Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
AlexRenner
Earning My Ears

mistletoe in the parks

Hi all,
I will be in the parks for Christmas and wanted to know if Disney puts up any mistletoe in the resort.
AlexRenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRenner View Post
Hi all,
I will be in the parks for Christmas and wanted to know if Disney puts up any mistletoe in the resort.
Isn't mistletoe poisonous? I doubt they would put up any of the real stuff because of that. I haven't seen any personally, but now you have me thinking about it. I will keep an eye open when I am there over the weekend.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
AlexRenner
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
Isn't mistletoe poisonous? I doubt they would put up any of the real stuff because of that. I haven't seen any personally, but now you have me thinking about it. I will keep an eye open when I am there over the weekend.
Mistletoe is poisonous?! yikes. Did not know that. Well perhaps fake mistletoe then? Something at least. Lol thanks archowl.
AlexRenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRenner View Post
Mistletoe is poisonous?! yikes. Did not know that. Well perhaps fake mistletoe then? Something at least. Lol thanks archowl.
European mistletoe is poisonous (will produce stomach cramps and diarrhea if ingested), but not the North American variety.

Maybe not mistletoe, but Mickey at DCA was wearing a sprig of fake holly with berries on a hat when we visited last week.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRenner

I think the berries are poisonous if you eat them. And with little kids around, probably not the best idea. If they put any up, I am thinking it is probably fake.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

Maybe OP is asking so he can find a cute way to sneak a kiss with a girl?

Sorry OP, I haven't seen any mistletoe in the park, fake or real, but I'll be sure to be on the lookout this weekend!
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

I was there two weeks ago and totally forgot to update! I looked and didn't see any mistletoe when I was there.

I looked especially hard in NOS, because I had heard there might be some. But I didn't see a sprig! Sorry, OP.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
European mistletoe is poisonous (will produce stomach cramps and diarrhea if ingested), but not the North American variety.

Maybe not mistletoe, but Mickey at DCA was wearing a sprig of fake holly with berries on a hat when we visited last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
I think the berries are poisonous if you eat them. And with little kids around, probably not the best idea. If they put any up, I am thinking it is probably fake.
There are several species of mistletoe.

The Phoradendron species contain a toxin called phoratoxin, which can cause blurred vision, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, blood pressure changes, and even death.

The Viscum species of mistletoe contain a slightly different cocktail of chemicals, including the poisonous alkaloid tyramine, which produce essentially the same symptoms.

Although mistletoe has therapeutic uses, eating any part of the plant (particularly the leaves or berries) or drinking a tea from the plant can result in sickness and possibly death.

Unlike the holiday poinsettia, which has a bad reputation yet probably won't do more than make you feel sick if you eat it, mistletoe ingestion warrants a call to Poison Control and immediate medical attention.

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2012/11...-poisonous.htm

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: