Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
mommycal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fordisneyworld View Post
You might check into Standard Process products, usually found at a chiropractor's. I personally buy mine from Amazon now, but I am not recommending without you talking to someone about using it first. It is all made from whole food. We have been using one of their products specifically for boosting the immune system for about 2 years now and have had great results. Been to Disney 3 times at least while using this and stayed pretty healthy. My kids used to get ear infections and strep really bad every year. Good for protection from viruses as well. Since being on this product we have not had to use an antibiotic for a very long time. That is saying something for us with bad asthmatics in the household. Not saying it is a cure all by any means. They have other products we keep on hand to use at the first sign of coming down with something.

You still need all the great advice given already....hand washing being the best, and definitely rest and hydration. But this does definitely help boost your system.
I do use Emergen-C for the plane trips. We used to use Airborne but for some reason we all seem to actually get sick after taking that.
Enjoy your trip!!!
Please tell me more. what do you mean you use Emergen-C for the plane trips???? I saw some at trader joes and should of picked some up. what do you use? aren't there quite a few different ones?
mommycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Soben
Mouseketeer

Some tips I read before my last trip:
Hand sanitizer is useless against the stomach flu. If you have no access to water/soap, use wipes as they will mechanically remove some of the germs.

Avoid buffets. I'm sure that Disney keeps an eye on the food temps and safety. But... Everyone is touching the same tongs, you go back to your table and eat. If you really must do buffet, then use silverware for everything or wash your hands after you go up and before you eat.

We got in the habit of ordering and getting our food, then sitting down and rotating boys and girls to the bathroom to wash up. I'm not that diligent at home (should be).

Don't touch your face. That's easier said than done, especially by kids.

There's a lot of people in a space, so things are bound to go around. But the vast majority of people do not get sick at WDW, and you probably won't either.

Have fun!
Soben is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
dillydilly
Mouseketeer

We just got back from our trip and we managed to stay well. I started 14 strain probiotics and echinacea the week before for our trip as well as EmergenC/vitamin C. We take vitamins and Apple Cider Vinegar regularly at home. We washed hands frequently during this trip and used lots of hand sanitizer. The one buffet we had (Chef Mickey's) we washed hands when we got there (we were the first people there that day) and used sanitizer or washed after getting a plate of food. For our family, I also bring charcoal capsule supplements on our trips in case of food poisoning/stomach flu (I am not a doctor). A woman in the laundry room this trip told me she was washing clothes because they (8 of them)had the stomach flu and had been up all night. They were going to head out on a cruise the same day. She said the people in the room next to her had it as well (not with her group). I used a drop or two of tea tree oil in my load to disinfect. I am wondering if mousekeeping cleans from one room to the next and spreads germs that way(no debate intended)?
dillydilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
NBFUN
Mouseketeer

I'm feeling your pain, we leave on Saturday and both of my kids are home sick from school today with the stomach virus. Here's hoping it passes quickly and that my husband and I don't get it.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
micandsofsmom
Earning My Ears

My family and I just came back last night and my son was sick during our entire trip home with a stomach virus. We met another family on the magical express bus to the airport and their son was running back and forth on the bus to the bathroom to vomit. The mother annoyed me because she let her son wipe his moth on the seat on front of them after being sick in the bathroom because there were no paper towels in the bathroom, nor did she have anything for him. Gross! I pity the family who sat in that seat on the bus next. Also met at least 2 other families at the airport yesterday saying they were all sick with the same thing during their trip. It was awful! I'm traumatized by the experience with my son. We let housekeeping know he was ill before we left and asked them to take precaution when cleaning for the next guest. Don't know if they will, but I hope so. The front desk at Bay Lake Tower was no help. We asked if they could send up some plastic bags for the bus ride, and until we got to the airport. They told us no, that they "don't do that, that we would have to stop into the gift shop" and get bags. I really didn't want to drag the kid anywhere and around anyone else that he could get sick. I found a person from housekeeping and they were nice enough to give us some plastic laundry bags... Awful! I wish you all good vibes and germ free trips ahead of you!!!
micandsofsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
andielk
Earning My Ears

As with the previous poster we just got back and were super sick too. All 5 of us (and my inlaws who came up to provide back-up assistance) got a severe, several-days long stomache flu. My 3 yo old ended up in the hospital and we met sick people everyplace. Looking out the door of our hotel we could see the hall lined with other peoples vomit stained sheets and towels.

Disney does not have hand sanitizer "stations" nor bottles of disinfectant to spray down tables when you sit to grab a meal in a quick serve and we found several gift shops to be out of purell. I would imagie we got sick because all my kids are under age 4 are at that age you just cant convince them to keep their hands out of their mouths. I would strongly suggest bringing a massive supply of both handsanitizer and wipes to wipe down tables, benches, rides etc and you'll probably be fine.

Good luck!
andielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
wahmtexas
Mouseketeer

We are just back, my kids are 6 and 9, we did not get sick however 2 nights in a row, children vomited on the bus and one morning there was vomit all over Route 66 walkway just outside our Cars Bldg. at AOA. We saw a lot of sick people, Nov 27-Dec 4.
We all took a probiotic each morning and I know it helped. If you do get a stomach bug a good acid resistant probiotic will halt the stomach flu or bug in its tracks. Take some with you and you will have peace of mind
Sept.2010: Carribbean Beach, 3d trip with my kids
Dec. 2012 Art Of Animation, Cars Suite Lovin my work at home business paying for our Disney addiction!
Dec. 2013 POR Royal Room, Surprise trip for kids!

wahmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
MyKidsMom1820
Mouseketeer

our children were sick our last trip before we left. I took them to our ped. and she said they were fine to go/just a viral thing. By the time we got to Florida (driving) we ended up in the celebration ER for breathing problems/ear infections. I was kinda irked at my ped. but really they weren't too bad before we left. We missed out on our first day tho, and it was annoying and hassly to get prescriptions filled ect. Inhindsight we should have asked for more help from hotel staff. We also tried an urgentcare but were turned away since they didn't accept UHC. It was stressful for me and I felt like I didn't plan for it very well...My advice is to have a plan of action incase, but really don't stress out too much and enjoy your trip!!

April 2011- First Family Trip- AllStarMovies

MyKidsMom1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
czmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahmtexas View Post
We are just back, my kids are 6 and 9, we did not get sick however 2 nights in a row, children vomited on the bus and one morning there was vomit all over Route 66 walkway just outside our Cars Bldg. at AOA. We saw a lot of sick people, Nov 27-Dec 4.
We all took a probiotic each morning and I know it helped. If you do get a stomach bug a good acid resistant probiotic will halt the stomach flu or bug in its tracks. Take some with you and you will have peace of mind
Can I ask what kind of probiotic you all took? I have been giving my kids Culterelle, but it is a powder. I would love to find a chewable for them. They are ages 6 and (1 month shy of) 4. We leave on Saturday. Thanks!!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
gapoochi
Mouseketeer

I panic about this too (one of the reasons I wasn't sure about this time of year trip)

Unfortunately, no amount of stressing about it is going to keep it from happening if it's going to happen so I think now (2 days before) I've finally comes to terms with it. If someone is going to get sick, we'll deal with it (taking meds with us in case) and while on the topic of stressing over stuff we can't control too much, if it rains, we'll deal with that too! lol

I'm just ready to have an amazing time whatever the situation is!

We are all take a greens product to boost out immune system and I've been more on top of making sure we take it every day. Also taking it with us and doubling doses if we feel anything coming on or feel tired (gives natural energy too so that's a boost...good thing the kids love it!) It also has a lot of servings of veggies as that's what it is so with all the junk they'll be eating there, this will help to keep them at least good on veggie servings.

The kids always pick up (and pass to me of course!) lots of colds, coughs, etc but we get over them really quick (usually a day or two at most) and it doesn't seem to get as bad anymore since we've been doing this.

We are also pushing lots and lots of water to flush our systems and I've got the hand sanitizers all set for the trip (the kids, especially DD4, ALWAYS touch everything, even gross stuff lol) So, we're preparing for icky hands a lot. Also trying to stress the nap thing to a 4 year old that doesn't nap. We'll see how that goes.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
gapoochi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandsofsmom View Post
My family and I just came back last night and my son was sick during our entire trip home with a stomach virus. We met another family on the magical express bus to the airport and their son was running back and forth on the bus to the bathroom to vomit. The mother annoyed me because she let her son wipe his moth on the seat on front of them after being sick in the bathroom because there were no paper towels in the bathroom, nor did she have anything for him. Gross! I pity the family who sat in that seat on the bus next. Also met at least 2 other families at the airport yesterday saying they were all sick with the same thing during their trip. It was awful! I
UGH! ok maybe I'm not over stressing yet! lol
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
mommycal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahmtexas View Post
please tell me the name of the probiotic you take. what we have has to be refridgerated so that's no good for flying/traveling!
mommycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #28
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

I went to Walgreens today and bought Airborne chewables for me & DH (I've checked 3 stores and can't find the children's version). I also bought multivitamins with Vitamin C, Zinc and Echinacea for the kids. I spent a lot of time browsing probiotics and finally asked the pharmacist. She said it won't prevent a stomach virus, but will speed up the recovery process. Fine by me. I'll take that with us, and pray to God we don't have to use it!

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
micandsofsmom
Earning My Ears

Culturelle makes a chewable... Just FYI to one of the previous posters. I have been faithfully giving it to my kids but this time it didn't help obviously...good luck! Pixie dust!!!
micandsofsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: