Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #136
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Okay how about this one? In the state of Illinois to enroll in college you have to show proof of the MMR and a DTP shot I think unless you were born before ..... I think 1955 or so???

When I was pulling my son's immunization records together I told him that if I ever decided to go back for another degree in Illinois I'd totally be adopting a case of religion because I'm not sure God himself could track down my childhood shot records and I'm not going back and redoing them.

So yeah, I guess I do have a rather loose moral system when it comes to lying.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #137
gina2000
anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
Okay how about this one? In the state of Illinois to enroll in college you have to show proof of the MMR and a DTP shot I think unless you were born before ..... I think 1955 or so???

When I was pulling my son's immunization records together I told him that if I ever decided to go back for another degree in Illinois I'd totally be adopting a case of religion because I'm not sure God himself could track down my childhood shot records and I'm not going back and redoing them.

So yeah, I guess I do have a rather loose moral system when it comes to lying.
You have to show proof of immunity in NJ if you enter college in NJ. I did a titer when I went back for a class or two. I was born in the late 50s and I'm happy the titer came back showing immunity.

And to live on campus, many universities require menactra or the equivalent. As a matter of fact, in NJ all entering 6th graders now have to have the menactra shot. We sent home tons of kids this fall who were not immunized.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #138
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina2000 View Post
You have to show proof of immunity in NJ if you enter college in NJ. I did a titer when I went back for a class or two. You have to show proof of vaccine or immunity to enter a university also.

And to live on campus, many universities require menactra or the equivalent.
Menactra?

AR students have to have shot records also. I suspect all states do. Fortunately, they accept documentation from the public schools. Since admission requires ACT, grade point, and shot records, the schools provide the colleges and parents with all on one document. It's good they do that because when DD was little, pediatricians here requested shot only visits were done at DHS if a checkup wasn't needed. They didn't do vaccines for some reason until the Hep shots came around. We got those at the pediatrician's office because she didn't fall in the range of age that DHS provided shots to. Plus, we moved for a few months to a different county so her shots were at one county DHS, then another, dr for HEP rounds, and dr again for 13 yr booster.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #139
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I guess its wrong to lie to avoid your child being injected with chemicals, but its okay to lie to avoid them finding out Mickey isn't real. Only on the DIS
The point here is no one is going to forcibly vaccinate this child. There will be no consequences to the OP if she doesn't vaccinate the child. She will not be charged, fined, imprisoned, or punished in any way. It simply means that she must choose whether preschool or vaccine is more important. She just has to make a choice. A sibling having a mild reaction is notary valid medical excuse. The clvaccine isn't required, neither is preschool. No one can, or will, force the OP to go against her convictions. The OP has a choice. She can choose not to send the child to preschool this year, she can choose to send the child to preschool in another state.

To be honest, my moral compass isn't so strong on the lying thing. I see no harm intelling WDW your 3 year old is 2, or pool hopping, or poppinga few cookies from the buffet in my purse, my point here, on the Dis, that people flame others to death for minor lies but actually suggest to the OP to lie about a religious conviction she doesn't have. I actually, do find it bothersome because that makes light of someone's real religious beliefs.

OP, you have a choice, it's not one you want to make, because, essentially you want to have your cake and eat it, too. If you feel the vaccine isn't right for your child, and remember, that is only your feeling, it is not medically substantiated, takeherout ofschool.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #140
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3

I don't object to the vaccine, I object to NJ passing a law that requires it for pre-school (regardless if pre-school is not mandatory). If the school itself made that rule, fine.
I object to the fact that one can have religious exemptions, yet one isn't allowed to be exempt because of their personal beliefs. Now, if the goal is really to protect all the children then there would be no allowance for religious reasons, there would be no exemptions allowed for anyone, for the protection of all. If they can "afford" to not force some people to get it, then they can afford to not force all.
They have to allow for religious exemptions. Freedom of religion and all. But I do understand what you are saying.

If your child has ever been in preschool or child care then your child has come under some kind of regulations. I for one would rather they have regs that I don't always agree with then none at all.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #141
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife

Will those children never be exposed to children from or in another state or other children who cannot get a vaccine but get the flu? I hate they can't for whatever reason get vaccinated (assuming their parents even wanted it) but that is not someone else's responsibility. Hopefully, those kids get to go to WDW, but people from other countries may not vaccinate and many from the US don't. At what point, do we mandate everyone else's behavior? I have been vaccinated, but DD hasn't. My immune system stinks, hers doesn't. I don't make her just because my system stinks. DH has to because of his job. It is mandated for him to continue working.

We had an older teen with leukemia at our church. She had a weak immune system. When the doctor allowed it, she came to church with a surgical mask on. We take communion every week. She and her family didn't demand that
stop so she would be at higher risk. The church did provide separate wafers instead of a few large pieces of bread to break off. But, they provided BOTH. I'm sure there were germs even on the plates. Would you request that the rest of the members not have communion because she could get sick?

Should restaurants not have peanuts at all just in case someone with an allergy walks in? If an allergic reaction can be prevented, why not do it? I know it was said in reference to the flu vaccine, but isn't it the same idea?
The difference here is that parents are not demanding anything. And resteraunts are not in the business of taking care of/teaching children.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #142
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama

I can only speak for me. I do care what shots my kids get. My dh and I make the decisions based on what we know is best for them. Not some random stranger at school. Oh- and since you are asking- I am generally a rule follower but no, nobody will tell me what to put inside my child's body.

So it is disturbing to lie to protect the rights of my child but okay for the exceptions you have listed?
No one is telling you what to put inside your child's body. Only that you have to follow the regs set for preschool age children that are enrolled in preschool.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #143
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3 View Post
OP here....thanks so much for all the replies. My oldest just ended up with a fever from the shot, but I never even told the doctor. When I called the school I told them about my reason being because my oldest had a bad reaction and she said that was not a reason and I had to get it done or she couldn't come back to school. .
In my opinion, purely based on the few seconds I took to actually google "fever after a flu vaccine" is that your child did not have a "bad reaction". A fever after a flu shot is an entirely normal reaction for a child to have after a flu shot.

It that is your only objection to giving your daughter the vaccine, then I agree with the school that it is "not a reason".
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #144
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Fever is not a bad reaction. Hives marching down your Childs body is a bad reaction. (Egg allergy/She now gets the mist).
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #145
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post

I can only speak for me. I do care what shots my kids get. My dh and I make the decisions based on what we know is best for them. Not some random stranger at school. Oh- and since you are asking- I am generally a rule follower but no, nobody will tell me what to put inside my child's body.
They're not telling parents what to put in their children's bodies. They are telling them that if they want their children to attend pre-school, they are to be immunized unless the parent legitimately object on religious grounds or has an actual medical concern, neither of which does the OP have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
If I had to lie to protect my child, you better darn sure believe I would do it. And as far as I was concerned, I would lie to protect my kid from the flu shot, if I felt like the op did.
Or you could follow the law, not lie, and not enroll your child in pre-school. There is always that option, it's just less convenient for the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor Dashwood View Post
So would I, in a heartbeat. It's like the question of when people were hiding Jewish folks in their homes and if the Germans came knocking, would you lie to protect the people in danger? I would in that scenario, without a doubt.
Yes, OP's desire to lie in order to not be forced to get a flu shot for her daughter because her sibling may have had a mild reaction to an immunization at an earlier time but that did not even warrant a trip to the doctor at that time is very similar to the stand of those who risked their lives to shield Jews from the Nazis.

As I said in an earlier post, OP, you have a choice. Lie, don't lie, it's up to you. But don't try to create a mythology that makes it OK or somehow not a lie, because it is.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #146
gcarr1426
Earning My Ears

X
gcarr1426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #147
mickeyplanner08
DIS Veteran

Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantz View Post
Fever is not a bad reaction. Hives marching down your Childs body is a bad reaction. (Egg allergy/She now gets the mist).
Um, all flu vaccines currently on the market are manufactured using hens' eggs-including the flu mist.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #148
mjantz
DIS Veteran

I don't know what the difference is then because it was recommended to us as an alternative to the flu shot when she reacted to it. And, she's had an egg triggered reaction since stopping the shot & starting the mist so I know she still reacts.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #149
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantz View Post
FluMist contains eggs.

Quote:
Who should not get FluMist?

You should not get FluMist if you have a severe allergy to eggs, gentamicin, gelatin, or arginine; have ever had a life-threatening reaction to influenza vaccinations; or are 2 through 17 years old and take aspirin or medicines containing aspirin – children or adolescents should not be given aspirin for 4 weeks after getting FluMist unless your healthcare provider tells you otherwise.

Children under 2 years old have an increased risk of wheezing (difficulty with breathing) after getting FluMist.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #150
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I guess its wrong to lie to avoid your child being injected with chemicals, but its okay to lie to avoid them finding out Mickey isn't real. Only on the DIS
Lying about Santa and Mickey won't hurt anyone else, whereas lying about the vaccine could jeopardize someone with a weak immune system.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: