Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #46
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I might ask the owner (not the renter) about having a service come in to spruce things up once spring comes along, if you can get in touch with her.

The only time I might really think about asking would be if I were trying to sell my house next door. I think the state of the neighboring lawn would make selling my house harder.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #47
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGeer View Post
I just want to jump in and say that my yard can get a bit neglected, not hoardersville or anything but weeds and random toys, but I do my best. I work full time, I'm a full time wife and mother, and go to grad school. My husband works about 60 hours a week and spends most of his time after work helping care for our DD so I can do homework. I know that there are people who are superhuman and can keep their homes perfect inside and out while still working, but we are not them. Again, we do our best. I remember my single mom worked a lot and our yard could get a bit neglected, but instead of complaining our wonderful retired neighbors pitched in to help her. Instead of complaining about it, have you asked them if they would like some help with their yard? If you approached it in a nice way such as, "I know your busy and I would like to lend you a hand with this," you might be surprised by the results. I know if someone offered to help us on an overwhelming day, I would be brought to tears by their kindness. Don't always assume these things happen out of lazyness, they just may be overwhelmed. Just a thought, I might be wrong, they could just plain be lazy, but try not to judge too harshly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
That is not a very good excuse. I work 50 hours/week. My wife works full time and is taking her Masters. She is a teacher, so she has extra work in the evenings too. It doesn't take very long to mow the lawn. I spend about an hour every week mowing the front and back. I still have lots of time left over to care for my two young sons while the wife does her work and homework. We are far from superhuman. Instead of sitting on the couch watching TV for hours a night, I can look after my kids and do whatever work needs to be done around the house. I guess it depends in people's priorities in life. I guessing these neighbors the OP was mentioning are not too busy to do the work, probably just too lazy.
Yeah, how dare you take care of your family and do your homework! Don't you know your priority should be making sure your lawn meets your neighbors perfect standards? Sheesh.

/sarcasm

Sometimes, people do still amaze me.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #48
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
It's really pretty simple. If you need to control how your neighbors deal with yardwork, you should move somewhere with a control-freak HOA.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #49
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76

Wow! Glad I don't live near you.
Our city receives over 80,000 bylaw complaints each year for a population of a little over a million. So I'm not the only one who takes pride in their community. As one poster said, if you can't mow your grass, then buy a condo. I totally agree with this. If you want to own/rent a house, then you should take on the responsibility of looking after the house, inside and out. I for one would not live in a city that does not offer bylaw protection to go after all the lazy homeowners that can't do the bare minimum to keep their properties esthetically appealing.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #50
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
As one poster said, if you can't mow your grass, then buy a condo. I totally agree with this. If you want to own/rent a house, then you should take on the responsibility of looking after the house, inside and out. I for one would not live in a city that does not offer bylaw protection to go after all the lazy homeowners that can't do the bare minimum to keep their properties esthetically appealing.
It's like those people who simply MUST have a dog, and then basically tie it to a tree and leave it alone 24 hours a day. Why did you bother? Is it some kind of torture/neglect fantasy you get off on?
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #51
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Our city receives over 80,000 bylaw complaints each year for a population of a little over a million. So I'm not the only one who takes pride in their community. As one poster said, if you can't mow your grass, then buy a condo. I totally agree with this. If you want to own/rent a house, then you should take on the responsibility of looking after the house, inside and out. I for one would not live in a city that does not offer bylaw protection to go after all the lazy homeowners that can't do the bare minimum to keep their properties esthetically appealing.
There's a fine line between "taking pride in community" and "being a busybody".

Personally, I don't think the city should be taking care of this kind of stuff. If you want that kind of control, move to an HOA neighborhood.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #52
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post

Personally, I don't think the city should be taking care of this kind of stuff. If you want that kind of control, move to an HOA neighborhood.
All this over a couple of rotted pumpkins.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #53
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
It's really pretty simple. If you need to control how your neighbors deal with yardwork, you should move somewhere with a control-freak HOA.
HOA's don't necessarily help. I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and there's always a couple houses that don't take care of their property. I know people have complained in the past to the HOA, but there's not much they can do to the homeowners in reality.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #54
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
Watch out or the OP will come back and tell us about the 12 abandoned cars and 10 used toilets in the yard that she forgot to mention in the first post.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #55
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon

I'm not a busy body, but if my neighbors have weeds that are 3 ft tall and causing issues in my yard, then I will say something. If a neighbor has garbage and junk in their yard, that I can see, then I'll report them. I do give them time to clean it up. I'll wait a few months before I report them. With all of this being said, I would say the majority of our neighbors care about their houses and yard.

I'm glad our city has bylaws for this and I do think it is the responsibility of the city to ensure all the communities in the city limits abide by the same set of rules.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #56
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

I'd love to see the response here if the neighbor had life-sized statuary of a couple (or more...) having sex. I'm sure there'd be a hoopla and public outcry.

That's how distracting and ugly an unkempt, trashy property is to me.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #57
foreUT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
I'd love to see the response here if the neighbor had life-sized statuary of a couple (or more...) having sex. I'm sure there'd be a hoopla and public outcry.

That's how distracting and ugly an unkempt, trashy property is to me.
I must have no imagination because I could never look at rotting pumpkins and envision the Kama Sutra.
foreUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #58
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Watch out or the OP will come back and tell us about the 12 abandoned cars and 10 used toilets in the yard that she forgot to mention in the first post.
Nope.....just the rotten pumpkins!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #59
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreUT View Post
I must have no imagination because I could never look at rotting pumpkins and envision the Kama Sutra.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #60
gator75
DIS Veteran

I could have written this post but didn't. We have the worst neighbors. Going out my front door makes my skin crawl and also makes my blood boil. They have lived next to us for a year and their yard makes it look like i'm living next to sanford and son. They have wood pallets piled 5 feet high on the property line , old cars and trucks lawn equipment and everything else under the moon. I haven't said anything but i sure want to i just complain alot to my husband. We and all our other neighbors keep a spotless yard so i don't know why they can't put some effort into keeping up apperances. They sure have enough time to party so they should have time to clean heir yard up.
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: