Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

This is because of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act that is federal law regarding the school lunch program. The kids MUST take the required elements of the meal. If they want milk they have to have the lunch. If they want lunch they have to take the milk. These are the same laws that have now made the food "healthy" so now the kids just throw most of it away and eat junk food. Also the same laws that are restricting calories which has caused many students-- especially in the upper grades-- to complain that they are hungry.

Local districts have no control over this. They are required to follow the law.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

I saw it as part of the same problem. Kids would want school lunches if they were still good. The poor kids in AR generally are not taking their lunch. Many couldn't afford to. If a family receives any government assistance in AR, I believe they qualify for reduced or free lunch. If they don't receive assistance, they send a copy of a check stub, I believe. We try to make sure the kids at least get two meals/day. I didn't think about other states being different and poor children not automatically getting free lunch. My apologies for assuming If they qualify for free or reduced lunch, they get free breakfast, also. The middle income to wealthy kids take theirs, but most also take their drinks.

DD's school wasn't too bad about rules on lunches from home but some were. A friend's kids when to a school that didn't like what she packed and the girls wouldn't eat school lunch. Her kids were picky so it was a fight for a long time.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
Poohbug
Sherlocked

I agree. In my school district you can qualify for reduced lunch fee or free lunch. Reduced lunch costs 40 cents. If you qualify for reduced or free you can get breakfast for no cost. However, a carton of milk for lunch will cost you 40 cents if you want to bring your own lunch.

I doesn't make sense but my school district is so messed up right now that nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Yup, it's a federal law.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Something is wrong with the system. If the kids are bringing their own lunch from home, they should not be eligible for the free lunch program. It should be for kids who truly do not have anything to eat if they don't get the school lunches.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I wonder, how many of the people who are upset that children are made to take a whole meal are the same ones saying "I'm not a short order cook, my kids eat what I serve".

When my child was younger, and to some degree now, I decided what was for dinner, I put it on a plate in front of him, and he chose how much of it to eat. He didn't get to choose to have something else though, or to have me leave the fruit or veggies off the plate. He didn't get to have a fit and demand refined grains or just milk for dinner.

It doesn't bother me that the schools are doing the same thing now.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #22
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post
This is because of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act that is federal law regarding the school lunch program. The kids MUST take the required elements of the meal. If they want milk they have to have the lunch. If they want lunch they have to take the milk. These are the same laws that have now made the food "healthy" so now the kids just throw most of it away and eat junk food. Also the same laws that are restricting calories which has caused many students-- especially in the upper grades-- to complain that they are hungry.

Local districts have no control over this. They are required to follow the law.
This is exactly the problem. Students used to be able to take just the part of the meal that they wanted, regardless of whether they were on the free/reduced lunch program or not. At our school, they would even let these students have double helpings if they wanted it. Not any more. They can only take the meal as offered...no changes at all. It's unbelievable how much food is now being thrown away as a result of the federal government trying to dictate what children eat (whether paid or not).

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd be thinking that this was the first step in the federal government trying to abolish the free lunch program.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #23
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I wonder, how many of the people who are upset that children are made to take a whole meal are the same ones saying "I'm not a short order cook, my kids eat what I serve".

When my child was younger, and to some degree now, I decided what was for dinner, I put it on a plate in front of him, and he chose how much of it to eat. He didn't get to choose to have something else though, or to have me leave the fruit or veggies off the plate. He didn't get to have a fit and demand refined grains or just milk for dinner.

But...say your child decided to have 2 servings of pasta and no meatballs? Would that be acceptable? In my house it would be. I'm not making an entirely different meal, my child is just choosing what part of the meal to eat, without taking the entire meal. That's no longer allowed with the new federal regulations.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
But...say your child decided to have 2 servings of pasta and no meatballs? Would that be acceptable? In my house it would be. I'm not making an entirely different meal, my child is just choosing what part of the meal to eat, without taking the entire meal. That's no longer allowed with the new federal regulations.
My child could choose what part to eat, but he couldn't choose not to have it on his plate, and he couldn't necessarily get extra of the parts he liked best if he chose not to eat some other part.

Honestly, there are foods that I put on my kids plate 20 times before they made it into his mouth. I don't consider those 20 times "wasted" I considered it "learning". Our school district has always done pre plated (well trayed, if that's a word) meals in elementary school, with no choices. They did it when I attended and they do it now. And the kids become familiar with the choices and they eat them, not in a week or weeks but over the course of months or years. This year, with fresh produce, is actually the first year our kids have had any choice, the entrees are plated, and then we tell them they can choose 1 piece of fruit (usually there are 2 or 3 types to choose from) and at least one serving of one vegetable.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:

Quote:
My child could choose what part to eat, but he couldn't choose not to have it on his plate, and he couldn't necessarily get extra of the parts he liked best if he chose not to eat some other part.

Honestly, there are foods that I put on my kids plate 20 times before they made it into his mouth. I don't consider those 20 times "wasted" I considered it "learning". Our school district has always done pre plated (well trayed, if that's a word) meals in elementary school, with no choices. They did it when I attended and they do it now. And the kids become familiar with the choices and they eat them, not in a week or weeks but over the course of months or years. This year, with fresh produce, is actually the first year our kids have had any choice, the entrees are plated, and then we tell them they can choose 1 piece of fruit (usually there are 2 or 3 types to choose from) and at least one serving of one vegetable.
I see two differences in your home situation and the school situation:

1) Some of the kids ARE given other stuff by their parents to eat, and in the situation where all the kid wants is the milk but has to take the whole plate of food anyway, the food goes to waste but the kid doesn't go hungry. The kid learns no lesson other than that it's okay to throw away food and to sort of cheat the system (which has been rigged to be cheated on). I'm not saying that most kids cheat, or choose to. But the system seems to have some flawed logic.

2) You pay for your own kids' food, whether it goes wasted or not. It's your family, your money, and your choice. The taxpayers are paying for all or part of this wasted food.

Obviously, I want poor hungry kids to be fed. But I hate to see the lack of common sense here when the government is scrounging around for money.

What I'm wondering is if they still take a "lunch count" in schools. If so, doesn't the cafeteria only make enough food for the kids who say they are going to eat a school lunch that day? If that's the case, then how is there extra food for the kids who brought their lunch and who said so in the lunch count? Or maybe they've just learned to work the system (through no fault of their own) and say they are eating the cafeteria lunch during the lunch count, but really they brought their lunch and already know they are just going to drink the milk and throw the rest away.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
ctinct
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Let the school (or the PTO) organize a "sharing" plan. "Free lunch" child gets his free lunch. "Regular lunch" child buys a milk (and only a milk). When they get to the table, "Free lunch" kid gives his food to "regular lunch" kid.

Yes, the "wrong" child is getting the free lunch. But isn't that better than throwing food away?
Nope, this is not allowed. No sharing. Even if it were, it would be a logistical nightmare.

In addition, no one is supposed to know who is free, reduced, or full pay lunch.

That's why the kids in our school have id numbers that they punch after they pick up their lunch. Of course, it's a bit ridiculous because anyone who glances at the monitor after the number gets put in can see if the kid is reduced or whatever. Their picture and status comes up for the cashier to see.

To the person who asked if free lunch students also get free breakfast, the answer is no, at least in the middle school I work at. Far fewer kids get breakfast in the morning, and they are constantly reminded that breakfast is a privilege, not a right. They can get their breakfast revoked if they misbehave. Breakfast is not even served on early dismissal days. And even if you are eligible, if your bus arrives after the close of breakfast, you are out of luck. Perhaps it is different in elementary schools.

And it is sickening how much food is wasted. Every day I see kids go through the line, both at breakfast and lunch, and throw the entire thing away before they even sit down. At breakfast, I think it is because they want to socialize, and you have to go through the line to be admitted to breakfast. At lunch, though, everyone is brought down to the cafeteria, and you don't have to go through the lunch line at all if you don't want to. I just don't get why kids get the lunch, then throw it out. Every day, all the time.

And, the OP is correct about how free lunch kids need to get the full lunch even if they only want milk. To those who wonder why the kids don't just eat the lunch----some of them won't because they don't like what is being served. I work with special ed kids, and one brings cereal every day because mom knows he won't eat the lunch. Every day he gets a lunch, uses the milk, and throws the rest out. It's not his fault the rules are cuckoo.
ctinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Let the school (or the PTO) organize a "sharing" plan. "Free lunch" child gets his free lunch. "Regular lunch" child buys a milk (and only a milk). When they get to the table, "Free lunch" kid gives his food to "regular lunch" kid.

Yes, the "wrong" child is getting the free lunch. But isn't that better than throwing food away?

Sorry, but I just had to laugh (not at you or even your idea) just that your common sense approach is what is needed is our schools and now that I think of it, I should have posted "crying" ...since its all such a sad state of affairs. What waste $$$and the food! So, we give free lunch (at everyones expense) thats being thrown away so kids can get milk...its a crazy waste of money...
The OP's post does not surprise me at all...I went to the dietician at our school (and I was on the school board mind you, tho she appeared to not know) I asked about why we had no water available to the kids....juices were available, those energy drinks and even soda (after school hours)in the vending machines.
I was told twice that WATER was not a choice because it has No nutritional value ...
Uh, Id rather my child drink water than the sugar, chemical, preservative garbage in the other drinks offered. Needless to say, we sent a water bottle each day...wont even talk about the recycle issues..
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

A major difference is that I cook tasty meals. I also cook one dinner with no alternatives. But having experienced school lunches, I'd be right there at the trash can along with the kids. That stuff is nasty.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #29
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

I have worked at an elementary and a middle school. I now work at a high school. The amount of waste is astronomical. In our district, the free lunch kids also get free breakfast. They are required to take everything offered, but most kids eat one thing and throw the rest. The cafeteria staff starting telling kids to put anything they didn't want on a table. It is then free to grab for anyone at that point. Pretty much everything on the table is picked up and eaten by someone.

We even have staff members grab cereal packages to keep on hand for hungry students. I'm just glad to see that it cuts down on the waste.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
A major difference is that I cook tasty meals. I also cook one dinner with no alternatives. But having experienced school lunches, I'd be right there at the trash can along with the kids. That stuff is nasty.
And if you cook something that your kids don't like, you can save it for the next day as left overs. The schools are having to throw it out, I don't see how anyone could be ok with this. And yep, that stuff is nasty, it isn't something that is good for kids, it is disguised as healthy, but it is CRAP.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: