Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #1126
abbyar
Mouseketeer

Well, as many of our Christmas gifts are cruise related, and we don't arrive back home until after Chritmas morning, we're doing gifta this Friday. That's if I get my act together and get everything wrapped an packed in time. I'm running out of time!!!
abbyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #1127
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quick question.... It's been so long since I used DCL transportation that I can't remember the answer to this. Once I hand them my (checked) luggage at the airport, I don't see it again until it arrives at my cabin, right? I don't remember collecting it again on the other end from under the bus and handing it off to a porter, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'm weighing the pros and cons of getting a shuttle directly from my LAX hotel to the port (and thus handling my luggage on both ends) or using the DCL transport which would mean wrangling the luggage back to the airport that morning, but not having to deal with it at the port.

Thanks!

Last edited by Cruise; 12-05-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #1128
skayrobe
Mouseketeer

Mayan Exhibit

Dave and I are rushing around with last minute stuff and completely forgot the Houston museum of Science has a Mayan Exhibit going on. We are going to go tomorrow if none of the grandkids get sick and need their Yia Yia and Papa. Sherry (today we have 6 month old grandson cuz his nanny is sick)

Last edited by skayrobe; 12-05-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Addition
skayrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1129
Chinook
Sail Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post
Quick question.... It's been so long since I used DCL transportation that I can't remember the answer to this. Once I hand them my (checked) luggage at the airport, I don't see it again until it arrives at my cabin, right? I don't remember collecting it again on the other end from under the bus and handing it off to a porter, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'm weighing the pros and cons of getting a shuttle directly from my LAX hotel to the port (and thus handling my luggage on both ends) or using the DCL transport which would mean wrangling the luggage back to the airport that morning, but not having to deal with it at the port.

Thanks!
Which LAX hotel are you staying at? We are staying at the LAX Airport Marriott and DCL is picking us up there and taking us to the port.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #1130
CalifFamily
Earning My Ears

Yah for lots of kids! I know my kids will have a blast! They are very outgoing and love everyone! Just hoping all the kids stay healthy!! I worry about illnesses...

Funny that a few of you bring up the Elf subject. Our Elf came early... at Thanksgiving and will be waiting for us when we get home from the cruise. He wrote a letter to the boys saying Santa wouldn't let him go on the cruise LOL. Will the boat be decorated for the holidays?? I would love that.

I'm trying to read back on old posts and I'm sure this was probably discussed... but was wondering about currency exchanges in Columbia. Can this be done on the boat before the excursion? I don't want to miss out on any shopping!

Lastly... what's the warmest article of clothing I need? Do I need a mid-weight coat.. or will a light weight coat and a rain parka suffice? And do the ladies usually need a sweater or wrap over dresses? Are the restaurants and indoor areas kept chilly? Thanks for any help!!

So excited! Only a few days away! Woohoo! =)

CalifFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #1131
CalifFamily
Earning My Ears

That's a great question...about DCL transfers and luggage. We are being picked up at LAX and I wonder the same thing. And if you upgrade your room does it take a lot longer for them to find your luggage and get it to the right place...?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #1132
skayrobe
Mouseketeer

Chilly at Dinner

We just sailed the Magic at the end of October and I had a really light wrap for dinner every nighy and I wore it into the theater after dinner. I never needed anything else at any other time. I am taking a light wrap and a dressy jacket. Sherry
Old 12-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #1133
CalifFamily
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by skayrobe View Post
We just sailed the Magic at the end of October and I had a really light wrap for dinner every nighy and I wore it into the theater after dinner. I never needed anything else at any other time. I am taking a light wrap and a dressy jacket. Sherry
Thanks Sherry!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #1134
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifFamily View Post
Yah for lots of kids! I know my kids will have a blast! They are very outgoing and love everyone! Just hoping all the kids stay healthy!! I worry about illnesses...

Funny that a few of you bring up the Elf subject. Our Elf came early... at Thanksgiving and will be waiting for us when we get home from the cruise. He wrote a letter to the boys saying Santa wouldn't let him go on the cruise LOL. Will the boat be decorated for the holidays?? I would love that.

I'm trying to read back on old posts and I'm sure this was probably discussed... but was wondering about currency exchanges in Columbia. Can this be done on the boat before the excursion? I don't want to miss out on any shopping!

Lastly... what's the warmest article of clothing I need? Do I need a mid-weight coat.. or will a light weight coat and a rain parka suffice? And do the ladies usually need a sweater or wrap over dresses? Are the restaurants and indoor areas kept chilly? Thanks for any help!!

So excited! Only a few days away! Woohoo! =)
My experience has been that one changes currency at Guest Services.

I'm taking layers - poncho, sweatshirt, sweater.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #1135
skayrobe
Mouseketeer

Last minute

I know this is last minute but does anyone have a list of celebrations (-anniversaries and birthdays) that are being celebrated? If anyone has list can they pm me? Thanks. Sherry. I have checked the roll call on the website. Are there any that are not posted on the web?

Last edited by skayrobe; 12-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #1136
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Which LAX hotel are you staying at? We are staying at the LAX Airport Marriott and DCL is picking us up there and taking us to the port.
I'm at the Radisson which is right down the street from the Marriott. I didn't realize DCL would pick up at hotels. Did you book your flights trough Disney?

ETA: Just called DCL to ask about this. They apparently do pick up at the Marriott since that's the hotel they use when you book hotel/flights through Disney, but you don't necessarily have to have booked the Marriott through DCL in order to use the service. Handy to know... and now I wish I'd booked the Marriott!

Last edited by Cruise; 12-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #1137
rach7
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifFamily View Post
Welcome aboard! We also have a 6yr old DS, he loves the kids clubs, but we've found the trick is to take them there early in the cruise so they feel comfortable straight away. On the first day they have open house in the clubs, so you can check it all out with the kids. I think there's going to be quite a large group of 5 & 6 yr olds on this cruise!

We fly out tomorrow morning . Haven't finished packing Off to drop the dog at Grandma's for a doggie vacation...then cram in as much sleep as possible before that horrendous 13 hour flight.

Rach
rach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #1138
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach7 View Post
. . .
We fly out tomorrow morning . Haven't finished packing Off to drop the dog at Grandma's for a doggie vacation...then cram in as much sleep as possible before that horrendous 13 hour flight.

Rach
Safe journey, Rach! (Makes my 9 hours seem like a piece of cake)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #1139
Relaxin'
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
We are staying at the Marriott, too. We did not book through DCL, but we did book DCL shuttle and we were told that all we had to do was tell them at the hotel that we would be taking the shuttle and they would handle our baggage.

We arrive at LAX at 2:30, planning to hit the liquor store behind the hotel (hopefully that is safe enough during daylight), and then dinner at the hotel. I am sure we will be ready to go to bed early because of the time difference.
March 1977 - first visit to WDW, August 1980 - first visit to Disney Land, May 1981 - WDW, December 1987 - WDW with my DH, July 2003 - Wilderness Lodge first family visit, December 2003 - Cirque du Soleil, December 2007 - Caribbean Beach - NYE in WDW, March 2009 - Wonder 4 day Bahama's, December 2009 - Magic NYE Western cruise, December 2010 - Wonder NYE Eastern cruise, January 2011 - Saratoga Springs - WDW 5K Buzz Lightyear run, December 2011 Dream 3 day Bahama's,Candle Light Processional, MVMCP March 2012 - Fantasy Maiden Voyage Western cruise,December 2012 - East Bound Panama Canal,October 2013 - Dream 3 day and 4 day Bahama's and 10 miler Tower of Terror race, Sept 2014 WBTA Magic,February 2015 Magic Western,September 2015 Wonder - Hawaii
Relaxin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #1140
Jeff Spencer
Space & Disney Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
My experience has been that one changes currency at Guest Services.
Ours too on the med cruises though it was very easy to get local currency from ATMs too.

Wonder 15 Night WBPC Cruise May 2014 Web Site

May 2014 - Disney Wonder, 15 Night WBPC
Oct 2013 - Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas
Dec 2012 - Disney Wonder, 14 Night EBPC
May 2010 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
June 2008 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Mexican Riviera
June 2007 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
May 2001 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Jeff Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: