Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #451
mistysue
DIS Veteran

That is a valid concern. I think most of the people doing what you mention are people in situations like my son. He has situations like a soy allergy, but can tolerate soy oil. Of course we list soy on his form, but then if something just has the oil he can have it. Giving him the van's waffle for no wheat is a disaster though. This happens with a lot of people and either oils or baked ingredients. (eggs are a big one for that) I know what you mean about how it gives the chefs the wrong impression. Half of our last trip was spent trying to get my son's body to calm down from our meal at Hollywood and vine. (who kept saying "that is ok, it's just a little bit of soy and dairy is really low in the ingredients." - which part of that is "ok" for somebody dairy and soy allergic?)

I totally get your point if people are directly ordering the allergen. Like if a peanut allergic person said "oh yea, PBJ just this one time is ok" because that is really more how you should treat an intolerance, but it's really hard to judge why people are making the choices they are. But if you are simultaneously telling people you are allergic and that a little is ok, you are creating a dangerous situation for others.
FYI- my son's worst allergy is one that his rast test gives a 0.6 result for... if only telling him the test result could stop the reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
You seemed to miss my point. If people are going to use the system they need to use it. Not treat it as optional when they get to the restaurants or more sever allergies won't be taken seriously. No testing is 100% but rast testing can help gauge how severe ones allergies are. I'm not here to question how severe someone elses allergies are. I'm saying plain and simple don't use the system if your going to turn around and say oh my allergy to that isn't so serious I can eat it after the fact that you filled out the forms. Because this causes misconceptions in those who are not as well versed in allergies and can lead to a dangerous incident for someone else.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #452
DCDisney
On my way...

It's hard because everyone is different and different Drs have different procedures. I'm allergic to nuts but am allowed to eat produced in the same factory with. I have multiple allergies and some chefs refuse me items I routinely eat that are produced in the same factory with an allergen. It really limits what I can eat and usually means no dessert. Other unusual things I'm MUCH more allergic too like legumes they can be totally cavalier about. It's all very complicated and I prefer when they have checklists and write things down. It seems like 30% of my meals they say something is OK and then double check and run out to tell me what I've haf eaten may not be safe . It's usually soy oil which I am allowed to have.... I do feel for people on special diets though too. I have friends who are vegan and they will get a serious ruining of a day of their trip sick to their stomach if they get a lot f dairy now especially. A trace OK unlike allergies but no need for people to eat things that make them feel bad even if it's not an allergy as long as they are forthright and respectful.
DCDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #453
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Sadly my list of allergy's is getting longer and longer and WDW is always amazing! I've only had trouble at Nine Dragons and 50's Prime Time (who were so amazingly rude to us!) I'm allergic to all tree nuts, peanuts, soy products, coconut, rosemary, basil, sesame, malt, skim milk, wheat, yeasr, oats, barley, corn, rice and the list goes on..........

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #454
AEPaul
Earning My Ears

Disney_Princess83, I'm sorry to hear that your list of allergens is expanding, but happy to hear that WDW can continue to accommodate you as they do so many. That said, it seems everyone has one or two experiences that aren't as "magical" as the others (most seem to be in the EPCOT "countries" which WDW doesn't run directly) and because of that AllergyEats has extended its peer-rated guide to allergy-friendly restaurants by adding a 2nd guide devoted to WDW, its hotels, and the surrounding Orlando area called AllergyEats Disney World.

We'd love to have your experiences added to our large and growing database to help future WDW travelers. Rating a restaurant takes just a minute - you only have to answer 3 multiple choice questions with an optional comment - but again it helps our entire food allergy and intolerance community. I hope you'll consider helping everyone in this way. The site can be found at www.allergyeats.com/disney. Thank you for your consideration.
AEPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #455
dj2
all my little ducks in a row...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorris49 View Post
They use a couple of different mixes at the restaurants. The first is Bob's Red Mill Pancake/Waffle mix and the other is Namaste mix. Some locations just use Bob's Red Mill and other's Namaste. Art of Animation's Landscape of Flavors uses a mix of both brands for their allergy friendly waffles.

I'm pretty sure that Chef Mickey's uses the Bob's Red Mill (at least that's what they were using the last time I went about a year ago).
thank you. i tried the namaste mix this morning and it was good. i did find some substitution options for the egg, but i decided first to see if it would work ok with just omitting them.

i cut the quantities in fourth just to try (it's expensive stuff to have to throw out...). i used 1/2 cup mix, 1/4 cup water (which is a little more than they say because of no egg) and 1/2 Tablespoon oil and it pretty perfectly fit in one batch in a two-waffle rival waffle iron.

quite a treat this morning!

thanks again snorris49 for the info!!!

dj
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #456
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorris49 View Post
That's my assumption too. I've only heard the chefs talk about Ener-G brand not the Bob's Red Mill (but really weird that Bob's Red Mill is so big in the GF industry but they don't have GF egg replace? What's up with that?!)
For the same reason why they claim to be "allergy friendly" yet make their gluten free flours on the same line as their nut flours. They don't seem to quite "get it" yet IMO. The worst part is, they have basically like taken over many of the GF sections in many stores near me and all of their stuff is off limits.

It makes things very very difficult and not going to lie....just occasionally pisses me off.

And I just want to say that today was our first day at Disney and I went to the food court at 6:30 and got a POP waffle made from JUST Namaste mix. They carry both and usually do a blend but if you are unable to eat bobs red mill, they will make one with just Namaste mix!

Also got allergy chicken tenders tonight...OMG so good!!!!

I will be reporting when I get back but a few quick things...

POP century carrys:
Rocky Mountain popcorn( gluten and nut free)
OMG cookies and brownies (gluten free)
Surf sweets (gluten free, nut free, vegan)
Rice chips (gluten free)

At Crystal palace today I ate sooooo well. The chef brought me three plates from the kitchen with 10 different safe foods that are on the buffet! The chef who was there this afternoon also bakes his own allergy safe brownies. They were gluten free, egg free, dairy free and nut free. Don't remember if they were soy free or not. But sooooo amazing!

At the plaza my meal was good too. They carry GNI buns (gluten free, egg free, dairy free, soy free, corn free), and enjoy life cookies. I got a cheesesteak (no bun....didn't want to try the GNI bun....have never had it before) with grapes. I was told the fries are not made separately and are fried in the same fryer as the chicken nuggets (huge concern of egg cross contamination for me)

Just thought I'd give you a quick update. So far so good. 4 more days!! I'll be doing a full review with pictures later on.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #457
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

We just spent 9 days in Disney and were happy with everywhere except Crystal Palace. They had been good in the past, but not this time.

Especially happy with Sci Fi!
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #458
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1700 View Post
We just spent 9 days in Disney and were happy with everywhere except Crystal Palace. They had been good in the past, but not this time.

Especially happy with Sci Fi!
That's so weird because we are here now and crystal palace was wonderful yesterday. We are going back in 3 days again.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #459
Erin1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
That's so weird because we are here now and crystal palace was wonderful yesterday. We are going back in 3 days again.
Let me know if you get a different Chef and it still is wonderful.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #460
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1700 View Post
Let me know if you get a different Chef and it still is wonderful.
Did you go for lunch or dinner? We went for lunch and are going back for lunch again. I don't remember who our chef was but we are taking a chance. We've had good luck there everytime we have gone over the past 5 years since I was diagnosed.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #461
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At Crystal palace today I ate sooooo well. The chef brought me three plates from the kitchen with 10 different safe foods that are on the buffet! The chef who was there this afternoon also bakes his own allergy safe brownies. They were gluten free, egg free, dairy free and nut free. Don't remember if they were soy free or not. But sooooo amazing!
Those are the only brownies my son has ever had, and yes they at least can be soy free.
Erin- that's sad that your Crystal Palace experience was bad, it was a really great meal for my son this trip. (basically top 8, sesame and buckwheat free)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #462
Erin1700

Quote:
Did you go for lunch or dinner? We went for lunch and are going back for lunch again. I don't remember who our chef was but we are taking a chance. We've had good luck there everytime we have gone over the past 5 years since I was diagnosed.
We went for lunch this year (dinner last year was fine). I think the guy was Alfonso??? I could be wrong. We will certainly go back, I think maybe he was just having a bad day. He made me feel like we were bothering him. It was the first lunch seating, so it wasn't like it was the end and he was tired of going through the whole thing. "There are nuts in a salad on that side of the buffet, don't go over there."
My son could eat the ice cream, I don't believe they offered him anything else.

Like I said, we have been there before and will certainly go back so it didn't ruin it for us.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #463
Erin1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
Those are the only brownies my son has ever had, and yes they at least can be soy free.
Erin- that's sad that your Crystal Palace experience was bad, it was a really great meal for my son this trip. (basically top 8, sesame and buckwheat free)
Thank you so much for caring. I am glad you liked it! We will go back, 1 bad meal out of 9 is not too bad.
Where else do you like to take your son?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #464
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

You are a Great Resource!

We'll be travelling with a gluten-intolerant individual next trip and I have plenty of time to plan, so is there a particular site that lists all the CS and TS where gluten free is available? or do I just ask at time of ADRs? Our choices will include: Ohana's, Plaza, Terrace Dessert Party, Tony's, the Brown Derby, St. Angel Inn, Rose & Crown, Yak & Yeti, FlameTree BBQ, Whispering
Canyon, and ASMo food court. Thanks for all the help; we've never had to do something like this before and I want her to enjoy the spectacular dining as much as we do
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #465
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Thanks Just saw this so I'll check it out and add what I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPaul View Post
Disney_Princess83, I'm sorry to hear that your list of allergens is expanding, but happy to hear that WDW can continue to accommodate you as they do so many. That said, it seems everyone has one or two experiences that aren't as "magical" as the others (most seem to be in the EPCOT "countries" which WDW doesn't run directly) and because of that AllergyEats has extended its peer-rated guide to allergy-friendly restaurants by adding a 2nd guide devoted to WDW, its hotels, and the surrounding Orlando area called AllergyEats Disney World.

We'd love to have your experiences added to our large and growing database to help future WDW travelers. Rating a restaurant takes just a minute - you only have to answer 3 multiple choice questions with an optional comment - but again it helps our entire food allergy and intolerance community. I hope you'll consider helping everyone in this way. The site can be found at www.allergyeats.com/disney. Thank you for your consideration.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: