Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Nutbean
Mouseketeer

Please delete.

Please delete.

Last edited by Nutbean; 02-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Nutbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

In my personal opinion, you've 'technically' done nothing wrong. You were inviting the cousins as your daughter's FRIENDS not her relatives. Essentially, I'm guessing once in the park the 3 girls would have banded together leaving you, DH & your son "on your own".

However, I can see where this would be difficult to understand from her son's point of view & almost impossible for him NOT to feel left out considering it sounds like you've always gone out of your way to specifically include him with so many other events in the past. If I were her, I might get a little bit "Mama Bear" about it too.

If your son were not attending & it was JUST about the girls, that would change the tone too - your nephew wouldn't be the only non-diapered child between your 2 families being left out of the fun in that case. (Or if you were only inviting one of the girls, but not both.) To him, it would probably hurt & feel like he was being specifically excluded. It would be difficult for a child that age not to take something like this personally.

I can really see both sides of this.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbean View Post
Now, with my son's 7th birthday approaching, I'm left wondering if it would be in poor taste of me to just invite her son and not the two eldest daughters now 16 & 15 (or the 2 year old...still in diapers) for a birthday event/party/sleepover for him???
I would invite him and not the other children. I'm SURE that a 16 and 15 year old are probably not interested in going to a sleepover birthday party for their 7 year old male cousin
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFairy View Post
If your son were not attending & it was JUST about the girls, that would change the tone too - your nephew wouldn't be the only non-diapered child between your 2 families being left out of the fun in that case. (Or if you were only inviting one of the girls, but not both.) To him, it would probably hurt & feel like he was being specifically excluded. It would be difficult for a child that age not to take something like this personally.

I can really see both sides of this.
I think this is why she felt her son was excluded, if it was just a girls trip it would be easy to explain to her son. But as your son went along and her son wasn't invited it could have very well hurt his feelings. It went from being a girl's only event to a cousin's event. And for both sets of cousin's to go to a theme park but 1, does single that 1 out. The little one in diapers is still a 'baby' so wouldn't count.

For a sleep over it is different. I can't imagine any 16 year old girl wanting to go to a 7 year old boy's party.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Nutbean
Mouseketeer

Sept/Oct 2014, 9 nights and free dining at All-Star Sports (Surf's Up section)

Last edited by Nutbean; 02-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Listen, if this situation occurred and my son was involved I'd tell him essentially, to suck it up. Life isn't fair and this is something for his sisters. He will have opportunities to do things that don't include them.

We actually have experience with this in my family. DS13 is very close with my cousin who is 15 and my aunt takes my son along on trips with them a couple times a year. Last year DD9 started complaining about it to me and I told her it was life (albeit in a nicer way). There was no reason for jealousy and I would never try to force another one of my kids on my aunt. That's ridiculous.

I'm not sure I would want to deal with this whole dynamic again. Why set yourself up for drama?

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbean View Post
Does this mean that if my son had been born a girl, they would have been allowed to come?

I don't think it's a boy/girl thing at all. I think it's a matter of all of them being included except for JUST ONE for this type of event regardless of gender. (Again, I wouldn't count the baby, being so young & unaware.) Just my $0.02.

Honestly, in this situation, I would have taken the 3 girls to the park & left DH home with our son for the day. I don't think it would have raised her hackles quite so badly.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Nutbean
Mouseketeer

Last edited by Nutbean; 02-07-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Nutbean
Mouseketeer

Last edited by Nutbean; 02-07-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

You stated the girls were invited to come to the park. Her bad if she threw son under the bus. IMHO it is rude invite someone who has not been invited by the host.

As for your DS, invite her DS. It is up to her if he comes or not because you did not include the old ones. I would not invite the older ones.

You can only control your actions and response not the response of others

Chrissy
chris31997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
heather4Disney
BEGINNER 2 DISNEY (Family with 3 small kids)

I completely understand your side and you are very kind to have invited them.

After reading the story I was trying to figure out this other mother's perspective and the only thing I could think of was that maybe going to a theme park was a bit MORE than just a sleep over. BUT you said she has taken the girls on shopping trips which were overnight ??!! weird.
heather4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Okay so what I would do in this situation is invite them all but make it very clear it is the 7 year old boys birthday party and as such all activities will be geared toward him and for his age. ThAt would give them the option to decline but not be left out. If they choose to attend then they are family and they understood what the event was for.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFairy View Post
Honestly, in this situation, I would have taken the 3 girls to the park & left DH home with our son for the day. I don't think it would have raised her hackles quite so badly.
But they wanted a family birthday, right? So why leave part of their immediate family out of it just to make someone else happy?

I would hope that this family member could be spoken to like an adult, and to just explain that even though they are cousins, they are also FRIENDS. And that sometimes friends like to do things together. My closest cousin and I got to do things together, and we didn't always have to have my brother or her sister with us (though those two did get along QUITE well and it wasn't a problem for them to be along), because we were friends.

Now, with my group of friends, most of us were the oldest and had younger brothers who were about the same age, so inviting brothers wasn't ever a problem, BUT no one ever expected it to happen. Everyone just needed to talk like adults to each other. And it doesn't seem this relative is doing that.

I would try to talk to her rationally about this, and that some events will be "family" and some will be "friends", or at least "appropriate cousins". Sleepover for a boy, no teens, no girls. Theme park for a close-in-age girls, especially if you're footing the bill, no boy cousins, etc. Sometimes, everyone is invited. If she can't deal with it, she can't deal with it, and you know that going forward.

Quote:
We ended up scrambling at the last minute to do something else for our daughter and although we had a good time just the four of us, it wasn't as nice as it could have been for her.
I'm just super-sad that you guys changed your plans because the girl couldn't come.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
rigs32
DIS Veteran

Sounds like she wanted a weekend with just the baby and tried to string arm you into taking her son. If you invite just her son for your son's bday party, I bet she'll have forgotten all about her new rule.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #15
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

If this had been someone outside the family I would have been shocked. Since it was family I will cut Mama Bear a little slack. Did she at least offer to pay her son's full expenses if you agreed to take him too? If he was that upset over not going, and his mom was willing to pay his expenses, I would probably have just sucked it up and took him as well since he gets along with your son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
Listen, if this situation occurred and my son was involved I'd tell him essentially, to suck it up. Life isn't fair and this is something for his sisters. He will have opportunities to do things that don't include them.
Hey, you sound like my mom. I learned the "life isn't fair" lesson at a young age. ( and boy was she right! ) That is a lesson that has to be learned at some point. If his mom wanted to temper the situation some, she also could have told him that the she would do something special with him while the girls were gone.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: