Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Tiradan
All five in one year

Solo table service dining at WDW

Hello everyone,

I'm going to WDW for only the 2nd time in my life this January (first time was last month ). I didn't eat at any sit down restaurants because I was solo and I'll be solo again this January, so I was wondering if it would be strange to make reservations for 1 at any of the table service restaurants. I especially want to try the new Be Our Guest restaurant, would it be weird to make a reservation for one there?

Thanks.
Tiradan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

You will hear from plenty of people on this ..

Everytime (26ish) visits to the house of the mouse...we have seen plenty of solo diners...one of my husbands co workers...always goes by himself...

Biergarten is a great place to go solo..you sit with another group of people and everyone is so friendly...at least our ten or so visits there have been positive visits..

GO and make some reservations...enjoy yourself...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There is absolutely no problem with making a reservation for one. The only concern is that at some restaurants reservations for one can be hard to come by. Try making a reservation for two. Then you can either call and reduce it to one, or when you show up say there is going to be one diner instead of two. I'm not sure if you mean can the system do it, or will the staff give you a hard time when you arrive. They shouldn't.

Another way to handle eating at TS as a solo diner is to pick the ones that have a bar or lounge that serves the full menu. Usually you don't even need reservations if you're willing to do this.

Remember if you want to see Be Our Guest you can also eat counter service lunch there. Biggest concern with a solo for lunch is that you need to get your own drinks, condiments and utensils, maybe do that before you sit down.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

THis

And to add that there are a large # of WDW restaurants with bars that serve a full menu. We eat at the bars all the time and it's a great spot for a solo diner.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
IrishPixies
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiradan View Post
I was wondering if it would be strange to make reservations for 1 at any of the table service restaurants
If it helps at all, I will be checking in at Pop on Sunday and I have 12 ADR's for my solo stay (doing deluxe dining). I dine solo often at home so I don't feel uncomfortable about it at all. I did have to make most of my reservations for 2, though. So the advice to try looking for spots for 2 is absolutely great advice. You'll have many more options.

I can give you a report of how it all went when I return but I'm sure it will be GREAT!
IrishPixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
BayouBelle77
Earning My Ears

My fave restaurants for dining solo at WDW:

Flying Fish and Jiko - both have counter seating and are just fantastic. Flying Fish has always been bustling with activity even though I go during slow season. I have found Jiko to be a bit quieter. Don't know which type of atmosphere you prefer.

Bluezoo - you can get the full menu at the bar...I did the chef's tasting menu and it was one of the top 5 best meals I have ever eaten. Plus this restaurant just looks really cool inside.

Bistro de Paris - I snagged a table by the window and got to watch Illuminations during dessert. Very quiet atmosphere.

Artist Point - the food was excellent (cedar plank salmon) and the waiter was very attentive. He even took my charger in the back and charged my camera battery while I ate so I had a full battery when I went back to the park after dinner.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

WDW Pop Century (November 2011)
WDW Pop Century (March 2011)
WDW Pop Century (February 2009)
WDW Coronado Springs (February 2008)
WDW All Star Music (December 2002)
WDW off property (May 1993)
WDW off property (September 1990)
WDW off property (September 1987)
BayouBelle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
GATORinaZ28
DIS Dad#764

While I cannot speak for the Be Our Guest experience solo, I can speak for dining solo as I solo'd a trip in May 2010. Absolutely nothing weird about it at all! I was treated the same as anywhere else I have been with my family. It was also kind of nice to finish and leave rather than to wait for others. (lol)

I hope you stay and dining!

71-84 - Contemporary Resort with Grandparents || 01/94 - Off Site @ Disneyland || 06/07 - Contemporary Resort || 02/08 - Caribbean Beach Resort || 05/10 - All-Star Sports / Coronado Springs Resort || 12/10 - Offsite @ DisneyWorld || 11/11 - Port Orleans Riverside || 11/13 - Port Orleans French Quarter || 5/14 Rock Your Disney Side Party / Pop Century

Next trip: 12/14 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
GATORinaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
winthropf
Mouseketeer

One thing to note if booking a solo ADR online. If you enter for 2 people, many more time slots open up.
winthropf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

I am planning my first solo trip in a week and a half. I see mention of bars that serve full menus. Can someone please list some of these?

Thanks!
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
mlittig
DIS Veteran

I go solo and eat wherever I want I have also used the "book it for 2" strategy if I can't get a table for one since I figure it is not a problem because I have never seen a real table for one

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop Century 9/11 Pop Century 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Pop Century
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

I had dinner solo at Be Our Guest, and also a solo lunch. No worries. The nice couple at the next table shared a small bit of casual chit-chat with me. But if that's not for you, that's OK, too. I had the most wonderful meal at Narcoossee's with a very attentive but not intrusive waiter. Nice evening.

I reserved all my ADRs for one. I couldn't get a res at 'Ohana. I even tried res for 2. I think they have very limited small tables. I don't worry that I'm solo. I had my time "in the sun" with family. Now my DH has passed and DD has married and lives far away. But I still want to visit WDW as often as possible. So I don't try to overthink my situation. As a WDW-lover, I'm glad that you're returning to WDW so soon after your first visit. Have a great time!
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Sure Pete!!

Blue Zoo
Shulas
California grill
Il Mulino
Flying Fish
Narcoossee's
Jiko
Citricos

And those are just the Signatures.

I've heard that Fultons and Portobello both have bars where you can order full meals as well. There is of course the ESPN on the Boardwalk, and since we always order lunch at the Gurgling Suitcase at OKW, I'd expect they serve the dinner menu from Olivias. And there is Yak and Yeti in the AK. VERY small bar, but nice!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
racefilly
Earning My Ears

Solo Dining Options

One of my favorite places to go when I travel solo is the sushi bar at Kona Cafe at the Polynesian resort. Not only is it sushi, but you can order anything off the menu from Kona Cafe, plus they have full bar service. A lot of solo diners eat there. I also enjoy the bar at Citricos or California Grill. Go enjoy, I've met a lot of wonderful people while dining solo who are also dining solo. You know you will have one thing in common - the mouse!
racefilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
Sure Pete!!

Blue Zoo
Shulas
California grill
Il Mulino
Flying Fish
Narcoossee's
Jiko
Citricos

And those are just the Signatures.

I've heard that Fultons and Portobello both have bars where you can order full meals as well. There is of course the ESPN on the Boardwalk, and since we always order lunch at the Gurgling Suitcase at OKW, I'd expect they serve the dinner menu from Olivias. And there is Yak and Yeti in the AK. VERY small bar, but nice!!
Thanks Uncleromulus! I didn't know about Citricos and always wanted to go there. I may have to see if I can get a seat there this trip.
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
edbo77
Mouseketeer

I posted a similar thread earlier this week, got lots of great replies if you want to check them out.

As for my own experience, I ate solo at Cape May Cafe for dinner earlier in the year. Showed up with no reservation and got seated in about 15 minutes.
March 1995/June 1995 - Off Property
June 1995 - POR
April 1997 - POR
May 2000 - POR
October 2004 - Beach Club Villas
February 2007/June 2008 - Boardwalk Villas
February 2012 - Off Property
October 2012 - Beach Club Villas
edbo77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: