Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #106
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Yay! You are at AKL! In a weird way I prefer the food courts at the Deluxes because they are smaller and less overwhelming. But ya...if you had to eat there everyday it would get old!

I love The Mara's African Soup. YUM.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #107
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Your pictures of AKL make me homesick! I just love that resort !

I didn't really care for the zebra domes, maybe it was the white chocolate.

The baby pool was a good size for the wee ones. We went out every morning around 7 to use the hot tub. Loved it.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #108
BEARCATS07
Mouseketeer

AKL is on the list of places to stay soon!
BEARCATS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #109
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
Did you try the African Stew in a bread bowl? That wasn't too bad, but the food court food tends to suck anyway.
I did not. I kind of forgot they had that and I knew I had to get something Claire would like and that we would most likely share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Yay! You are at AKL! In a weird way I prefer the food courts at the Deluxes because they are smaller and less overwhelming. But ya...if you had to eat there everyday it would get old!

I love The Mara's African Soup. YUM.
The variety just was not good and Claire is pretty picky and wil leat limited things. I can be at times too. I HATED the food court at AoA though. Terribel selections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Your pictures of AKL make me homesick! I just love that resort !

I didn't really care for the zebra domes, maybe it was the white chocolate.

The baby pool was a good size for the wee ones. We went out every morning around 7 to use the hot tub. Loved it.
We loved it there. I took a LOT of pictures too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEARCATS07 View Post
AKL is on the list of places to stay soon!
I give it a thumbs up!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #110
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

Trying to keep up with all your reports, now I'm not even sure which one I introduced myself on.

AKL is on my list of dream Disney resorts for sure, all the little details win me over. I love the ceiling decorations in the food court.

Disneyland '88, '93, Feb. '10, Jan. '11, Feb. '12, Jan. '13

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #111
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

It has been several years since I last went to AKL. I don't think Tyler has ever been there. I might try to squeeze in a trip to AKL if we can fit it in. So many things on my list for this trip. But your pictures make me want to go back again. I want to try out the zebra domes. I'm not a fan of white chocolate though.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #112
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

finally over here - All caught up.

What a journey..... AKL was the only place I think where my room was not ready right away. Or at least wasn't ready when I WAS ready for the room.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #113
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I am repeating myself, but I LOVE all the photos you take. Takes me right back to our stays at AKL! We loved it there too.
Unfortunately the mentioned African Stew in a breadbowl is no more. They serve it with rice now and it's not as yummy as in the breadbowl - has to do with the "soaked" breadbowl, which was delish.
I am pretty glad you liked the Zebradomes - I remember the discussion about them in one of your threads. I have yet to try the new ones. Whenever we go and eat at the Mara, I never seem to feel like I would like some!
Thanks for another great update!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #114
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Love the AKL pics! Makes me miss it even more!

Glad you liked the Zebra Domes.
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520

Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #115
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I love your photos of AKL and I am glad that you liked the Zebra Domes.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #116
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

Got to love the AKL! We still can't take ANY trip there without stopping by Boma.
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #117
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

Loving your photos of AKL! I have never been over there so I love seeing the photos of the inside! I agree there isn't much of a selection at the Deluxes. Probably because they all have full service restaurants. Although I wasn't overly thrilled with the food court at Pop either.
Woth2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #118
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Well I have been totally ignoring Dis today. I found a super deal on American Girl dolls. There was a rprmo to get 2 of the dolls with book and accessories selling at $124-129 for each doll and the sale was $50 each. This is an unheard of price for these dolls. I bougt 2 of the 1 doll, 1 for Claire and one for my niece and then I thought about it and went back and bought the other dollfor Claire too. I basically got all 3 dolls with shipping for not much more than the full cost of one doll with shipping.
I have been on an excitement high all morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy4DL View Post
Trying to keep up with all your reports, now I'm not even sure which one I introduced myself on.

AKL is on my list of dream Disney resorts for sure, all the little details win me over. I love the ceiling decorations in the food court.
I can't keep up either half the time. It might be a day ro two before I post an update on either, so you got some time to breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
It has been several years since I last went to AKL. I don't think Tyler has ever been there. I might try to squeeze in a trip to AKL if we can fit it in. So many things on my list for this trip. But your pictures make me want to go back again. I want to try out the zebra domes. I'm not a fan of white chocolate though.
It was so pretty there. I always put things liek that on my list too and don't make it to half of them. The chip and Day sing along is always on my list and I have yet to make there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
finally over here - All caught up.

What a journey..... AKL was the only place I think where my room was not ready right away. Or at least wasn't ready when I WAS ready for the room.
I am way behind on yours too. Not a single place was ready for me this time...except Residence Inn but we arrived in the evening there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
I am repeating myself, but I LOVE all the photos you take. Takes me right back to our stays at AKL! We loved it there too.
Unfortunately the mentioned African Stew in a breadbowl is no more. They serve it with rice now and it's not as yummy as in the breadbowl - has to do with the "soaked" breadbowl, which was delish.
I am pretty glad you liked the Zebradomes - I remember the discussion about them in one of your threads. I have yet to try the new ones. Whenever we go and eat at the Mara, I never seem to feel like I would like some!
Thanks for another great update!
Ok, good to know about the stew. I remember seeing it on an all ears menu, but I think I blocked it out knowing that Claire probably wouldn't care for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
Love the AKL pics! Makes me miss it even more!

Glad you liked the Zebra Domes.
I remember your pictures. It got me hooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I love your photos of AKL and I am glad that you liked the Zebra Domes.

Corinna
Yep, we would get them again. not gross like I thought they would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
Got to love the AKL! We still can't take ANY trip there without stopping by Boma.
We tried Boma too. Stay tuned for that update...which will probably be awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
Loving your photos of AKL! I have never been over there so I love seeing the photos of the inside! I agree there isn't much of a selection at the Deluxes. Probably because they all have full service restaurants. Although I wasn't overly thrilled with the food court at Pop either.
I do like Pops food, but not all of it. Most of it is good though. And I like the slection. Mara had like half of that.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #119
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib
Well I have been totally ignoring Dis today. I found a super deal on American Girl dolls. There was a rprmo to get 2 of the dolls with book and accessories selling at $124-129 for each doll and the sale was $50 each. This is an unheard of price for these dolls. I bougt 2 of the 1 doll, 1 for Claire and one for my niece and then I thought about it and went back and bought the other dollfor Claire too. I basically got all 3 dolls with shipping for not much more than the full cost of one doll with shipping.
I have been on an excitement high all morning.

I can't keep up either half the time. It might be a day ro two before I post an update on either, so you got some time to breath.

It was so pretty there. I always put things liek that on my list too and don't make it to half of them. The chip and Day sing along is always on my list and I have yet to make there.

I am way behind on yours too. Not a single place was ready for me this time...except Residence Inn but we arrived in the evening there.

Ok, good to know about the stew. I remember seeing it on an all ears menu, but I think I blocked it out knowing that Claire probably wouldn't care for it.

I remember your pictures. It got me hooked.

Yep, we would get them again. not gross like I thought they would be.

We tried Boma too. Stay tuned for that update...which will probably be awhile

I do like Pops food, but not all of it. Most of it is good though. And I like the slection. Mara had like half of that.
My wife tried to get two dolls and they sold out between the time she put them in her cart and checking out. So very sad.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #120
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyTwinDad View Post
My wife tried to get two dolls and they sold out between the time she put them in her cart and checking out. So very sad.
I had heard this happened to a lot of people. I happened to be on the right board at the right time and someone found the code out about 8 AM so I got mine bought before they even went on air on the Today show. One of the best deals I ever got I think. Just becuase they are so popular and never have sales on the dolls, I thought for sure I would have no chance.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: