Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #2761
KaylaM
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain1 View Post
Oh that's right! Thanks for reminding me, maybe now I'll feel comfortable making a reservation
I felt overwhelmed after making our reservation because of being tied down, but when it was a day or two before, I was looking forward to it.

Don't forget to go to Hollywood Studios to see the Osborne Family Spectacular of Lights!! It is AMAZING and worth the evening out. We only went in the evening just for that (Animal Kingdom during day), and I only wished we had another free evening to do it again when there because it was just AMAZING!! My daughter loved the lights and music. I could of sat there all night watching it (we stayed two hours just as it was)... That was one of the top highlights of our week...
__________________
Make-A-Wish trip November 2012 Give Kids the World / Walt Disney World

Disney Cruise on the Dream Ship December 22-26, 2013.
KaylaM is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #2762
onceagain1
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaM

I felt overwhelmed after making our reservation because of being tied down, but when it was a day or two before, I was looking forward to it.

Don't forget to go to Hollywood Studios to see the Osborne Family Spectacular of Lights!! It is AMAZING and worth the evening out. We only went in the evening just for that (Animal Kingdom during day), and I only wished we had another free evening to do it again when there because it was just AMAZING!! My daughter loved the lights and music. I could of sat there all night watching it (we stayed two hours just as it was)... That was one of the top highlights of our week...
Oh yes, the osbourne lights are definately on the list! Debating buying tickets for the mickeys very merry Xmas party. Using it as an extra day as you can get in at 4pm. Not sure yet though. Also, have you gone to see the Ice Age (or is it Shrek?) ice sculpture display at the Gaylord Palms hotel? Looks amazing and shows on GKTW website as giving free tickets to wish families. I'm hoping to find time to see them.
__________________
Mom to 2 wonderful girls: Chatterbox, 6yrs (our wish child), and Busypants, 2yrs



Chatterbox's Pre-Trip Report

December 14 - December 22, 2012
onceagain1 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #2763
KaylaM
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain1 View Post
Oh yes, the osbourne lights are definately on the list! Debating buying tickets for the mickeys very merry Xmas party. Using it as an extra day as you can get in at 4pm. Not sure yet though. Also, have you gone to see the Ice Age (or is it Shrek?) ice sculpture display at the Gaylord Palms hotel? Looks amazing and shows on GKTW website as giving free tickets to wish families. I'm hoping to find time to see them.
I really wanted to take my daughter to see the Ice show (whichever one its called), but the theater/arena is 9 degrees and even though they give out parka jackets (you bring everything else to keep warm), there is no way my daughter would of enjoyed or stayed healthy in that kind of environment. I was so disappointed as she would of enjoyed seeing it if they had a "warm" area for kids like her. I would of enjoyed it too. However, it turns out, even if we wanted to, there was no time.
__________________
Make-A-Wish trip November 2012 Give Kids the World / Walt Disney World

Disney Cruise on the Dream Ship December 22-26, 2013.
KaylaM is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #2764
MOPNB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Anybody going on their Wish Trip during the dates of September 22 to September 29? We have the pleasure of volunteering at GKTW (the ENTIRE FAMILY) on September 23 and while we will not be able to afford Disney Parks, we plan to take full advantage of our Alumni Status while we are in Kissimmee.

So this is my first post. I'm a newbie here.

What does this mean "alumni status?" My kiddo's wish trip was in 2006. We are going back to Disney World next fall.

I'd like to go back to GKTW just for a look around. Anybody ever wear or make a Wish Alumni shirt or something like that to wear to the parks? Is that weird?

This is such a cool place!
MOPNB is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #2765
KaylaM
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPNB View Post
So this is my first post. I'm a newbie here.

What does this mean "alumni status?" My kiddo's wish trip was in 2006. We are going back to Disney World next fall.

I'd like to go back to GKTW just for a look around. Anybody ever wear or make a Wish Alumni shirt or something like that to wear to the parks? Is that weird?

This is such a cool place!
I love that idea.. We just went over Thanksgiving week - my daughters wish trip, and plan to go back next year over Christmas. Would love to wear a Wish Alumni shirt! I saw lots of people wearing wish shirts in Florida, but not Alumni. I didn't even know about the wish shirts until I saw people wearing them in Florida.
__________________
Make-A-Wish trip November 2012 Give Kids the World / Walt Disney World

Disney Cruise on the Dream Ship December 22-26, 2013.
KaylaM is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #2766
MOPNB
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2

You can get the MAW shirts at Make a Wish's online store. Then I was thinking of having a friend add the word "Alumni" in rhinestones to my daughter's shirt.
MOPNB is offline  
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #2767
onceagain1
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaM View Post
I really wanted to take my daughter to see the Ice show (whichever one its called), but the theater/arena is 9 degrees and even though they give out parka jackets (you bring everything else to keep warm), there is no way my daughter would of enjoyed or stayed healthy in that kind of environment. I was so disappointed as she would of enjoyed seeing it if they had a "warm" area for kids like her. I would of enjoyed it too. However, it turns out, even if we wanted to, there was no time.
Oh that's a good point, hmmmm...more for me to consider, I'm not sure our kids would last long either....
__________________
Mom to 2 wonderful girls: Chatterbox, 6yrs (our wish child), and Busypants, 2yrs



Chatterbox's Pre-Trip Report

December 14 - December 22, 2012
onceagain1 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #2768
angel's momma
DIS Veteran
 
angel's momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelanaAndKyra View Post
Well we're home from the most amazing trip ever! Words will never describe how great it was and how tired we all are lol the week went by so fast! Now we're home and right back to our normal...Kyra has a really swollen throat so instead of school or her scheduled neurology appointment tomorrow we are off to the doctors to have her checked out as she had a fever too.

So glad she got her special wish. Sounds like a fantastic time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimom6 View Post
At sea world we had a special meet and greet with the dolphins and their trainers, that was Elsa's wish. Then, we sat front row in front of platform for shamu show. The gktw button gets you the spot. Although it is a major splash zone, we barely got wet and were able to be just feet away from the killer whales. AWESOME DAY. Meltdowns galore. And we are looking forward to our ritual of ice cream :-)
So glad she got her special wish. Sounds like a fantastic time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain1 View Post
Can't believe we leave in just 10 days!!
Now it's just a week



MOPNB
__________________
Me - Christi DH - Tom DD - Angel 15 (wish kid)

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
angel's momma is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #2769
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPNB View Post
So this is my first post. I'm a newbie here.

What does this mean "alumni status?" My kiddo's wish trip was in 2006. We are going back to Disney World next fall.

I'd like to go back to GKTW just for a look around. Anybody ever wear or make a Wish Alumni shirt or something like that to wear to the parks? Is that weird?

This is such a cool place!
To the DIS!

Anyone who has been on a Wish Trip are ALUMNI! For many, when they return from Disney there is a bit of a letdown feeling and it seems to be magnified after Wish Trips. I never experienced that feeling and I think it is due in part to

1) I am too busy
2) I try to stay active on the DIS so I can always feel that excitement of Disney Magic~ I am genuinely happy for others good fortune.
3) We have stayed connected to GKTW, even here in town volunteering to speak about GKTW at local Fundraisers.

We DID have a blessing that popped up in September to go to Kissimmee and took the opportunity to volunteer at GKTW...it was FABULOUS fun! We also went to a party and hung out at the Village having a blast. I felt like I was home.

The GKTW Store has these shirts for Alumni. If I was crafty, I would ABSOLUTELY make shirts!

This is the Alumni Site for those who haven't seen it.

I hope this info might help someone. We LOVE staying connected and being involved!
blessedmom4 is offline  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #2770
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 759

One of my twins is going in for surgery next Friday and her twin is upset about the fact that she doesn't get a surgery. (Trevor has had 6 and this is Kara's first). I'm not exactly sure how to handle it. Part of me wants to tell her that surgery is NO fun and not something you really want to have to do. But I really can't do that as Trevor will have more surgeries in the future and Kara will now too. Anyone gone through this with their kids? How did you handle it? It was never an issue when it was only Trevor having surgeries but now that her sister "gets" to have one too she wants in on the action!

Kara will be having a tumor like growth removed from her ear next Friday. We will stay in the hospital overnight. We are praying she does not have hearing loss but we know that it is a very real possibility. Most likely the growth has gone into her ear bones and she will need another surgery to reconstruct her ear so she can hear. But that will be sometime during the summer. Please keep my sweet baby girl in your prayers.

Trevor goes in the following week for his cardiologist appt. We are praying he does not need surgery this year and he can wait a couple more years before getting a pulmonary valve and conduit.

Thanks!
Jackie
__________________
PTR: Trevor's Star Wars Make A Wish Trip

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 9 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 6 Kara DD 6
Lilfoot93 is offline  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #2771
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfoot93 View Post
One of my twins is going in for surgery next Friday and her twin is upset about the fact that she doesn't get a surgery. (Trevor has had 6 and this is Kara's first). I'm not exactly sure how to handle it. Part of me wants to tell her that surgery is NO fun and not something you really want to have to do. But I really can't do that as Trevor will have more surgeries in the future and Kara will now too. Anyone gone through this with their kids? How did you handle it? It was never an issue when it was only Trevor having surgeries but now that her sister "gets" to have one too she wants in on the action!

Kara will be having a tumor like growth removed from her ear next Friday. We will stay in the hospital overnight. We are praying she does not have hearing loss but we know that it is a very real possibility. Most likely the growth has gone into her ear bones and she will need another surgery to reconstruct her ear so she can hear. But that will be sometime during the summer. Please keep my sweet baby girl in your prayers.

Trevor goes in the following week for his cardiologist appt. We are praying he does not need surgery this year and he can wait a couple more years before getting a pulmonary valve and conduit.

Thanks!
Jackie
No advice, other than make her feel EXTRA special while her twin is inpatient. Who will she be staying with? You can make a big deal of what she gets to do (privately to her of course) while her twin has surgery, a special goody bag, etc. And LOTS of prayers coming your way, it is hard to have more than one ill.
blessedmom4 is offline  
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #2772
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,465

It only took me 14 months; however, I have FINALLY posted the part of Lisa's Wish Trip where she BECAME FAMOUS at Disney!

The link to the page it is posted on is here in 7 posts because of all of the pics:
Lisa is FINALLY FAMOUS Post 3198 to 3204!
blessedmom4 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #2773
onceagain1
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 85

For those that have been at GKTW, do the girls tend to dress up in princess dresses when attending the Pirates & Princess tea party, or whatever it is called. I'm out and about right now so don't have the info in front of me. But toys r us has dresses on sale now so I would buy one if I thought it might be used for this event.
Thanks.
__________________
Mom to 2 wonderful girls: Chatterbox, 6yrs (our wish child), and Busypants, 2yrs



Chatterbox's Pre-Trip Report

December 14 - December 22, 2012
onceagain1 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #2774
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
No advice, other than make her feel EXTRA special while her twin is inpatient. Who will she be staying with? You can make a big deal of what she gets to do (privately to her of course) while her twin has surgery, a special goody bag, etc. And LOTS of prayers coming your way, it is hard to have more than one ill.
Thanks for the prayers! Allie and Trevor will be staying the night at a friends house since we will be leaving early in the morning to get to the hospital. I have been telling Allie how much fun she gets to have without her sister and of course she tells Kara all about it... and visa versa... 4 year olds Trevor is old enough to know to keep it to himself what he gets to do while Kara is at the hospital and shortly after for recovery so that is helpful!

With Kara's upcoming surgery I have forgotten to think about Trev's upcoming cardiology appt. which is great because I always worry when it gets close to his appts!


Jackie
__________________
PTR: Trevor's Star Wars Make A Wish Trip

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 9 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 6 Kara DD 6
Lilfoot93 is offline  
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #2775
kalimom6
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain1
For those that have been at GKTW, do the girls tend to dress up in princess dresses when attending the Pirates & Princess tea party, or whatever it is called. I'm out and about right now so don't have the info in front of me. But toys r us has dresses on sale now so I would buy one if I thought it might be used for this event.
Thanks.
We weren't there for that party but I seen a lot of kids dressed up at other parties.
__________________
Sarah, mom to M-10, L-8, G-7, Elsa-5(wish child), L-3, and J-17 months
Sea World/GKTW Dec. 1, 2012-Dec. 7, 2012
kalimom6 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: