for more.
Heck yes, that moment is a darn good one! I'm with Melissa, because I was so dancing and singing and nothing was wiping that smile off of my face!

I can't wait to share more here with you shortly!!

Quote:

The ticket picture system sounds pretty cool! Too bad it took longer to get in though!

Christmastime at Disney really is a sight to behold, huh? I just love it. That tree looks GINORMOUS! It looks much taller than the ones at WDW parks.

Can't wait for more!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I'm totally going to discuss this more later, but it threw me off, too! It was something I thought was very cool going IN to the parks, but leaving was another story... and I promise I'll discuss it more, haha.

Yeah, the DL system was definitely different! I just wish our photos had shown up faster because they never did while we were there. Towards the end, this became a pain because we then had to pull out our IDs every time we went into a park. Wompwomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMommy2007 View Post
Exactly, that is so cool, yet so different compared to WDW!
It's cool buuuuut it has it's downfalls, which I will get to in a future update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Oh, I so totally miss our year of golden tickets!!! But congrats to you guys for taking the plunge to get them, they are so amazing! The discounts alone made them so totally worth it for our trips. We bought SO much stuff with that 20% discount.

The Christmas decorations there look absolutely stunning!! I'm reading another DLR TR from someone who went for Halloween and was already wanting to go then, now I really want to go at Christmas too! They really go crazy with the decorations there...I love it!

Well thank you! It'll probably end up being the only year we ever do it, though who knows. The discounts were SO helpful, seriously! We bought so much stuff and between merchandise and our food, the discounts really added up while on this trip!

I absolutely loved the decorations. They were absolutely beautiful. I'm sure Halloween is awesome, too! But the decorations at Christmas, along with Haunted Mansion Holiday and IASW Holiday are just absolutely stunning. Disney really knows how to go all out!!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #29
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Chapter Three: I feel like I'm in Bizarroland right now!

Before we rounded the corner to spot the castle, it felt like I was in Bizarroland... A place that seemed familiar but little things were off.

Again, I think I was just so overcome by happiness, disbelief I was here, and so many amazing sights that I felt like I was in a dream.

A happy one, but a dream nonetheless.

Then I saw the castle and I smiled. I mean, I knew it was going to be smaller, but I was still so happy to see it, and to see it all decorated! It was beautiful... as was the rest of Main Street.

One of the first places we actually stopped at was the Magic Shop. Matt had talked about how they once had this on Main Street in Disney World but they got rid of it, so he was very happy to see it in Disneyland.

We then stopped by the Emporium and picked out Christmas Disney shirts, along with a pin because we needed to find a special one to commemorate our trip!

After looking around a little bit, we finally decided to stroll down Main Street. Another thing that I found need were the little side streets they have. They made such good use out of all the space they can in Disneyland!

Right as we reached the main hub, I looked to my right and saw the Matterhorn! Now that is a really awesome sight to see... and I just couldnt wait to go on it!

We walked over to the Partners statue, and I dont know, it just seemed so perfect. I mean, this TRULY is where it all began!

After having a moment at the hub, we decided to make our way over towards the land where our first attraction was! Of course, we ran into one of our good ol' friends, a Disney duck!

They clearly have it good.

Now the weird thing in Disneyland is the layouts are kind of similar, but are also different. When you turn to the left while facing the castle, you will see the entrance to Adventureland on your left, with Frontierland straight ahead. It can kind of throw you off at first, but we figured wed just go towards Frontierland and see where it'd take us.

We strolled through, and finally found our destination for our first ride of the trip, over in New Orleans Square...

PIRATES!!

We looked at the wait time of a mere FIVE minutes and were very excited about the shortness of the line!

Okay, so, what is super neat bout Pirates in Disneyland is that it sits right under the Dream Suite!

The queue is VERY different here. Its mostly outside, and pretty tame outside of the awesome views of New Orleans Square.

My mind was pretty blown by New Orleans Square. The decorations and the design of that area were just unreal.

But I would explore that a bit more later, so I quickly snapped some shots as we strolled through the queue, and finally found ourselves inside.

We hopped onto our boat, with the CMs putting us in the very front row.

Of course, even in Disneyland, there is NO DANCING ALLOWED. Haha, this cracked me up as it always does!

One of the coolest thing we first noticed (and had heard about) was that Blue Bayou looks over Pirates. So as you go through the attraction, you can see the restaurant and it looked beautiful. It got me THAT more excited that we'd be having my birthday dinner there the following night!

This part you just float along, listening to frogs croak while the old man plays the banjo.

Going into Pirates, I knew a few things of it. I'd heard it was overall better than WDW's version, and a bit longer, and it also had more than just one drop.

As we floated nicely by the old man playing the banjo, I knew the first drop was coming as we suddenly stopped before a dark tunnel.

Next thing I knew, we were FLYING down the drop, which seemed a little more intense than the one in Disney World.

As we reached the bottom, I was excited to see everything... and then we were splashed like crazy!

Oh my gosh, I mean, we were both wet!

I looked over at Matt and we both laughed but were also surprised as how much water landed on the two of us in the front.

After we got over our initial shock from the splash of water, we enjoyed our voyage where dead men tell no tales.

My first impression? WOW. I mean, some of the rooms I'd never seen before were AWESOME.

I captured a few, but I especially loved this room below. It just looked so cool, more than anything else.

Another fun thing in Disneyland! The mist shows BOTH Davy Jones AND Blackbeard! It keeps everyone happy!

Sorry, this shot was a little wonky, so you get half of Blackbeards face.

I know a lot of people in WDW miss Davy Jones, so maybe they'll go the same way and put in both of these lovely pirates.

The cannon scene was similar to WDW, but believe it or not, I'd say WDW does that battle scene better. The ship seems bigger, as is the fortress, so it was kind of interesting to see how different the two are from each other, even though its the same scene.

For some silly reason, I'd never noticed this scene with Captain Hook and Smees-pirate lookalikes until now. I pointed it out to Matt, exclaiming SMEE! He told me, no, thats not Smee... but then on a later trip on Pirates, he agreed there were similarities because a pirate who looked like Hook was next to him!

I don't know, I just think they look too much alike to not be a little nod to those two!

There were a LOT of extra scenes that you dont see in Disneyland, so I have to give the nod to DL's version of Pirates. It was most excellent and not one to be missed!

I will say that WDW has a better queue and a few of the scenes I prefer, but overall, DL has an awesome Pirates.

(Keep reading below!)

Continued in next post

Last edited by danimaroo; 12-17-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #30
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Chapter Four: HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!

Anyhoot, after we got off Pirates, I had to take a photo of Matt and his t-shirt to show you guys the splash that hit us!

It might not seem like a lot there, but it really was way more than I was expecting... but this wouldn't be the wettest you'd see us today, oh no, there was something more traumatic to come in the near future... DUN DUN DUN!

Our next stop was a no-brainer. We'd both been DYING to see this one, in fact, I'd say it was probably the most anticipated attraction for the both of us...

Yes, Haunted Mansion Holiday!

Okay, I will preface this with that I am going to show photos of the inside along with discussion of the attraction itself, so if you dont want to be spoiled on any of it, you should skip all of this. Otherwise, keep reading, because this attraction is something you dont want to miss!!

Immediately, I was in awe. The outside was just completely decked out for Nightmare Before Christmas. I mean, look at it!!

Because this was also my first time ever seeing Haunted Mansion in DL, I was just amazed at how neat the mansion itself is! VERY different from WDW, but yet so amazing in its very own and unique way.

I loved how the mansion fits in so very well with New Orleans Square.

I'm fairly certain I took 8 bajillion photos while in the queue, which was again, a 5 minute wait.

Matt was pretty excited to finally get to ride this, as he's been a huge Nightmare Before Christmas fan since it very first came out.

We waited for a few more minutes before we were finally let inside the foyer.

The first interesting thing I noticed was that while in WDW, there is a fireplace and portrait, you didn't see that here.

The décor was still fantastic, again creepy but with that Nightmare Before Christmas flair.

We were then led into the stretching room, all while listening to a very different narration that they changed for the HM Holiday set up.

As we walked in and looked up, the portaits were very different than what you'd normally expect!

All very peaceful and normal, that is, until the door shut, and the room began to stretch!

Okay, this part was crazy to me because of how much you can tell that when the room stretches, you are clearly in an elevator! In WDW, you do not go down at all, the ceiling itself moves.

Anyway, as the room began to stretch, the portraits transformed and I was in utter amazement.

Then, as we all looked up in anticipation of seeing our lovely ghost host, we were presented with something much more than I could have ever imagined...

However, I didn't snap a photo of it this ride as I wasnt expecting it, so you'll have to wait and see here in a future update.

After we walked out of the stretching room, we were brought to the portraits area. Yes, very different from WDW in that you walk past the portraits and also the busts that look like theyre watching you from all angles.

And yes, the portraits did indeed change!

As we went from that room into the queue area, again, my jaw dropped (I say this a lot but seriously, it did). Right before me was this amazing display, and an absolute sight to see.

We hopped into our Doom Buggy and were on our way, and guys... this ride was mind-blowing. When they say they transform the whole thing, they are not joking. EVERYTHING was different, and it was unbelievably fantastic.

They even had an amazing ACTUAL gingerbread house in the ballroom scene! Apparently every year they make a different gingerbread display for that scene. And get this... It actually SMELLED like gingerbread as you passed by it.

Oh Disney, you are just KILLING it.

They had an amazing animatronic Jack and Zero waiting where the caretaker and his dog usually are, and again, I'm fairly certain if you took a photo of my face through this entire ride, it would be like: :O

Yeah, my mind was blown.

After going through the cemetery with the hill of pumpkins and the pumpkin angels and the pumpkin singing busts, we came upon where you'd normally find the Hitchhiking Ghosts. I found myself waiting in anticipation as we approached to see what they did with this area, and wow. I mean... Wow.

They put in the most amazing Oogie Boogie animatronic. This thing looked so real you'd think it was a real-life Oogie Boogie and his lovely wheel of Tricks and Treats!

We then turned and faced those fun tricky mirrors and they even changed those to be NBC-themed for Oogie's wheel! I think this ride-through we had a candy cane in our Doom Buggy, so we lucked out with a treat... this time anyway.

We hopped off our Doom Buggy, and went up the little walkway, which is where they put the Mini Leota... only here, it was Sally telling us to Hurry Back!

She was so cute and just wanted us to visit again. We told her we would most definitely be back, and then walked out... where I promptly stared at Matt and told him that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

He agreed, and I could tell he was very happy with everything we'd just witnessed.

One interesting thing to note; the DL version IS definitely a lot shorter than WDW. There is no staircase room, the corridor with all of the portraits actually you see in the queue line, same with the library/staring busts area... there's no blinking eyes/wallpaper area, and mini Leota is on your walk out, versus before you get off the ride.

That being said, while the original is still both of our favorites, this NBC was AMAZING and I absolutely loveloveloved it. Going into it I thought it'd only have a few minor changes but this is basically a brand new attraction in itself.

Now I understand why they dont change it in WDW; you have so many more locals who go to DL, it's justifiable that you makeover the HM to keep people who are there weekly happy... But in WDW, with so many tourists, some of which may only ever get to go once, they want to see the original ride vs. a layover... Otherwise you'd probably have a lot of upset tourists.

We hopped off of Haunted Mansion, and knew exactly where we'd be heading next... and let's just say it ends up being quite a traumatizing experience.

Continued in next post

Last edited by danimaroo; 12-17-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: