Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

christmas tree stand that works

i need help. for the 2nd year in a row my christmas tree keeps wobbling around and is crooked. i even put something under the tree in the stand for it to rest on and it still isn't working. i tried searching for better stands as these ones with the screws don't seem to work well and the other ones i found were like $90 on amazon! my brother said to get one with teeth in the bottom but at home depot and target i only saw the same design. can someone point me in the right direction that won't blow my budget? i would love for my tree not to rest on the wall for the 2nd year in a row.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Canadian Disney Mom
Formerly Tollerwalker - original join date July 2005

We used to have the same problem. We bought one like this one at Canadian Tire but I am not sure where they sell them in the states. We have had it for about 5 years and have not lost an ornament yet!!

http://www.wayfair.com/Santas-Soluti...5-SSN1000.html
Past Trips to Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises:WDW-1: May 1998 (Off Property), WDW-2: Apr 2002 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2005 (All-Star Movies), WDW-4: Apr 2006 (SSR), WDW-5: April 2008 (AKV Jambo), WDW-6: Dec 2009 (AKV Kidani & SSR), WDW-7: Jul 2010 (AKV Jambo), WDW-8: Apr 2011 (Off Property), WDW-9: Jun-Jul 2012 (BLT, BWV & AKV Jambo), WDW-10: Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (AKV Jambo), WDW-11: Mar 2013 (BLT & AKV Kidani), WDW-12: June/July 2014 (AKV Jambo, VFW),WDW-13: Nov 2014 (VGF,BCV),WDW-14: Mar 2015 (SSR),DLR-1: Nov 2010 (Off Property), DLR-2: Jan 2012 (VGC), DCL-1: Jan 2012 (Disney Wonder 7 night MR)
Twitter ID: @CanadaDisneyMom
Canadian Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

I haven't met this kind of case, are you sure that you are right?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Joan S.
DIS Veteran
Needs to 'fess up to DH about the next WDW trip!

Hi, I have one I have had for years it has a foot pedal and you lock the tree in once you have centered it. I do not know the name brand it is but if you google it a few like it will come up. The one I have is two pieces and the inner piece goes right on the bottom of the tree and screws the tree in and then that piece fits into a stand that locks. Joan
Joan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Disney Mom View Post
We used to have the same problem. We bought one like this one at Canadian Tire but I am not sure where they sell them in the states. We have had it for about 5 years and have not lost an ornament yet!!

http://www.wayfair.com/Santas-Soluti...5-SSN1000.html
I also have this one and don't struggle with the tree anymore ever. Love it!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

I have this one and LOVE it:

http://shop.christmascentral.com/ite...FSTZQgod6ysAlg

If it's not straight, you just unlock the foot lever, tilt the tree until it's straight, then lock it again. Easy peasy! I've had mine for well over 10 years now, and it's still going strong.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
marius97
DIS Veteran

Does your's just have one set of screws going around the tree? Ours has a set on top and bottom of the stand. The tree has never moved in all the years we've had it. There are also ones (at least when I was a kid) where there is a spike that gets driven into the base. That kept it really solid too. That being said, I'd love one of the foot pedal ones. I can't justify buying one when the one we have works just fine.
marius97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Joan S.
DIS Veteran
Needs to 'fess up to DH about the next WDW trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToOne View Post
I have this one and LOVE it:

http://shop.christmascentral.com/ite...FSTZQgod6ysAlg

If it's not straight, you just unlock the foot lever, tilt the tree until it's straight, then lock it again. Easy peasy! I've had mine for well over 10 years now, and it's still going strong.
THAT is exactly mine too. Works perfectly!! Joan
Joan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

We find that the wide-based plastic kind work just fine, as long as it is weighted, the center tube is relatively tall, and there are at least 5 tension screws. The width of the base is the key -- don't ever get anything under 24", and larger is better, especially if you like a tall tree.

We paid about $20 for ours at Home Depot; it has a 28" wide base and weighs about 20 lbs all by itself. We usually have a 7' tree.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

thank you! i have one with six screws,it is lightweight plastic, i got it at target last year i think. i put two 8 lb weights on the base this year thinking it may wobble around too much since the base may be too light but it still keeps tilting. its like when i drive the screws in they somehow chip away at the tree bark and cause it to just loosen. maybe it is the plastic studs on the screws. i tried to get a smaller tree this year, its not as fat but i am still having issues. i am just worried my nice ornaments may fall off if it wobbles and that would bust my budget lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

We have one that we bought from a tree farm. I'd have to dig it out to snap a pic, but it's a shallow galvanized pan with brackets and screws and it's attached to a 2 foot by 2 foot sheet of 1/2 in plywood.

It's very similar to a Gunnard tree stand but the screws go straight into the tree.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

The problem with some tree stands is that the part where the screws are is too flimsy and it cracks or bends or warps as you tighten the screws. You should be able to dig the screws into the tree trunk at least a quarter of an inch.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagginit View Post
thank you! i have one with six screws,it is lightweight plastic, i got it at target last year i think. i put two 8 lb weights on the base this year thinking it may wobble around too much since the base may be too light but it still keeps tilting. its like when i drive the screws in they somehow chip away at the tree bark and cause it to just loosen. maybe it is the plastic studs on the screws. i tried to get a smaller tree this year, its not as fat but i am still having issues. i am just worried my nice ornaments may fall off if it wobbles and that would bust my budget lol.
Plastic studs on the TIPS of the screws? If so, that's your problem right there -- the screws need to penetrate the trunk, not just push against it.
If this is the issue, take a pr. of pliers and remove the plastic studs, and I bet it will work MUCH better for you.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Do you tie the upper part of your tree off? My tree sits in front of a window and we have 2 eye hooks screwed in to the window frame between the frame and the wall. We run twine though the hook, around the tree trunk up higher and then back through the other hook.
My parents do this too. There tree is in a corner between 2 windows so the eye hooks are in each window.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagginit View Post
i need help. for the 2nd year in a row my christmas tree keeps wobbling around and is crooked. i even put something under the tree in the stand for it to rest on and it still isn't working. i tried searching for better stands as these ones with the screws don't seem to work well and the other ones i found were like $90 on amazon! my brother said to get one with teeth in the bottom but at home depot and target i only saw the same design. can someone point me in the right direction that won't blow my budget? i would love for my tree not to rest on the wall for the 2nd year in a row.
I have a super duper stand. It isn't pretty and it was about $75.00. I bought it from a nursery. It is made of galvanized metal and it is designed to accommodate a large tall tree with a wide diameter base. It has a top collar with a series of bolts that have a chain that hooks to a rod that attaches to the collar. It is hard to describe, but would hold anything from a four foot tree to a huge 12 footer. I had nothing but problems until I found this stand. A lot of the large full trees sold today have really large trunks that will not fit into most standard tree stands.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: