Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #16
BreeBree
Earning My Ears

When I was younger my parents would have been completely lost if I hadn't been able to fly by myself. I think from the age of 9 onward I flew alone at least 4 or 5 times a year to stay with relatives or just meet them in certain places. When I was a teenager it was even more frequent. When I first started I believe I always had an attendant keep a close eye on me and I never had a problem. My niece flew to stay with my husband and me for a few days when she was 14 and she didn't have a problem.

~Past Trips~
WDW Wilderness Lodge Engagement Trip 2006 , DCL/WDW Grand Floridian Disneymoon 2007, WDW Wilderness Lodge 2008, DL Grand Californian 2009, DLP Hotel New York 2010, WDW Grand Floridian 2011, DCL/WDW Polynesian 2012

Me(25)DH(38) DS(6)DS(5)DD(3)DD(2 months)

BreeBree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

I first flew unaccompanied at age 9 and frequently after that. My parents paid a higher price for a unaccompanied minor because I did have a flight attendant shepherding me through layovers.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Dd16 has been flying alone since she was 11. I did pay the fee for the first two times, but I believe AirTran doesn't require it after the age of 12, so I stopped.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

My 14 year old DD flew home alone as an unaccompanied minor from a summer program this year. At 14 I had to pay the Delta $100 for her. Next year I won't have to, but can if I want to. For a non stop flight, I wouldn't. Even for a connector, I think she would be fine.

When we fly as a family, we let the kids navigate for all of us so they can get used to reading the signs and figuring out where to go.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
Mouseketeer

Ok-I see basically everyone is for it. Now I have a 4.5 year old so my thinking towards the future with regards to that may be skewed.

I think I would have a hard time with it. I feel like the world I grew up in and the world we live in is now different. I don't want to really write down all the bad scenarios, but let me say this-what is there was a passenger bothering your kids on a flight. I find attendants to be stretched thin. Also with flying, you just never know, passengers go crazy and an emergency landed is needed. Now the kids are in a different airport.

I hate being a debbie downer-I just know I couldn't do it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
Ok-I see basically everyone is for it. Now I have a 4.5 year old so my thinking towards the future with regards to that may be skewed.

I think I would have a hard time with it. I feel like the world I grew up in and the world we live in is now different. I don't want to really write down all the bad scenarios, but let me say this-what is there was a passenger bothering your kids on a flight. I find attendants to be stretched thin. Also with flying, you just never know, passengers go crazy and an emergency landed is needed. Now the kids are in a different airport.

I hate being a debbie downer-I just know I couldn't do it.
You're not alone. I wouldn't send my son (age 11) on a plane alone in a million years.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
crisi
DIS Veteran

We sent my daughter to New York this summer at 13

When I was young, my best friend and her little sister escaped the fall of the Shah in Iran by getting on one of the last flights leaving Tehran without their parents and making their way from France (where the plane landed) to their grandmother in the U.S. Traveling is a life skill you teach your kids, you can't expect them to hit eighteen and be independent unless you give them independence gradually as they grow up. For one thing, they may need those skills sooner than you imagine.

Their mother escaped five years later, their father a year after that.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi
We sent my daughter to New York this summer at 13

When I was young, my best friend and her little sister escaped the fall of the Shah in Iran by getting on one of the last flights leaving Tehran without their parents and making their way from France (where the plane landed) to their grandmother in the U.S. Traveling is a life skill you teach your kids, you can't expect them to hit eighteen and be independent unless you give them independence gradually as they grow up. For one thing, they may need those skills sooner than you imagine.

Their mother escaped five years later, their father a year after that.
What an amazing story.

I fully agree it's so important to teach life skills early on. I want my kids to feel confident and comfortable so when they become adults it doesn't hit them all at once.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #24
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars
They should be absolutely fine. At age 13 I flew by myself from malaysia to the US, including an overnight in Singapore, and stops in singapore, taiwan, seattle, detroit and finally boston. A single flight with no customs to go through seems like a cakewalk. Unless your kids have behavioral problems they will be fine!
Wow. Major, MAJOR bonus points.

I'm probably still wandering around the Taiwan airport.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #25
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseEarsForAll

Wow. Major, MAJOR bonus points.

I'm probably still wandering around the Taiwan airport.
Yeah for bonus points! And to answer somebody elses question, this was definitely not my first or second trip on an airplane, although it was my first solo trip. We lived overseas and flew places all the time.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

I would never do it. Nope. I'd fly back home myself, get the kids, & fly WITH them before I'd ever let them fly alone. Too much could happen & I would never put my kids in that position of being alone on a plane if something were to happen.
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #27
pinktink83
DIS Veteran

I think it would be fine for their ages, but, but...its your anniversary! I think you should leave them behind. 1) its good for you and your husband and 2) its good to teach your children that you and husband come FIRST and 3) they don't always get what they want. It sounds like a LOT of hassle just for what would be a weekend trip away with your husband. Just let your kids stay with Grandma and spend some quality time with her, and honor yourself and your relationship and have fun just the two of you.

*Disneyland (CA) 5/06: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report} *SeaWorld 8/07: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 10/08: 1st Halloween! *Daddy/Son Legoland 5/09
*Mommy/Daughter American Girl Place LA 1/11{Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 11/11: 1st Christmas! *Disneyland (CA) 1/13: Carsland!
pinktink83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
pinktink83
DIS Veteran

Oh, and then use the money you would've spent on extra plane tickets and park tickets, and treat yourselves to a super nice dinner out and buy something fun in the park to remember your vacation.

*Disneyland (CA) 5/06: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report} *SeaWorld 8/07: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 10/08: 1st Halloween! *Daddy/Son Legoland 5/09
*Mommy/Daughter American Girl Place LA 1/11{Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 11/11: 1st Christmas! *Disneyland (CA) 1/13: Carsland!
pinktink83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #29
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

We sent our youngest son at 10 across country non stop to visit my sister. He was very mature, and we had only the *normal* parental anxieties, wasn't really worried that he wouldn't do just fine. Actually, we could have sent him at 8 if we had needed to, as he was always very mature and trustworthy.

So, it really depends on the maturity level of your child (no matter the age) and how much you can trust them in everyday life.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #30
disneypolybride2008
DIS Veteran

hi. when i was 13 i flew a 2 hour flight from indiana to see my dad in New Jersey and there was a stop. I was not allowed off the plane yet everyone else left. There was hopefully someone actually there, but it seemed like i was alone on the plane. It was right at lunch time and before the flight attendant told me to stay put i asked about food and told her i was hungry and didnt have any food. I asked if i could get some and then come back on, but they just said no.

Once the plane boarded again I told my story to this guy sitting next to me and he gave me 1/2 his sandwich, but i was leary b/c i was always told not to take food from strangers.

Just sharing my story, yours will probably be fine since it is a direct flight. Do pack snacks for them though.

disneypolybride2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: