Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

What accommodations for low visibilty issues?

The next time I go to WDW I may be accompanying a person with compromised vision. I have read about the Haunted Mansion issues and I will be there to be a guiding hand if she needs it, but what else can I do to help her out? Any other attractions (like POTC) that I should be aware of?
Thanks!
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
clm10308
DIS Veteran

Vision issues are so individualized that it is hard for anyone here to be very specific.

You should just ask your friend how you can help her best and let her knoe that you are wanteing to help her in any way to make her trip more enjoyable. It really depends if she she just has very poor acuity, trouble with light/darkness, accomidation issues, peripheral vision issues, blind spots, or a combination of any of these.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
KristinDisneyMom
Earning My Ears

I would go to guest services at the park.

I am legally blind myself and have a GAC that has a stamp for front row seating at many attractions/shows to accomadate. Your friend would need to explain her individual situation and limitations and from there cast members can easily assist.
KristinDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

we make sure we bring a small flashlight as my son finds most of the ride queues a bit dark for him. The cell phone flashlight apps worked pretty well too. We also did take some time to let his eyes adjust before going into very dark lines like the POTC line.

He had a terrible amount of trouble in space mountain which I don't find all that dark, but as long as he held the rail and walked slowly he was ok. (not so much for the people pushing behind us but once they realized I didn't mind them passing they were out of my hair). Same with RnR - it's not an overly dark location but he has a very hard time with it.

Haven't had the need to worry about a gac for shows this time as the one sit down show we did was beauty and the beast and he didn't care if he could see it or not. Typical 12 year old.

And remember too, that 'front' seating might not be the ideal location for your friend .
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

In addition to what the previous posters have said, I found it very helpful to ask to have moving walkways slowed down whenever possible. I have depth perception issues which are worse in low light, and it helped me to have a few extra seconds to get into ride vehicles.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Aerorea
Mouseketeer

If your friend has RP (or any other issue adjusting to light/dark), I highly recommend doing the "darker" rides at night - POTC, HM, etc. I have RP and see so much more detail in these rides at night.

Also, if she uses a white cane even occasionally, I also recommend that she use it at WDW. It lets the CMs know right away of vision impairment. I always get a GAC, but rarely have to show it because they notice my white cane.

Nov '12 @ Yacht Club (5th Anniversary)
May '12 @ Coronado Springs (Star Wars Weekend)
Nov/Dec '10 @ Yacht Club (3rd Anniversary)
Nov/Dec '09 @ Yacht Club (2nd Anniversary)
Dec '06 @ Port Orleans Riverside (Got Engaged!)
Dec '05 @ Port Orleans Riverside (Master's Graduation)
March '04 @ Caribbean Beach (Our first vacation together)
Aerorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorea View Post
If your friend has RP (or any other issue adjusting to light/dark), I highly recommend doing the "darker" rides at night - POTC, HM, etc. I have RP and see so much more detail in these rides at night.
Yes! The HM and Peter Pan are whole different rides for me after the sun goes down.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the replies. We went in September and everything went well. We did get a GAC to use for the theatre style shows and just made sure we got there early enough to get two seats in the first two rows--had to come back to Nemo though when we misjudged our time and all the close seats were filled.
Haunted Mansion was tough but we did it later in the week when I was getting accustomed to guiding her on those moving walkways. By the third day I knew what to do and she trusted my guidance.
Overall, a great trip.
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Just got back from WDW, and I have yet anotherr story to share about the Haunted Mansion.

I usually don't go on it myself because of the visibility issues going from outside to the foyer, stretching room, and load area. However, at one point during a solo morning at the MK I had time for just one ride, and I was right there, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I went up the the CM at the door and asked if I could enter through the alternate entrance at the unload area, like it said on my GAC.

Now, as a performer, I really admire how this guy stayed in character. However, as a guest who needed help, it drove me up the wall. He was frozen in place like something out of a wax museum; I don't think he even blinked the whole time I was talking to him. I called him by name, repeated myself, went to his other side in case he had bad hearing in one ear - no response. because of the low light, I became convinced he was some kind of mannequin, and jumped out of my skin when he finally came to life and talked to the couple behind me. So, kudos to him for being spooky.

However, the only words he would say to me were, "There. is. No. Other. Entrance. This. Is. The Only. Entrance." At this point, I was keyed up enough that I went in by myself, over my better judgment, saying, "Well, I hope I don't get hurt or cause an accident." Sure enough, I walked right into a wall. Another CM took pity on me, took my arm, and led me through the rest of the foyer and stretching room up to the moving walkway in the load area. I should have asked for his name, because I couldn't read his tag in the dark.

I guess I need someone with me not just to lead me, but to talk me out of being stubborn!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

I agree with the poster who suggested going to Guest Services upon entering the park. Perhaps they could help you with a note or GAC stating your specific vision needs.

We were treated with ultimate respect & caring attitudes when we were at WDW at Thanksgiving time. The CMs at Haunted Mansion listened, were polite, and helped with solutions to aid me. I don't have vision issues as you do, but I have other "different" issues from the norms.

I hope that your experience at HM is the same as mine. Kindness & helpfulness feel good!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorea View Post

Also, if she uses a white cane even occasionally, I also recommend that she use it at WDW. It lets the CMs know right away of vision impairment. I always get a GAC, but rarely have to show it because they notice my white cane.
this is excellent advice. I have a major problem where my eyes don't adjust. When I ride the darker rides at night, there is less of a problem with them. since it is already dark out. I don't use a cane and do have to show the GAC, the only place that ever gives me a problem is the Haunted Mansion.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
smidgy
dimples

this last trip we got a GAC for the first time, but not until towards the end of the trip. (hubby was hesitant).

we ended up at the guest services booth at the interantional gateway at epcot, and he stamped it for seating near the front for shows.

I asked him about the dark lines, ie, alternate entrances. I tried to explain to him that hubby is tired of bumpng into the "cattle pen" posts, getting bumps and bruises all the way through the line.. not to mention the people behind us pushing us, getting irritated that we are moving so slow, etc. also throw in the fun and games of him trying to see the clam shell on the nemo ride, for example, in the dark, focus on it, and then it moves, and try to board it, without killing himself.

and the CM always wants you to enter the next vehicle (clamshell, doom buggy, peter pan sailboat, whatever).. I find it's easier for him if enter the next, NEXT vehicle, gives him a little more time.. often the CMs get irritated with me. oh well.

anyway the CM at the booth said there is no way to skip the lines. I explained that we don't want to "skip" in front, we just want an alternate way so he doesn't bump his shins, foot, hip, etc. every few steps. the CM just kept repeating himself, so I said "nevermind" and figured I would just talk to any CMS at the rides entrances.. but we didn't bother with it.

at Le cellier, we had the earliest ADR possible. of course we know it is dark in there, but I added that we would like a table with as much light as possible. and I reiterated that at check in. somehow, they misplaced our name, and we weren't seated until after all the other 11:30 ADRS.

now, I looked around, and could see that some tables were actually a bit lighter than others. she tried to sit us in a dark corner I told her, no we need a table with more light. she took us over to a table in another corner. turns out the table right NEXT to it had a light pointing right down on it. I sat there and said "this will be fine"

she looked surprised.. I know by sitting in the middle table, we were keeping a bigger group from being sat together (there were 4 tops on either side of us), but, hey, I put it BOTH on the ADR AND said so when I checked in. all they said when I checked in was "the whole restaurant is dark". upon entering, I could see that some tables had more light than others.

sometimes, in order to advocate for your loved one (or yourself) you just have to be a little more, um, forceful.

Last edited by smidgy; 12-21-2012 at 12:56 AM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #13
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

I hate to say it Smidgy, but yes you do have to be a bit forceful sometimes. It is almost as if they chose not to listen to what you are trying to tell them, or they just don't give a darn Not all CM's are like that, but you do come across some that are. I really get annoyed when they say something to the effect, well the entire ride is dark ... yes it is, but I am not walking in the ride, I will be seated. duhhhhh Once I am seated my eyes will automatically go to where the most light is for me to see what I can see in the attraction.. but they don't care to understand this. I only pray that someday they don't have to experience what those of us with low vision have to deal with..
Old 12-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #14
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mickeyfan View Post
I hate to say it Smidgy, but yes you do have to be a bit forceful sometimes. It is almost as if they chose not to listen to what you are trying to tell them, or they just don't give a darn Not all CM's are like that, but you do come across some that are. I really get annoyed when they say something to the effect, well the entire ride is dark ... yes it is, but I am not walking in the ride, I will be seated. duhhhhh Once I am seated my eyes will automatically go to where the most light is for me to see what I can see in the attraction.. but they don't care to understand this. I only pray that someday they don't have to experience what those of us with low vision have to deal with..
I LOVE you!! ok, I'm over it now. but hubby has had a hard time even admitting he has a disablility. but this last trip (early dec) he finally said " I'm so tired of bumping into things, getting bruised, not seeing thing sI know I could see, OK, I'm ready to admit it and take wahtever help I can get."

It was SO annoying at Le Cellier. they were just like.. "It's ALL dark. of course, I am used to advocating for hubby, but I could see in an Instant where some tables had more light than others. they didn't even TRY! but, like a mother bear with her cubs, I can be a force to be reckoned with. I just plopped right down at that table with the light shining down on it and gave my "mom" look, in the eye, to the hostess seating us. and didn't need to embarass hubby at all. never even told him they tried to sit us at that other table... no need.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #15
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

At least at Disneyland there is also a narration device you can get which is supposed to sync itself to some rides like HM and provides narration for this with vision impairments. If it works like it is supposed to, it is pretty cool. You have to leave a deposit for it. The same device provides closed captioning as well.

I think there is something similar at wdw

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: