Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedxPanda View Post
That is my theory as well, but in reverse. I think it's to boost DCL profits more so. Attendance at WDW is astronomical vs Universal and Sea World. Not sure about the hotels end of things, but the parks for sure are always top runners. Especially with Fantasyland opening. Tons of people will be rushing to see the new stuff....so they will probably push the Magic hard to new customers as its rates will be lower than Dream.

We sailed Magic during the short period both Magic and Dream were sailing PC this year. They both sold well and I don't think as many discounts had to be offered. Magic was priced very reasonably and that's how I got DH to cave on DCL pricing! Now we know the DCL touch and will sail again when it fits our price point. Exactly what they're trying to do with millions more first time DCL cruisers.
WDW's attendance is good but it's my understanding their hotel occupancy is not where they want it especially during the "off" times (I realize those really don't exist anymore..LOL). Also, the attendance growth at the WDW parks is being outpaced by the competition. It's not the final numbers that are bigger, it's the draw of more people vs. the same time last year. So if you look at percentages of attendance growth the competition (I think that's how I read that) has been seeing a larger number than the WDW parks. Yes, people will be going to see the new offerings at Disney but then there's a lot going on at the other parks, too, that I'm hearing a lot about both now and continuing on for quite some time. I guess I'm thinking maybe pulling all the ships to Florida is a positioning of the chess pieces within the much larger gameboard than just the cruise line realm.

If nothing else having all 4 ships in Florida might produce more FL resident discounts which I wouldn't mind.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Like I said in the other thread...blech
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #33
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
It would have to be a much smaller Aquaduck.
Make way for Aquaduckling?

ETA:
I think it's also a way to preserve pricing for the Fantasy during the slower winter-spring season. After all, it will be the only ship doing 7-night cruises during that time. It will be the only option for those looking for a "longer" cruise. I can certainly see how they can squeeze more booking revenue (assuming capacity levels remain the same) by splitting up a 7-night cruise into its two parts. If people are looking for more affordable DCL options, well then offer them a shorter cruise. What I don't understand is why bother flip-flopping the Magic and Wonder between Galveston and Miami yet again after they're already swapping them in Fall 2013?

At any rate, I'm very grateful for DCL offering absolutely nothing that interests me for January 2014. It makes it all the easier to keep my plans of testing out the Celebrity waters with the Australia/New Zealand cruise on the Solstice without DCL loyalty temptation getting in the way.

Last edited by ImprovGal; 12-04-2012 at 10:42 PM.
ImprovGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: