Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Professional (and even amateur) photographers profit from pictures of tragedy and death all the time. Photos of war, photos of accidents, photos of the aftermath of natural disasters. How many photographs and videos of the planes hitting the towers have we seen? Those are photos and video of the death of hundreds of people and the event immediately preceding and causing the deaths of thousands more.

I guess I just don't see why all of a sudden a practice that has been pretty common since the advent of photography (remember Mathew Brady's civil war photographs) is wrong in this one instance and not the countless others of the exact same thing.
Well, for me personally, feel f your JOB is to go to dangerous places to document things for the world (like war photographers) then you should be paid--but other than that, I would not like to see anyone profiting from photos of tragedies they just happened to be there for. I know t happens--I can still feel it is wrong.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #17
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

Quote:
Professional (and even amateur) photographers profit from pictures of tragedy and death all the time. Photos of war, photos of accidents, photos of the aftermath of natural disasters. How many photographs and videos of the planes hitting the towers have we seen? Those are photos and video of the death of hundreds of people and the event immediately preceding and causing the deaths of thousands more.

I guess I just don't see why all of a sudden a practice that has been pretty common since the advent of photography (remember Mathew Brady's civil war photographs) is wrong in this one instance and not the countless others of the exact same thing.
While I don't disagree with you in theory, it's sad that no one helped.
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

While the photo is disturbing, and I agree the Post is a crappy paper, I don't have a problem with the photographer taking it and documenting what happened. That's what photojournalists do, take pictures to document events for the world to see.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I totally agree with you. Its disgusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I'm disgusted that they would use it to sell newspapers by putting it on the cover. I'm not selling anything. Nor did I post the photo. I posted a link to a story about it that includes the photo so people who want to know what the story is can judge for themselves. I also included a warning before the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I can't look at the link, sorry. It's just too disturbing for me. That man has a family ~ a family that will someday probably see that photo (as it's all over the media now). His wife said they had an argument before he left that morning. Can you imagine?

I can't say what I think about the photographer, not to mention the piece of trash that decided to put that photo on the front page.

The photographer refused to talk to CNN unless they paid him, if that tells you anything.
Thats so sad, i cant even imagine how the wife feels right now. I honestly cant believe that the piece of trash had enough time to snap a photo but not enough time to run over and at least try to help him? Words cannot express what i think of that photographer. Disgusting.

This photo is completely inappropriate for front page news. Im sorry, what on earth were they thinking? Even the headline is wrong on so many levels. Sick people.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
I think some times it's the "implied" motive behind the picture. I think war photography is a bit different. Many times even today pictures are the only way for the general public to learn what's going on. I'm sure the civil war photographers were paid but more so because that was their livilihood, their jobs. No w maybe Matthew was sitting down holding a bidding war on his photographs, who knows.

Now I think the problem is (and FD this is only my opinion) we are in an age where we see a basic breakdown of human compassion or decency. with technology being what it is, anybody with a phone is taking pictures and wanting to be paid. I wonder if the post gave a moments thought to the fact that this person have had a family, loved ones, kids before they reduced his exsistence down to a by line? Somehow I highly doubt it.

When we take our video with camera phones, do we give one nanosecond of thought to who we could possibly be destroying before we upload it to you tube. Nope. Our first thought is "how many hits' can my video garner.

So now IMO the emphasis has changed. It is no longer, what a unspeckable horror or what a tragedy has occured, it's now "ooh, look at this gruesome story, how can we play it up for maximum effect and how can I get paid for it".

Now we make profit from tragedy. The "goryer" the better.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #21
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I guess I feel there's a difference between the photo of a random person about to die a horrible death and a story thats of national signifigance like of war or an assassination attempt etc.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

For me, what makes this photo worse than war photos or other tragedies that have already happened is in this case, the outcome could have been different.

In war photos (Civil War and others), the subjects are already dead and nothing could have been done to save them.

*shrug* I don't know, it just strikes me as voyeuristic and disgusting someone is profiting off this man's death.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #23
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
The photo isn't 'bad' but that headline is awful!
Exactly what I thought. The world isn't always pretty. Humanity isn't always pretty. The photograph is what it is, the headline though is just disgusting.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

I am not sure anyone on the platform could have helped the guy on the tracks. He was thrown in front of an oncoming subway train. Those things are huge and moving quickly when they enter the station, and they do not stop on a dime.

There happened to be a freelance photographer who sold pictures to the NY Post on the platform. He'd had his camera out. I unless I mistunderstood the coverage on the morning news shows he was using his camera to record some of the argument that went on between the victim and the guy who threw him on the track before the incident happened. He did what freelance photographers generally do when he took the picture, not that I'm buying his excuse that he was trying to use the flash to signal the train operator to stop. It would have been obvious the train could not stop in time. They said on the news that the train driver was so traumatized they had to sedate him.

But publishing it? And on the front page? Yikes. I know it's the NY Post and they'll publish anything. But yikes.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #25
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme5kids View Post
While the photo is disturbing, and I agree the Post is a crappy paper, I don't have a problem with the photographer taking it and documenting what happened. That's what photojournalists do, take pictures to document events for the world to see.
And there is a world of difference in a photojournalist and anyone with an Iphone or for that matter a snarky tabloid photographer.

There is a good chance that a photojournalist would NOT have released the picture. They understand the difference between wanting to document a story and wanting to make a buck off of some one elses tragedy.

Photojournalist want their pictures to do more than sell a newspaper.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #26
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
I guess I feel there's a difference between the photo of a random person about to die a horrible death and a story thats of national signifigance like of war or an assassination attempt etc.
But that is still someone's loved one whether it effects the world or just them.
Maybe part of the problem is that people are desensitized because we do see those types of photos in the media, so when it is a random person, its not a big deal.
(not saying its not a big deal, just saying that is the perception of photos like this when they are published).
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
Princess Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
And there is a world of difference in a photojournalist and anyone with an Iphone or for that matter a snarky tabloid photographer.

There is a good chance that a photojournalist would NOT have released the picture. They understand the difference between wanting to document a story and wanting to make a buck off of some one elses tragedy.

Photojournalist want their pictures to do more than sell a newspaper.
Wrong. This guy was a freelance photographer not just someone with an iPhone or a snarky tabloid photographer.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
For me, what makes this photo worse than war photos or other tragedies that have already happened is in this case, the outcome could have been different.
But could it? He was thrown in front of a train just before it entered the station and was too dazed to quickly get up and get to the side of the tracks where someone could reach him. From what I've heard, and it admittedly could be incorrect, it was unlikely anyone could help him without turning this from one death into multiple deaths.

It is unlikely the man taking this photo had any more chance of saving the victim in this photograph than the man who took this one yet I have never once heard anyone say he should have put the camera down and tried to put out the fire instead.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #29
Princess Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
But that is still someone's loved one whether it effects the world or just them.
Maybe part of the problem is that people are desensitized because we do see those types of photos in the media, so when it is a random person, its not a big deal.
(not saying its not a big deal, just saying that is the perception of photos like this when they are published).
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #30
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Quote:
Perhaps you can name for me the name of the woman that Stanley Forman photographed falling to her death in an apartment fire after the fire escape balcony she was standing on collapsed in Boston in 1975... and explain to me her national significance? Forman, a photographer for the Boston Herald American, was awarded the first of his two Pulitzer Prizes for this equally horrifying photo... 37 years ago.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: