Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #151
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Spencer was Diana's maiden name.
I am very aware of this. That was my point. Occasionally, Diana was called Diana Spencer. Someone mentioned earlier that Sarah, Duchess of York, was called Sarah Ferguson. Occasionally, Kate is called Kate Middleton. What's the diff?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #152
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
Apparently, the formal approvals from the Commonwealth countries has now been received. However, this does not mean that it was (or is) "done except for paperwork". It means that the bill "The Succession to the Crown Bill" can now be brought forward.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...h-nations.html

Admittedly, I find this bit (from Clegg) somewhat suspicious:
Yes I know.

Under section 41 of the Canadian constitution, changes to the office of the monarch require unanimous consent of all the provinces and the federal parliament. If changes to the line of succession to the Canadian throne are found to fall under this provision, it is possible that Quebec, the government of which is presently held by the sovereigntist Parti Québécois, would hinder any attempts at change.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper stated in October 2011 that, "at some point, we will table legislation in the House of Commons and it would be my hope that that would be approved quickly." In an email to Postmedia News in December 2012, a spokesperson for the Prime Minister stated that the Canadian government was waiting on the British government to reveal its proposed legislation before "enact[ing] these changes in coordination with our realm partners." At the same time, a spokesperson for the New Democratic Party, which currently stands as the official opposition in parliament, explained the party is in favour of the reforms.

I tried to see where it was in the House of Commons and can't seem to find it. Guess it's still not tabled.

Last edited by CdnCarrie; 12-05-2012 at 10:03 AM.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #153
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse View Post
I am very aware of this. That was my point. Occasionally, Diana was called Diana Spencer. Someone mentioned earlier that Sarah, Duchess of York, was called Sarah Ferguson. Occasionally, Kate is called Kate Middleton. What's the diff?
After their marriages, they did not use those names. They took the name of the royal family. I do not recall Diana ever being referred to as Diana Spencer after her marriage. The media referring to Fergie (during her marriage) or Kate Middleton with their last names does not mean those are their names as properly used.

That's what we're talking about. A certain poster is insisting Kate's name is still Middleton because she didn't get a personal announcement stating otherwise. Middleton is no longer the name she officially uses, just like any other woman who takes their husband's name.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #154
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

Ya'll do realize you are wasting your breath. She has it set in her mind that Kate Middleton retained her maiden name.

CF there is no harm in admitting you are wrong. To continue to belabor a point, even when you are proven wrong. Shows a lack of maturity.
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #155
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxdogy View Post
Ya'll do realize you are wasting your breath. She has it set in her mind that Kate Middleton retained her maiden name.

CF there is no harm in admitting you are wrong. To continue to belabor a point, even when you are proven wrong. Shows a lack of maturity.
Don't know how that could be "set in ... my?... mind," considering I neither stated that nor insisted it ... The number of times someone in this thread has claimed I said something I did not is kind of amazing.

Also, not for nothing, but unless I missed something - she got a basic degree, then occasionally worked for her parents home-based mail-order business. She's 30.

If I posted about my cousin, who went to school, met a rich guy, dated him, then hung around, never got a real job, bought clothes, went out, never did anything much, just waited for him to propose so she could live off him, til her late 20s, I think many people would say that person sounded completely pathetic.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #156
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Don't know how that could be "set in ... my?... mind," considering I neither stated that nor insisted it ... The number of times someone in this thread has claimed I said something I did not is kind of amazing.

Also, not for nothing, but unless I missed something - she got a basic degree, then occasionally worked for her parents home-based mail-order business. She's 30.

If I posted about my cousin, who went to school, met a rich guy, dated him, then hung around, never got a real job, bought clothes, went out, never did anything much, just waited for him to propose so she could live off him, til her late 20s, I think many people would say that person sounded completely pathetic.
Aren't you a college student working in a diner? Excuse me if I'm a bit underwhelmed.

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with a woman getting a college degree and working for her family business (worth millions of pounds and not home based). Please, enlighten us on what a proper job is.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #157
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Aren't you a college student working in a diner? Excuse me if I'm a bit underwhelmed.

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with a woman getting a college degree and working for her family business (worth millions of pounds and not home based). Please, enlighten us on what a proper job is.
Uhm, no.

One you get hired for, go work at, etc. Even Diana had a little job and she was aristocratic and like 19; this one didn't even really pretend to be doing anything with her life.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #158
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Uhm, no.

One you get hired for, go work at, etc. Even Diana had a little job and she was aristocratic and like 19; this one didn't even really pretend to be doing anything with her life.
She was an accessories buyer for Jigsaw before she went to work for Party Pieces. I don't see anything less worthy about working for a company owned by your parents - there are plenty companies where the running of them is handed down through the generations. It's not as though she's been an IT girl, she's lived as quiet a life as possible given the constant press interest over the years.

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #159
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Yayyy...she is out of the hospital!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #160
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Uhm, no.

I see, so all those people out there that work for their families, are doing nothing with their lives. It doesn't matter if they are doing web design and marketing, that those businesses existed their entire lives. Unless they send out resumes and go through a formal process, they are doing nothing. Got it.

Please, do tell us how you are setting the world on fire with your accomplishments.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #161
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Uhm, no.

What a horribly arrogant and condescending remark.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #162
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
Actually, I am guessing a kid in the middle of nowhere learning everything they know about "the City" from Google and Sex and the City reruns who just likes to get people worked up.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #163
Mazel
Proud Navy Mom

LONDON -- The Duchess of Cambridge has left a London hospital where she was being treated for acute morning sickness related to her pregnancy.

The former Kate Middleton smiled as she left the King Edward VII Hospital Thursday alongside her husband, Prince William.

This was this mornings top headline. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #164
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI View Post
Yayyy...she is out of the hospital!
That's great news. I hope she's feeling much better.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #165
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
That's great news. I hope she's feeling much better.
Me too. I was very fortunate with both of my pregnancies that I didn't have 1 day of morning sickness. My boss had the same thing that The Duchess has and was hospitalized for quite some time. I can't even imagine! Glad she's out and hopefully can start to enjoy her pregnancy a bit! They are a lovely couple!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: