Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

When I was in HS we saw a slide show from the health dept of private parts of people with STDs. Including babies affected by it too. Had to have a signed permission slip. Got so sick I almost passed out. Had to leave the class. We also went to an assembly for MADD called scared sober. Saw very graphic pics from accidents of drunk drives. I pretty muched cried the whole time and hid my face in my jacket. A good friend had just been killed that summer when another friend of mine who was driving drunk crashed his truck into a tree and our one friend got ejected. Don't remember if we had to have a signed slip for that one or not.

I don't see anything wrong with it and I think you will be surprised what happens in sporting accidents. Now the fire stuff not sure how that is related.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
pinktink83
DIS Veteran

As a parent, no, I would not be okay with my child being shown graphic images such as that. True, you'd see images just as bad in a rated R horror movie, but that's why you need to be 18 and older to watch them. I hope my children don't want to watch that kind of stuff when they are older anyways.

It doesn't sound to me like any of those images had anything to do with driving, especially the burning people.

*Disneyland (CA) 5/06: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report} *SeaWorld 8/07: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 10/08: 1st Halloween! *Daddy/Son Legoland 5/09
*Mommy/Daughter American Girl Place LA 1/11{Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 11/11: 1st Christmas! *Disneyland (CA) 1/13: Carsland!
pinktink83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
So my question is, do you think this is appropriate to show in a high school? And if you were a parent of a student in my class, would you say something?
I think it's difficult to answer either of those questions without knowing in which context the nurse and the firefighter were presenting the information. Yes, those kinds of images can be shocking and inappropriate depending on how they are used - but context is absolutely important.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #19
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Given it was a health class, not sports medicine really (I'm confused as to the point of the class and the presentation as a whole thing, really), I'd think the nightclub was included in the general 'learn to not do X to stay safer or...' way. I mean I agree the people killed did nothing wrong, but they were all trying to get out one door I think. Always know where exits are, etc.

Like if you didn't see in the news, a man was pushed onto the tracks in the subway the other day here, and was hit by an oncoming train and killed. It's horrible, it's very rare, and it obviously wasn't his fault.

However, one site I saw used it to ask a couple of people from the transit authority and such what the best thing to do if you end up on the subway tracks with a train coming at you is. It was interesting, because it's sortof counterintuitive btw - apparently run away is the answer.

So... maybe it was included in that 'when you walk into an unfamiliar, crowded space, like a club or plane or etc., locate the exits in case' way? Otherwise I got nuttin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktink83 View Post
As a parent, no, I would not be okay with my child being shown graphic images such as that. True, you'd see images just as bad in a rated R horror movie, but that's why you need to be 18 and older to watch them. I hope my children don't want to watch that kind of stuff when they are older anyways.

It doesn't sound to me like any of those images had anything to do with driving, especially the burning people.
I think it was general safety maybe. Also, just for the heck of it, and this only applies if you're in the U.S., but the rating suggestion is 17 for R rated movies, but it is just that, a suggestion. It carries no force or weight whatsoever. Individual theatres can enforce their own ratings rules, like only allowing kids to see R-rated things if their parents buy the ricket, but that's the theatre.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Okay, there's a big difference between a "sports medicine" class and a "mandatory health" class. This was even more appropriate for a health class.

Personally, I'm with you--I don't need graphic images to convince me not to drink and drive and so forth. But, they have to gear these things for all students. I know my oldest saw a graphic video as part of driver's ed.--again, a place where it makes sense, it didn't bother her, and she's also the type to recognixe the stupidity of texting and driving and so forth.

If the images are continuing to bother you, I suggest you talk to your parents or a guidance counselor.

I want to tell you a little story--I remember the day I realized I had to become an EMT. I was a firefighter, and we got a call to a local campground. A 15yo boy was unresponsive in the pool. It was awful. I was watching the ambulance crew, desperately performing CPR, while his family watched. His mother was screaming, his sister was sobbing, and this perfectly healthy-looking boy was on a stretcher, dead. And I was...directing traffic. I decided then and there that next time, I couldn't just stand around. I couldn't do nothing. I had to at least try. So, I became an EMT, and I have many positive stories (including reversing cardiac arrest).

My point is, there are different ways of dealing with the more disturbing part of life. If you've come away from this class with a changed outlook, it's up to you to channel that into something productive.

As a postscript, an autopsy revealed that the 15yo had a previously undiagnosed heart condition. There was nothing anyone could have done for him. That's good to know, but it doesn't wipe the images from my mind.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

While I agree that the "shock factor" is what some people, not just teens, need to take some situations seriously, there are some people (of all ages) whom simply are overly disturbed by images such as this. While I do think it was ok to share this material with high school kids, it would have been respectful of the instructor to mention how graphic some of the pictures are and invite people to turn their heads if they need to. My niece, whom we helped raise has had a lot of trauma and loss in her life and images such as these, really put her in distress. If she was shown these in a class at school, she would have had to be picked up from school. I had a cousin that was a under cover drug agent. He agreed to do a program for our teen church group. I was shocked at the pictures and stories he shared with these kids but it made a HUGE impact on them. They are all college or older now and they still remember that program and not one of them has touch drugs.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Back in the day (88, I think it was), we watched a film that showed a decapitated body with the head laying about 20 feet away during drivers ed. It had been filmed in our state--guy fell asleep at the wheel, was leaning out the window and hit the overpass.

I've seen worse when I was younger. Dad was a fireman, and an arson inspector for some of my childhood, and he used to bring home pictures and study them. I never never never played with matches.

Though once I did play with fireworks, and caught the woods behind the apartments on fire. Didn't do much damage---scorched a small area and a tree, but only because I ran right home to tell my sister, who called 911 and grabbed the fire extinguisher and ran out the door within 3 minutes of it happening.

Man, was my behind sore for a long long time. deservedly so.

Edited to add: I have no problem with the pictures. However, I think the parents should be notified ahead of time, and be given the option of pulling their student from the class. We went to see Schindler's List in my senior year, during sociology class, at the movies, and the parents had to sign a consent form.

Last edited by Jedana; 12-06-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: to add:
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #23
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
Secondly, this is not an elective. It is our mandatory junior health class. I am not going to be a sports trainer, and most people in my class aren't either.

I do not understand the nightclub fire video. The 100 people who died did nothing wrong. And yet we had to watch a video of them trapped, burning alive. What was that supposed to teach us-how to properly build a nightclub?

I think more along these lines. Multiple boys in my class made comments like the one you mentioned.

Also, we had a student in our class who's brother in law was hit by a car while watering his lawn a couple months ago. It was a very brutal accident. I can't imagine how awful it was for her to see these.
Did they at least send permission slips home for the parents to sign before viewing the film? And were you allowed to op out of the video, instead doing a different assignment for credit?

I would also recommend talking to a parent about it, even more so if it's bothered you. Before talking to someone at the school.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholywings View Post
Did they at least send permission slips home for the parents to sign before viewing the film? And were you allowed to op out of the video, instead doing a different assignment for credit?

I would also recommend talking to a parent about it, even more so if it's bothered you. Before talking to someone at the school.
They're high school juniors. Permission slips before viewing a film? One presumes they're old enough to do something about it themselves if it really bothered them.

There was a movie (like a fictional movie) shown in a high school class of mine that bothered me, so I told the teacher it was bothering me and left.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:

They never sent permission slips home for anything at that point in my high school career unless it had us leaving campus for something. Especially not for a film in health class.

And I went to a pretty strict school... and the film the OP described sounds just like what we saw at our pre-prom assembly.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #26
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I think, depending on the context and how the films were presented, that what was shown was entirely appropriate for older high school students.
I don't think there needs to be a permission slip going home either.

I know some people are extremely sensitive to this type of thing. I was for a long time and my son still is. He had a similar situation at the end of 6th grade. Even at 12, when he was begin shown images that really, seriously bothered him and he felt he could not handle, he was able to get up and pull the teacher aside and quietly explain and asked to be allowed to do some other assignment and st in the hallway for the duration. I would certainly expect high school juniors who are THAT bothered by the images to be able to handle it themselves in a similar way.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #27
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
They're high school juniors. Permission slips before viewing a film? One presumes they're old enough to do something about it themselves if it really bothered them.

There was a movie (like a fictional movie) shown in a high school class of mine that bothered me, so I told the teacher it was bothering me and left.
They're still minors and at least the school should have notified the parents. Not all families share the same religious or moral beliefs.
It amazes me how our culture gets up in arms about sex education in high school (including the acceptance of gay lifestyles or giving out condoms so that these kids who are having sex can protect themselves). But to show them graphic and intense videos of death is acceptable.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
They're still minors and at least the school should have notified the parents. Not all families share the same religious or moral beliefs.
It amazes me how our culture gets up in arms about sex education in high school (including the acceptance of gay lifestyles or giving out condoms so that these kids who are having sex can protect themselves). But to show them graphic and intense videos of death is acceptable.
Last I checked...yes gay marriage and premarital sex are against some people's faith (I have no problems with either)

but

accidents scenes are not against any moral or relgious beliefs I am aware of. Accidents and people who cause them can come from any faith or nonfaith.

June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As above, what do religious or moral beliefs have to do with accident films?

Also, where does that idea stop? I mean yes, they're minors but at what point is parental permission not needed for every little thing and they can deal themselves? I don't recall a permission slip being sent home for any movie or film anything we viewed ... ever, nevermind in h.s., just for taking us out of the school during school hours in elementary.

High schools show lots of films and random stuff - I can't imagine sending slips home for everything. I know a girl in an anatomy class recently watched a film with horribly gross medical experiments through history clips. No one sent a slip home - there'd be endless slips and that has nothing to do with religion, which should either be coming up because it's a private school and it's fine or it's a public school and it'll only come up in larger terms.

In my high school, trip permission slips were only for the big 'everyone on a rented bus to a different locale' thing. We went out to the park for gym a lot; the science teacher liked to take a class or one of the clubs he ran out to see some exhibit or to the park to do something - he'd just make sure we all had enough train fare. Heck, a lit teacher once randomly decided we should all go read poetry under trees. I think she was bored.

As I said there was a movie shown that bothered me - I left and told the teacher. It'd never have occurred to me to go home and tell anyone, and if I had, I'd have gotten 'well did you leave? Why're you telling us now?'
Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktink83 View Post

You hope your kids don't want to watch R rated horror movies when they are older?

I wouldn't have an issue with my Jr. in HS seeing those images, its real life.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: