Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #3616
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

We just got back a few days ago and had a wonderful trip. The Christmas decor was amazing as usual.

For others looking to do a special Santa photo with their kids I found the cutest spot to be at the Disneyland hotel. They had a fake little cookies and milk station and just a really pretty photo backdrop. The Grand Californian was pretty but too dark to get a good photo with your own camera.

The Jingle Jangle jamboree area was DARLING and there was barely anyone back there! We were able to walk the whole area and let our son see all the characters without rushing or feeling crowded. The character interaction there was great.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #3617
Bex258
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
It could be Disney being slow. I haven't heard of them discontinuing the picnics, and I actually think they're offering similar picnic packages for Fantasmic! seating in Disney's Hollywood Studios in WDW. But that said, it's POSSIBLE they could discontinue them. They already stopped selling one of the meals (the only one I was interested in trying! ) So now the only reason I personally would buy a picnic would be if I couldn't get to the park by 11 AM or so that day. World of Color Fastpasses are easy to come by nowadays and even on a busy day, I think you can get them?

Disney is always slow in updating their calendars. Things are very much subject to change a month out so I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure if parades go down for a day or three to transition out from the Christmas parade to the regular parade? Either way, the 6th is still Christmastime if I recall correctly. And no promises, but Fantasmic! isn't scheduled to be down until the 7th.

If the show isn't showing by the 6th suppose you could call the line for Fantasmic! dessert packages and ask if they're available on the 6th to confirm the show will be playing. Dining often has their schedules before the website.

Our Fantasmic! is more magical than WDW's, provided you can sit on the ground or stand, so I'd definitely see it if you can. Have a great trip!

Hmmm I liked the look of the meal (and the tote bag) I'll give it until next week and give up. We could get a fastpass but its a magic morning (one we can't take advantage of) and we will want RSR fast passes too. I figured the picnic would take the hassle out of trying to get both.

I'll try the number Fantasmic! desserts and see what I can find out, hopefully they don't charge too much for international calls...(or I won't tell my parents... ) sitting on the ground would be fine, I would do the actual dessert package but my freind and I are on a very tight budget.

Thanks and thanks for the help
First visit to Disneyland Jan 2013

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #3618
Avery's mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatdisney View Post
Hi Avery's mom! I can't remember if it was a pull over or if was zippered. I think (I am not absolutely sure) it was a pullover. The other side has woman's shirts (curvy with a v-neck) and another item. There may be both. I was interested in the t-shirts. I have tons of jackets and sweaters from DL. I really don't need another.

Disney Parks Blog featured the design for Candlelight merchandise in one of their postings. Maybe they mentioned a list of items with the logo. You can read the posting by clicking on this link: Disney parks Blog 2012 Candlelight Ceremony Merchandise at Disneyland Park Hope that helps.
Liza - thank you! I can't tell what the design is by the blog posting, however, I appreciate you posting the link! Just 12 days until we go!!

WDW - Coronado Springs - Oct. 2012
WDW - Art of Animation - Oct. 2012
Disney Dream - Oct. 2012
Disneyland Paris - May 2012
Disneyland Hotel - Feb. 2012
Disney Wonder - Nov. 2011
Disney Dream - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Oct. 2010
WDW - OffSite - Dec. 2008
WDW - OffSite - Oct. 2006
Grand Californian - Oct. 2004
WDW - CBR - Oct 1993
WDW - Off-Site (first visit) - March 1992

Me DH DD DS
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #3619
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Disney06 View Post
This is a cute ornament, however this was my pet peeve at WDW last year.. Why the next year's dates on so many ornaments?
It used to bother me, too. It doesn't anymore. I go to DL about 7 to 9 times a year. I go every December. If not for a weekend, then a day trip. I was in DL last weekend (the first of December). There was very few 2012 merchandise. No ornaments though. The 2012 merchandise they had was hard to find. I have learned to buy my dated items I really want (mainly pins, ornaments and/or mugs) as soon as I see them. If I didn't, come the end of November and the item(s) I wanted were sold out or in very limited supply. Many times I would go on a wild goose chase looking for a item that I heard from a CM was in the DLH gift shop, going out of my way to be sure I could buy it.

I could find the dated pin by trade. I could go on ebay and hopefully find the other items I want. But when it comes to the ornaments, I rather get them in December to be sure I have them in my collection. I know this approach wouldn't work for everyone, but it certainly works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex258 View Post
OOOh that looks nice, I'm glad theres some 2013 bits out already seeing as I'm there in the first couple of days of the new year, thanks for the picture.
It was funny in the DLH gift had a table half with 2012 merchandise and the other half with 2013 merchandise. It was nice to compare side by side the differences in design between the two years. A CM said he thinks the theme for 2013 was Sorcerer Mickey. i hope. He's my favorite.

BTW, it seems to me if you want to get a limited item or an item in low supply go to the hotel gift shops. Sometimes they will have them. I know that is true with the Holiday Hotel pins. This year's pins came out on Nov 8. They should have sold out by now (LE 500), but there they were in the hotel gift shops. They must have put some aside for guests that visit for Christmas. You can ask a CM working in a shop to call the gift shop to ask if they have the item you want.

Anyway my two bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery's mom View Post
Liza - thank you! I can't tell what the design is by the blog posting, however, I appreciate you posting the link! Just 12 days until we go!!
Your are welcome. You should have a blast! Safe travels.

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.

Last edited by Sherry E; 12-04-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Merging posts
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #3620
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I think I'm going to be doing a call-in show about the 2012 DLR holiday season with the Unplugged Podcast team (or at least a couple of them) tomorrow night (unless plans have changed). We did a similar show for Halloween Time.

Tom/ImTooExcitedToSleep will probably post the phone number to call in, if he has not done so already. Stay tuned for that! We'll be taking specific questions about the season and doling out pearls of Disneyland holiday wisdom to the masses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
We just got back a few days ago and had a wonderful trip. The Christmas decor was amazing as usual.

For others looking to do a special Santa photo with their kids I found the cutest spot to be at the Disneyland hotel. They had a fake little cookies and milk station and just a really pretty photo backdrop. The Grand Californian was pretty but too dark to get a good photo with your own camera.

The Jingle Jangle jamboree area was DARLING and there was barely anyone back there! We were able to walk the whole area and let our son see all the characters without rushing or feeling crowded. The character interaction there was great.
I deleted one of your posts, as it was a duplicate!

As you may recall, I posted a detailed explanation about all 5 Santa locations (complete with a reference to the milk and cookies) in this thread within the last couple of weeks (it was after 11/12), and I then posted photos of all 5 locations (including the Jingle Jangle Jamboree spot) to show the differences.

The Disneyland Hotel spot is more elaborate, for sure, but as I explained it is inconsistent as far as PhotoPass photographers. Sometimes there is one there; sometimes there is not. The GCH Santa always has a PhotoPass person.

I agree - the decorations this year are amazing, but only some of them are "usual"! The DCA decorations add in a whole new layer to things (and more "themes" for my Theme Week Countdown of 2013!).

Quote:
It used to bother me, too. It doesn't anymore. I go to DL about 7 to 9 times a year. I go every December. If not for a weekend, then a day trip. I was in DL last weekend (the first of December). There was very few 2012 merchandise. No ornaments though. The 2012 merchandise they had was hard to find. I have learned to buy my dated items I really want (mainly pins, ornaments and/or mugs) as soon as I see them. If I didn't, come the end of November and the item(s) I wanted were sold out or in very limited supply. Many times I would go on a wild goose chase looking for a item that I heard from a CM was in the DLH gift shop, going out of my way to be sure I could buy it.

I could find the dated pin by trade. I could go on ebay and hopefully find the other items I want. But when it comes to the ornaments, I rather get them in December to be sure I have them in my collection. I know this approach wouldn't work for everyone, but it certainly works for me.

It was funny in the DLH gift had a table half with 2012 merchandise and the other half with 2013 merchandise. It was nice to compare side by side the differences in design between the two years. A CM said he thinks the theme for 2013 was Sorcerer Mickey. i hope. He's my favorite.

BTW, it seems to me if you want to get a limited item or an item in low supply go to the hotel gift shops. Sometimes they will have them. I know that is true with the Holiday Hotel pins. This year's pins came out on Nov 8. They should have sold out by now (LE 500), but there they were in the hotel gift shops. They must have put some aside for guests that visit for Christmas. You can ask a CM working in a shop to call the gift shop to ask if they have the item you want.

Anyway my two bits.

Your are welcome. You should have a blast! Safe travels.
I merged your posts together. We have a very limited number of pages left in this thread before I have to switch us to the new thread (only for the sake of reaching our page limit in this one - not for any other reason), and I am trying to make sure we get as much mileage as possible out of these last 8 pages - meaning no double posts, merging when necessary, etc.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 12-04-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #3621
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Here are 3 of my recent Santa information posts (I just quoted myself to save time)! I hope this helps anyone headed out to meet him in the parks or hotels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I've talked in detail about Santa at the hotels in the past, but for any of the newcomers to this thread, I'll go over it again!

First of all, when I was at DLR on 11/12 (the official first day of the holiday season for this year), I intentionally went to the hotels to check for decorations. When the hotels have their decorations up, Santa is likely to follow. None of the hotels were decorated at that time - which is pretty much what I expected based on every other year. The hotels kind of operate separately from the parks as far as seasonal decorations.

The parking guy (in the little office) at the Paradise Pier Hotel told me that the Grand Californian is the first hotel to get decorated, with the Disneyland Hotel next and the Paradise Pier last. All of the hotels are decorated by the week after Thanksgiving, and probably a couple of days before that. When the trees go up in the hotels, that's when Santa makes his hotel appearances.

When the season begins, only the two parks' Santas are at their posts. I think I showed Santa at his Jingle Jangle Jamboree post when I shared my photos last week, and I showed a photo of the location in Elias & Co. (figment_jii showed one as well). There was a long line at the Elias spot.

Most reports that I have heard over the years have said that the Grand Californian's tree goes up on the morning after Thanksgiving. This would fit with what the PPH guy told me. However, I know that one or two DIS'ers claimed to have seen the GCH tree up on the weekend before Thanksgiving in one year, which does not fit with what the PPH guy told me! Maybe it was a fluke and they just happened to get the GCH decorated earlier than usual, but it doesn't seem to be the norm.

Bret/mvf-m11c was just at DLR this past weekend (including yesterday) and he did not see a tree in the GCH lobby. No tree = no Santa. But, by this coming Friday, the tree should be nicely situated in the GCH lobby, along with Santa, a PhotoPass person, some Dickens carolers, etc.

Shortly thereafter, the Disneyland Hotel's Santa should be in place, followed by the PPH's Santa.

I have observed that the GCH Santa usually has a 2-hour 'shift,' during which he sits for maybe 45 minutes or so, then takes a break, then comes back to sit again. (I am rough-guessing the time frame, but it's in that range.) He is generally there in the late afternoon to early evening, unless his shift has been changed this year.

The Disneyland Hotel Santa is usually there in the mid-to-late afternoon (again, unless his shift has changed). Sometimes there is a PhotoPass person; sometimes there is not. This location is a bit more elaborate than the other hotels' set-ups.

The Paradise Pier Santa is always there in the morning - usually the latter part of the morning - by the gorgeous, glowing blue-green tree. There is no PhotoPass person in this spot.

Quote:
JennyN -

Santa is in some form of a red suit at all 5 of the posts (though each suit may differ in style a bit, depending on the location/theme). He was only in the green plaid ensemble at the (former) Reindeer Round-Up, post-Christmas. Since Santa is supposed to be gone from the Jamboree/Round-Up this year by 12/24, I don't think he will be in the green plaid anywhere!

As far as which locations might be better...setting aside the parks for a moment and just focusing on the hotels alone, each hotel has its high points.

I really like the setting in the Grand Californian Hotel lobby. Santa sits in front of the tree, and it's a dimly lit, elegant, holiday-esque environment. There will be a PhotoPass person here.

The Santa spot in the Disneyland Hotel (unless it has changed) is a bit more elaborate, with a whole fireplace set-up, a plate of milk and cookies for Santa, reindeer decor and various trees. There may or may not be a PhotoPass person at this spot.

The Paradise Pier Hotel Santa backdrop is very simple - it's in the lobby; it's not dim or atmospheric; it's not elaborate. It's just Santa sitting in front of the very, very beautiful blue-green glowing tree (which is my favorite of the 3 hotels' trees because it is the most colorful and striking to me). But there is no PhotoPass person here.

The Santa spot at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree is outdoors, which could be problematic on rainy days in December! I don't know why they didn't just let him stay in his little cabin at this spot, as the cabin is still available for photos!

So I guess the reasons to get hotel Santa photos instead of or in addition to the parks' Santa photos would be for the different backdrops, ambiance, coloring, etc. I find that a picture of the Santa at the GCH is very different from a photo with the Santa at Elias & Co. in DCA because the setting/backdrop looks so drastically different!

Quote:
JennyN -

You're very welcome!

In fact, just for photographic reference (and I am guessing there are other people out there who will be meeting Santa too), I compiled some of my photos to give examples of each Santa location.

(2010) - This is the Santa spot at the Paradise Pier Hotel – it's bright, cheery, and basic. The tree is gorgeous and glowing in person, but does not translate well in photos. There is no PhotoPass person here...

See the Santa chair on the left side of the picture...

Santa’s chair...

Santa hugging a random child...

Carolers on the other side of the tree greet guests as they enter the lobby...

(2010) - This is the Santa spot at the Grand Californian Hotel. It is dimly lit, elegant, comfortable, and there's an overall very nice holiday atmosphere. There is always a PhotoPass person with Santa...

Hello, Santa!

Presents under the tree...

Carolers sing and take requests on the other side of the tree (this picture is from 2008, but they were there in 2010 and last year too)...

And a Santa PhotoPass picture from 2008...

(2010) - This is the Disneyland Hotel Santa photo spot. It's more elaborate, detailed; sometimes there is a PhotoPass person; sometimes no PhotoPass person...

(2012) - Here is Santa at his new Elias and Company post in California Adventure – it's bright, cheery and there is a long line of people waiting to meet him. He was there in the afternoon and at night. There is a PhotoPass person with him...

(2012) - This is Santa at his new, outdoor, rustic Jingle Jangle Jamboree post in Disneyland (with a PhotoPass person)...

I hope that helps everyone debating on which Santa spots to go to!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 12-04-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #3622
luulu1999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ociana View Post
I keep wavering back and forth on the PhotoPass Plus order. Right now I am at a "no" but that could change. I just don't typically do many typical pictures on our trip and the idea of standing in line after rides at the ride photo booth sounds like no fun at all. I have only ever once bought a ride photo and that's cause my guys all made funny faces at once and it was just too perfect to pass up.
I was the same way...my kids are smaller so probably RSR will be the only ride they ride with a picture and we are doing one character meal...But I went ahead and got one and Ill just make sure and get our money's worth...this is our first trip so I wanted to make sure and have as many memories as possible!!

TRIP REPORT STARTED:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52056072
DS(6) DD (5) DBF Me

Christmas 2012-1st Disneyland trip-hopefully many more to come
Summer 2014-Disneyland Summer trip
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #3623
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

The DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition podcast team along with Moderator Sherry E are recording a special Christmas podcast Wednesday (12/5) and we'll be taking your calls! Call in to share your favorite thing to do during the holidays at the Disneyland Resort OR ask a question of the team.

The number to call is 877-845-0054 and we'll start taking your calls at 7pm (pacific).

More information can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3029207
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #3624
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Oh I forgot to add the 2013 Sorcerer Mickey ornament I saw at the Acorn gift shop. The CM at the gift shop told me they have only been out for a week.

I didn't see this ornament at every shop that carried ornaments. May be a hard one to find but I think worth getting when you see. The ornaments at the Acorn gift shop were almost gone by the time I left the resort. I mean I bought two myself. (Sorcerer Mickey is my favorite and I have two Christmas trees)
We found this very odd... there were plenty of cool 2013 ornaments, but 2012 were literally non-existent. Did I get my calendar wrong, isn't this Christmas 2012?

We were bummed, because we always get an ornament to commemorate our tiep for that year... had to buy ornaments with no year on them

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #3625
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

ONE HINT FOR THOSE DOING THE DESSERT PARTY...

They don't give you any kind of e-mail with confirm or instructions, and so it is easy to forget that you have to go to Guest Services to get your actual tickets BEFORE you show up at the party. I forgot, but luckily I had gotten there way early to reserve prime seats. When I asked they told me I needed to go to the front of the park, I ran to GS, got my tickets, ran back and still prime front row seats. BUT while I was waiting later for the area to open up I watched as 3 different families got into it with the CM's over the fact they had paid for this but couldn't go in now because they never got their tickets. It got ugly!!

We absolutely loved the show that way and desserts were a hit for the next 3 days while we tried to finish them all off

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW

Last edited by papamouse1; 12-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #3626
ColoradoMom!!
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamouse1 View Post
We found this very odd... there were plenty of cool 2013 ornaments, but 2012 were literally non-existent. Did I get my calendar wrong, isn't this Christmas 2012?

We were bummed, because we always get an ornament to commemorate our trip for that year... had to buy ornaments with no year on them
This happened to us last year when we were there Dec. 20-22 or so, and no 2011 Christmas ornaments to be found. It was so strange!

Disneyland October 21-24, 2008

Boston Vacation and Red Sox Game July 2009
Back to Cooperstown and New York City June 2010
Disneyland December 2011 and Jan 2013
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #3627
lisachrystine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMom!! View Post
This happened to us last year when we were there Dec. 20-22 or so, and no 2011 Christmas ornaments to be found. It was so strange!
Yep, me too! We were there last December and the selection of 2011 ornaments was nearly non-existent, but I could find plenty of 2012. I don't get it, either.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #3628
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Yep kinda sad to not have ornaments... but this year, it wasn't even Thanksgiving yet and there were none.
It might make more sense if they were out by Christmastime... but by Thanksgiving?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #3629
sirvin12
Mouseketeer

Here are some Santa pictures from this weekend. The first 5 were at Jingle Jangle Jamboree, the other 2 are from Elias and Co.

Shannon

Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #3630
cherrybluff
Earning My Ears

Shannon I just have to say the celtic dresses on your daughters are beautiful!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: