Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #736
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

We didn't ride - Henry had NO interest at that point! But, I'm sure the line gets quite long, so you'll want to beeline there if it's a "Must Do"

Castle Hill flows into Land of Adventure...

Some typical arcade games

We walked right onto the Beetle Bounce and Henry wanted to ride with me, Joe sat this one out.

Henry loved it!

That was about all we did in this area. There are a number of other rides, I know a couple were closed - and I think we just skimmed past the others, mostly because Henry was asking about getting his Legos and I knew there were a few other things we for sure wanted to do! There is one called "Lost Kingdom Adventure" that is a lot like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

We moved into Imagination Zone, where they have a roller coaster called "Lego Technic Coaster"

Not that Henry would care to ride, but it was closed during our visit.

We hopped in the short line for the Bionicle Blaster

I believe we watched one cycle and then were on.

Video: Bionicle Blaster (23 seconds)

Joe fully intended to film the entire ride, but right after the above clip ends they announced NO filming or photography on the ride.

Why???

Because it's serious! The cross between the Scrambler and the Teacups was right! Whoa!

This is the Aquazone Wave Racer

They have a Lego show in this building playing throughout the day. They were about to start one, but Henry wasn't interested because he had been asking when he'd get to shop for his Legos...and he knew we were close.

Clever!

This area has a few buildings grouped together. One was the Hero Factory, another for Lego Mindstorms and one called Build & Test. Henry was most interested in Build & Test, and Joe wanted to see the Lego Mindstorms. So they went into Build & Test and I took a few pictures...

A pretty good deal at a restaurant in the area!

Continued in next post
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #737
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Their creation.

In action.

It won over and over again...Henry was thrilled and Joe was proud.

Video: The Win! (9 seconds)

Yep, I think Joe was having just as much fun as Henry was in there...

By the time we left Build and Test, Lego Mindstorms had closed! Joe was disappointed since he's always wanted to play with them.

It was about an hour or two before park closing, so we hurried onto our final destination - Miniland!

First we met this guy!

Miniland is just what it sounds like...mini lands built out of Legos. I had read much about this area and how impressive it was and it did not disappoint! I have a LOT of pictures and loooooong video because we were so into it! There are a few buttons to push to make certain figures dance/move, etc. too. There are cities and a Star Wars section.

I'll try not to flood you with pictures...

Vegas

NYC - I took a million pictures here...I was fascinated by seeing our city in Lego!

The subway. A train moved between the two stations they had.

Rockefeller

The Guggenheim

The carrousel in Central Park - it moved and played music

Grand Central Station

Continued in next post
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #738
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Hot dog stand

Rats on the garbage!

The Freedom Tower and 9/11 Memorial

Central Park

The Bethesda Fountain in Central Park

The Boathouse

Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges - this also gives you a good idea of the scale of these buildings!

Alice in Wonderland Statue in Central Park

Part of the Central Park Zoo and the Delacorte Clock

Polar Bears at the zoo

Zoo

Radio City Music Hall

People on the escalator in Grand Central

The Grand Central bathrooms

Finally moving on...

DC

The White House

Presidential motorcade! This moved

So cool

The Capitol

Continued in next post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #739
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Moving marching band - it also played music

And finally...the Star Wars section.

Have you seen enough yet??!

Hoth...right? LOL!

The boys continued to explore Star Wars...I was still into the city!

Legowood! Love the sign!

I had completely missed LA before! Gotta fix that...!

Okay, back to Star Wars.

The guys in the back with the saxophones played music.

This one would smoke when you pushed a button

Naboo

Endor

Continued in next post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #740
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Ewoks

One happy boy!

Yep, I was still obsessed with the cities...

Time was flying and I wanted to re-visit Duplo Village so Henry could play and shop, of course! One last picture in Miniland with guys that weren't so mini!

If you enjoyed Miniland as much as I did - here is a 10 minute video with some highlights:
Video: Miniland (9 minutes, 57 seconds)

And back into Duplo Village. You might remember a few water rides in Pirate Village, there are big people dryers in case you get soaked!

Walking through Fun Town again

We stopped to play in the Lego cars again - these don't move, but make for some fun pictures!

Once we were in Duplo Village Henry went straight for

It's pretty cute!

After we played with a few of the water guns in Duplo Village

And then headed back to the front of the park...a few shots along the way of things we didn't do. This was all in Dino Island - we skipped it completely.

Giant sandpit! Thankfully Henry didn't see it...we would have been here all day.

Lego Safari

And the Sea Life Aquarium - which is an additional charge to your ticket

And we were soon back to the front of the park. We told Henry there was one last thing we had to do before we were done...and that was....

BUY LEGOS!

His reaction?

I love it!

Continued in next post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #741
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Well, it was park closing and The Big Shop was a MADHOUSE as expected!

Decisions, decisions.

Choice finally made, we stood in the very long line and eventually made our purchase.

Then we said good-bye to Legoland.

There is a gift shop that sells snacks and drinks just before you leave too, I dipped in for a cup of coffee

The shop had quite a few healthier things to purchase - all natural bars and such. A good stop for healthy snacks!

Info:

Map recycle bin. Disney should do this!!!

Ticket prices. AKA - find a coupon.

They were in the process of building a Hilton on property. It of course had a Lego model!

Looks beautiful! I just looked it up, and it looks like it's done. Would be a great spot to stay for a night and do a 2-day pass.

Back in the car we surprised Henry with a few things that I snuck into my arms in the Lego shop.

He loves these!

His selection. Joe sat in the backseat with him on the drive home and put together some of this - but none of the small pieces. Between that and the few Lego Mini's we purchased he was pretty satisfied and not asking every 8 seconds when we'd be back.

I got a magnet - had to!

Another surprise

The drive home went well. We again thought about a few places to stop for dinner, but found ourselves back at Disneyland before we made a decision. So, we ate at Mimi's Cafe! Mimi's is very close to Disneyland and gets great reviews. I would recommend it.

Inside Mimi's. There are a few rooms with different themes, but it's overall just a nice, cozy restaurant. This family pictured here took no fewer than 900 pictures during dinner. One of the guys had a nice camera and documented their entire dinner play-by-play style. And you thought I was bad!

Food!
I ordered a salad, which came with a muffin. Completely the opposite of a salad, but I didn't argue! Yum!

Cobb - no blue cheese.

Joe's - likely orange chicken

Henry's corn dog nuggets (I've raised him well!)

The food was good - not outstanding, but definitely good and reasonable.

Mimi's is located right next to the Howard Johnson, which is a great offsite hotel with a very cool pirate themed water park.

As we drove back to the Paradise Pier we took a few pictures of the area and hotels.

Do NOT eat at Captain Kidd's!

Another good offsite choice with themed Disney rooms.

Back in our room we rested and relaxed and then Joe wondered if we'd be able to see the World of Color from the top floor...or even the roof. So we went exploring.

We were not allowed on the roof (bummer!), but we found a big window in a hallway on the top floor of the Paradise Pier and enjoyed World of Color again from a totally different perspective!

Continued in next post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #742
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

We must have looked suspicious because before long a security guard was there asking what we were doing! We got to chatting with him, super nice guy, and he watched the show with us for a bit!

Pirates!

It's amazing how high the water goes!

So pretty.

After the show we went back to our room and called it a night. It had been a very fun day. The next day was our last full day in California. We did NOT want to leave, but we planned to make the most of the last day, hopping between the parks and seeing things we hadn't yet!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #743
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Miniland is so cool. I think I could spend hours looking in that area.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #744
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

Legoland looks like it would go over big with my DH and DS! I guess we will have no choice but to go someday. I wonder if the one in FL is similar.
Curiouser&curiouser! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #745
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Lots of great pictures! That Mini Land is amazing! Are those little legos glued down? It looks like if a wind came through that all the little people "walking" around would fall over.
Love the World of Color pictures too! I so really want to experience that in my lifetime
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #746
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I love the bathroom sign

Geoff was looking over my shoulder when I was on the Star Wars pictures. He said, "did someone recreate Hoth in their backyard?!" No. Not quite.

And I can confirm that the Fairfield is a good choice!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #747
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Great pics! I can confirm that the Hojos is a great place to stay!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 33/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #748
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Wow, Lego Land looks like a lot of fun! All those displays are amazing.

Fairfield Inn, that sounds familiar...I think that might be where we stayed the two times we went. It was so easy to get to the parks (but really, there are a ton of "offsite" places that are so close to DLR).

Cool pictures of World of Color.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #749
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Awesome day!! You finally got around to the areas I remember. The red-orange dragon ride!!!! My DH and DD did that ride. DS was too short by an inch and they stick to their guns on height restrictions as well as Disney. I was, of course, sitting in a wheelchair with my ankle in a boot doing nothing. That dragon ride has different level of torture (oh, I mean speed). DH did the gentle cycle with DD but I know he wanted to go all out. I was watching some other adults and they really got whipped around pretty good.

Mimi's was great for breakfast. We headed there when we stayed at the HoJos in 2008. We have a Mimi's not far from our house. Love the Cobb Salad! It is my go-to each time I go there.

And I can totally attest to the Howard Johnson's being a great place to stay for those who don't want to spend the $$$ to stay on property. It's a short walk and we had a wonderful, clean room. They were redoing the pool area the year we were there (for the splash/water park) so we only could use the quiet pool, but even that was really nice.

You guys had quite the long day at Legoland. Henry did really well hanging in there all day waiting to shop!! It helps to have the places the kids can build and play to break up the day a bit.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #750
MEK
DIS Veteran

Holy Mega Updates. I have decided not to even try to read until I can see pictures. In fact, I wasn't even going to look until I could see pictures because its such a tease. Can't wait!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: