Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Photo of man about to be killed by subway train

For starters I am absolutely disgusted (but not surprised) that the New York Post would use that photograph on the cover. The Post is just a tabloid piece of trash. here's the story with photo attached if you haven't seen it WARNING: it is very disturbing! http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...een-published/

The photographer is receiving a LOT of heat about not doing something to help the man (and yes, the man who was pushed onto the tracks died). They did catch the guy they believe pushed the man.

So, what do you think about the Post using that pic on the cover? What do you think about the photographer?

Last edited by Jennasis; 12-05-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

If you are disgusted that they used it, why would you post a link to the photo? You could have just started a thread asking people what they thought
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
If you are disgusted that they used it, why would you post a link to the photo? You could have just started a thread asking people what they thought
I'm disgusted that they would use it to sell newspapers by putting it on the cover. I'm not selling anything. Nor did I post the photo. I posted a link to a story about it that includes the photo so people who want to know what the story is can judge for themselves. I also included a warning before the link.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Awful.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I'm disgusted that they would use it to sell newspapers by putting it on the cover. I'm not selling anything. Nor did I post the photo. I posted a link to a story about it that includes the photo so people who want to know what the story is can judge for themselves. I also included a warning before the link.
Oh, I see its not that you are disgusted by the photo, its about the profit from it, thanks for explaining.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

That s always the case.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I understand why people are jumping on the photographer but I don't think the picture is the problem, it is the perceived lack of helping the guy. At first I felt like you did but after hearing some people in NY talk about it it seems like the man waited until just before the train was coming to push him so there wasn't really any time for anyone to help him. I've also heard that the man pushed was pretty intoxicated which kept him from reacting quickly himself and getting to the side of the tracks where someone could have even reached down to help him. I wasn't there though so perhaps the people I heard talking about it were wrong.

So, if all of that is true I really don't think the photographer or anyone else really could have saved him and, in that situation, I don't think snapping the pictures is that bad and since we show death in the paper all the time showing something immediately preceding a death really doesn't bother me. It is also a good reminder that we are surrounded by crazy people so don't do anything that might contribute to the situation.

Just my opinion.

ETA: A photo of the self-immolation of Thich Quang Duc won Malcolm Browne the Pulitzer prize and World Press Photo of the Year. It is a picture that went all over the world and is much more disturbing than this picture yet I've never once heard any criticism of that photo.

Last edited by FireDancer; 12-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

I can't look at the link, sorry. It's just too disturbing for me. That man has a family ~ a family that will someday probably see that photo (as it's all over the media now). His wife said they had an argument before he left that morning. Can you imagine?

I can't say what I think about the photographer, not to mention the piece of trash that decided to put that photo on the front page.

The photographer refused to talk to CNN unless they paid him, if that tells you anything.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Rylee
DIS Veteran

I find the whole thing very disturbing.

I am disgusted with the photographer for selling the photo.

I am disgusted with the newspaper for publishing the photo, so sorry for the victim's family.

The photographer said he wasn't close enough to help the man, (said he was actually farther away than it appears in the picture) but I wasn't there, so I can't pass judgement on that. Also, can't speak of any other witnesses that may have been close enough to help.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Jennasis
PLINKO baby!

the photographer was on the Today show this morning. he said he was too far away and there wasn't enough time to help.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

I agree, the Post has clearly sunk to a new low....

Listen, disturbing photos of people about to die have been published in newspapers for decades, and decades. Some have even been awarded Pulitzer Prizes. So what's so unique about this example?

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."

Last edited by Geoff_M; 12-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I can't bring myself to look at the link, so my opinions are based only on what is in this thread.

We take trains and streetcars nearly every day.

I stress to my kids all teh time that they need to stay back and never be close enough to the edge to slip or be pushed off. I know that as teens they do nto always listen.

I can easily, easily imagine that someone could witness such a horror and not have any time to get to the man or help him and that trying to help him would only result in multiple deaths--so, if timing was tight n this case I cannot fault anyone for not assisting.

Taking the photo in itself is not a bad thing. It could be evidence to help in a conviction--or somehow useful in trying to create better safety. It might also be a useful tool to help people understand just how very serious the safety concerns are (sort of like showing teens photos of drunk driving or testing accidents to get it to sink in how dangerous that is).
Selling the photo...that strikes me as wrong though, profiting off of this tragedy.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Probably why no one helped...they were afraid the pusher would push them?

It is horrible all the way around although I do not have an issues with Jennasis posting this thread or a link. Not sure what's up with that??

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

The photo isn't 'bad' but that headline is awful!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
Taking the photo in itself is not a bad thing. It could be evidence to help in a conviction--or somehow useful in trying to create better safety. It might also be a useful tool to help people understand just how very serious the safety concerns are (sort of like showing teens photos of drunk driving or testing accidents to get it to sink in how dangerous that is).
Selling the photo...that strikes me as wrong though, profiting off of this tragedy.
Professional (and even amateur) photographers profit from pictures of tragedy and death all the time. Photos of war, photos of accidents, photos of the aftermath of natural disasters. How many photographs and videos of the planes hitting the towers have we seen? Those are photos and video of the death of hundreds of people and the event immediately preceding and causing the deaths of thousands more.

I guess I just don't see why all of a sudden a practice that has been pretty common since the advent of photography (remember Mathew Brady's civil war photographs) is wrong in this one instance and not the countless others of the exact same thing.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: