DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
CaskPeg
Mouseketeer

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Early Owner

My DH and I bought back in 1993 and enjoyed tickets until 2000! We were sold and signed the same day....in fact that night we stayed for our first night in our own one-bedroom at OKW. With half of the family in Florida...it is a great place to visit and kick-back these days now that the kids are grown.

I will do my 5th Disney Cruise in May aboard the Fantasy...already booked! To me, currently, OKW is "coming home" each time. I own at OKW, own at SSR, have vacationed in many of the other properties.

By far DVC is consistently a top-knotch stay what-ever the location!

CaskPeg
Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

I could LIVE in a two bedroom villa for the rest of my life perfectly happily.
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #18
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe
That's what I thought as well, we think the 2br villa is bigger than our house.

Jousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Our last 6 day trip we didn't even make it into Animal Kingdom. That's one of my favorite parks. I loved that I didn't really care to be missing my favorite park because I knew I would be back in a few months and could go then. I was a die hard commando before DVC because I never knew when I was going back and I wanted to do it all. It's amazing how much fun and relaxing Disney can be without the pressure to do it all. It surprised me that I like it even more that way. So I guess the main the value for me is knowing that I will be going back.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #20
BabsBunny
Mouseketeer

Our kids are in college and high school, plus they both have jobs, so it's near impossible for the four of us to get down there these days. But for DH and I, it's a convenient way for us to get away and relax. We also book a one bedroom, as we enjoy the home feel of it.

We were down there last March for three nights, in October for three nights, and now we're scheduled to go back in February for three nights. MCO is the only airport in Florida we can get a direct flight to, and we don't want to waste a day in airports or have to worry about delays in the winter months. We use JetBlue AmEx for both personal and work, so one of our flights is usually free. We also love that we don't have to deal with renting a car. Three hour flight and we are on a bus headed to our resort. No muss, no fuss.

So yeah, DVC has been of great value for us. It's a getaway that really does feel like a home away from home. And it's a great excuse to get us away from the office for a little mental health break.

DVC Fan and AKV Owner
BabsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Personally, I think the actual "best kept secret" about DVC is the full kitchen and washer/dryer. I believe these amenities truly set the villas apart from a standard hotel room, even more than the living room (since regular hotels offer suites, as well).

These two save money and sanity in many ways. Eating in the kitchen for half (or more) of our meals means less cash outlay for restaurants (thus more stuff ). The kitchen also provides a solid reason to break away from the parks (to eat), allows for better food, and permits gatherings of family/friends who may have dispersed through the day.

The washer/dryer simply saves money on airline baggage fees (and sometimes time waiting at the check bag carousel). However in reality, it actually saves on shipping costs, as we bring a partial empty suitcase for the stuff we buy (as mentioned above), since we bring fewer clothing. The appliances also help with emergencies (if DD spills on her cloths or should DD and DW wander onto Kali/Grizzly River Rapids).

Of course, we lobe many of the other amenities mentioned previously (benefits of staying on site, sharing with family/friends, knowing a reserved vacation is always on the horizon, etc).

Of course, the look on DD's face every time she realizes "we own part of that hotel". You know, she doesn't know a world without a Disney park, and that means I've accomplished one of my life goals

I guess the intangibles truly provide the greatest value of DVC.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I think the actual "best kept secret" about DVC is the full kitchen and washer/dryer.
I agree with you, and would really go a step further. It's that they have most if not all of the comforts of home. We don't really use these things to save much money, to be honest. But it is nice to have a home base where we can stretch out. Where the kids can watch something without bothering the adults. Where we can toss stuff in the dryer if we get caught in a downpour. Where we can have breakfast without getting out of our PJs and/or freaking out the other guests.

Almost all of our "land" vacations are either in a timeshare (with an absolute minimum of a 2BR for the four of us---these days, we prefer a 3BR if we can get it) or a privately-owned home that we rent out. I understand people stay in hotels, but even a two-room suite would last us a day or two before it just wasn't fun anymore.

But, again---those things can be had either by owning or by renting. The right choice depends on how often you go, and how far into the future you will continue to return.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!

I pay monthly for my BLT for about half of what it might cost to stay nightly at the Contemporary, garden wing room. This year, I have stayed 5 nights in a studio at AKL and I stay 4 nights at BLT next week, in a 1 bedroom. Regardless of the downpayment (which, after a year, do you really miss?) and the annual dues, it is, by far, a better value than staying at a deluxe resort without DVC, especially if you go to WDW or DLR at least once a year, and if you go in larger groups.

As far as non-monetary value, it can't be beat. To be able to have the room size fit your family and to have more room space is important. Separate spaces for larger families, I think, is important. More amenities available, such as movies for times when you just need to relax in the room and activities around the resort for when you have just had 'too much' of everyone is nice to have.

But the fact that you can guarantee family trips to the best place on the planet is just worth it for me. I want to go more than once a year, and I can now, and not spend a ton of money.

Plus... I feel pretty special when I get on a bus for my DVC resort... I was always in awe of 'those people' when I was younger... so I bought in!

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)

Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #24
3 Hobbits 2 Disney
Working Our Way Home

Much like an earlier poster, the ability to "force" a getaway as well as being a familiar escape. Last week we realized we needed to get away as a family - Christmas is coming at the midpoint of a stressful year. With some pixie dust I snagged a good flight, a 1 BR at home, and some great ADRs. With our APs we can park at no additional cost - as little or as much as we want to.

That's it's value to me.

The Hobbits
3 Hobbits 2 Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
My value of owning DVC is less monetary vs knowing that my hard-working DH will actually commit to several vacations a year & relax instead of working like a dog all the time. It's instilled the travel bug in him.
When DH said we should buy 150 points instead of a smaller contract I was all . It hit me about a week ago that he did this so that I would commit to taking a real vacation with him every year.

What can I say? I knew going into this marriage that I wasn't marrying a dummy.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
Personally, I think the actual "best kept secret" about DVC is the full kitchen and washer/dryer. I believe these amenities truly set the villas apart from a standard hotel room, even more than the living room (since regular hotels offer suites, as well).

These two save money and sanity in many ways. Eating in the kitchen for half (or more) of our meals means less cash outlay for restaurants (thus more stuff ). The kitchen also provides a solid reason to break away from the parks (to eat), allows for better food, and permits gatherings of family/friends who may have dispersed through the day.

The washer/dryer simply saves money on airline baggage fees (and sometimes time waiting at the check bag carousel). However in reality, it actually saves on shipping costs, as we bring a partial empty suitcase for the stuff we buy (as mentioned above), since we bring fewer clothing. The appliances also help with emergencies (if DD spills on her cloths or should DD and DW wander onto Kali/Grizzly River Rapids).
BINGO!!

Stephen
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
traceyg
Mouseketeer

Location: Residing in Texas and counting the days until I go home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
I have said this too! If I win the lottery I may just buy enough points to cover 365 days worth of heaven! and I'd have maid service every four days to boot!
Can you just imagine.... "no, sorry sir, room ### grand villa (or two bedroom) cannot be booked, so and so family currently occupies it year round".
traceyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

The value for me is staying at a deluxe hotel without the deluxe price.

Also having a prepaid vacation to enjoy anytime of the year. Its great to go and not have to pay for the hotel at the time of the vacation so you can spend your money on other things.

We just went this weekend,stayed at BW in BWview 1bedrm for 2 nights. We got free pArking at Epcot (had to pickup DD there at the front gate), used the monorail to go to the BLT TO watch the MVMCP fireworks from the TOWL, toured the GF and enjoyed the christmas music in the lobby and then took the bus back to BW. Since its prepaid, I didn't have to come up with the money this weekend.

Also having the washer and dryer, the extra space,king size bed (a good night sleep is the best value) and the kitchen is great too.

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
Jen_in_NH
waffles and snow seem to go together for me
Starts snowball fights in bars
I can't imagine anything more lovely than a rooster with a leprechaun hat
Answer - HOUSE!

We rented points for our first stay, and bought DVC before we left. The space to spread out, the full kitchen, and laundry were big sells for us. We travelled with 8 of us in a 2 bedroom, and the money (and sanity) we saved by cooking for ourselves, drying clothes, and such was unbelievable.

I love the rooms, and the resorts, as well, but the convenience was what sold us.
Jen_in_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #30
moredisneyplease
Working towards more DVC!

My value is the time spent/memories made with my kids. I visited WDW many times prior to having kids or purchasing DVC. when my first kid was born I purchased my first contract. Now I have 2 boys (7 & 5) and DVC allows us to play there every summer for 10-14 days! sometimes DH joins but most of the time not (he doesnt like Disney). Either way, its become a family tradition for my kids and me! we spend all year planning it (I let them pick resort, parks, special meals,etc) and then have a blast each time we go!!!!!

Honestly, if I didnt have DVC I would have probably only taken them once or twice during their childhood but investing in the time in advanced (buy purchasing DVC) guarantees the trip/memories!

OH and the amount of money we save by eating breakfast in, packing lunches, packing snacks, bringing own water bottles, and eating a few dinners in pays for the DVC!!!!!

I've been booed
moredisneyplease is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: