Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #46
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

So happy I found your TR! We are going on the Fantasy in May with DSS 5 and 9. I'm really enjoying reading about your adventures, your tips and your daughter is gorgeous. I'm home after surgery and a short hospital stay and I think reading your updates will be a great way to spend my "couch rest".
MomToPrincePhillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #47
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

IMG_0793 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So tonight was our Formal Night. And one thing I was looking forward to was taking pictures with the characters, before dinner. To see Mickey and Minnie dressed to the nines is pretty cool. Unfortunately, they weren’t wearing anything that was special to this particular night. On the Magic, Mickey had on a nice tux, and Minnie was in a snazzy little dress. But here on the Fantasy, it was Sailor Mickey (the version we saw quite often), and Minnie in a really nice dress that we had seen her in on other nights as well.

IMG_0796 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Edit: Since some people have inquired about my wife's dress, I feel I should mention that she got it at Dress Barn.
IMG_0800 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The 2nd stop in our dinner rotation was Enchanted Garden. The look and feel of that restaurant perfectly fits the name. I can’t for the life of me remember what I had for dinner that night; but I’m sure it was very good. (Note: I took notes throughout the cruise; but not on this meal for some reason.) But the bright spot of this dinner was that our DD was an absolute gem. We had no problems with her this night. I’ll just mention here that she was great for the rest of our trip. It was just the first night that was a disaster.

This is also the first night we started to really talk to our Australian tablemates about the differences between their country and ours. Over the course of the cruise, we found out things such as: kangaroos aren’t as prevalent as some might assume (at least not in suburban/city areas); by law, they have to vote; their murder rate is super low; they know us Americans are sue happy (their joke about Americans is saying “I’ll sue you” to each other); you’re guaranteed at least 4 weeks of vacation a year, no matter what type of job you have; as well as other little fun facts.

Fountain at Enchanted Garden
IMG_0810 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The show for this night was “Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular”. Not figuring in the show from the first night…. UGH!!!!... this was the best performance that we saw. Sure, the story is familiar; but it was well executed, and very entertaining. And like the movie, the Genie was the absolute star!!!!!! It was fun to try and find that actor during the other shows. He really gave it his all; even in the small roles.

So that was basically the end of our night. We eventually headed back to the room. My wife and daughter went to sleep, while I went out to do some nighttime picture taking.

IMG_0813 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Last edited by SrisonS; 01-26-2013 at 09:57 AM.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #48
Sereina
Mouseketeer

Great update! Awesome pictures, as usual.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #49
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Love those formal night pictures! What a beautiful family, and I love your wife's dress!
MomToPrincePhillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #50
All American
DIS Veteran

Subscribing...

I can't wait to read through your trip report! I've seen some of your pictures of the Photography Forum, and I look forward to seeing what you share on this thread. Your daughter is adorable! TIA for sharing!

DH Me DD DD
All American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #51
swalesfamily
Mouseketeer

Loving your pictures! You are inspiring me to get up early on my cruise in Jan to try to capture some spectacular shots. Really enjoying your TR

swalesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #52
SrisonS

Day 2: Starting Early & Ending Late

Fantastical Night by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Going into this trip, one of the main things I wanted to do was to do some night shooting with my tripod. Wanting to get creative, but having to use a tripod, is something Im not completely used to doing. I tend to shoot at a lot of unique angles, and I can get pretty impatient sometimes. So taking the time to setup a tripod, and also making sure the camera is in the exact position I want, is still a struggle. But the only way to get GREAT night shots, or super sharp indoor ones, is to use a tripod. So the pros outweigh the cons there.

IMG_0820 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0843 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Overall, the shooting went pretty well this night. I did find it hard however to get a shot that shows off the length of the ship. Because the Aquaduck is something that must be in the shot, its hard to find a spot where you can accomplish this task. I did find an area next to Currents (the adult outdoor bar) that was suitable though. Also, for anyone that might be thinking out going on a night outing with their tripod; you should know that it can get VERY windy on the top decks. Mine blew over a couple of times (luckily, when my camera wasnt on there). But the various wind barriers can help to fight that issue.

(clickable...)

A Quiet Night at Quiet Cove by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0879 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0859 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Last edited by SrisonS; 12-09-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #53
Kandjandj
Earning My Ears

Wow, your pictures are gorgeous.
Kandjandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #54
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

LOVE your photos!!! And what a beautiful family! We have just over 3 months until our Fantasy cruise, and this report has been super helpful so far! Thanks for taking the time to write it!

WDW - Too many visits to count!
AOA - Jan 2013 CBR - Nov 2013 POR - Jan 2014 POP - Feb 2014 ASMo - Oct 2014 YC - Jan 2015
Disney Fantasy - EC, March 2013
W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Glass Slipper Challenge - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
FloridaNative8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #55
SrisonS

Thanks for all of the great comments.

This report might start rolling along a little more steadily soon. Work is kind of slowing down now, so I have more time to "think" during the day.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #56
indychristine
Earning My Ears

Loving your TR! Cant wait to read the rest. We went on the Fantasy last May and are sailing her again on March 9th for our anniversary!
Thanks so much for sharing! It helps to build the excitement of our upcoming cruise!
I've sailed all 4 DCL ships! Fantasy and Dream twice RCCL once and NCL once!
DL & WDW- Too many times to count!
Home Resorts BLT & VGF
indychristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #57
indychristine
Earning My Ears

Forgot to subscribe!
I've sailed all 4 DCL ships! Fantasy and Dream twice RCCL once and NCL once!
DL & WDW- Too many times to count!
Home Resorts BLT & VGF
indychristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #58
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

You have some great photos. However, my favorite is the one of the lady who kept hitting your daughter in the head with her camera. What kind of idiot isn't aware their camera is swinging into a young child ... on a Disney ship? Sweet revenge.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #59
SrisonS

Day 3: The Art of Fine Dining

Day 3: The Art of Fine Dining

IMG_0885 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So, because of my late night of fun, I decided to sleep-in a little. Well actually, my wife seemed to really be rushing to get out that morning, and I didn’t want to argue that early. But my DW and DD went to breakfast with my father-in-law; and also went to a “Wake Up With Disney Junior” type of thing, featuring Jake and the Neverland Pirates music (with an appearance by Jake).

IMG_1458 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1455 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

When they finally came back, we all went out for some quality family time. During the previous couple of days, my wife kept saying how she wanted to do the Midship Detective Agency game. So that’s what “we” did. She’s the one that actually did everything for it. Me and the DD just tagged along. There are 3 versions of this interactive experience (The Muppets, Classic Disney Characters, and 101 Dalmatians); each with a different difficulty rating. We (she) decided to do the Muppets one. And I gotta say, it’s a pretty cool game. The basis of the Midship Detective Agency is that there’s a mystery that needs to be solved. But to conclude the investigation, you have to eliminate various suspects along the way. To determine who you’ll have to scratch off your list, you visit quite a few locations all throughout the ship. The coolest part is the interactivity of it all. The screens you interact with are the same ones that house the Enchanted Art. So if you stand in front of one of those “pictures” without the game card, the normal Enchanted Art sequence plays. But when you have the game card in-hand, it knows to start that part of the Agency game for you. And it’s not just an indicator of “someone needs some clues now”. But you also move the card around to help uncover those clues….. move a flashlight around the screen… melt some ice in a fridge… light fireworks… etc. I’d definitely recommend doing this on one of your Sea Days; maybe even better on a Port Day, with less people on the ship.

IMG_0882 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0884 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0602 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

My Disney Pics on Flickr!!!!

Last edited by SrisonS; 12-06-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #60
SrisonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX
You have some great photos. However, my favorite is the one of the lady who kept hitting your daughter in the head with her camera. What kind of idiot isn't aware their camera is swinging into a young child ... on a Disney ship? Sweet revenge.
Well, she's lucky I didn't get her name. Like I've heard one lady say, "that Facebook is evil!!!".

Tags
2012, disney fantasy cruise, eastern caribbean, pictures, san juan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: