Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
CruizinTigers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Unless you have access to some sort of special policy, the Travel Guard Gold Plan's Cancel for Any Reason rider only pays back 50% of the trip value.

This is from Travel Guard's website for the Gold Plan:

www.***************** and www.tripinsurancestore.com both say the same thing as Travel Guard's website for the Gold Plan.

Sayhello[/LEFT]
[/COLOR]
I see the same to be true. Travel Guard Gold policy is appealing to me because it appears to have better than adequate coverage at a very reasonable price. And I've read positive things about this insurer, both here and elsewhere. But everywhere I look in terms of their Gold policy and the Cancel For Any Reason add on shows that this only covers 50% of the trip value, not 100% as you mentioned, HandyMom. I'm not seeing 100% anywhere with regard to and Travel Guard policy.

Since writing this, my mother-in-law found a friend recently had to cancel their European river cruise due to Sandy and got a 100% refund. They were insured by US Fire, administered by TripMate. They paid 10% of their trip cost for this coverage. I called TripMate and they referred me to this website: http://www.tripinsurance.com where they say they administer all the plans available from this site (as they do for some of the insurers on *****************). I looked up a policy for my family on this site and chose the same US Fire policy. This one offers, or claims to offer 100% Cancel For Any Reason, and the cost was not too bad, $366 for my family of four. By comparison, the Travel Guard Gold policy without Cancel for Any Reason was $207, and with CAR $340 - but it only claims to cover 50%, unless someone can show me otherwise.

Has anyone heard of TripMate and or US Fire as an insurer? Has anyone used and have any experiences with either, good or bad? I think if we don't include Cancel for Any Reason, we'd probably choose Travel Guard, otherwise the US Fire policy appears more desirable.
CruizinTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
HANDYMOM
DIS Veteran

I may just be looking at a special policy because the trip cancellation is 100% and the list of valid reasons for cancellation is huge. I see where the rider is at 50% for cancel for any reason but I can't imagine any reason someone would need to cancel that isn't in the 100% covered trip cancellation list.

Buy the insurance you want. My clients are very satisfied and so are the clients of most of my colleagues. We discussed all kind of insurance at our recent training conference and the most experienced agents all agreed that Travel Guard is the company that provides the best cost, coverage and customer satisfaction. All it takes is one catastrophic medical evac to see what policies hold up. I hope neither I, my clients, or you guys ever have to worry about it!!
Sept 2012 - 2 families at CSR January 2010 - Polynesian January 2008 - Grand Gathering at Pop! January 2006 - 2 families at All Star Sports May 2004 POR - 1st trip with DS's 5&3 Sept 1998 - Belated Disneymoon at CBR April 1995 - CR

[/url
HANDYMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #18
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I've had to make 2 separate claims with Travelex, and both times they were fabulous to work with. The first claim, I had to cancel a hiking tour a week beforehand, because I tore my rotator cuff. They reimbursed me for the non-refundable tour, and also worked with me to reschedule the flights for the second half of my trip, which was a family visit. They paid for the price change of the airfare. They were very easy to work with.

The second time, I slipped & fell getting ready to go to the airport to fly home from Alaska, and gashed my head open. I ended up in the ER instead of on my flight home. They worked directly with the ER, and I never saw a bill. They got on the phone with me to call the airline, and got me booked on the same flight the next day, and paid the exorbitant price difference for the new flight. They also put me up in a hotel near the airport for the night, and paid for most of my meals for the extra day. Extremely easy to work with, and tremendously helpful in getting things settled and taken care of.

I highly recommend Travelex, and find that their Travel Select is a moderately priced policy with good coverage.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
momto2redheadgirls
Earning My Ears

if i booked a future cruise onboard and then had to reschedule it for another sailing, and now want to get insurance...does today count as the date the initial deposit was made or when I booked the original one in August (for the pre-existing waiver)??
momto2redheadgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
mareed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2redheadgirls View Post
if i booked a future cruise onboard and then had to reschedule it for another sailing, and now want to get insurance...does today count as the date the initial deposit was made or when I booked the original one in August (for the pre-existing waiver)??
I'm almost positive that it's the date the initial deposit was made back in August. So anyone wanting to purchase TravelGuard Gold with the pre-existing waiver who is booking a dummy cruise would need to purchase the insurance within 15 days of making the deposit, which would mean shortly after they return. When you later move the cruise date, you'd call TravelGuard and have them modify the policy to reflect the new date, but you'd keep your pre-existing waiver.

You can move the date of the policy to a later date as long as you do it before the original start date - I specifically asked them this when I was planning to take a Spring cruise in either March or April, but wasn't sure of which date and actually booked both cruises with the intent to cancel one. I purchased the TravelGuard policy for the earlier date only and would have moved it to the later date if needed, but ended up cancelling the later cruise. Another wrinkle to this is that I ended up re-shopping the March cruise while on board, and rebooked it at a lower price. I checked with TravelGuard to be sure that my original policy still applied since my confirmation number ended up changing because I had to cancel the original March cruise and keep the one booked on-board, and they said that it did. Basically, it's still the same trip even though the confirmation number changed. Think of it as purchasing Trip Insurance for some future trip, and when you change the paramaters (date, location, price) of that trip, you just let TravelGuard know and they'll modify the policy.

TravelGuard has been great about making changes to my policies as needed, and I've needed several! Their customer service has been great, so hopefully they'd be just as good if I actually had to make a claim, but I actually hope to never find out.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
CruizinTigers
Earning My Ears

Has anyone used http://www.squaremouth.com/? They appear to be another aggregator like *****************, but they seem to have more policy options from many of the same providers such as Travelex and Travel Guard.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinTigers
Has anyone used http://www.squaremouth.com/? They appear to be another aggregator like *****************, but they seem to have more policy options from many of the same providers such as Travelex and Travel Guard.
I used them for my Thanksgiving 2012 cruise. They were slightly cheaper than insuremytrip. I had no issues. Even when I moved cruises. I did not have to make any claims, though. My plan was actually through TravelGuard. I plan to use them again after I book tomorrow for 2014.
Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareed View Post
I'm almost positive that it's the date the initial deposit was made back in August. So anyone wanting to purchase TravelGuard Gold with the pre-existing waiver who is booking a dummy cruise would need to purchase the insurance within 15 days of making the deposit, which would mean shortly after they return. When you later move the cruise date, you'd call TravelGuard and have them modify the policy to reflect the new date, but you'd keep your pre-existing waiver.
That's my understanding, also. It's the date of *first* deposit.

Quote:
You can move the date of the policy to a later date as long as you do it before the original start date - I specifically asked them this when I was planning to take a Spring cruise in either March or April, but wasn't sure of which date and actually booked both cruises with the intent to cancel one. I purchased the TravelGuard policy for the earlier date only and would have moved it to the later date if needed, but ended up cancelling the later cruise. Another wrinkle to this is that I ended up re-shopping the March cruise while on board, and rebooked it at a lower price. I checked with TravelGuard to be sure that my original policy still applied since my confirmation number ended up changing because I had to cancel the original March cruise and keep the one booked on-board, and they said that it did. Basically, it's still the same trip even though the confirmation number changed. Think of it as purchasing Trip Insurance for some future trip, and when you change the paramaters (date, location, price) of that trip, you just let TravelGuard know and they'll modify the policy.

TravelGuard has been great about making changes to my policies as needed, and I've needed several! Their customer service has been great, so hopefully they'd be just as good if I actually had to make a claim, but I actually hope to never find out.
Just noting for others that not all insurance companies work this way. Some will only allow you to make one or two changes to a policy. Folks need to make sure they know how the specific policy they buy works. But that's great to know about Travel Guard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee Chick View Post
I used them for my Thanksgiving 2012 cruise. They were slightly cheaper than insuremytrip. I had no issues. Even when I moved cruises. I did not have to make any claims, though. My plan was actually through TravelGuard. I plan to use them again after I book tomorrow for 2014.
Although you buy the insurance through the websites like www.squaremouth.com and www.*****************, you do not make the claims through them. They're a broker only. You need to make any claims directly through the insurance company.

Sayhello
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

I prefer squaremouth, I think their explanations of policy terms are more "plain English."

My understanding, in re: pre-existing conditions, is that you must book within a certain number of days (varies by the policy) after a NON-REFUNDABLE payment is made on your vacation. You also need the dates of travel, so don't see how you could insure a dummy booking (for unspecified future sail date). My situation was that I booked with a TA that had a no-deposit deal going, so I wasn't actually out of pocket anything except the TA's processing fee (which was less than $25). I asked CS at squaremouth if this counted, and they said yes and no. Basically, I could buy insurance at that time, since the fee was non-refundable, but there was definitely an argument that I hadn't made a payment for the cruise specifically until I paid the deferred deposit amount, so I should still be covered by pre-existing conditions waiver if I waited to buy insurance until I'd made a payment specifically toward the cruise. When in doubt, you should ask - I think both squaremouth and insuremytrip have live chat options.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #25
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
I prefer squaremouth, I think their explanations of policy terms are more "plain English."

My understanding, in re: pre-existing conditions, is that you must book within a certain number of days (varies by the policy) after a NON-REFUNDABLE payment is made on your vacation. You also need the dates of travel, so don't see how you could insure a dummy booking (for unspecified future sail date). My situation was that I booked with a TA that had a no-deposit deal going, so I wasn't actually out of pocket anything except the TA's processing fee (which was less than $25). I asked CS at squaremouth if this counted, and they said yes and no. Basically, I could buy insurance at that time, since the fee was non-refundable, but there was definitely an argument that I hadn't made a payment for the cruise specifically until I paid the deferred deposit amount, so I should still be covered by pre-existing conditions waiver if I waited to buy insurance until I'd made a payment specifically toward the cruise. When in doubt, you should ask - I think both squaremouth and insuremytrip have live chat options.
The payment does not have to be non-refundable. You need to purchase the insurance within 14 - 21 days (in most cases) of the *first* deposit. So if you book a dummy cruise (I believe you have to give DCL a date to book a dummy cruise, even if you know that's not the cruise you're going to actually take) you have to pay the deposit at that point. And that is when you start the counting to buy for the pre-existing condition waiver. If you wait until your deposit is non-refundable (generally, the Paid in Full date) you will be too late to get a PEC waiver for most insurance. Perhaps your situation was different because it was a TA fee, and not a deposit.

But I totally agree with you -- when in doubt, ASK!

Sayhello
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #26
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

If you use Costco travel, their policy includes a pre existing condition waiver up when purchased as late as within 24 hours of final payment. So if you transfer the reservation not only will you save a good deal of money on the cruise, you can get travel insurance at the 11th hour and still have a PEC Waiver
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #27
momto2redheadgirls
Earning My Ears

thanks guys!
momto2redheadgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #28
CruizinTigers
Earning My Ears

Ditto!!

Thank you for all the great feedback and advice.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
stacecakes
loves acquiring info as much as fastpasses!

how important IS trip insurance?

this is our first cruise as a family and way more expensive an investment than the cheapie carnival ones we'd taken back in our college days. Is getting trip insurance the usual practice? Do most people do it? What kinds of things doesit take care of?
stacecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #30
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacecakes View Post
this is our first cruise as a family and way more expensive an investment than the cheapie carnival ones we'd taken back in our college days. Is getting trip insurance the usual practice? Do most people do it? What kinds of things doesit take care of?
I didn't buy the travel insurance on my cruises to Alaska. I prefer to self insure. However if I was taking a cruise in the carribean I would probably buy the medical evacuation insurance. I wouldn't want to spend a night in the hospital in a 3rd world country.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: