Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Despite the wait I'm glad Raglan Road was yummy Looking forward to more of your reviews!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Roma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
You are off to a great start! Can't wait to hear more.

Jill in CO

Thanks so much for reading! I am enjoying your reviews as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersette View Post
Oh, how I love Raglan Road! Just made an ADR for our trip in January. Can't wait.

Oh, Mr Roma, I don't think this is silly at all. I go to McDonalds sometimes JUST for their Coke. It's the perfect amount of carbonation for me. I can judge a place on that.
We really liked Raglan Road! I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it there every trip but that is certainly not because it lacks in the yummy food department.

Mr. Roma will be happy to hear you agree with his soda observations! There is a Taco Bell where we live that has the BEST Dr. Pepper. We too go there sometimes just for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Despite the wait I'm glad Raglan Road was yummy Looking forward to more of your reviews!
Glad you are here! Thanks for reading .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
Roma
Mouseketeer

Dole Whip

Dole Whip

This is another one of those Disney treats I had no idea existed until I came to the DIS, and all I can say is how on the earth did I not know about this swirl of goodness earlier!? I have to admit I chickened out a little bit and ordered the pineapple/vanilla swirl, but I can safely say I would have enjoyed the plain pineapple just as much. Despite it being 10:30 in the morning and slightly chilly, something about this completely hit the spot for both of us. I actually did not expect Mr. Roma to like this at ALL because he is typically not an ice cream fan. It only took a few bites, however, before we were hovering over each other waiting for it to be our turn to have a bite again. This is why it looks half eaten in the photo . The texture was impeccable and the very faintly sour taste of the pineapple added an unexpected surprise to your standard soft serve. This is a must do snack for us on future trips.

It was also around this time that I scored our reservation for BOG that night… and in between bites of this I started to panic a little bit over all the food we were going to have to try to consume that day (we also had the Christmas party that night…!).

Mr. Roma says:

I thought my wife was crazy. Who the heck gets ice cream at 10:30 in the morning?

After eating Dolewhip, the answer is this guy, that's who.

The pineapple-vanilla creamy goodness that was this masterpiece left me wishing we would have ordered more. It was satisfying in every way. The flavors were balanced and reasonable. The texture was soft and enjoyable. It was like pineapple and vanilla exploding in your mouth with all the enthusiasm of a jam-packed football stadium but the class of a ballerina.

I was very impressed. It definitely beats the Churro on its merits, but the churro maintains its spot as my favorite snack based on my own preference for dough or bread based snacks, as opposed to dairy.

I would highly recommend the Dolewhip for any snack-eating Disney-goer, at any time of the day.

---
Up Next: Lunch and a sweet surprise at Liberty Tree Tavern.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Roma
Mouseketeer

Liberty Tree Tavern

Liberty Tree Tavern

Only a short time after we finished our Dole Whip, Mr. Roma and I were starving again. Our ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern wasn't until 12:30 and it was only 11:30, so we went on the riverboat in an attempt to fill in the time. Unfortunately we were also exhausted so I couldn't tell you a single thing that happened on our ride because I'm fairly certain I was sleeping... whoops!

We got off the Riverboat at 12:00 and decided to try our luck at getting in early. The hostess said she would check for us but when she returned we were told they were very busy and it was a no go. She then proceeded to say "You should always only come to your ADRs at your reserved time." We were then extremely confused as to why she even checked for us to be seated early then, but no bother. We looked for some presents for some of our family members at the Emporium on Main Street for a little while and came back promptly at 12:30.

We asked to be seated in the Thomas Jefferson room, and although they said we might have to wait past our ADR time as a result, we were seated within minutes of getting our buzzer. We sat about four tables back from the kitchen at a table hugging the right wall. Mr. Roma ordered a Coke, while I stuck with water. We skipped appetizers this time and went straight for the entrees.

First some menu pics:

Since we suddenly had a surprise ADR at Be Our Guest that night on our hands, I decided to take it easy and order the

Colony Salad - Washington apples, sweet pecans and applewood smoked cheddar, dried cranberry Craisins, and grilled chicken tossed with field greens in honey shallot vinaigrette

I asked for the craisins and dressing on the side since I'm not the biggest fan of raisin type extras in salads and I like to control how much dressing I have. Mr. Roma ordered the burger, and you can find that photo and his review below .

This salad really was a pleasant surprise. I normally shy away from fruit in salads because I don't care for sweet flavors paired with greens, but everything worked wonderfully here. The apples were cut small enough so where they could be skewered easily with the rest of the bowl's contents, and the honey vinaigrette dressing had just the right amount of kick to balance out the sweetness of the apples and craisins. The chicken was moist and flavorful, although a wee bit cold for my tastes (I know some people prefer it this way). It pained me not to finish the whole thing - that is how much I loved it! I should also note that there was another slice of chicken on the salad, but I started cutting it up before I remembered to take a picture so it is hidden beneath the rest for aesthetic purposes .

Shortly after our entrees arrived I remembered about the LTT rolls with honey butter, and asked our server if she could bring us some. She was happy to oblige our request and they were brought out fresh after a small wait.

Rolls with honey butter

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but these rolls did not really impress me. They seemed like the standard rolls you get at all non-signature TS restaurants at Disney, and the butter was stone cold and very heavy on the honey flavor. I liked them well enough, but not enough to eat more than one or ask for them outside of dinner again.

We stopped ourselves from completely clearing our plates because we could not dream of leaving LTT without dessert. As I'm sure you could have guessed by now I was dying to order the

Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake - vanilla cake with a gooey toffee filling, vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce

Somehow it managed to be even better than I thought it would be. It certainly lived up to part of its name, being both ooey, gooey, and toffee rich. However, like other reviewers have commented the "cake" part more closely resembles a chocolate chip cookie, which makes all the difference. It was rich and luscious and the perfect size to share. Mr. Roma even passed over his general disregard for ice cream and chocolate and ate a sizeable portion.

At the end of our meal we were surprised by a very sweet gesture by our server, who had gone over to the Christmas store and purchased us an ornament in honor of our anniversary. It was so incredibly sweet and thoughtful of her and completely unexpected. Our final cost was $52.00 with tip.

We very much enjoyed our lunch at LTT and will definitely return again... most likely to order the exact same things we ordered this time!

Mr. Roma says:

Whats more American than eating a cheeseburger and drinking a Coke while old, dead white guys stare down at you from the walls? Probably nothing, and thats what you get at the Liberty Tree Tavern.

Liberty Tree Tavern takes you back to a Revolutionary-era tavern serving good, old-fashioned American meals. The rooms are decorated with pictures of Presidents and the staff wears the entire get up. It makes for a great experience overall, but everyone really just cares about the food.

We started with some rolls and honey-butter spread
(ROMA: We actually had these at the middle of the meal... goes to show how much he remembered them ). I dont particularly recall these being anything spectacular. In fact, I couldnt really remember them until I saw the picture. Although I think that says more about my meal  which I do remember  than it does about the bread.

I had the

Angus Chuck Cheeseburger - topped with bacon and cheddar or mushrooms and provolone served with fresh fruit or tavern fries

Im a burger guy. I eat burgers all the time. At fast food, chain restaurants, local restaurants, home  everywhere I go to eat, Ive probably had a burger at some point. Theres nothing better than a full, juicy beef patty layered between two pieces of warm bread with any variation of condiments. Its really a full on experience.

The Liberty Tree Tavern burger didnt disappoint. The burger was very flavorful and moist. The cheddar cheese was melted and the bacon was somewhere between chewy and crunchy. My one criticism is that the patty was a little small. While it was probably less than 1/3 lbs. after cooking, I cant really say I was still hungry after eating  but I will. Next time Ill have to ask for a double.

Ill pause here to say I didnt really eat French fries while we were in Disney world. I had them a few different times. I just couldnt bring myself to eat plain old potatoes when I had so much other food in front of me. This upset my wife, I think.

The Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake was a great way to finish this meal. Im not a huge ice cream guy (as I mentioned last time), so this was just the right combination. I really enjoyed the warm cake and all the toppings. The ice cream was fine.

Overall, I really enjoyed this meal. The restaurant is well decorated (as you would expect) and the food was very good.

--
Up Next: A surprise dinner at Be Our Guest!

Last edited by Roma; 01-28-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Roma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Love it! Subscribed to the thread!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Roma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd View Post
Love it! Subscribed to the thread!
Thank you, Herfnerd! I'll be back with our BOG review soon... having two people tandem writing tends to slow things down sometimes .
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
Roma
Mouseketeer

Be Our Guest

** The holidays are (mostly) over and it is high time that I get back to reviewing! Thanks for reading .

Be Our Guest

Be Our Guest had started previews a few days before Mr. Roma and I were set to leave for our trip, but I had no expectations as to whether or not we would be allowed into New Fantasyland - let alone whether or not we'd get to eat out BOG. I read on easyWDW that people were getting reservations by walking up to the NFL CMs around mid-morning and inquiring about possible openings for that night. I decided it was worth a shot since we didn't have an ADR for that night, so we started circling the NFL around 9:30 that morning. I asked the friendliest looking CM what the lowdown was, and he said to return at 10:30. We did, and I was immediately allowed to go into NFL and up to the reservation booth. I selected a time (my mind fails me now but I think it was for 5:45?) and received a wristband with my time that I was supposed to wear for the remainder of the day.

We returned to NFL later in the afternoon and looked around a little bit before our ADR. We decided to wait until after dinner to ride the Little Mermaid ride and do ETWB because the lines were too long for us to make our ADR in time.

We checked in at the reservation booth and then made our way up the bridge to the castle. We were both very impressed by the theming outside, and even more wowed by the interior. BOG is without question the best themed restaurant in WDW. I would say the "experience" of eating in the castle alone is worth the reservation. I especially loved the stained glass rendering of Belle and the human Beast from the movie that is situated in the front lobby.

We were seated in the main dining room in the row of tables farthest away from the window to the far left, which afforded us a nice view of the whole room and nice respite from the nosy middle. I did notice, however, that the room was incredibly dark - so dim that you could barely read the menu unless you held it up to your face.

Our server came up and thanked us for coming to dine in the Beast's castle. Because we were still pretty full from lunch, we opted to skip appetizers and share the strip steak. We both opted for waters to start.

Menu pics (my apologies for the glare... there was no way to get discernible pics on the iPhone without it):

While waiting for our entree our server brought the bread basket out. It appears I failed to take a picture of it, but the rolls were almost identical in appearance and taste to the ones at Liberty Tree Tavern (aka slightly hard and mostly boring). The butter was also very hard.

After a short while we were presented with our steak:

Grilled Strip Steak - with garlic-herb butter and pommes frites $29.99

We were both pleasantly surprised by this. The portion was more than enough for both of us, and we were happy to see the steak was cooked a nice medium. The greens were well seasoned and slightly crunchy, despite their somewhat soggy looking appearance in the picture. I tried to limit myself on the fries, but they were hot, crispy, and cut in a very thick shape - above and beyond your typical steak fry.

After our meal I decided it would be wrong of me to leave one of the first sittings at BOG without sampling the desserts, which were lined up in carts around the room (I'm assuming to give you the feeling that you are like Belle being served a la "Be Our Guest" in the movie). Unfortunately it seems our server got distracted at this point and took forever to return to our table with a cart. When she did it was so huge she could barely fit it between two tables, and I have no clue how they manage to push the things through the entire maze of chairs. While the carts are a cute idea for theming purposes, they are appear way too cumbersome to maneuver and take up too much space so I wonder if they will last very long.

I chose the chocolate cupcake

Triple Chocolate Cupcake - chocolate sponge cake, chocolate mousse filling, and choclate ganache $3.99

Unfortunately this was the biggest disappointment of the meal. Like others have said, the wrapper is nigh impossible to remove. I ended up massacring the bottom of the cupcake attempting to get it off. I was hoping the taste would make up for the difficulty, but unfortunately it did not. In fact, it was one of the worst cupcakes I have ever had. The cake was completely tasteless and dry while the frosting was thick and pasty. Needless to say I did not finish it and can only hope that either A) the other options taste better or B) that Disney seriously rethinks this dessert choice, which is already out of place considering the other food offerings. I honestly cannot believe they are charging $4.00 for a cupcake that pales in every way to the other cupcakes offered throughout Disney.

Mr. Roma opted out of dessert, and decided to get a beer. He had yet to order a drink on the trip, and I told him that it was fairly ironic that he decided to do so for the first time at the only restaurant to serve alcohol in the MK. He opted for the Belgian Hooegarden. I had a small sip, but not enough to justify giving a review. You can find his below.

At the end of our meal our server surprised us with a serving of...

"The Grey Stuff"

- in honor of our anniversary. The presentation was very cute, and the cocoa powder (?) print on the plate was well done. I was underwhelmed, however, by the taste and Mr. Roma ate perhaps two small bites before calling it quits. Our server described it as something along the lines of "oreo mousse" but I could not detect any Oreo flavor, and neither could Mr. Roma who is an Oreo fanatic. I'm hoping we just got a bad batch or something because it seems as if others have enjoyed it.

We had a great time at BOG despite the failed desserts, and especially enjoyed the magnificent theming. I'm sure as time goes by some of these little kinks will get worked out and BOG will offer more consistent service and quality. Our total bill ended up being $55.00

Mr. Roma says:

I wasn’t sure what to expect from the Be Our Guest Restaurant. When we arrived, there was almost no wait and we were seated right away. We were seated in the first row of tables, the farthest from the big, majestic “window” that overlooks the ballroom. The setting was beautiful – truly the kind of place you want to go for a romantic dinner and dancing. Too bad this wasn’t a romantic dinner and there wasn’t any room for dancing. Who am I kidding – I don’t dance.

We ordered the Strip Steak to share. It came with green beans and French fries. I’m sure there was bread before, but I don’t remember that. The steak was incredible. It was very tender and flavorful. There was plenty enough for two.

For dessert we had the grey stuff. It was fine, but not spectacularly memorable.

I tried a Belgian Beer – Hoegaarden.

I’m told Be Our Guest is the only place in the Magic Kingdom to get a beer, so I figured I had to. I’m no beer expert, but I thought this was a good way to finish off an all-around solid meal.

--
Up Next: Some half-eaten Christmas party treats and a day at Islands of Adventure!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Keep going this review is good
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Loving your review...great pics!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #25
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your reviews! For some reason I can't see your pictures (probably because I'm at work and I'm not supposed to!!) so I have to pull them up on my DIS app and look at both at the same time! I'm really getting a lot done at work as you can tell. I've been seeing quite a few not so good reviews of BOG lately so it was nice to see that you enjoyed it. Your steak looks delicious! Sorry to hear that your cupcake was meh.

I've never been to LTT...but I think the OOTC is calling my name! Not to mention I love a good cheeseburger too! Looking forward to more reviews!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #27
DnA2010
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying your review so far!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I'm enjoying your reviews so far, looking forward to more.
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
Roma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern View Post
Keep going this review is good
Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I have plenty more coming .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Loving your review...great pics!
Looking back I kinda wish I had tried to take more pics with my regular camera... but I'm glad you like them anyway! Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
I'm really enjoying your reviews! For some reason I can't see your pictures (probably because I'm at work and I'm not supposed to!!) so I have to pull them up on my DIS app and look at both at the same time! I'm really getting a lot done at work as you can tell. I've been seeing quite a few not so good reviews of BOG lately so it was nice to see that you enjoyed it. Your steak looks delicious! Sorry to hear that your cupcake was meh.

I've never been to LTT...but I think the OOTC is calling my name! Not to mention I love a good cheeseburger too! Looking forward to more reviews!
Oh no I'm sorry you can't see the pics! Can you see them at home? At least you can see them on the trusty app . I really don't think BOG was as bad as everyone is making it out to be - but maybe my expectations just weren't as high?

You need to go to LTT and get that OOTC stat! It is to die for! And Mr. Roma still talks about that burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Joining in !! Loving your reviews so far and especially from each point of view. Very enjoyable to read. Looking forward to more !!
Mr. Roma will be glad to hear you like his point of view! He asks me sometimes what people are "saying" about his comments . I have really loved your reviews so I'm tickled to see you pop up in my thread .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA2010 View Post
Really enjoying your review so far!
Thank you! I'll have more reviews coming up soon .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476 View Post
Joining in! I'm enjoying your reviews so far, looking forward to more.
I hope you'll keep reading!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
partyof2
Colette

How exciting that you managed to snag an ADR for Be Our Guest. It must have been fate with you not having any dinner plans for that evening!

The steak looks great. There's quite a few items on the menu that are tempting but steak with garlic butter is my No.1 food!

I agree that they need to revamp the dessert menu. The entrees are admirably bold for a MK restaurant but the desserts are disappointing. The cupcakes and cream puffs are fine bot lunch but they certainly need something more for dinner.
Visit #2 >> Nov 2013 - POR
Visit #3 >> Nov 2014 - Pop
Visit #4 >> Oct 2015 - We're getting married!

partyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: