DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
AllieV
DIS Veteran

When are most people cancelling rooms?

update 1/1/13: Checked online and room was available. I booked it myself. Waitlist runs overnight (or so I hear) so I don't know if I'd have gotten it automatically tonite or if someone else would have nabbed it, or if someone else was on the waitlist.
==============================================
I have a waitlist in for the first day of our trip, a Thursday night in April, for a standard view 1-br at BLT. I got the very last Friday night room (the CM was rushing to book it because she saw it was the last one but had to process a sale for 4 points first).

I was going to wait on our airline tickets, but those were selling out fast (at the lower rates) so I bought them going out Thursday. At some point, I'll have to decide whether to switch the whole thing to a lake view (before those book up) and buy the extra points. We are already switching resorts on day 5 to BCV, so I don't want to do it again just for 1 night. I'd rather switch all the nights at BLT so as to stay in the same room.

I'm just not sure how long to wait for this waitlist. I do check everyday manually, just in case. Do you think more people are likely to cancel closer to spring? Someone doesn't get the tax return they were hoping for, christmas bonus wasn't good, etc.

Last edited by AllieV; 01-01-2013 at 02:06 PM.
AllieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

People cancel anytime. Could be one day out could be 11 months out. Vacation plans just change. One night waitlist for our upcoming Christmas trip come through a few days ago and MS said the same thing people can cancel at anytime.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

FWIW, I tend to cancel my "maybe" bookings somewhere between 31-35 days from check-in. My other points-based system reports high turnover in reservations at the critical "30-day" mark.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

I have read on other threads that people`s waitlists miraculously come through when they call member services. It may not hurt to call every couple of days to check on the waitlist. Good luck !
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Smile&Nod
Mouseketeer

my understanding is that the waitlist is only run against inventory each night - so if a room comes available during the day and someone snags it, the waitlist is out of luck - not saying for sure this is how it works but what i've heard. I was waitlisted for my January trip at BCV - called to check on it and was able to get a couple nights. so... definitely call periodcailly!
Smile&Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

IF you already bought 4 points, I don't think they will allow you to buy any more for the reservation. DVCLiz had a thread about this recently.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3024023
Old 12-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz
IF you already bought 4 points, I don't think they will allow you to buy any more for the reservation. DVCLiz had a thread about this recently.
Yes. You are right about this...you can only buy only once per UY, up to a maximum of 24..if all you get is 4, your no longer eligible for any more until your next UY.

FWIW, I got my waitlist for a one night SV studio at BLT about 35 days prior to a trip...so when it's a one night, I think the chances are better. Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
I did see this on another thread, but I asked very specifically about this before I bought the 4 points. I asked if I could borrow up to 20 more later if I didn't get the room and needed to upgrade. She said yes. I then asked again before we hung up and she said yes again. Maybe it's because I was using two UY of points. She may have charged the 4 to 2012 and was thinking that I could borrow the rest in my 2013 UY.

Either way, if I have to upgrade and buy, and they don't let me, I will absolutely not give up until they do. The ONLY reason I waitlisted and only bought 4 was because I could buy more later. If she'd said no, I'd have booked the lake view and bought all 18 needed to complete the rezzie.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
I did see this on another thread, but I asked very specifically about this before I bought the 4 points. I asked if I could borrow up to 20 more later if I didn't get the room and needed to upgrade. She said yes. I then asked again before we hung up and she said yes again. Maybe it's because I was using two UY of points. She may have charged the 4 to 2012 and was thinking that I could borrow the rest in my 2013 UY.

Either way, if I have to upgrade and buy, and they don't let me, I will absolutely not give up until they do. The ONLY reason I waitlisted and only bought 4 was because I could buy more later. If she'd said no, I'd have booked the lake view and bought all 18 needed to complete the rezzie.
I think you're confusing borrowing and buying. You can borrow multiple times from your next UY. What you can't do, is buy points from DVC at $15/pt more than once in a UY.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
I think you're confusing borrowing and buying. You can borrow multiple times from your next UY. What you can't do, is buy points from DVC at $15/pt more than once in a UY.
No, I was clear in my question to the CM. I asked if I could buy up to 20 more if I needed to if the waitlist didn't come through and I had to switch categories. She said yes. When I asked the second time, I asked if this was limited to a one-time purchase or if I could still buy the rest of the 20 later for this same rez. She said yes again and added that it was limited to 24 per UY.

I was borrowing 2013 points, but there is now exactly enough left for the standard view room. But again, maybe she said YES because she knew I could buy on my 2013 UY. Maybe she recorded that transaction in my 2012 UY. She didn't specify, just said yes.

I waitlisted up to 30 days, but it sounds like I should put that out longer. Maybe it will come through in March or early April.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Another question: does anyone know if I can book a cash room for standard view? If there aren't any in DVC inventory, does that necessarily mean there aren't any at all?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Another question: does anyone know if I can book a cash room for standard view? If there aren't any in DVC inventory, does that necessarily mean there aren't any at all?
Usually premium (hot to book) DVC booking categories are not available to the general public. Like HH area at OKW - not available for cash. BWV BW view - not available for cash. BWV Standard - hot available for cash.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
alicat07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Usually premium (hot to book) DVC booking categories are not available to the general public. Like HH area at OKW - not available for cash. BWV BW view - not available for cash. BWV Standard - hot available for cash.
Maybe I got lucky a couple years ago? Using the fall discount of 30-35% (I forget which it was at the time) I was able to book a 1 BR Standard view in BWV for 2 nights (Fri and Sat) in September 2011. When we checked in we were given the Preferred view (Pool view). It was a nice surprise of course! But I was able to book the standard 1BR originally!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
crisi
DIS Veteran

They book everyone on cash in standard, and everyone ends up preferred. It gives them maximum flexibility. In fact, I don't think you can book preferred, but you aren't very likely to stay standard on points.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, I was clear in my question to the CM. I asked if I could buy up to 20 more if I needed to if the waitlist didn't come through and I had to switch categories. She said yes. When I asked the second time, I asked if this was limited to a one-time purchase or if I could still buy the rest of the 20 later for this same rez. She said yes again and added that it was limited to 24 per UY.

I was borrowing 2013 points, but there is now exactly enough left for the standard view room. But again, maybe she said YES because she knew I could buy on my 2013 UY. Maybe she recorded that transaction in my 2012 UY. She didn't specify, just said yes.

I waitlisted up to 30 days, but it sounds like I should put that out longer. Maybe it will come through in March or early April.
I hope you have the CM's name to argue with an MS supervisor. I've read in multiple threads recently that the OTU points are limited to one buy per year, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicat07 View Post
Maybe I got lucky a couple years ago? Using the fall discount of 30-35% (I forget which it was at the time) I was able to book a 1 BR Standard view in BWV for 2 nights (Fri and Sat) in September 2011. When we checked in we were given the Preferred view (Pool view). It was a nice surprise of course! But I was able to book the standard 1BR originally!
"Standard view" through CRO is completely different than DVC standard view. CRO (which you used since you were using the fall discount) sells preferred view villas as standard view. It's just a different naming convention.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: