Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #826
tink1963
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreIsMyName
I'm wondering if anyone has gone on the Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition lately? We are interested in reviews of this port adventure for our Alaska trip next year. TIA!
Not done recently, did it last year. I also would Iike to get some reviews from this year as we are going back next August and plan to do this excursion again.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #827
monicainindy
Mouseketeer

Oh 2014... I hope they come back to Alaska. We have a placeholder for Alaska next year, but really want to go in 2014 instead so I can still do my girl's trip to Europe next year to celebrate my 40th bday!!!
monicainindy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #828
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreIsMyName View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has gone on the Bear Country & Wildlife Expedition lately? We are interested in reviews of this port adventure for our Alaska trip next year. TIA!
We did this excursion a couple of weeks ago (we were on the September 3-10 sailing). We thought it was a great excursion! We saw 7 black bears total, including some cubs, all fishing in the stream. Our 5-year old thought the suspension bridges were great and loved feeding the reindeer after watching the bears.

To address something we read in reviews prior to going - someone's review (I think on Tripadvisor, not here) said there were dead fish all over and they thought people had put them there for the bears to eat. We saw plenty of live fish swimming in the stream. True, there were a lot of dead fish also. We learned the bears prefer female salmon and sometimes just eat the eggs, leaving the rest of the fish. I don't think the fish were put there by people.

I think the "greatness" of the excursion may depend on time of year. Since we went late in the season, the bears were out in force trying to fatten themselves up for the winter.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have about a million pictures of the bears, but I'm still going though the pictures from the trip.
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #829
EeyoreIsMyName
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
We did this excursion a couple of weeks ago (we were on the September 3-10 sailing). We thought it was a great excursion! We saw 7 black bears total, including some cubs, all fishing in the stream. Our 5-year old thought the suspension bridges were great and loved feeding the reindeer after watching the bears.

To address something we read in reviews prior to going - someone's review (I think on Tripadvisor, not here) said there were dead fish all over and they thought people had put them there for the bears to eat. We saw plenty of live fish swimming in the stream. True, there were a lot of dead fish also. We learned the bears prefer female salmon and sometimes just eat the eggs, leaving the rest of the fish. I don't think the fish were put there by people.

I think the "greatness" of the excursion may depend on time of year. Since we went late in the season, the bears were out in force trying to fatten themselves up for the winter.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have about a million pictures of the bears, but I'm still going though the pictures from the trip.

Thanks for the review. I'm hoping that I can do this excursion but it would be earlier in the season. I'm hoping I will still see bears. I'd love to see some of your pictures if you could post them.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #830
tajz90
Mama D

I think there's a great chance to see bears for free. We saw them in 2 diff ports, 3 diff times. One was fishing in salmon stream, one was just walking the hill in front of ship and then a mom and two cubs playing / eating near the water near the zip lining area.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #831
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Lovin this thread!
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #832
chickamu
Earning My Ears

horseback excursion alaska

Hello
Anyone done the horseback excursion in Alaska? My daughter are booked for the July 22 cruise and both into animals and have horses. Is it worth the money?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
chickamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #833
jonesm117
Mouseketeer

Smile Adventures by DIsney worth it?

We are headed for Alaska in August 2013 on the Wonder - YEAH. WOndering if it's worth it to do the adventures by disney or just book the port excursions on my own. Anyone done it?
Thanks,
Monica
jonesm117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #834
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesm117 View Post
We are headed for Alaska in August 2013 on the Wonder - YEAH. WOndering if it's worth it to do the adventures by disney or just book the port excursions on my own. Anyone done it?
Thanks,
Monica
I did it on my own. It's almost always cheaper and very safe to book your excursions on your own.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #835
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Any particular companies you used and can recommend?
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #836
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
Skagway:

http://www.wpyr.com/ (If you book through them, you'll pay less, and the only difference is that you walk to the station at the front of the train, rather than board from the caboose. We saved $50 for our party this way, and we were on the exact same train.)

It's worth noting, if you have wheelchair users in your party (I am one), that it's better to book the second train run on your own. If you arrive early enough to catch the first train, they will change your tickets at no charge and, while there are a great many wheelies on the second train, when we went, we had the whole wheelchair compartment to ourselves.

They do not book the railroad songs/I spy game one, but I can make up some goodies myself for a lot less for kids.

There is a wheelchair accessible shuttle that will take you from the station to the gardens and glassworks--you don't have to pay for the big Disney tour--however, I don't know if you can pay separately to blow a glass ornament. Our daughter was too young to participate, but she loves glassworks (took stained glass in HS) so we went out there and just watched. The whole cost was considerably less than Disney.

Ketchikan:

We did the lumberjack show in Ketchikan, and we were all a bit disappointed. What we liked best (and was VERY inexpensive--about $5) was the incredible Alaska museum across from the lumberjack show. This is a particularly good option if it's raining or very cold.

We also did the Ride The Ducks tour, and we enjoyed that quite a bit, but it's not something you really need to set up in advance.

Juneau:

The Mount Roberts Tramway is about 6 of 1, a dozen of another, but I wouldn't book through Disney if you like to keep your options open.

The Alaska State Museum is also a lot of fun, and a great choice if the day is rainy and windy.

If you want to do the major excursions (floatplanes, etc.), there are a lot of people who've made recommendations on this board. Overall, you'll do better if you book those on your own. I also posted a general overview a while back, but it's been two years, and I would go for the more recent recommendations now.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #837
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
In Skagway we booked Chilkoot Tours ahead -- saved us a couple of hundred dollars over the ship's exact version of the same excursion.

In Ketchikan we got off the ship and booked a shuttle tour with one of the companies on the dock -- the one offering the best deal, and we had a great time.

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
May 2015 -- HAL Statendam -- 14-night Alaska Cruise R/T from Seattle
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #838
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

I second the rec for Chilikoot tours for Skagway. Great excursion! We had 60+ year olds and my 5 year old along and everyone had a blast. My review is somewhere early in this thread, but it was definitely a highlight.

We did DCL tours in Juneau and Ketchikan, though I booked the Lumberjack show via their website b/c it was cheaper than DCL for the same thing. For Juneau, I'd probably book whale watching on my own if I were to do it again, though we had a great time on our trip. I heard that later DCL groups were on much larger vessels, which makes it a bit difficult. Ours was a smaller boat, so everyone could see just fine. Mendenhall Glacier was great! Wouldn't have minded more time there to explore. I think that is the nice part of booking on your own.
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #839
dvhtu
Earning My Ears

This thread has been very helpful. It seems that most people are taking the train in Skagway. Has anyone tried doing the bus only tour in Skagway? I am looking into either Discover The Yukon Adventure by Chilkoot Charters & Tours OR Yukon Discovery by Frontier Excursions & Adventures. Has anyone tried either one of these two excursions? Reviews will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
dvhtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #840
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

We rented a car in Skagway and drove up to Emerald Lake. Probably my favorite thing we did. The lake is spectacular. And we saw bears on the drive up and back on four different occasions along the road! This was in late May last year.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: