Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
sewmess
DIS Veteran

***villains!!!!!******

I just checked out the new Villains collection...I want, like, 95% of it.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, I like Disney Villians. I'm not a princess girl, I'm not a Pooh girl, and I'm sure as shootin' not a Tink girl (yes, I know she was one of Walt's favorite, just proving that he was male. I have a long, deep seated disgust of the little one dimensional fairy, from my early days reading Barrie's Peter Pan. I'm no huge Wendy fan either. If you want my opinion - and hey, it's my PTR so you're going to get it - the only female character in Peter Pan worth her salt is Tiger Lily. Tough, Strong, Silent and not a flipping dingbat! I'll get off the soapbox now.) But I love me some villains!

Maleficent is close to my heart as a classic cold as ice b-word, but I have warmed up to more recent villains such as Dr Facilier! I was really happy when at last year's MNSSHP the stage show was changed to give him a larger role. And I can't wait to see it again this year!

I still have some of the original Villains line stuff: two mugs, some note cards and stationary. Somewhere in my stash (hidden in my sewing mess - er room) I have a Maleficent Pen and Letter Opener set as well. I've got some excellent hand crafted t-shirts with the wicked fairy and about four or five versions of her in dragon form. Including an awesome action figure set of the dragon and Phillip and the Dragon roars. Sorry - went all fangirl on you for a minute.

I really hope they have some of this stuff at the parks.

Where I will be in one week and one day.

And OMG - I have so much to do!! Laundry, pack, pick up last minute items, make sure DH gets the in-laws &/or friend to stop by the house and make sure it's still there, make a bag, resize the shirt I want to wear one day to MK, make a Mickey Bat shirt, finish a skirt and ...who knows what else.

And what do I plan to do tomorrow on my day off?

Go to JoAnnes and Hancock Fabrics with my 20% off coupons.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
sewmess
DIS Veteran

AAAaaaaaagggghhhh!!! 2.75 days and I'm not ready!!

My bag that I want to take is in 9 pieces and I may need to add at least one more.

We've barely started packing.

And my seperation anxiety is kicking in.

Yes, I'm almost 40 and have seperation anxiety. It goes back to when I was 3 months old, so goes to show you what happens when you're an infant is important. Our family had a fire and were "homeless" (Dad was a PCUSA Minister, so we weren't really homeless, just dispossesed for a few months) when I was 3 months old. Because of that I had to stay with parishners while Mom and Dad took care of the necessary business. So, I have some seperation anxiety. When I was in elementary school it was really bad. It only pops up when I'm about to travel. Because I also have an extremely active imagination, my mind always goes to the worst.

The plus side is that I'm also a pretty superstitious person, so when I imagine the worst thing possible, I'm actually a little calmer. If I'm stressing about it, it won't happen. Experience has taught me that. Whatever I'm NOT worried about will be what happens, so now I worry about everything so nothing happens. Easy. A little extra stress possibly, but better than the stress of actually going through the horrible experience.

And, once I'm far enough away to know that no matter what I do, I can't effect whatever happens anyway, I let it go. Usually around Montgomery.

Still worry about the dog while I'm away. Silly really, since we board him at the vet and if anything were to happen, well, he's at the vet's already.

We have, however, started packing. DH has, anyway - all his shorts are in the luggage ready to go, but I'll probably have to repack. His idea of packing is throw it into the bag and squeeze as much in as possible as he zips. And then ask me to iron it when we get there.

And he's decided on which car we will take. It shall be. . .(Drumroll)...the Pontiac. Great, one more thing for me to worry about. (not so much: it's my car and I'm more comfortable in it than he is. )

'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Home again...Naturally

I'd like to say that the filking titles are all done, but I'd probably be lying.

Home we are. The dog has mostly gotten over his seperation anxiety - he's sleeping on his pillow now, instead of following us around the house at every little move. We haven't started on the laundry and I think I actually still need to journal the last couple of days in my trip book, but it's back to the real world and work tomorrow. Blah.

Here are a few teasers for you, in no particular order:

The Backside of Splash Mountain
Just Say No to Beef Murray
The Magic Poncho Theory: Proved
Surrey Bikes: Better Out Than In
Izzazoo
"Now Your Feet Hurt Too."
Never Get Between the Man and the Maquette

It was a good trip, both relaxing and satisfying. And since our plans are no trips until 2014, we need it to last a while.

Let me regroup, see what has occured at work, and I will be back with our first installment: It's Raining, It's Pouring or The Umbrella Died (Okay, I got a little caught up in travel day 1...I promise, rain is coming & the umbrella is still dead)

Last edited by sewmess; 10-04-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Oooh - Glad to have you home! Sorry your trip is over already!

I can't wait to hear all about it though... Oh and the backside of Splash has me very intrigued!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
sewmess
DIS Veteran

And They're Off. . their game

Thursday September 20: last of the daily grind and then on to Greenville. Not as exciting as WDW, but the first step.

DH got up early to take the dog to be boarded. We also use this time for him to get his annual and a much needed bath. The dog, not the hubby. He bathes every day.

After the boys leave, I finish up last minute details: got the hairbrush? check. Turn off and unplug iron, coffeemaker, etc? check. Get the one customised shirt I got finished in a bag to go? check. Phone charger in the bag of holding? check.

Ahhh, the Bag of Holding. I did a Disney craft swap a month or so ago and one of my goodies was a totebag with Mater on one side and Mickeys on the other side, along with my name. It's wonderful and huge. I had designated it my car bag and put in some crocheting, if the urge hit me, and my book, and my kindle, and the important check in documents, and so on. When DH brought his deoderant out that morning, he'd already put the medicine bag in the car, so it went into the bag of holding. I made sure my two little daily meds were in there and he found the camera charger and they went into the bag as well. Somewhere in there DH started calling it the Bag of Holding and it stuck.
Probably the third or fourth time he asked, "Do you have <insert necessary item here> packed?" and I answered: "It in the bag."
DH: "Which bag, the big bag?"
Me: "No. The other bag."
DH: "The Medicine Bag?"
Me: "No, MY bag."
DH: "The one you made?"
Me: "That's a purse. My Mater Bag."
DH: "The Bag of Holding. Right."

After making sure everything was ready to go I went out, locked the door, swore and headed back in. I couldn't remember where I'd left my sunglasses. Went through the house and didn't find them. Gave up and headed back out. Locked the door and found my sunglasses in my bag. The one I made - not the Bag of Holding.

Then came the hard part.
Work.
A full 8 hours of work.
Well, I did have a couple of things to finish up: scheduling, weekend stuff. so that took me a good hour, hour and a half. Then I had to wait. I couldn't leave early, just in case a fire broke out. Or the IMAX film broke. Or a visitor needed to complain about something I could never possibly fix. Like the parking deck.

Anyway...It finally hit 4:30, I came to the conclusion that the place was not going to blow up that day, so I hit the road.

Or more accurately Publix for the snacks for the road and water. That handled, I made my way through Birmingham rush hour to my sis's house.

DH & I live north of Birmingham and work in the city. Instead of wasting valuable time going back north only to head south again, we were going to leave the Rondo at my sister's. She lives about 10 blocks from DH's work, so it's a convenient starting place. And she has the room to keep an extra car.

I got there late enough that I figured that she and her DH had gone out because there was only one car. I have a key to the place, but I never can find it. (probably because, as I found out when we got to CBR, it was in the bottom of my purse.) So I started consolidating things into the cooler and realised we didn't have anything to keep said cooler cool. I forgot to get ice. And then I realised I forgot to get dinner. DH never eats enough during the day and it makes life much simpler when there is food waiting for him. And then I realised.. .I forgot gas. We had about a quarter tank, but I feel much better when we start out with a full tank. And then I realised I forgot Darth TomTom.
(We inherited a TomTom that the previous owners had programmed with Darth Vader's voice. We're both more than a little nerdy/geeky so that's cool)

About that time the door of the house opens and my sister comes out with her Bearded Dragon, Mr. Cocky-pants. That's not his real name, but I never remember it, Tazmin I think, something New Zealand-ie. We talk a little and then DH drives up.

Luckily DH had the map book in his car and I had remembered to double check the route on google maps before I left work. But we needed to get on the road and onto dinner before DH became Mr. Cranky-Pants.

Off we went, merrily on our way to Alabaster, south enough of Birmingham that we should be free of the craziest of the crazy drivers. Alabaster is a growing suburb of Birmingham. And therefore, parts of it are centrally planned. Which means. . .completely illogically laid out and you have to go three other directions before you can get where you're actually going. We like the other side of Alabaster better. Not that it's anymore logically laid out, but we have friends that live over there.

Anyway, we survived Alabaster and then headed to our next challenge. Montgomery. Over all, the drive wasn't bad, but the trip hadn't started out perfectly: no GPS, no ice, no gas, no dinner. And all that made us later than DH estimated, which sent him closer to turning into Mr. Cranky-Pants.
But, we made it to Greenville after the longest 35 miles in the world (between Montgomery and Greenville) and his sister had a bottle of wine for me and snacks for him.

We had evicted our nephew from his room...he's a big boy, 21, and he can handle it. So we finally hit the sack at about 11:00, to get a little sleep and prepare for the next leg of the trip.

Tune in Next time for: RAIN? Where? or The Unbrella Died

Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
DMGeurts

Love the update!! And I love your writing style - makes me chuckle... The Bag of Holding - ROFL!!! Gotta love that! I have several Bags of Holding in my house...

Rut-roh... I dislike dead umbrellas...

D~
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the comment. Glad my style gets chuckles.

I can't stay serious for very long. It just seems a waste of energy.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Rain? Where - or The Umbrella Died

Second Day of Travel: September 21

We got up early for vacation (8ish) and the only person left in the house was SIL. We putzed around for a while; breakfasting, showering, repacking. About the time DH was gearing up to hit the road, I remembered that I needed to charge my cell and he discovered that I had not had any coffee. So, we plugged the phone in (no car charger) started my daily caffeine with a half a cup of coffee and finally hit the road, 8:30/9:00 central time.

We’ve made the drive to Orlando from Greenville the current way for four years now, so all we really need the map book for is to verify that I have transposed any numbers. We take AL 10 to Luverne where we pick up 321 to Florala (not 231 to Dothan, which is a pain in the patootee to navigate. Just past Florala (as the name indicates) is Florida and then about 10 miles to De Funiak Springs, where we hit I10.

I10 is boring, by the way, so I’ll skip most of this, hitting only the Steak-n-Shake just before Tallahassee and just after Tallahassee before jumping over to I75. The Steak-n-Shake is important because the only time we are able to imbibe in the steaky/shakey goodness is when we’re away from home. The Birmingham Metropolitan area does not have the Steak-n-Shake. (shock) We prefer our greasy goodness be home-grown. Ask me about Green Acres sometime.

Just after Tallahassee is when DH’s travel sense comes in. There are certain stretches where time and space are malleable. At least in his mind they are. The 36 miles from Montgomery to Greenville is one - another is the 90+ miles from Tallahassee to I75. Both of these, in his mind, are a scant handful of miles; mere minutes from one to the next. So as soon as we pass the last Tallahassee exit:
DH: “What’s the next turn?”
Me: “I75.”
DH: “I know that. How much longer? Two, three exits down the road?”
Me: “No, it’s a ways.”
DH: “Thirty-40 miles?” (meaning about 15 minutes, the way he drives)
Me: “I think it’s longer than that” (trying to avoid math and the map book)
DH: “I don’t remember it being more than 60 miles.
Me: (finally giving in and getting out the map book and doing math) “It’s about 90 miles.”
DH: “Really.”
Me: “Yes: we just passed exit #### and the exit we’re looking for is ###.”
DH: “I thought it was closer.”

We jog over to I75 and head for the turnpike (another space/time malleable zone) We do always remember that the turnpike is to the left, so we’ve never missed that turn. Making sure the change is at the ready, we look down the turnpike towards Orlando. About 40 miles out, we see what looks like a mountain range in the distance. Unless some serious tectonic plate action has occurred, it’s not mountains, but rain clouds.

And so it was. One minute it was “Look at the pretty mountain range looking clouds” to “look, there’s Noah, looking for his off ramp.” Somehow, we make it off the turnpike and on to I4 with only a minor bout of spousal irritation (The automated coin counter kept demanding more money so DH thought I didn’t give him the right change. I thought because he made sure to line all the coins up and toss them in as a roll the counter didn’t count them right. Turns out we were both wrong because we verified everything on the way home and the automated counter STILL DEMANDED ANOTHER QUARTER!) We get onto International Drive with no problem and find our way to the hotel we usually stay the night before Disney.

We found this particular hotel the first year we came from Greenville without cats to herd or safes to drag. We reached the area we used to stay at about 3:00 in the afternoon. DH just wanted to get on to Orlando and I agreed. We reached Orlando at about 5:00pm and decided to see if the Quality Inn (DH’s hotel of choice at the time) had any rooms. They did and they were also going through a management/name change. We checked into the Quality Inn and checked out of the Rosen Inn.

We’ve never had any problems getting a room, so DH let me off at the entrance and I went in. And they had no rooms (Shock) I’m sure I looked a little stunned, because I was not expecting that they would not have any rooms. The Wonderful Desk Clerk filled out a referral form for their sister hotel, Rosen Center, just down International Drive a bit, with the Rosen Inn’s standard room rate, rather than the Rosen Center’s inflated Conference Center Hotel rate.

I went out to find DH and he looked as stunned as I when I said there was no room at the Inn. Then we found our way, following the directions given by the desk clerk (right onto International Drive and then a right into the Rosen Center) Check in was easy peasy with a little small talk about the rain and no room at the Inn. Then came the hard part: finding the parking deck. Not really that hard, just longer and more circuitous than we expected. But it was very close to an entrance into the Center. And covered. Which was good because the rain had said, “forget this drizzle stuff” and turned into a serious soaker.

We parked and started to gather the things we were going to take into the room for the night and that’s when I realized the overnight bag had just been packed for one night, the night in Greenville. So while it had sleep clothes and swim gear, there would be nothing for the next morning. We decided that DH would come down in the morning to get the big bag with all the clothes, when the rain hopefully would be gone. So off to the room.
I hadn’t worried too much about getting through the rain because the one thing I had remembered was the umbrella. It was the emergency umbrella with a broken spoke, but it would keep the rain off. I pulled it out and opened it up and heard: “Pop. Pop.” Then two more spokes joined the one I knew about dangling before my eyes. The umbrella still stayed it, it just had two little holes and drooped on one side. It worked well enough to get us into the hotel looking just drizzled on, instead of drenched, so there was that.

The entrance by the parking deck was the convention space entrance. So we had to schlep across the conference lobby, passed the restaurants, passed the deli/convenience store, until across from the bar we finally reached the elevators to the rooms. We were on the 13th floor.

The room was nice, if a little utilitarian (conference hotel, remember) and I immediately plugged in the phone and took off my wet shoes. DH took off his shoes too and then paced, getting over driving all day. We talked about dinner then, checking out what the hotel had to offer so we didn’t have to go out in the rain. The restaurant looked a little high scale for us and we didn’t want to commit a huge chunk of our budget to room service, so we decided on the little deli/convenience store, where we had seen sandwiches.

But first, DH wanted to go grab some stuff from the car and it was decided that I would go digging in the big duffel for at least starter clothes for the next day: T-shirt, socks, unmentionables, shorts etc. That way DH wouldn’t have to make multiple trips to and from the car in the morning. So we went out and I did my trunk spelunking which resulted in a change of clothes for each of us in some of the extra plastic grocery bags that I keep in the Pontiac’s trunk “Just In Case” It also resulted in a pair of DH’s underwear escaping from the duffel, which are in the trunk to this day.

Once more up to the 13th floor and then back down to the lobby; this time to grab dinner. No Food pics, but I had Tuna salad on a croissant and DH had chicken salad on croissant, which he, in the words on my MIL “Didn’t Love”

I actually have pictures:

The view from our room.

view by qpr_ra, on Flickr

The place we ate: (DH thinks the guy on the sign looks like former FL governer Crist...he's a weird guy, my DH)
Where we ate by qpr_ra, on Flickr

Next up: Disney At Last!!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
DMGeurts

LOL I still love your writing style.

And I LOLed at your DH's unmentionables still in the trunk until this day... Sounds like something that would have happened at our house.

Sucks about the rain, but glad you made it through your trip and to Orlando safely.

Can't wait to hear all about your check in day at WDW, and your first park day.

D~
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #25
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
LOL I still love your writing style.

And I LOLed at your DH's unmentionables still in the trunk until this day... Sounds like something that would have happened at our house.

Sucks about the rain, but glad you made it through your trip and to Orlando safely.

Can't wait to hear all about your check in day at WDW, and your first park day.

D~
I keep meaning to take them back in the house, but something or other always distracts me.

Thanks for hanging in here...Park days are better. Much less wet.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
nowellsl
my car finds out everytime I have money

Just found your report! I'm really enjoying it, can't wait to read more!
nowellsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowellsl View Post
Just found your report! I'm really enjoying it, can't wait to read more!
Thanks for joining in!

I know I'm WAY overdue for another chapter. It's coming, but I have to upload some pictures first and I never remember when I am where the pictures are.

And I have to take pictures of the purse I made. I'm using it daily so that means clearing it out to take the interior pictures and I just haven't had the energy.

I might have worked on it last weekend, but DH was working on the vacation video, and that meant all I had was the Kindle - and again, no access to the pictures.

So, I'm hoping for Sunday. I can "watch" football with DH and work on an update at the same time.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
sewmess
DIS Veteran

So-maybe a post a month? I have actually started on DISNEY DAY 1, but life got in the way.

The past couple of weeks have been difficult.

Personal Life: My 78 year old mother fell a week ago Sunday and so I spent a good portion of the day with her in the Urgent care place. That Tuesday, I had a middle of the night asthma attack and got, about 3 hours sleep. The next day my mom had an orthopedist appointment and ended up in the hospital. Not for the minor fractures she had gotten from the fall, but from the impacted colon. They admitted her and found she had an irregular heartbeat. So she's been in the hospital for the past 5 days! She's feeling better and want's to go home (read: she's getty cranky and fussy) but the GI won't let her until they are absolutly certain all her plumbing is working properly. -Oh, and DH got a serious case of "just this side of pneumonia" bronchitis Friday, the day our new refriderator was being delivered. (Our old one flaked out on Thanksgiving but was behaving itself the day after Thanksgiving, after we'd already ordered a new one, taking advantage of the Black Friday sales)

So that's personal. Then there's work.

The Friday after Thanksgiving, my work email gave out. I didn't get that back to fully functionality until Monday afternoon. Then Tuesday our entire system got infected and our POS/Reservation system went MIA about mid-day. We didn't get that back until Thursday. We're still without our major document server, which went down the same time as the POS server. And I got involved in an HR issue because I'm a supervisor that another department trusts. (Do we not have a throwing up of the hands smiley? Because we should. Really.)

So, I haven't gotten diddley done for Christmas. My mom is cranky. DH is tired and cranky and I'm just tired! I can't imagine going through all of this with Children as well!!!

So...long story short (too late!) I'll have another update soon.

I hope.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
DMGeurts

Awww Ruth - I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I sure hope she is out of the hospital soon.

And wow - on top of that your DH being sick and the fridge going out... Do you need me to pass you a drink now?

And work on top of that... Maybe this calls for wine???

Looking forward to the next update - take your time though, and get caught up at work/home.

D~
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Yeah, it's been a dinkin' kind of week. I had a hard cider last night. Don't know if it helped, but I enjoyed it.

Mom is going home today. We need to get her a walker, but she will be in her apartment with her bearded dragon for company & able to eat what she wants when she wants it.
We're back up to speed at work and DH's wheezing has diminished, although he does still give himself coughing fits by making himself laugh.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: