Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
WolfpackFan
Retired and loving every minute of it!!

Live TR from AKV-Kidani (12/4-12/11)

Sorry I haven't posted anything yet, like I usually do. Just too busy having fun. Checked into AKV-Kidani yesterday. No problems with room (Savannah studio). Lots of animals to see. In fact, looking out our window I can see four zebras right now. We spent our first night (Tuesday) at Art of Animation. Lots of fun, but it was nice to check into our "real" home. Big crowds over at MK today for the opening of the New Fantasyland. We went to MK and Epcot yesterday and AK this morning. Going back to Epcot this afternoon for our CP dinner package at Garden Grill. We bought the DVC Premium AP passes this trip with plans to use them a second time next October. Overall this is just a nice relaxing trip. That is the great thing about DVC (and also having AP's), if you don't do something this trip, you will be back. I am going to try to upload some pictures to Google Picasa and will post the link when done. If you have any questions, let me know.

My Travel Pictures
WolfpackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

I love Kidani!! We stayed there in June, and were one room off the elevator, and overlooking the the covered entryway where the buses and cars pull up all day and night!! I thought this would be a bad room, but we couldn't hear anything from the elevators or vehicles. As a bonus, being so close to the elevator, we were right next to the savannah overlook. So even though we had a standard view, it really worked out.

Have a terrific vacation!! If you get a chance, let us know about the new Fantasyland.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Oh I am hoping to get reservations for there in August! Thanks for the TR.

I am trying to talk DH into letting us spend the first night at the Art of Animation also. He doesn't seem to want to do that (he would prefer our trip be a little shorter.....I can only book 4 nights in a 2 bedroom at AKV).

Did your family enjoy the one night at AoA? We will have 5 or 6 with us (not sure yet, we are a family of 4 but told our DDs they could each bring a friend).
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Oh and we don't have enough points for a SV, so are there viewing areas at Kidani you can go to and still see the animals?
Thanks!
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
WolfpackFan

Friday morning update -

We had a great CP dinner last night at Garden Grill. Place was not crowded and had lots of time with the animals. The CP itself was as great as ever. If it doesn't get you into the Christmas mood nothing will. Also toured the Boardwalk resorts and looked at their Christmas decorations. I just love the gingerbread carousel at Beach Club. They were having some kind of ESPN event at Boardwalk and the place was packed last night. Not sure what was going on.

Plan for today is to head to MK shortly and we have lunch ADR's at Tony's Town Square. Then this afternoon we're doing the "Behind The Seeds" tour at The Land.

Someone asked how we liked Art of Animation. It was really neat and is now my favorite value resort. Very similar in layout to Pop Century but really neat theming.

Tuesday's Pictures
Wednesday's Pictures

My Travel Pictures
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackFan View Post
Friday morning update -

We had a great CP dinner last night at Garden Grill. Place was not crowded and had lots of time with the animals. The CP itself was as great as ever. If it doesn't get you into the Christmas mood nothing will. Also toured the Boardwalk resorts and looked at their Christmas decorations. I just love the gingerbread carousel at Beach Club. They were having some kind of ESPN event at Boardwalk and the place was packed last night. Not sure what was going on.

Plan for today is to head to MK shortly and we have lunch ADR's at Tony's Town Square. Then this afternoon we're doing the "Behind The Seeds" tour at The Land.

Someone asked how we liked Art of Animation. It was really neat and is now my favorite value resort. Very similar in layout to Pop Century but really neat theming.

Tuesday's Pictures
Wednesday's Pictures
there was an NFL game last night so ESPN Zone was probably packed with people watching.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
WolfpackFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
there was an NFL game last night so ESPN Zone was probably packed with people watching.
No this was something else. Some kind of awards ceremony at that club where they have the DVC mixers sometimes. They even had a red carpet. Very heavy security and all kinds of folks walking around in suits and fancy clothes.

My Travel Pictures
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
WolfpackFan

Picture update -

Here are my pictures from yesterday (Thursday).

My Travel Pictures
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
WolfpackFan

I am still debating which I like most - Jambo or Kidani. We are staying at Kidani this trip. One thing I like about Jambo is the larger lobby area. I like to get up early and go to the lobby and drink my coffee while I get caught up on the world on my iPhone. Well the Kidani lobby area is mighty small and even during the early hours there seems to be a lot of people there. I also like having easy access to Mara at Jambo. But I also like the parking better at Kidani plus I like the fact that it is all "ours", if you know what I mean. The pools are a tossup to me as we don't do much pool time.

My Travel Pictures
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Please keep posting, we are staying at Kidani in January for two nights. It will be our first stay at AKV.

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
WolfpackFan

Saturday morning update -

Good morning from Kidani.

Well today is hump day and we're going to just take it easy today. Kind of let our feet rest. Yesterday we went to MK in the morning. Had lunch at Tony's Town Square. First time we've eaten there, but we really liked it. I had the flatbread which was delicious and DW had spaghetti, which was very good also. After lunch we took the monorail over to Epcot and did the "Behind The Seeds" tour. DW is very active in our Church's community garden and this is the third time we've done the tour. It is really a great little hidden secret. With DVC discount, it only cost $15 and you get to go behind the scenes at the Land greenhouses. Fascinating how they grow the plants hydroponically. I highly recommend this tour to anyone who enjoys gardening.

After the tour, we came back to Kidani and rested a while before heading over to DHS for Osborne Lights. The lights were as great as usual. We then made our big mistake. There was a huge crowd leaving DHS and the line for the boat to Epcot was very long, so we opted to start walking. And we walked and walked and walked. By the time we got to Epcot, we were too tired to do much. We had planned on staying for EMH but did one ride on Soarin, had a burger at Electric Umbrellas and then headed back to Kidani, very tired.

A note on crowds. IMO they have been very, very heavy most everywhere we've been. I know this is subjective and depends on where you are and when, but I don't remember the crowds being this heavy this time of year (and we've been here many times this time of year). I guess it's the opening of New Fantasyland. Plus lots of cheerleaders and BTG's.

A hint for those booking Kidani. Request to be close to lobby. The hallways are very, very long. We requested close to lobby and are the first studio as you go down the hallway on the 3rd floor. I just walked the hallway to the end, just to see how long it is and I sure would hate having that long hallway facing me after coming back from a park. We've booked a 1BR here for DD's honeymoon in May and I need to call MS and request they be close to lobby.

Well that's about it for this morning. Like I said we're taking it easy today. Plan to eventually do a MK resort tour to look at Christmas decorations plus we've got to go over to VWL (our main home resort). We will probably end up at DTD tonight for dinner and do some shopping.

Here is a link to yesterday's pictures -

Friday's pictures

My Travel Pictures
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
mgroshans
DIS Veteran

Thursday night they had the college football awards show at Atlantic Dance Hall.
mgroshans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
WolfpackFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroshans View Post
Thursday night they had the college football awards show at Atlantic Dance Hall.
Thanks. I was wondering what it was.

My Travel Pictures
Old 12-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Love love love Kidani.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Enjoying your report, and your pictures are getting me excited for our trip this coming Wednesday! Thanks for sharing!
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: