Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I think it all boils down to who you bank with. We have our primary household accounts with a local bank and our travel/spending account with Bank of America (for better access on the road). We haven't had any fraud issues on either debit card (knock wood) but we have had BoA flag a transaction as suspicious on two separate occasions and I was impressed with how proactive they were about contacting us about it.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

I refuse to have a debit card attached to my bank accounts (even though I wouldnt use it) just because I don't want the risk.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
I refuse to have a debit card attached to my bank accounts (even though I wouldnt use it) just because I don't want the risk.
Same here. With debit you have to wait to get the fraudulently taken money back. Doesn't happen like that with a credit card.
Swimalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

DH's debit card number was stolen last month. We bank at small local branch and it took about 5 business days to get the money back from Visa. It has happened a lot I our area lately. People's numbers, not cards, have been stolen.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I caught a few weird charges on DH's debit card the day after they happened. There were a few to a software company and a large one to a travel agency that specialized in travel to the Middle East.

The software company immediately reversed the charges but the travel agency took a long time. The bank placed the money back in DH's account contingent on the situation being resolved. That took about a month and I always wonder what would have happened if the situation wasn't resolved with the travel agency. I guess that we would have taken the hit and DH would have another bank.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

This morning I was checking my account online and saw three transactions in British Columbia. Two were at a gas station and one at a state run liquor store. Called my bank right away and the fraud department immediately shut down my car and is working to refund my money. Since it's a weekend I should have it back next week.

Looks like someone cloned my number and made a card since all three transactions were swiped and my actual card has never ever left my possession.

And no this will not deter me from having or using a debit card.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #22
niffer5150
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
they also said that if you are going to travel to call them.
this should be bolded. my husband went to south Africa on business and forgot to tell he bank. his card was shut off as soon as he tried to buy a snack. he couldn't rent a phone, he couldn't get a cab to the hotel, he couldn't call to tell bofa his card wasn't stolen. I got sent a desperate email from a starving, near penniless husband because thankfully, he was somewhere with wifi. small thing to forget, big consequences.
niffer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #23
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

This is exactly why I won't have a debit card.

If I see a bogus charge on my credit card, I call the CC company and dispute the charge. They put an inquiry on it and I'm under no obligation to even pay that amount with my next statement.

With a debit card, that money is out of your account and your bank and decide when they'll get it back in there.

My local credit union ONLY offers an ATM card that doubles as a debit card. No option for just a straight up ATM card without a Visa logo. So, nope, don't use them for cash transactions.

By the way, anyone looking for a bank that does offer just an ATM card with no debit associated with it, Wells Fargo has them.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #24
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

That has not been my experience at all. My card was stolen a couple years ago, and Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) had the money back in my account before I was off the phone with the fraud person. More recently, a pizza place computed our $4 tip as a $40 tip, and Wells Fargo gave us an immediate provisional credit that turned into a permanent one in a few weeks.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #25
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffer5150 View Post
someone stole my debit card online and charged up everything plus some in my account. my credit union refused to give me even provisional credit back until i could proved i filed a police report. the police were un happy with me because they don't have time for crimes that didn't take place in their area. it took 2 weeks to get my money back and that was only because i called visa and they were not happy and a rep told me that anything with their logo on it has to return stolen funds with in 3 days because that's the contract they make with the entity giving out the card. i had to fight to get the over draft charges returned as well. if i hadn't called visa, i don't know how long it would have been before i got my money back. the credit union branch manager was "confused and sad to see me go" when i closed my account >
Did you tell him point blank that he did not credit your account back within two business days, and then ask questions?

Overdraft charges and other checks bouncing are yet other reasons to never* use debit cards at all and to have and use credit cards instead. By the way, anyone who does not have the discipline to avoid finance charges on credit cards is very likely to run into overdraft charges while using a debit card even in the absence of fraud.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

*Well, hardly ever! (With apologies to W.S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

OP I hope you get your oney back soon!

I have been very pleased with how chase (even though i still feel they stole Washington Mutual) has dealt with fraud on our debits...they have caught it each time, and have been the ones to call us. The charges were blocked, no need to put money back in. One wasn't even fraud, but a charge that shouldn't have happened by DH's company while in training, and they caught it. One time it was us, but it was a hinky thing...got authorized to pump gas, realized that we had parked wrong and hose wouldn't reach, took too long to turn around, authorization had gone stale, swiped it again, denied. Used a different payment method, got it worked out, it was fine. I've been very pleased.

Nowadays we have and use CCs, but back then we didn't have a choice.

Oh, and chase and our CU have never needed us to call about travel. DH travels all over, including South Africa, and they haven't caused a single problem. It's very nice.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
I really thought in a fraud case they would operate just about the same. It has happened on credit cards and I call. They issue a new card and the money is credited back immediately.

Last week I saw a series of 3 foreign transactions for travel companies. I called the bank as soon as they opened. Sounded good except for the 3 to 5 day hold on my money. Ok. 3-5. That came and went and no provisional credit. Now they give me a day, 11 days out that I will be credited my money on a provisional basis.

This experience very much makes me want to use my credit card and pay my usually things off immediately via online banking that day.
We refuse debit cards. For this very reason. Not only would it hold your funds, but think of all the stuff that is automatically paid from your account monthly. If you don't know about the fraud right away, and your legit creditors like life insurance, cable, mortgage, etc all get bounced, like you're some kind of dead beat. No thanks
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #28
ScottOKW2K
Wishing I was working for a REAL Mickey Mouse operation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchelbay View Post
We refuse debit cards. For this very reason. Not only would it hold your funds, but think of all the stuff that is automatically paid from your account monthly. If you don't know about the fraud right away, and your legit creditors like life insurance, cable, mortgage, etc all get bounced, like you're some kind of dead beat. No thanks
I agree, and when those creditors get their payments bounced you will be charged fees by those same creditors. Your back/CC provider is not responsible for those charges, which is an important point that many who espouse the usage if debit cards do not bring out in their conversations. It is always stated that debit cards with the Visa logo have the same protections as credit cards, but this is only for the fraudulent charges themselves ! Any fees or charges as a result of fraudulent activity on a debit card, or how quickly any fraudulent activity is resolved is up to the BANK that issued the debit card. As the OP has found out this can take a while.
ScottOKW2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
sookie
DIS Veteran

it would take a lot to pry my debit card from cold, stiff fingers - I'd have to be near dead.... lol
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: