Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #136
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

After a rest, we made our way back to Epcot in the early evening.

First, we stopped in France for a little frozen cocktail...

The lemon Grey Goose slushie that needs no introduction around these boards. Last year, I tried the Grand Marnier one and it woulld be difficult to pick a favorite. The orange one is a little sweeter, the lemon one would be better on a hot day. Both are excellent.

We then headed to Tangierene Café for a little dinner. We shared the lamb and chicken shawarma platter with an extra side of olive salad.

We found the platter was much skimpier than last year and not a very good value for 14.99. There were barely two strips of lamb and two or three strips of chicken in there. Last year, our portion was big enough for two adults to share and it was a little less expensive. This year, not so much. However, everything was fresh and delicious, even the flatbread. The olive side was tasty, but a little salty. We would get this again, to see if they really changed the portion size of if it was a fluke.

In Japan, we got some treats for the kiddos.

The Calpico was strawberry flavoured, non-fizzy soda, very sweet and a little creamy, kids loved it.
The Ramune was orange-flavored. It has a little marble that you have to push to drink it. It was mellow and not to sweet.
The Botan rice candy was interesting, a soft, chewy texture, but a fruit taste. Great value at 1.25$
The strawberry balls on the right were my favorite. They are soft, taste like a strawberry marshmallow and have a jelly center. Very good!
The citrus jellies were are little too weird in texture for me, but I had picked them up for the kids who loved them. Taste was not too strong, and it was not very sweet, but the jelly was kinda hard. It comes in cute little cups.
The last package was several fruit flavors of powder-type candy. My kids really like those kind of candy (think of Rockets) so they were a hit.

The kids were really happy with our selection. We love testing foreign candy.

In Italy, I got a nice glass of Rosa Regale

This is seriously addictive. You could easily drink a whole bottle of this in no time.

DH got a selection of chocolates to enjoy in the next days.

He liked them all, his favorites being those hazelnut-flavored. The orange candy is still in my cupboard, I have yet to taste it.

Since DH had his chocolate, I went into Karamell Kuche for a treat. I got a dark-chocolate salted caramel square.

These need to be enjoyed in little bites, but I was a little disappointed that the only salt in the treat was on top, in the middle. Therefore, when I would get a bit from the edge, there was no salty taste. I would have preferred an even distribution of salt in the caramel. But I would get this again, since it still delicious and lasts so long.

Before heading out, we stopped in France for a little wine.

This was a good dessert wine, but very sweet. You get a 2 once pour and it is quite enough to enjoy.

DH was a little hungry so he got another croissant from the Boulangerie-patisserie.

Always as awesome with some nice ooey gooey melted cheese and nice salty ham.

I got a cheese plate for later in the room and the next day.

These are massive pieces of cheese. The Brie was decent but a little boring, the swiss had a nice bite but the middle cheese was not good. As in, spoiled. It had a bad sour taste so we immediately discarded it. I was happy I was not sick. I would get this again, it's a great value and I'm sure the spoiled cheese was only a bad batch.
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #137
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

On October 24th, weather was wishy-washy and we were not sure if it was going to rain. It was actually drizzling when we got up, so we were in no hurry to get to Animal Kingdom. We decided to stroll over to Kouzzina to see if we could do a walk-up for breakfast.

It turns out that the place was not too busy and we were seated in 10 minutes. The pics are not good, because our camera was all fogged up from the outside humidity and then the A/C.

First, we got the pressed pot of coffee, which was like juice from the gods comparing to the Nescafe I was drinking in the parks.

DH had the breakfast skillet -served with eggs, Pequillo peppers, Nueske's bacon, onions, and Greek cheese on Sweet potato hash and topped with arugula

This was massive. It could feed easily two adults. DH loved it, but could only manage half. The added peppery freshness of the arugula went very well with the eggs.

I had the house-cured salmon - with capers, pickled sumac onions, feta cream cheese, sliced vine-ripened tomatoes, warm house-made pita bread. The bread was not pictured, but was fresh and soft. DH ate it all.

Ooooh, this was heavenly! If you like savory breakfast, this is the place to go! The salmon was fresh and buttery and so good. Of course, this dish is on the salty side, with capers and feta, so be warned. The feta cream cheese was fluffy and light and I love that the yolk of the egg was still runny. Hands down one of the better breakfasts I've had in a restaurant and DH agreed.

We got boxes for our leftovers and strolled back in direction of the Dolphin, but we made a pit stop at the DVC villa and signed up for the tour the next day. We then were headed to Animal Kingdom as the weather seemed to clear up.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #138
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

The breakfast at Kouzzina gets lots of great reviews
Your salmon and feta dish sounds delicious
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #139
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

We spent the day in Animal Kingdom and had a couple of drinks at the Dawa bar and a treat from Kusafiri.

The brownie paw...

Inside...

This puts the cotton-top cupcake to shame! Every brownie/chocolate lover should try this. Be ready to split it, because, as most Disney treats, it is massive, sugary and rich. The moist brownie was layered with a thick chocolate ganache and a good amount of vanilla buttercream that helped cut through the chocolate taste. The paw print is actually made with chocolate pieces. The brownie is chilled because there is no way it could survive in the heat, so you might want to wait a couple of minutes so that it warms up a bit. This did not bother us, but some might prefer it warmer. DH was in chocolate paradise and soon after, in a sugar coma.

Lost on Safari

This was good and DH liked it as well. A nice fruity rum-based cocktail. I'm sure there was a hole in the glass, because it was done too fast!

I also got my favorite - African margarita

This is a perfect marg!

And we returned to our hotel for a rest before heading to Flying Fish that night.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #140
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I've really enjoyed reading your last few updates. Sorry that SAI was a flop and that the server failed with your cocktail order. I'm a bit scared since I really want to try this place but don't want to get heat lamp dried out food and in-efficient service. Hmmm.... At least the chips and salsa look good.

I had the skillet breakfast at Kouzzina before and it was huge! Like you noted, the arugula was wonderful in this dish.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #141
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

I was finally able to sit down at a computer and catch up on your reviews and I'm so glad that I did! Alcohol, chocolate, cheese and cupcakes are my favorite things Your food from F&W gave me so many ideas of what to try there next year (I don't actually have a trip on the books yet but I'm pretty sure I will!). Sorry to hear that your San Angel meal was not so great. It looks good but it's too bad that the flavor and temp of the meal didn't match up.

Your Kouzzina breakfast looks fantastic though!! I was so close to going here with my DD but we decided on Boardwalk Bakery instead. But now I'm wishing we'd have gone there! (kicking myself).

I found Rosa Regale at our local liquor store last week. I love it too so this could be dangerous!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #142
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
The breakfast at Kouzzina gets lots of great reviews
Your salmon and feta dish sounds delicious
It really was delish! We actually had breakfast there a second time, just before heading to the airport on our last day! I highly recommend it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I've really enjoyed reading your last few updates. Sorry that SAI was a flop and that the server failed with your cocktail order. I'm a bit scared since I really want to try this place but don't want to get heat lamp dried out food and in-efficient service. Hmmm.... At least the chips and salsa look good.

I had the skillet breakfast at Kouzzina before and it was huge! Like you noted, the arugula was wonderful in this dish.
Yeah, I'm hoping it's just an off experience, but we really liked La Hacienda, though and had excellent service in October 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
I was finally able to sit down at a computer and catch up on your reviews and I'm so glad that I did! Alcohol, chocolate, cheese and cupcakes are my favorite things Your food from F&W gave me so many ideas of what to try there next year (I don't actually have a trip on the books yet but I'm pretty sure I will!). Sorry to hear that your San Angel meal was not so great. It looks good but it's too bad that the flavor and temp of the meal didn't match up.

Your Kouzzina breakfast looks fantastic though!! I was so close to going here with my DD but we decided on Boardwalk Bakery instead. But now I'm wishing we'd have gone there! (kicking myself).

I found Rosa Regale at our local liquor store last week. I love it too so this could be dangerous!
Yep, I have no doubt that if the food was hot and fresh, it would have been delicious.

Kouzzina breakfast is now a must-do for us. Hoping for BWV availability for next October.
We don't have Rosa around here, I found it online in a Montreal shop, but 25 $ a bottle plus shipping. I might ask for that as a Christmas present.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #143
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

Just added breakfast at Kouzzina to our ADR itinerary because of your review!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #144
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

That night, we had a very early reservation at Flying Fish, we were the first there as they opened. It is such a nice and whimsical place.

We had a fabulous server here, our glasses were promptly refilled, service was perfect.

I started with a cocktail, as usual. The Boardwalk Breeze. Very good, fruity and refreshing.

Now, I also have a pic of the cocktail menu, and I'm kicking myself for not trying the Pineapple upside-down cake martini or the Pumpkin spice martini. Too much choices!

The bread service - potato leek bread, served hot and fresh. DH, the bread-lover, was in paradise.

As my main, I went with the Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tempura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi Roll - Hijiki and Wakame Seaweed, Yuzu Tobiko, Wasabi Foam, with Sweet-and-Spicy Sauce

Yeah, this is the online menu description, which does not quite represent the dish I had. First of all, on top of the tuna, there was a lovely crème fraîche. The orange sauce at the bottom was a apple-ginger sauce which was the bomb when paired with the tuna.

Seriously, this sauce made the dish. There was also a nice wasabi oil, not foam, that added a nice kick. It was just that delicious. The only negative, and it's a small one, was that I found that the tuna in the roll could have been better seasoned and it was really cold.

Sometimes a little spice goes a long way, but we are people that like spicy and seasoned dishes and I understand that's not the case for everyone. I would get this again in a heartbeat.

DH had the Oak-grilled Maine Diver Scallops - Mediterranean vegetable, basil, pecorino romano and mascarpone-laced risotto di carnarolli

Again, the description is not exactly accurate of DH's dish. The veggies were corn and squash and it had some prosciutto crackles. For the price (35$), we thought that they could have included one or two more scallops. However, the risotto was really rich and creamy with nice pieces of squash and the occasional saltiness and crispiness of the crackle. The scallops were perfectly cooked. This is a very mild dish, and could have used some acidity or spiciness and maybe a little freshness from greens because the risotto was really heavy. It was still a nice, decent choice.

On the server's recommendations, we decided to try a dessert.

This is the Signature Flying Fish Café Caramelized Banana Napoleon - crisp phyllo, banana mousse, creme caramel, exotic fruit coulis and bitter chocolate.

Oooh, this was heaven for banana lovers. The mousse tasted like ripe, fresh, perfect bananas. The creme caramel was a little more solid that I expected but a great surprise, bursting with flavor with no evident eggy aftertaste. The bananas were nicely caramelized and the phyllo was nice and crisp, not soggy at all. Excellent dessert!

We also had the dessert wine flight to go with it.

This had a Muscat, a Moscato D'Asti and, our favorite, Fro Zin from Calfornia. All three were good, though.

After this wonderful meal, we had a leisurely stroll to Epcot.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #145
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh!!! Those scallops look amazing! I would most certainly love to order the banana dessert as well! Looks like a lovely meal!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #146
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Oh my gosh!!! Those scallops look amazing! I would most certainly love to order the banana dessert as well! Looks like a lovely meal!
Yep, the scallops were really yummy! Our experience at Flying Fish was wonderful!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #147
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

In Epcot we decided to try a couple of things from the booths.

Looking back at my review, we really seem like a couple of alcoholics, but I promise that we don't drink like that in our day to day lives. Let's say that when the kids are not around, we tend to indulge a little more....

Anyway, first, in Ireland, we tried the Bunratty Meade Honey wine which was delightful. A small pour, but still, enough to really experience the slight honey taste.

Then, in South Korea, the Bohae Black Raspberry Wine. Again, a nice discovery, but a little sweeter and stronger than the honey wine. It was nice to try it.

At the end of the evening, DH was feeling a little hungry so we picked up a couple of things from Kringla Bakery Og Café in Norway.

First, the Norwegian Club - turkey, ham, and bacon with Jarlsberg and Muenster cheese with fresh tomatoes, sliced red onion, and lingonberrry mayonnaise

Now DH proclaimed this the best sandwich of the trip - even when compared to the ham and cheese croissant from France! That's how good he though it was. From the few bites that I could have, I agree that this is a pretty solid sandwich, the bread is nice and toasted with plenty of seeds, the filling is plentiful and tasty and the melted cheese is awesome. This is a hidden gem.

We also got some treats to go for the room.

DH got the chocolate mousse cake.

He found this very good, but not outstanding.

I got the School Bread.

This, on the other hand, lived to the hype. It was fresh, not too sweet, with plenty of light custard, a sugary glaze and coconut. It was more of a bread-y dessert, but still, it was delicious and soft. I only managed a couple of bites, but it was so worth it!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #148
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing. I've enjoyed your reviews so much, I'm off to read your 2011 reviews next!
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion

Currently reading: The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #149
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

How am I just now finding your reviews! I'm all caught up now and I can't wait for more!

Sorry you've had some less than stellar service at a few of the restaurants. We find that some trips the service is better than others. A couple of years ago we had one disaster after another with table service meals but since then we've had pretty good service during other trips.

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #150
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBear View Post
Thanks for sharing. I've enjoyed your reviews so much, I'm off to read your 2011 reviews next!
Thank you, I still have three days of reviews to write, but I'm dreading the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
How am I just now finding your reviews! I'm all caught up now and I can't wait for more!

Sorry you've had some less than stellar service at a few of the restaurants. We find that some trips the service is better than others. A couple of years ago we had one disaster after another with table service meals but since then we've had pretty good service during other trips.
Yep, we found the service issue pretty hit or miss. I'm curious as to how it will go next trip. Thanks for reading!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: