Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #91
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
edited to add VS didn't post the OPs full name, address, number of kids, phone number, email address or credit card information. I don't think VS posted any personal information.
Agreed. They posted enough for the OP to verify they're talking about the same transaction (a common first name), but nothing that would give anyone else access to the OPs personal information. Their response is actually very similar to the ones you'll see on Trip Advisor -- details only of that transaction, with no personal information.

I also didn't think they were blaming the OP. Their stated purpose -- and, I think, their actual purpose -- was to let people know "what steps you need to take in booking a vacation with us." I would guess they also want to remind people that "availability is always changing" -- in other words, if someone wants the reservation they rejected yesterday, VS may not be able to get it. The fact that it was available yesterday -- or ten minutes ago -- has nothing to do with it. Motels or hotels in that situation can sometimes work around the system and finangle a reservation somehow; TS brokers really can't.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #92
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Here are the reasons I do not think this is VS - and am truly hoping it is not (besides the fact that this well-used company would have a new user name on the dis with only two posts, one of which was deleted? - and what did they write that needed to be deleted?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationStrategyllc View Post
First I just want to say thank you to those that have responded to this thread in our favor, we appreciate the honesty, testimonials and business.
Appears to be immediately putting the person they may have treated badly in the hot seat instead of apologizing to her for something that she thinks they did wrong. A good business will first say something like "We're very sorry that you feel you were wronged" and THEN work into the problem - I worked in customer service in a high complaint company where people came right to your face to complain, and the VERY FIRST THING YOU DO IS APOLOGIZE. Even if they're dead wrong. Here, they just take the stance that they're right - no apology for a misunderstanding or explanation as to why they hung up on her or haven't called her back.

Quote:
I am sure many of you are trying to figure out what transpired here and what steps you need to take in booking a vacation with us.
No one here asked how to book a vacation with VS - did they? I see people saying they booked... but no one asking how. And no instruction is given later as to how to book, either.

Quote:
Amy was looking for accommodations at Bonnet Creek in Orlando, Fl. We sent her availability along with a 4 quotes as she changed her check in date 2 times and villa size 1 time. Finally she paid her 150 dollar deposit at 6:25 pm on Wednesday, 25 minutes after our standard business hours. At this point, next morning the unit was no longer available.
Why not? Wasn't it quoted? So what if she changed her check in date and villa size; she still would have gotten a quote, yes? VS still sent a quote; and "should have" been holding the reservation, as per my understanding of their policy. Also, this poster still appears to be pointing the finger here - NOT good customer service at all. Even if they're right.

Quote:
We called her multiple times on Thursday and informed her the unit was not available and that we would refund the deposit immediately, which we did. This is our standard procedure as availability is always changing.
Again, this just doesn't seem like VS. And it appears she paid more than the deposit, so where is this addressed? If I were writing here from VS, I'd be giving my name and title so she knew who to call to make it right - I'd wager this poster is simply a "Friend of VS" and wants to make OP look bad. Yes, it's the internet, people do that - I could make up a user name right now and say I'm the president, but am I?

And, more finger pointing "We tried to call her!!!!!!!1!!!"

So here's what I'd say - if it IS VS, post your name and title and a time that you will call Amy. Amy can then confirm here, and everything can be easily taken care of from then on and there's no more issue for Amy, and no more debate on what happened or whether or not VS is actually addressing it. That would be great customer service from VS and help Amy understand where all her money went, as well as calm the fears of many who are now worried about their own reservations.

ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #93
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

ZehnJahren-

VS post is worded the same way a business typically responds on a site like Trip Adviser.

The OP accused VS as running a scam and (falsely) claimed the BBB has lot of complaints.

This is the kind of situation in which an explanation intended for other customers, and potential customers, and not an apology is appropriate.

There probably isn't any purpose in a phone call. I suspect the OP, with this thread, has burned any remaining bridges.

A business has to know there are a (hopefully small) number of potential customers it won't be able service.

Based on the large number of satisfied customers posting favorable experiences VS isn't running a "scam". Maybe they made a mistake in leading the OP to think a courtesy hold was in place. Based on her wording (a scam) and her BBB reference I won't give her the benefit of the doubt.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #94
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I worked in customer service in a high complaint company where people came right to your face to complain, and the VERY FIRST THING YOU DO IS APOLOGIZE. Even if they're dead wrong. Here, they just take the stance that they're right - no apology for a misunderstanding or explanation as to why they hung up on her or haven't called her back.
The difference here, I think, is that this is not someone complaining to the company -- this is someone who posted, to the Internet, that "Vacation Strategy is a scam; stay away." That is a totally different situation. For all we know, VS has already apologized to the OP, and feels the time for apology is over; now is the time for defense, because they have been unjustly accused, not to their face, but behind their back, if you will. Even on Trip Advisor, where the company has the official right of rebuttal and negative reviews are "in their face", company representatives do not always apologize first thing, and sometimes they don't apologize at all.

This thread has more than 5000 views; I have no doubt a fair percentage of those are people wondering what's the deal with Vacation Strategies.

From what Amy said, I think it's pretty clear that she didn't really understand how renting from a TS broker is different from getting a hotel or motel room, and apparently the explanation VS gave her on the phone once things went south didn't help much. While she admitted she was confused, she also posted to the Internet that it's a scam organization, and, when others disagreed, tried tie VS into a scam in Cancun. I am sure Amy has many good qualities and that we are not seeing her at her best, but I think it safe to say this is not a relationship VS wants to pursue.

I hope Amy finds somewhere else to stay, and that she can look into how TS brokers work when she isn't facing such a time crunch, because, while they are very different from motels and hotels, TS rentals offer some terrific deals.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #95
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

What an interesting thread
I personally feel very bad for the OP. I think she clearly believes she had a room held when she deposited. It can be overwhelming to plan for any Disney vacation, never mind a first trip and one that is not directly booked thru Disney. I truly hope she will be able to make her trip and that it is MAGICAL!
Any company that responds to criticism or even a compliment (such as on Tripadvisor) should include the persons name and title at the company IMHO, that seems to validate the response for many. I am wondering how they even knew that this thread existed (tho the DIS is a popular place for many, it really is just one of a myriad of Disney related forums. )
And why does the responder have a "2" ....one would think that if they were aware of this thread, they likely had responded to others??
Regardless, its a bad situation all around.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #96
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
ZehnJahren-

VS post is worded the same way a business typically responds on a site like Trip Adviser.

The OP accused VS as running a scam and (falsely) claimed the BBB has lot of complaints.

This is the kind of situation in which an explanation intended for other customers, and potential customers, and not an apology is appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
The difference here, I think, is that this is not someone complaining to the company -- this is someone who posted, to the Internet, that "Vacation Strategy is a scam; stay away." That is a totally different situation. For all we know, VS has already apologized to the OP, and feels the time for apology is over; now is the time for defense, because they have been unjustly accused, not to their face, but behind their back, if you will.
I hear you both, and understand. However, I stand by my opinion (as I'm sure you'd stand by yours) as it relates just to the random post from someone claiming to be from VS: I have seen other people bring reviews like this about other companies on this forum and had the companies respond out of the blue. I remember in particular an issue with UT last year or the year before; the very first thing that was said is "we're sorry this is happening; we guarantee we're working to fix it." Others were the same. OP was not being nice on those threads, either; if you're posting on behalf of the company, this is an opportunity to show your good side, not your finger-pointing side.

This is the main reason I start to think that this is NOT VS. Also, those other companies replying to threads already had established posters on this board; this poster had only two posts, one of which they deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans View Post
Any company that responds to criticism or even a compliment (such as on Tripadvisor) should include the persons name and title at the company IMHO, that seems to validate the response for many. I am wondering how they even knew that this thread existed (tho the DIS is a popular place for many, it really is just one of a myriad of Disney related forums. )
And why does the responder have a "2" ....one would think that if they were aware of this thread, they likely had responded to others??
Regardless, its a bad situation all around.
Agreed all the way.

I feel bad for OP. I can understand ranting and wanting others to be aware of what happened to you; I also can understand the many positive responses about VS. I just hope OP can figure something else out; sadly, it might not be exactly what was originally wanted but it can still be a great, great vacation!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #97
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc

I've never booked through VS. The OP said she contacted BBB and was told there are many complaints about VS. BBB rates the company A- and shows ZERO COMPLAINTS in the last 3 years. That's why I question the accuracy of the OP. I'll defend VS since the OP is the first negative comment I've read about VS and the OPs BBB comments are fallacious.

I don't even know if VS hung up on her.
Not to be a troll here but I figured I would add this...I too have contacted the BBB about a legitimate complaint before and after it was all said and done, nothing ever showed up on the BBB site about the company. So I am not 100% sure how that process works but at any rate I don't think I would believe in an agency such as the BBB so much so that I felt the need to call other people liars??? What does she have to gain? Sounds like in some way or fashion she was taken for her $ and in every case, well that just sucks....mad, upset, confused and hurt, but I don't believe she is just lying about the whole thing. Most of these "scam" situations don't make much sense so that explains the difficulty she is having trying to explain something she doesn't even fully understand. Either way I hope it all works out for you and your family!!
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #98
faindrops27
I love free DDP but love going on cruises too! My favorite cruiseline is RCCL. But will be sailing NCL for the first time Breakaway 13'

I feel so bad for the OP. I do not know what is going on here, but to think your first trip to Disney and having to go through all of this. Hope things do get straightened out.

faindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #99
DisLis
Mouseketeer

At BCR this week and loving it. Great experience with vacation strategy. As a die-hard Disney resort fan I am surprised to say I doubt I'll stay anywhere other than BCR in future!
DisLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #100
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

We booked through VS for our October 2012 trip. Everything went smoothly and we had no problems at all. I would definately book with them again. Sorry, OP, that you are having issues. I am having a hard time understanding your whole situation, though. I think all the facts are not laid out on the table. If you are only out $150 deposit (which Im sure you can get back by going through your credit card company) then find another place to stay and make your kids dreams still come true. There are literally TONS of places all around to stay. Why give up Party tickets, change airfare, etc just over $150
If you have paid out the whole amount for the room, then I think you have been scammed by another person.
What is the name of the person you talked to at VS that you say is hanging up on you? Everytime I called them they were beyond friendly and helpful.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #101
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilly79 View Post
I too have contacted the BBB about a legitimate complaint before and after it was all said and done, nothing ever showed up on the BBB site about the company.
If I remember rightly, what the OP said was that she had talked to someone at the BBB, and they said there had been other complaints. It's entirely possible that there have been complaints about VS that were reviewed and BBB decided that VS hadn't done anything wrong. The record of those may have been visible to the person Amy talked to, even though they don't show on the website.

I think a big part of the problem is that the OP doesn't really understand how VS works. She says things like VS didn't pay Wyndham and that Wyndham told her that VS are just some strangers on the Internet; she wouldn't be saying that if she really understood how TS brokers work. I expect VS does get reported to the BBB pretty often, but their "crime" is like the many timeshares slammed on TripAdvisor for not having daily maid service -- the customer was expecting things to work as they do in a motel, and that's not what the company they're complaining about does.

Plus, VS is not just a Timeshare, but a TS broker -- meaning there is a sense where they compete with Wyndham for customers, so it's not surprising some random person at Wyndham was not gung ho about them. VS doesn't pay Wyndham; they use Wyndham owner points, so there is no money exchanged between VS and Wyndham. They hold Wyndham accountable, and their owners have agreements and contracts with Wyndham, but there's no reason to think the two companies are buddies. Calling Wyndham for a problem with VS is not a sensible move if someone knows how things work.

I am guessing that the complaints BBB gets on VS are all of this kind -- a customer who doesn't understand what they were purchasing. Since VS is not doing anything wrong, the complaint is not substantiated, and they maintain their good rating. A good rating with BBB does not mean there are no complaints -- it means there are no complaints that have been substantiated. Complaining that VS is not a hotel and doesn't work like one should not have any impact on VS's rating, because VS is not a hotel!

As with so many things Disney, a big part of the problem was wrong expectations. Although, for a change, this time it wasn't Disney creating the false impression! It may also be that VS blew it or some automatic generation of a hold promised on a reservation that wasn't made, it may be that the OP believed the promise of one reservation was still guaranteed after they made a change, I dunno, but whatever started it, the OP expecting VS to function as a hotel does made the problem a lot bigger than it might have been otherwise.

I don't think there's any evidence Amy was lying when she said she called the BBB and they said there had been complaints. She was clearly upset, but I think she told the story as she saw it. I also don't know for a fact that anyone with VS posted "their" side of the story -- however, just going on Amy's posts, it's clear she didn't understand what she was buying. One of the reasons you can get such deals with TS rentals is that the customer carries some of the load -- if you get the details wrong or change your mind later, no one is going to rescue you. Considering the difference between a hold and a reservation is one of the details you have to watch for.

I join those hoping things work out and that the OP and her family have a great vacation!

Last edited by shalom; 12-04-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #102
manhattanman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilly79 View Post
Not to be a troll here but I figured I would add this...I too have contacted the BBB about a legitimate complaint before and after it was all said and done, nothing ever showed up on the BBB site about the company. So I am not 100% sure how that process works but at any rate I don't think I would believe in an agency such as the BBB so much so that I felt the need to call other people liars??? What does she have to gain? Sounds like in some way or fashion she was taken for her $ and in every case, well that just sucks....mad, upset, confused and hurt, but I don't believe she is just lying about the whole thing. Most of these "scam" situations don't make much sense so that explains the difficulty she is having trying to explain something she doesn't even fully understand. Either way I hope it all works out for you and your family!!
This was exactly my sentiment. I dont see why people feel the need to come to the defense of companies they had good dealing with especially when all the facts are not at hand. I still dont know exactly what happened and in many of the early posts where I dont think anyone had a good idea of what transpired, the implication that she was being dishonest was in my opinion uncalled for.
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #103
Canajan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanman View Post
I dont see why people feel the need to come to the defense of companies they had good dealing with especially when all the facts are not at hand. I still dont know exactly what happened and in many of the early posts where I dont think anyone had a good idea of what transpired, the implication that she was being dishonest was in my opinion uncalled for.
I have to agree with manhattanman. This thread has been confusing with lots of quick and unduly harsh judgments flying.

OP, I hope your family has a lovely holiday.
Canajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #104
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This was exactly my sentiment. I dont see why people feel the need to come to the defense of companies they had good dealing with especially when all the facts are not at hand. I still dont know exactly what happened and in many of the early posts where I dont think anyone had a good idea of what transpired, the implication that she was being dishonest was in my opinion uncalled for.
I'm sure the company in question might that feel that being publicly accused of committing fraud, false advertising (and possibly theft, still can't quite figure it out) was uncalled for. If the OP had come on and said "I had a bad customer service experience, let's discuss" I don't think anyone would have gotten their backs up.

People are cynical, it seems everyone has an agenda these days. It's hard to know who to believe.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #105
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaseblossom View Post
I'm sure the company in question might that feel that being publicly accused of committing fraud, false advertising (and possibly theft, still can't quite figure it out) was uncalled for.

Quote:
I dont see why people feel the need to come to the defense of companies they had good dealing with especially when all the facts are not at hand.
Equally important is not automatically assuming guilt of a company who hasn't been proved to have done anything wrong. The "facts" offered up by the OP have been unclear enough to make it difficult to figure out what exactly occured, let alone who was to blame. A business should not be publicly labelled "a scam" if the root cause of the issue has not been determined.

And for what its worth, I have never used VS.

A convoluted story such as the one given by the OP, however, would not deter me from trying them if the occasion ever presented itself.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote