Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Mrs. Bradbury
It will ALWAYS be the PeopleMover!

I've never done online check-in so I can't speak to that, but I have been to WDW many times and did not provide them with a credit card at check-in. I will say, though, that the CMs seem mighty disappointed that I do not, to the point that they ask me multiple times. I know many like charging back to the room but I prefer to not.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
pkb24824
Mouseketeer

We do use a credit card when checking in because we do charge back to our room. But....one year we stayed at one of the All Star Resorts for one night (and checked in late) before checking into BWV for a week and the All Star room was already paid for. When we checked in they insisted that I put a credit card on file. I stated that the room was already paid for and that I was there for one night and would not be charging back to the room. I did finally give in and gave them a credit card. When I got home, they charged $.01 for the night...I never called back to see why...but in hind sight I wished I didn't cave in and give them the credit card! It was a valuable lesson learned.

May 2014 - WDW, Disneyland & Aulani
October 2014 - AKV
December 2014 - DCL 4-night Bahama cruise & BWV

May 2015 - DCL Panama Canal
October 2015 - AKV
December 2015 - AKV & BWV
pkb24824 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

So I can't do online check in just because I only have debit card not credit card?

That hardly seems fair

August 2012: Highlands Reserve ~ August 2013: High Grove ~
October 2013: DLRP Hotel Cheyenne
~ October 2014: WDW Art of Animation?

newlittleminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlittleminnie
So I can't do online check in just because I only have debit card not credit card?

That hardly seems fair
A debit card is ok.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK

A debit card is ok.
A previous poster just said they HAD to input a credit card number when doing online check in

Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlittleminnie View Post
A previous poster just said they HAD to input a credit card number when doing online check in
Did you try it? My debit card can be "run" as credit, even though it's not a credit card. The money still comes out of my checking account. I haven't tried this with Disney, as I just use a CC.

FWIW, online check in is ok, but personally, I've never found it better than regular check in. I don't do it anymore. I did notice before my most recent stay Disney is really pushing it.
Anyway, if you can't do online check in, never fear...there are always plenty of friendly CM's at the regular check in counter when you get arrive.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne

Did you try it? My debit card can be "run" as credit, even though it's not a credit card. The money still comes out of my checking account. I haven't tried this with Disney, as I just use a CC.

FWIW, online check in is ok, but personally, I've never found it better than regular check in. I don't do it anymore. I did notice before my most recent stay Disney is really pushing it.
Anyway, if you can't do online check in, never fear...there are always plenty of friendly CM's at the regular check in counter when you get arrive.
Thanks for this information.

It's not so much that I really want to do online check in its that I'm worried that if I can't use a debit card for online check in I won't be able to use it for other things like securing ADRs etc :/

Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I understood that poster to mean they had to supply some sort of number, i.e., credit or debit card, as opposed to leaving it blank, in order for online check in to work. That is something that has started in the past six months or so. But you can use a debit card so long as it has a VISA or MC logo, or if you don't want to use any kind of card at all (cash only) you can check-in in person.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #24
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I understood that poster to mean they had to supply some sort of number, i.e., credit or debit card, as opposed to leaving it blank, in order for online check in to work. That is something that has started in the past six months or so. But you can use a debit card so long as it has a VISA or MC logo, or if you don't want to use any kind of card at all (cash only) you can check-in in person.
Yes, thanks for clarifying. In fact the site auto filled in my debit card number which is what I'd used to pay the packages off. Last year and before I'd always been able to decline supplying a credit card number while doing online check in so I was a bit surprised at the change. But I just used the debit card number which the site filled in for both the GF and the YC online check ins which worked fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #25
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I do not want to give them my debit card number, so I will be doing the regular check in process.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #26
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

I'm a little confused right now

We do not like to have our CC on file at Disney and always just pay everything with cash. I did do online check in and they already had my CC on file since that is how I pay for our trips. So, even though I did online check in and they have my CC on file, when I go to check in next week, can I still tell them that I don't want to have charging priveleges on my room key???

Me(35) DH(35) DD(10) & DD(7)

discookiemonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #27
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

My cousin just told me about this thing at AAA.

It's an American Express debit card. You load money onto it and then the money gets debited off as you use it. But it is AMEX, so probably treated like a CC. Plus, for those who are concerned about using their debit card that is linked to their checking account (as a PP stated with regard to the money coming right out of the checking account so if there is an error you're out X amount of $ until it is corrected) this AMEX debit card would eliminate that concern. Just load however much you want onto it & then attach the room key to it if they are going ot insist on a CC of some sort.

I don't know if you can get one if you're not a AAA member but it's probably worth a call.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #28
zy144622
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlittleminnie

If it has a visa or MasterCard logo it runs the same as a credit card. There is no difference between debit/credit in the retail world.
zy144622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discookiemonsta
I'm a little confused right now

We do not like to have our CC on file at Disney and always just pay everything with cash. I did do online check in and they already had my CC on file since that is how I pay for our trips. So, even though I did online check in and they have my CC on file, when I go to check in next week, can I still tell them that I don't want to have charging priveleges on my room key???
Yes. I put it my cc number when I did online check in and had to ask for charging privileges when I got there. Not sure if you'll start with the card tied to your card (I didn't) you should be able to take it off with no problem

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: