Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Wasting food at school~vent

I don't know if this is everywhere or just in our school district but children that qualify for free or reduced lunch program must get the entire lunch if they want a free milk. Because of this, the kids that bring their lunch but want milk either have to pay for the milk or take the entire lunch. Most of the kids end up throwing the food right in the trash and just keeping the milk.

It just seems so wrong. Why not just give them the milk for free and stop wasting so much food?
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
I don't know if this is everywhere or just in our school district but children that qualify for free or reduced lunch program must get the entire lunch if they want a free milk. Because of this, the kids that bring their lunch but want milk either have to pay for the milk or take the entire lunch. Most of the kids end up throwing the food right in the trash and just keeping the milk.

It just seems so wrong. Why not just give them the milk for free and stop wasting so much food?
Because it is easy to waste tax payer money and then claim that there isn't enough to pay for what is needed.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hear a lot of our school kids are throwing out their lunches, too. Our schools used to have decent tasting food according to the kids and a salad bar. They had hot food line and sandwich line and a salad bar you could use. The kids say they won't eat multi grain buns and sweet potato fries so they throw it away and drink their tea. The hot line is not as good since they are "healthier" meals and the salad line no longer has as many options and dressings.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I just look at what our cafeteria serves and shake my head. There is no actual cooking going on. Everything is prepackaged and warmed in convection ovens. It reminds me of rest area vending machine food. No wonder the kids don't want it.

Every now and then i take a chance of school lunch. I bring my lunch almost every day, but some days, like today, I buy the lunch. Here was our menu: Fish sticks, mac & cheese OR bean & cheese quesadilla, with collard greens, raw carrots, and mixed fruit OR a fresh banana. Okay, I can make a meal outta that, right? WRONG. The quesadilla tasted weird and the tortilla had the consistency of a leather belt, without the taste. The collards were horrible--seasoned only with vinigar-y pepper sauce. The raw carrots were decent, but warm. The banana had been packaged wih the quesadilla and it was actually HOT. Ick. I threw away the whole thing and found myself a pack of cheese crackers. T

he poor kids in our school don't have much other choice. They're all on free lunch because the low economic status of their parents. I"m sure if the parents could send something else, they would. It makes me sick to see how much food is wasted, but it wouldn't BE WASTED if the food was actually tasty!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

The OP sounds like a different issue than kids throwing away food because it doesn't taste good. This is about kids who bring in a lunch from home, and because they are on the free lunch program they want their free milk. Unfortunately that means they have to take an entire lunch to get it, which apparently means they throw the food away and just drink the milk and eat the lunch they brought from home.

OP, if I'm mistaken, please let me know.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

But they might eat the free lunch and not bring their own lunch if it actually tasted good.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Chernabog#1fan
DVCOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
The OP sounds like a different issue than kids throwing away food because it doesn't taste good. This is about kids who bring in a lunch from home, and because they are on the free lunch program they want their free milk. Unfortunately that means they have to take an entire lunch to get it, which apparently means they throw the food away and just drink the milk and eat the lunch they brought from home.

This is what the OP is referring to. This is the same in Orange County, FL elementary schools.
Chernabog#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

We don't have those programs in any of the schools in Australia that I'm aware of. A long time ago, probably in the '70s, they used to have a free milk program but that's long gone.

Is it an issue you can raise with your school board or whoever is in charge of the program in your area? Perhaps it's something that should be brought to people's attention via the media.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Let the school (or the PTO) organize a "sharing" plan. "Free lunch" child gets his free lunch. "Regular lunch" child buys a milk (and only a milk). When they get to the table, "Free lunch" kid gives his food to "regular lunch" kid.

Yes, the "wrong" child is getting the free lunch. But isn't that better than throwing food away?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

I remember when I was a kid, everyone wanted "school lunch" and those of us that could not afford it had to bring our own. Times have changed. I do also remember that school lunch often had mushy tatter tots and soggy elios pizzas. Not sure why I wanted it so bad. I think it was just because the kids with more money got to order it. Now of course I appreciate that my mom made us a healthy lunch and snack everyday, but as a kid I would have killed for some pringles. I didn't know what they were, but I knew I had never seen them at home.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
luvmy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
But they might eat the free lunch and not bring their own lunch if it actually tasted good.
true
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDumbo View Post
I remember when I was a kid, everyone wanted "school lunch" and those of us that could not afford it had to bring our own. Times have changed. I do also remember that school lunch often had mushy tatter tots and soggy elios pizzas. Not sure why I wanted it so bad. I think it was just because the kids with more money got to order it. Now of course I appreciate that my mom made us a healthy lunch and snack everyday, but as a kid I would have killed for some pringles. I didn't know what they were, but I knew I had never seen them at home.
Me too, we wanted to get school lunch soooo bad! I also remember being upset that my mom would not allow us to get chocolate milk, we had to have regular. School lunch used to be for the rich kids when I was in school. Most of us could not afford it. It actually looked good at my school though. At least, I remember the desserts. Strawberry shortcake and blueberry muffins.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:

This really is a shame and completely absurd. You need to make a big thing of this and get other people involved otherwise it will just keep on keepin on.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Because it is easy to waste tax payer money and then claim that there isn't enough to pay for what is needed.
Except in this case, they say only about half the kids eligible for the program are taking the lunches....so apparently there is a big pool of unspent money.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's exactly what I was talking about.

The food here is actually pretty good. The reason that a lot of kids bring lunch instead is because the lines are so long they don't have much time to eat. It's sad when a Kdg students says that he won't buy lunch because he doesn't want to miss recess because he's still eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Let the school (or the PTO) organize a "sharing" plan. "Free lunch" child gets his free lunch. "Regular lunch" child buys a milk (and only a milk). When they get to the table, "Free lunch" kid gives his food to "regular lunch" kid.

Yes, the "wrong" child is getting the free lunch. But isn't that better than throwing food away?

Great idea but I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed. There's a "no sharing" policy because of allergies/diet restrictions. Besides that, I'm sure that the government entity that this falls under would say it's not allowed.

The thing that struck me odd was that milk is 60 cents for a small carton and I can buy a gallon at Aldi for $1.80.

Last edited by daughtersrus; 12-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: