Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #31
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I wonder, how many of the people who are upset that children are made to take a whole meal are the same ones saying "I'm not a short order cook, my kids eat what I serve".

When my child was younger, and to some degree now, I decided what was for dinner, I put it on a plate in front of him, and he chose how much of it to eat. He didn't get to choose to have something else though, or to have me leave the fruit or veggies off the plate. He didn't get to have a fit and demand refined grains or just milk for dinner.

It doesn't bother me that the schools are doing the same thing now.
That's not at all the same thing, though. They need to let the free lunch kids choose "milk only" if they brought lunch from home. It makes no sense to force a kid to throw away food just for some milk.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #32
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wonder, how many of the people who are upset that children are made to take a whole meal are the same ones saying "I'm not a short order cook, my kids eat what I serve".

When my child was younger, and to some degree now, I decided what was for dinner, I put it on a plate in front of him, and he chose how much of it to eat. He didn't get to choose to have something else though, or to have me leave the fruit or veggies off the plate. He didn't get to have a fit and demand refined grains or just milk for dinner.

So you are ok with the tax payers money being literally thrown away. If you put food on your child's plate and he doesn't eat it , you can then put it in the fridge for later, the schools have to throw it away, if you are ok with your money being literally thrown in the trash, that is your problem. I don't want my tax money wasted. I am all for giving kids food that can't afford it, but this is crazy and an incredible waste of money.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #33
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Because it is easy to waste tax payer money and then claim that there isn't enough to pay for what is needed.
This.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #34
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Middle school lunchlady here. I have not had a free or reduced kid ask me for just milk...but thinking about it....I could not give them just the milk...it would have to be the whole lunch. I have no way on my computer to show they just got free milk.
Truthfully it come down to numbers and I could not show just a milk..it HAS to be a full lunch.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #35
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
I don't know if this is everywhere or just in our school district but children that qualify for free or reduced lunch program must get the entire lunch if they want a free milk. Because of this, the kids that bring their lunch but want milk either have to pay for the milk or take the entire lunch. Most of the kids end up throwing the food right in the trash and just keeping the milk.

It just seems so wrong. Why not just give them the milk for free and stop wasting so much food?
How about the children just buy a milk?

Put the blame where it belongs.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #36
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
Something is wrong with the system. If the kids are bringing their own lunch from home, they should not be eligible for the free lunch program. It should be for kids who truly do not have anything to eat if they don't get the school lunches.
Its an assistance program, not a feed the hungry program.

Quote:

This is not the issue the OP is talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
This is exactly the problem. Students used to be able to take just the part of the meal that they wanted, regardless of whether they were on the free/reduced lunch program or not. At our school, they would even let these students have double helpings if they wanted it. Not any more. They can only take the meal as offered...no changes at all. It's unbelievable how much food is now being thrown away as a result of the federal government trying to dictate what children eat (whether paid or not).

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd be thinking that this was the first step in the federal government trying to abolish the free lunch program.
My kids are still allowed to choose what they want. I wasn't sure but December's menu came home with it all outlined. Just like before the new regulations a lunch consisted of X amount of components and a child had to take them for it to be considered a lunch. They could just take a few, but would be charged al a carte for those items. Now they have to take 3 out of the 5, and one must be a fruit or veggie, however if they don't want a fruit or veggie they can take whatever they want and be charged al a carte for those items.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #37
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post

I definitely agree with this, but that doesn't mean the program isn't a failure (when it comes to food waste).
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #38
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I definitely agree with this, but that doesn't mean the program isn't a failure (when it comes to food waste).
As a former lunch lady, food waste is everyday whether it is eaten or not. You cannot avoid it.

The food would have been thrown away anyway.

Forcing the full meal is important even though it does not seem that way.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #39
tajz90
Mama D

I live in TX and our school system requires the same, but it also requires a child to take a milk even if the student doesn't want it. It appealed me to see the kids throw the unopened milk in the garbage can. I spoke with the principal and he doesn't like the practice, but has no choice. Rules are rules.

One of the students have suggested a table be set up in cafeteria for milk that no one wants allowing a child that wants milk to go and get it off the table. The Cafeteria Ladies could throw them away at end of lunch since they aren't allowed to take the, back.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #40
luvmy3

Quote:
As a former lunch lady, food waste is everyday whether it is eaten or not. You cannot avoid it.

As a parent I know all about food waste too

How is forcing the full meal important when the child is bringing their own from home?
Now, I understand that in that bag there may just be candy and doritos, but that is a parent's choice, so if that kid wants a "free" milk to go with the lunch the program should be designed so that he can get his milk for free without having to take everything else and throw it out.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #41
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Who are you saying is to blame? The child? The parent(s)?

Quote:

Why would it be thrown away anyway? In elementary school, teachers take a count each morning and give the number of children buying lunch and which choice (there are 2 to choose from) and if any of the children are getting "doubles". That is given to the kitchen staff so they can prepare accordingly.

Explain why forcing a full meal is so important if the child already has a lunch and just want milk.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #42
Tinkh
DIS Veteran

I worked as a volunteer for 2-3 days a week at my son's and niece's school for five years. Some days I was in the office or resource room, but most days I was in the lunchroom and recess. I want to defend a few of these meals. Sorry, but not all of them are gross. Our kids always had two choices at least of a main course: chicken patty sandwich, turkey sandwich, hamburger, nice chef salad, grilled chicken, baked potato with choice of toppings, chicken tacos, etc. I think the kids favorite day was probably walking taco day. Most kids cleared their entire entree on those days.

The least popular that was ever made was some horrible looking Chinese suey. I doubt more than 10 kids ate it, but they had a choice of another option. The kids always had a good choice of fruit and vegetables. Carrots and celery, applesauce, green beans, fruit cups, orange slices etc.

If your school district is not providing choices that are appetizing, then you need to work with your school board and find out why. Just because they are following guidelines that does not mean the food has to be nasty.

Some of the packed lunches that parents did were incredible. Balanced and delicious looking. However, some parents deserve a lesson in what not to pack their kids in my opinion. At least once a day, a kid would crack open a Mountain Dew or a Coke and start chugging it. We would have to have the secretary send a note asking super parent not to send pop anymore which was never listened to. The amount of food that some kids had was almost revolting. Some kids would not have a sandwich or protein of any kind, but would be chomping away at a couple bags of chips, mini-candy bars and washed down with a couple of juices. Sorry, that child would have greatly benefited from our school lunches.

I had one kid that would only eat bacon all crumbled up in a giant pile in his baggy followed with chips and candy. I can't imagine how much sodium that kid had in his diet every day and he was always sick.

I do recognize that some of the kids would want more food on some days and I did feel sad for the kids that were active and nutritionally eating what they should. But, there were sometimes that I was so grateful that the foods were portioned out because those kids did not need additional calories.

None of the children were starving that is for sure. As last resort there was always the option of peanut butter or cheese sandwich. Not the best choices, but the kids were not leaving and starving.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #43
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
Who are you saying is to blame? The child? The parent(s)?

Why would it be thrown away anyway? In elementary school, teachers take a count each morning and give the number of children buying lunch and which choice (there are 2 to choose from) and if any of the children are getting "doubles". That is given to the kitchen staff so they can prepare accordingly.

Explain why forcing a full meal is so important if the child already has a lunch and just want milk.
1) School is not to blame because child throws meal away. Not every kid throws the meal away. Some of the kids actually eat the meal and it is their FULL meal for the day. ETA....(Apologies to those with horrible cooks in your school or less than stellar vendors for your school supplier.)

It is a rule for the school lunch program across the board. You cannot "win" with this issue. I guess you can call it "equilibrium" or "necesary evil" or "casualities of war in the school lunch program" as far as the law goes. It does stink but there is no "winning" here.

ETA...Unless you recall the school in the news a couple of yrs ago that did not allow bagged lunch from home. Do you want to adopt that as a "way to win"? I would not.

When you are a kitchen manager you have to plan for how much is going to get eaten that day basically.

Yes in elementary there is a "count" taken and there is less food thrown out by the kitchen staff at the end of the day. Does make prep much easier.

In middle and HS no "counts" are taken so it is a hit and miss effort.

2) If child wants a JUST A MILK then they NEED TO BUY A MILK. Do not blame the lunch program for that.

If the kids and parents "use" the "lunch program" just to get a milk then that is on them and not the school lunch program.

Last edited by The Mystery Machine; 12-06-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #44
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1) School is not to blame because child throws meal away. Not every kid throws the meal away. Some of the kids actually eat the meal and it is their FULL meal for the day.

It is a rule for the school lunch program across the board. You cannot "win" with this issue. I guess you can call it "equilibrium" as far as the law goes.

When you are a kitchen manager you have to plan for how much is going to get eaten that day basically.

Yes in elementary there is a "count" taken and there is less food thrown out by the kitchen staff at the end of the day. Does make prep much easier.

2) If child wants a JUST A MILK then they NEED TO BUY A MILK. Do not blame the lunch program for that.

If the kids and parents "use" the "lunch program" just to get a milk then that is on them and not the school lunch program.
agree
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #45
luvmy3

Quote:
1) School is not to blame because child throws meal away. Not every kid throws the meal away. Some of the kids actually eat the meal and it is their FULL meal for the day. ETA....(Apologies to those with horrible cooks in your school or less than stellar vendors for your school supplier.)

It is a rule for the school lunch program across the board. You cannot "win" with this issue. I guess you can call it "equilibrium" or "necesary evil" or "casualities of war in the school lunch program" as far as the law goes. It does stink but there is no "winning" here.

ETA...Unless you recall the school in the news a couple of yrs ago that did not allow bagged lunch from home. Do you want to adopt that as a "way to win"? I would not.

While I agree those parents should just buy the milk, the program is designed so that they don't have to. It is also designed so that food and money are being wasted for no reason. There is always room for reform

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: