DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Remind me how to change resorts at 7 months if booked home resort at 11 months?

I own at two resorts BCV and BLT. My kids want to stay at BCV the whole trip.

We want a two bedroom. The cost would be 353 points for us.

I have 70 points I can use in the current use year and I can borrow 175 points with Beach Club Villas. So, that gives me 245 points.

I can reserve the first 4 nights for 206 points at BCV at the 11 month window. But I can't reserve the 5th night as I run out of points. So, I was going to reserve the next 3 nights at BLT and then, move the reservation at 7 months.

Unfortunately, the next 3nights are very expensive at BLT at 11 months. But if we can't switch back to BCV we want a good view and love theme park view. We'd have to switch to a 1 bedroom which is okay because you got 2 bathrooms and 2 separate beds in the living room. So, I have 125 points to work with. 1 bedroom-theme for the next 3 nights would be 154 points. A lake view 1 bedroom would be 137 points. So either way I'm short points and I don't want to borrow from the next use year because I wouldn't be able to use the points if I ended up switching to BCV.

So, I have a few questions:

1) Last time I did this we spent the entire week at BLT and since that is more expensive than BCV it was easy change our BCV reservation at 7 months to BLT as I needed to borrow more anyways. But this time we have the opposite problem. We want to stay at BCV which is cheaper even in a 2 bedroom. Also, last time I remember there was an issue when I went to switch. I basically, had to cancel the BCV reservation and then, rebook at BLT and hope the reservation was still there when I did the switch. I had no issues but I was staying a summer week. It was 4th of July week. Is this how the process is still done now?

2) So, what should I do about that last night at BLT? Should I book a studio? So, I don't have to borrow points? The nights I need to reserve start on the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week. I'm wondering if I'll even get my first choice with people that walk their reservation. I don't even think I have enough points to walk without borrowing?

3) Any advice on what I should do?

Bless your heart if you read this whole question!

Last edited by OurDogCisco; 12-02-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Thanksgiving week is very popular - IMO, it will be quite difficult to get BCV at 7 months. 2 bedrooms go quickly for that time and there aren't many of them, as you know.

Here's an alternative booking method to consider -

Look for someone willing to transfer you BCV points so that you can reserve your entire trip at 11 months.

Then rent or transfer the BLT points you would have had to use at 7 months. BLT is popular, too and so I do not think you will have trouble getting rid of the BLT points for a reasonable price.

This may (or may not) end up costing you a little more than changing from BLT at 7 months, but it would remove the anxiety over getting your BCV reservation.

If it were me, I think I would tell the kids that because Thanksgiving week is so popular, there is a good possibility that we'd end up with no reservation if we try to get the whole reservation at BCV. I'd suggest we do a split trip and concentrate on the MK (and maybe MVMCP) for the BLT nights, and then on DHS & EPCOT for the BCV nights. I'd probably stay in the 1 bedroom at BLT for the first part of the trip and end it at BCV where you will have the larger accomodations

Good luck with whatever you decide. I love the Holiday season at WDW.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
Thanksgiving week is very popular - IMO, it will be quite difficult to get BCV at 7 months. 2 bedrooms go quickly for that time and there aren't many of them, as you know.

Here's an alternative booking method to consider -

Look for someone willing to transfer you BCV points so that you can reserve your entire trip at 11 months.

Then rent or transfer the BLT points you would have had to use at 7 months. BLT is popular, too and so I do not think you will have trouble getting rid of the BLT points for a reasonable price.

This may (or may not) end up costing you a little more than changing from BLT at 7 months, but it would remove the anxiety over getting your BCV reservation.

If it were me, I think I would tell the kids that because Thanksgiving week is so popular, there is a good possibility that we'd end up with no reservation if we try to get the whole reservation at BCV. I'd suggest we do a split trip and concentrate on the MK (and maybe MVMCP) for the BLT nights, and then on DHS & EPCOT for the BCV nights. I'd probably stay in the 1 bedroom at BLT for the first part of the trip and end it at BCV where you will have the larger accomodations

Good luck with whatever you decide. I love the Holiday season at WDW.
Thank you! I haven't thought about the transfer the points aspect of it. My 11 month window is coming up. Hopefully, I can figure that part out. Great idea. Yes, that would make it less stressful.

This would be our 3rd trip during the holidays. I love this time of year. We've stayed at BCV one year during Thanksgiving and then, one year we stayed at Wilderness Lodge during Christmas. We are excited to go back.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
CKCruising
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
Unfortunately, the next 3nights are very expensive at BLT at 11 months. But if we can't switch back to BCV we want a good view and love theme park view. We'd have to switch to a 1 bedroom which is okay because you got 2 bathrooms and 2 separate beds in the living room. So, I have 125 points to work with. 1 bedroom-theme for the next 3 nights would be 154 points. A lake view 1 bedroom would be 137 points. So either way I'm short points and I don't want to borrow from the next use year because I wouldn't be able to use the points if I ended up switching to BCV...
You could borrow the BLT points to get the room you want and then IF you can switch to BCV, use those borrowed points first and bank the extra points from BLT. Not perfect, but you wouldn't loose any points.

April 2009 - Disney Magic Eastern Carribean, Nov. 2010 - Disney Magic Western Carribean
April 2010 - AKL (Jambo), August 2011 - SSR (THV) + VB, October 2011 - BLT [MNSSHP], March 2012 - AKL (Kidani), December 2012 - BLT [NYE]
CKCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKCruising View Post
You could borrow the BLT points to get the room you want and then IF you can switch to BCV, use those borrowed points first and bank the extra points from BLT. Not perfect, but you wouldn't loose any points.
That would work for someone who goes yearly but that isn't us. We tend to go every other year. So, I really need to bank next year's points into the following year. Good idea though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: