Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
I'm curious who has used dental coverage towards ortho and how much it helped...
Not yet but soon ~ ours will cover 70%

My niece and her parents all recently got braces! Mom and dad are in their mid 30s, niece is barely 10. Mom and dad both have dental coverage and they "play" well together, their braces are basically free.

My ex and I are both federal employees and federal plans do not "play" well together - bummer.

I switched moments ago to a new plan *the same my ex uses to insure him and our kids* after 12 months I can use it for ortho - planning on braces on the back of my teeth *top at least* I wore braces for years but did not wear my retainers *stupid of me - I was a smarter than everyone else teen* so my teeth could use some cosmetic help.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
apnep
Disneyworld Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Question for the parents who got their kids braces:

Do you pay up front for everything? Just curious how it works.
With all three we paid for everything up front and just got the money back from our flex accounts throughout the year. But I will caution you here, make sure you know how your flex account works because they only pay out over the course of the treatment. So if you pay out in full up front and the treatment lasts more than a year, you won't get it all back in full the same year. Does this makes sense? For our son who had only one treatment, we also got his tonsils and adnoids out the same year before we started treatment and that ate up some of our flex account so it worked out. They do have payment plans that don't charge interest and they just break it up into equal payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
When I was growing up I don't remember kids in braces before middle school. Nice way for orthos to charge for braces twice: once in elementary school and once in middle school.
Yes to this. DD's second phase was not supposed to be that
extensive but now he wants to do the same treatment as DS! Oy...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

I changed our dental plan during open enrollment last month to a more ortho friendly choice. It forces me into an HMO BUT I live in a large area so I had a lot of orthos to choose from. I also setup a flex spend account so we could put down a deposit if need be.

We have 2 kids we need to get into treatment and I want to make it as cost effective as possible for a great doctor.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
angierae
DIS Veteran

For my daughter's ortho treatment, the original estimate was about $8000. This included braces, all visits, and her retainers. My dental insurance covered a lifetime max of $1500, so we paid $6500 up front for her braces.

The dental insurance, on the other hand, only paid a % every month - so if the dentist said it would take 2 years, they paid 1/24th every month. But we only had to pay the $6500 insurance wouldn't cover.

They were going to do permanent retainers for her but decided at the last minute that she didn't need them, so she did her retainers 24/7 for 3 months and now only at night. (She got her braces off in August.)

(There was a refund back, too, but I don't know how much, as my ex-husband cut the check for the braces out of one of her savings accounts his grandparents have for her, so they cut the refund back to him. I don't think it was more than a few hundred dollars.)

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
pantherlj
DIS Veteran

My 13 year old is on the last few months of braces. She had a retainer for almost a year to help move her lower jaw forward. She is about 10 months into a year of full upper/lower braces. She'll then have a retainer to wear at night. She started the process just before her 12th birthday. They gave me a few payment options. 3% discounts if paid in full, and then something like nothing down and $300 a month. I paid $1000 down, $200 a month for 2 years. It all worked out to $5200 total. My dental insurance will pay 50% up to $2000 so I pay and then file a claim every month until I hit the $2000.

My just turned 10 year old needs them now - figures, just when I am down to my last 2 payments on older one. She has to wear a T Rex (?) to move her molars as she has no room for her canines. It's either that or remove 2 of her adult premolars. Otherwise, the canines won't come in or will come in sideways. Then, 18 months of full braces. $5400 total. Dentist said we need to start soon before the canines try to erupt.
pantherlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
StephMK
DIS Veteran

DD18 had 2 phases but her front top teeth were so crooked that I was not going to subject her to additional years and potential teasing for one treatment. Luckily, we changed jobs/insurance so there was a $1500 limit towards ortho both times.

DD12 is in braces - 1 phase - and we were recently forced to change orthos when ours up and closed shop unexpectedly. I am not in favor of paying in full up front and am thankful we were on payments. We have $1500 towards ortho for DD and use our pre-tax to cover the payments.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm curious who has used dental coverage towards ortho and how much it helped...
No ortho or dental coverage. My almost 11 year old has been through the ringer with his teeth.. 3 oral surgeries. Or dentist and ortho are great though. Our ortho does not do 2 phase braces. When we were referred there when Declan was 9 he flat out said i dont see them this young ( he looks younger than he is)..but once he looked in Declan mouth it was a whole other story. He's had invisalign and a quad helix along with a space maintainer. We go back in a week to see if it's braces time. His mouth has cost us over 15k and we haven't even gotten to braces yet. I'm not a person that things kids need perfect teeth..my oldest never had braces ( has great teeth but not Hollywood perfect). Declan's teeth were bad.. all twisted and a mess. it was a self esteem issue for sure along with a multitude of issues. We've had to budget hard to pay for all his issues.. but it's worth it!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
britfish
DIS Veteran

I've had a permanent wire behind my front top teeth for just about 9 years. I've had to have it replaces once during that time frame. I'd ask why it isn't "working" for your son. It is nice to have because it really does keep those teeth tight together (I also have retainters for night).
britfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #24
Pembo
OH-IO

Quote:
DD just started with her braces last month. Our original quote was $2800 for phase one. With our insurance adjustment, we are only paying $800. Insurance paid $1200. So for us, it helped ALOT. Of course when we get to phase 2, there will be no more insurance $$ to help.

I shopped orthos for cost. This office is very swanky but the price was much more reasonable.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #25
mistysue
DIS Veteran

I think that the wires do work for most people, sounds to me like for some reason it just isn't sticking for your son. I just went in a few years ago and had mine removed after about 13 years. Because I did that, I know quite a few people who still have them. I am 31 and many of my friends got their braces off around 14-16 years old.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Sandi12404
Mouseketeer

My 8 yo dd is going to need braces eventually because she was a thumb sucker. She's pretty much broken the habit but the damage has been done. I have to call around to see when I should bring her in. At least my insurance pays 50% of the total cost.

me hubby dd15 dd9 ds 1
Sandi12404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #27
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

I feel your pain! I have four kids in braces right now! Our insurance only pays a small fraction!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #28
wendow
DIS Veteran

Our dental insurance pays nothing towards ortho So, our dd who is 12 is currently one year into her braces. The cost was $5295 and that includes everything other than loss of retainer. We are on a monthly (no interest) payment plan. $500 down/$200 per month for 2 years I think. We submit through our flex plan for reimbursement but we have to do each payment that way. They would not allow us to submit the entire cost upfront even if we were choosing to pay it all upfront because the treatment and cost is phased over 2 years.

Invisalign would have been $6000. In talking to others around the country, it appears ortho cost really vary by region.

me , dh , dd14 , dd12 , ds6 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #29
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I pay about $6500 for each of my kids' braces, but so far, they're very good at replacing/fixing things that break, at no cost to me. Dd16 has her braces off, and now only has the plastic retainer, but will get a permanant one put in. I can't imagine them charging me if it breaks - heck, I want my own waiting room chair with my name on it!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Oh how I wish DD didn't need braces! I feel sorry for the kid. DD11 is in her first phase which started a year ago. The only reason we started so early (she only has 7 adult teeth) is to correct her underbite. Her top teeth now come in front like they should but it seems like they are "flared" out to make that happen. It bothers DD.

They haven't made any adjustments for a few months, so I think they are just waiting for more teeth to grow in. I wish she could have them off for a while. Tomorrow we'll see what the ortho says. They originally told us 12-15 months and it has been 13 months. I figure though we will have to leave them on because she has gaps where the canines need to come in and if she has no braces her top ones have room to shift. Those canines want to come in sideways, too. They want to put a brace on the unerupted canines and pull them down straight, but want more adult teeth to anchor to. At the rate she looses teeth, it will be a long wait. Ugh, I don't know what will happen!

It also seems like we have a high rate of poky wires in the back, broken wires (she has a long expanse of wire from the back tooth to where her adult teeth are in front with no brackets between), etc. and it always happens on a weekend.

Those are my rants! DD14 could have some minor issues fixed, I haven't decided whether to mess with it or not. Hers would probably be pretty easy and quick, but DD11's experiences make me not want to subject anyone else to this!

First phase was $2100. Who knows what cost is in our future.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: