Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
100%Disney
On the lookout for a good sushi etiquette book
I'M QUIRKY!!!!!
Where's the Tag Fairy's chocolate milk??
 
100%Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,256

I Have A Question About Cancellation

It looks as though I am going to have to cancel my December trip. I really want to reschedule for next Christmas. Would they let me transfer my deposit to a date that far away, or would I just lose the $200?
100%Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side
 
spiceycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: birmingham, Al
Posts: 36,927

think so but not sure. don't you have to pay a fee to even transfer because you are less than the 45 days?
__________________
Pat J

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,858

You can modify your dates out they will keep the deposit on there. Depending on how close you are to your dates, you may get hit with a document fee but that's only about $15.

They may charge you the change fee of $50, but I don't think they will. That's typically charged when your price goes down within 45 days.

Prepare for a $65 fee just to be safe, but it's better than losing $200 entirely.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
100%Disney
On the lookout for a good sushi etiquette book
I'M QUIRKY!!!!!
Where's the Tag Fairy's chocolate milk??
 
100%Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,256

Thanks, I will call today and let you guys know.
100%Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better
 
aubriee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 14,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
think so but not sure. don't you have to pay a fee to even transfer because you are less than the 45 days?
We were just at WDW Oct 27th-Nov 4th. I had an AP pkg (room with DDP) booked at CBR. About two weeks before we were to leave a coworker offered me a fantastic deal for a one bedroom villa at Westgate Town Center, just one mile from the WDW gates. She was going to lose her time and had already banked all she could, so offered it to me for just $400.00 for the week. I figured even if we had to pay WDW a penalty, it would still be worth it for the extra space and the money saved. When I called, the CM let me move the trip I had scheduled with them to mid May. She said I would only have to pay some $50.00 change fee, but it has never been charged and the rebooked trip is showing the full amount I had previously paid, so it wasn't deducted from that either.

OT: I have since decided I'd rather stay offsite again and booked a one bedroom villa at Wyndham Bonnet Creek through a third party. I have not yet canceled my WDW reservation for May though. When I do so, I'm afraid they may charge the change fee then, even though I am more than 45 days out for that trip.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
100%Disney
On the lookout for a good sushi etiquette book
I'M QUIRKY!!!!!
Where's the Tag Fairy's chocolate milk??
 
100%Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,256

I had to cancel the whole thing and pay the $200 penalty. They wouldn't refund the remaining money and just let me transfer the deposit to next year. It's ok though, I just needed to get most of the money back.
100%Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Disney View Post
I had to cancel the whole thing and pay the $200 penalty. They wouldn't refund the remaining money and just let me transfer the deposit to next year. It's ok though, I just needed to get most of the money back.
They wouldn't cancel and transfer, but if you just called and changed your dates (keeping the same reservation numb) the money paid would have stayed.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Ckhca2
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Disney View Post
I had to cancel the whole thing and pay the $200 penalty. They wouldn't refund the remaining money and just let me transfer the deposit to next year. It's ok though, I just needed to get most of the money back.
If you change your dates, they will not charge you a fee if the price of the package goes UP (they waive the fee). If the price of the package goes DOWN, there's a $50 change fee. If you cancel outright, yes, they charge the $200.
__________________
Me (45) DH (48) DS (11)

WDW - March 2000 - Offsite
WDW - Sept. 2008 - All Star Music
WDW - Sept. 2009 - All Star Movies
WDW - March 2010 - All Star Music
WDW - Sept. 2010- French Quarter
WDW - Oct. 2010 - Coronado Springs
WDW - Dec. 2010 - Coronado Springs
WDW - Nov. 2011 - Agent Education Program
Disney Fantasy Preview Cruise - March 23-26, 2012
Disney Dream and WDW, Nov. 10, 2013
Disney Wonder, Feb. 6, 2015
Ckhca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
100%Disney
On the lookout for a good sushi etiquette book
I'M QUIRKY!!!!!
Where's the Tag Fairy's chocolate milk??
 
100%Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,256

No, they wouldn't let me change my dates and just apply the deposit to the new dates, refunding the remainder. I had paid in full. I would have to leave all the money on the new reservation and I couldn't afford to do that.
100%Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
fla4fun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: near Orlando
Posts: 8,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Disney View Post
No, they wouldn't let me change my dates and just apply the deposit to the new dates, refunding the remainder. I had paid in full. I would have to leave all the money on the new reservation and I couldn't afford to do that.
As much as that wasn't what you wanted to hear, it makes sense. If you just changed the dates on your current reservation, then any money you had already paid toward that reservaton would continue to stay on that reservaton. To only have a deposit applied would require a new reservation and cancelling your old one - which brings the $200 penalty into play. Sorry you didn't have a better outcome to your situation.

That's one reason I book room only reservations. I like the fact that I can cancel up to a week ahead and get my deposit back, and I like the fact that I don't have to pay for the room until I check in. But I have also booked packages a few times when they were a better deal than RO and I did worry up until a couple weeks out that something might happen to cause the trip to be cancelled (I suppose I could have purchased trip insurance, but it covers so many things that wouldn't apply in my case that it just seems like a waste of money for me).
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
100%Disney
On the lookout for a good sushi etiquette book
I'M QUIRKY!!!!!
Where's the Tag Fairy's chocolate milk??
 
100%Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
As much as that wasn't what you wanted to hear, it makes sense. If you just changed the dates on your current reservation, then any money you had already paid toward that reservaton would continue to stay on that reservaton. To only have a deposit applied would require a new reservation and cancelling your old one - which brings the $200 penalty into play. Sorry you didn't have a better outcome to your situation.

That's one reason I book room only reservations. I like the fact that I can cancel up to a week ahead and get my deposit back, and I like the fact that I don't have to pay for the room until I check in. But I have also booked packages a few times when they were a better deal than RO and I did worry up until a couple weeks out that something might happen to cause the trip to be cancelled (I suppose I could have purchased trip insurance, but it covers so many things that wouldn't apply in my case that it just seems like a waste of money for me).
I would do room only as well, but I had free dining and that made it worth a package deal to me. I pretty much knew I'd be out the deposit, much better than the entire amount. Cancelling couldn't be helped, at this time, and I hope we will be able to go next December instead, but vacation is a luxury and we just couldn't justify the expense. Thanks for all the replies.
100%Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.