Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #511
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy
Thanks, Robin.

May try Dollar this time out. Leaving now for Milwaukee, early flight out tomorrow. Enjoy your trip, New Years again?
Have a great time! Our APs expire on 12-29 so we are seeing my in-laws after Disney and spending NYE in Tampa. I heard the pier in St Pete has a nice show. I'll miss Disney but well have fun the week before
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #512
fraggle551
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggle551 View Post
I am going December 7-10 and just got a car through Costco travel, with Alamo for $82 after taxes!!! I booked one last week and it was $176. Doubled checked today on a whim and cancelled an rebooked!
It's down to $52!!!!!! Thank goodness for this thread. I never would have thought to go through them otherwise. I'll never give up my Costco membership now!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #513
encinc
DIS Veteran

I got our 16 day MCO to RSW rental down to $277 using costco codes through Avis. My goal was below $300, so I'm happy. We started at over $800 and at one point we were down to $500 by making a stop at RSW during the drive through. It pays to keep looking. We pick up the car on Thurs, and our rate dropped $40 overnight.
encinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #514
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Could use some advice on where to look. My 24yo daughter wants to pick up a car in Orlando, drive to Richmond for the holidays, then I want to drive back with her to Orlando (and then fly home).

So we need a small car from Dec 21 for about a flexible # of days in the 10-16 day range, that will allow an under 25 driver. Other option would be two one-way rentals.

Any car rental experts out there? I'm having sticker shock!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #515
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
Could use some advice on where to look. My 24yo daughter wants to pick up a car in Orlando, drive to Richmond for the holidays, then I want to drive back with her to Orlando (and then fly home).

So we need a small car from Dec 21 for about a flexible # of days in the 10-16 day range, that will allow an under 25 driver. Other option would be two one-way rentals.

Any car rental experts out there? I'm having sticker shock!
Those are my dates and they are really, really high. Add the 25-under fee to the mix and no wonder you have sticker shock!

You're going to have to work for a good rate. I would start over on Fat Wallet: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/trav...ussion/790643/ and their car rental matrix that includes codes that waive the underage fee. Be aware that many of those codes require some kind of affiliation so make sure that you understand if you can use a code when you book.

I would also google "underage car rental" for ideas. You may have to go with a code that isn't as good as another to avoid the daily underage fee. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #516
MagiKitty

I'm in shape...shaped like a pear on two sticks

Is this a good deal?

Last minute rates aren't out yet...arriving late 12/13. Changed my dates to pick up on 12/14 8am (staying at a nearby hotel) and drop off 12/18 8am. Thrifty with no codes or coupons $117 including taxes for the Wild Car. I've never rented for a weekend, so not sure if this was a good rate or not...thanks for any information/advice!

MagiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #517
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiKitty View Post
Is this a good deal?

Last minute rates aren't out yet...arriving late 12/13. Changed my dates to pick up on 12/14 8am (staying at a nearby hotel) and drop off 12/18 8am. Thrifty with no codes or coupons $117 including taxes for the Wild Car. I've never rented for a weekend, so not sure if this was a good rate or not...thanks for any information/advice!
I would go ahead and book that while you continue to look. Payless has an intermediate for $82.54 including everything, but you'll have to take a shuttle. You might be able to find something onsite at MCO with a free weekend day over on Mousesavers: http://www.mousesavers.com/transport...car-discounts/
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #518
MagiKitty

I'm in shape...shaped like a pear on two sticks

Thanks for the reply! yeah, I wanted something onsite, and I have Blue Chip so I was more familiar with Thrifty. I'm still hoping to snag a last minute deal in a few days...

MagiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #519
Tee it Up
Self Proclaimed Beer Snob

Just booked an intermediate with Budget through Costco for $122.35 out the door! Much better than the $170 rate I had with Enterprise before that.
Tee it Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #520
Canadian Disney Mom
Formerly Tollerwalker - original join date July 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee it Up
Just booked an intermediate with Budget through Costco for $122.35 out the door! Much better than the $170 rate I had with Enterprise before that.
What are your dates?
Past Trips to Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises:WDW-1: May 1998 (Off Property), WDW-2: Apr 2002 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2005 (All-Star Movies), WDW-4: Apr 2006 (SSR), WDW-5: April 2008 (AKV Jambo), WDW-6: Dec 2009 (AKV Kidani & SSR), WDW-7: Jul 2010 (AKV Jambo), WDW-8: Apr 2011 (Off Property), WDW-9: Jun-Jul 2012 (BLT, BWV & AKV Jambo), WDW-10: Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (AKV Jambo), WDW-11: Mar 2013 (BLT & AKV Kidani), WDW-12: June/July 2014 (AKV Jambo, VFW),WDW-13: Nov 2014 (VGF,BCV),WDW-14: Mar 2015 (SSR),DLR-1: Nov 2010 (Off Property), DLR-2: Jan 2012 (VGC), DCL-1: Jan 2012 (Disney Wonder 7 night MR)
Twitter ID: @CanadaDisneyMom
Canadian Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #521
keliblue
It's kinda like a constant bad hair day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee it Up View Post
I got the same, my dates are 8th to 15th

keliblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #522
Tee it Up
Self Proclaimed Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Disney Mom View Post
What are your dates?
We are going from 12/7 to 12/14
Tee it Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #523
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Disney Mom View Post
Nice to see everyone getting some good deals today!

I am still looking - we want 12/25 - 01/06 at MCO but we will take a local pickup/drop off if its less.

Right now we are booked 12/25 with an MCO pick up dropoff 1/01 at Doubletree through Alamo. We are at $267 (minus $25 at return)

I'd love to be under $300 with a 1/06 return at MCO or 1/05 in the Lake Buena Vista area...
Are you a member of Costco? You can get a car for 1 night from MCO and then pick up a car at the Budget Worldgate Resort on 12/26 and return to MCO with the Costco code and $40 coupon it comes out to $256 for 12/26-1/6 for a prepaid compact.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #524
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
The biggest advantage of National/Alamo IMO is being able to select your own car. I admit that it takes me an embarrassingly long time to pick my car off of the aisle. My husband and I are both National Executive Elite (his earned, mine by signing up on a link I found years ago) so we book a midsize and can select anything from the midsize, fullzise or elite aisle.

The free upgrades are nice and worth a few $$ per day for me, but I am all about the bottom line. I remember being sooo nervous a few years ago about booking with Thrifty. I got an awesome rate of $79 for Christmas week and they upgraded us to a Taurus . I have rented from Dollar and Thrifty many times since. The cars that I have been assigned by Dollar (and Thrifty) have been current, roomy and clean. IMO, there is really little difference between a Nissan Versa offered by Alamo/National and a Ford Focus offered by Dollar. It's a car that will get from from point A to point B. As long as my family and my bags all fit to/from the airport I'm good to go!
Dollar worked out just fine. Not quite as easy as National /Alamo, but not overly complicated either. They had me assigned to a Nissan, I asked them to give me a Taurus. They said, sure. And $60 less than National, $164 total for 8 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Have a great time! Our APs expire on 12-29 so we are seeing my in-laws after Disney and spending NYE in Tampa. I heard the pier in St Pete has a nice show. I'll miss Disney but well have fun the week before
Well, that sounds good too. Enjoy. And thanks for your good wishes also.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #525
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Looks like there isn't much out there for deals on Christmas week.

I was able to lock in about a month ago for $400 with taxes for Dec. 22-Jan. 1.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: