Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Tokyo Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
disneyobsessed808
DIS Veteran

Day 8 - Tokyo Disneyland Part 1

The part you've finally been waiting for...TOKYO DISNEY RESORT.

I actually got to spend three days at the resort. The first two days at Disneyland and the third day at DisneySea. Andy didn't come with me on the second day, so while I could have hopped on the third day, Andy could not.

(For those not in the know TDR tickets are weird. If you have multiday passes, they must be used in consecutive days, on the first two days, you can only visit one park each and you have to pick them ahead of time, and only on the third day on, can you hop parks).

I chose Disneyland on the second day for myself, because Andy convinced me that there was more to do there. I kind of regret not going to DisneySea twice, but we got to go on every ride at DisneySea anyway.

So we actually got a late start. We had to make lunch the night before, since there is only one vegan option in the park and didn't want to eat there twice. In the process, we got into a huge fight that carried into the morning, so while we were up in time, our stubbornness prevented us from leaving early.

Anyway, we finally got to the resort around 10:30 am. It was a Sunday and it was CROWDED. There was a CM just outside Maihama station that was apparently announcing that tickets were sold out over his megaphone. Good thing we got them in advance. We entered the gates, where they have you scan your barcode, and were greeted by this frightful sight.

The Fairy Godmother is the SCARIEST CHARACTER EVER. She really should be a face character.

We walked through Main St---, erm, World Bazaar and headed for Tomorrowland. This should give you an idea of how packed it was.

The wait for everything in the area was insane. Monster's Inc was 2-3 hours. Space Mountain was 2 hours, but Space Mountain still had fastpasses, so we decided to line up for that.

Yes, that's the line to get the fastpass. After picking up our fastpass, we headed back through World Bazaar to go on over to Pirates, since that had one of the shortest waits at 40 minutes. (Andy was able to visit the Japanese Disney website version of Mobile Magic/Mousewait to find the current wait times. It's in Japanese only and requires you to answer a short survey apparently).

The ride is essentially the same as the Disneyland version with a few slight different scenes. Still it was nice to get on a ride. The queue, however, was deceptively long!

Also, it was nice to see the Christmas decorations, but for some reason I wasn't that impressed or I didn't care about them as much. I love decorations at Disneyland, but they didn't seem as impressive - possibly because I was more interested in the uniqueness of Tokyo Disneyland and also because Tokyo Disneyland is more spacious (in terms of walkways) and less intimate than Disneyland CA.

Back to the trip, we exited through the gift shop and saw these awesome little lego toys. I, just had to buy a Pooh one!

We walked through the rest of Adventureland (the real Adventureland portion and not the New Orleans square portion), and saw possibly the coolest holiday decorations.

Stitch is HUGE in Japan, even the Tiki Room is dedicated to him. (We did see that later). We also walked by Westernland. Didn't spend much time in the land since Big Thunder Mountain was closed (as was Star Tours, and Buzz...BOO!).

So we approached Splash Mountain and saw that there was a 2 hour + wait.

Fortunately, from reading other trip reports, I knew there was a single rider line. Andy was skeptical saying they only had it open on some days, but I pushed him to ask a cast member, and the single rider option was available, essentially, you just went through the fastpass line, and once they collected the fastpass tickets, you bypassed the rest of the regular line. There was NO ONE else in the single rider line, so our wait was only 15 to 20 minutes. Hooray! In fact, I ended up getting my own row (I wonder if it was because I am larger).

(The view from Splash Mountain).

Now the Splash Mountain here is slightly different from the DL version I am used to. First, they have a weird owl in the queue, who naps, only to wake up and give you warnings. Also, I feel like all the rooms in the ride are smaller and things are closer together. There are quite a few neat differences, that may be closer to the MK version. Finally, the ride is designed so you barely get wet, which to me, is the point of Splash Mountain. I guess its for the best as the Japanese visitors in the boat with me, did not like the mist that sprayed after the big splash.

Next up, we headed to It's a Small World, which was decked out for the holidays.

Normally, Andy would not wait for this ride in the US, but the waits for everything were so long that he just wanted to find the rides with the shortest waits and it was only 35 minutes long. In the line we ate our veggie sushi.

Another thing I noticed, especially for this ride, was that the single file line system/queue is not utilized as much here until you actually get in the building. Outside, they had just a general waiting "line" that was pretty much 7 people across. We had to watch other to make sure they were not cutting and that we were not cutting (okay, I was less careful about that).

Again, the ride was pretty similar to the Disneyland holiday version, pre-Disney characters. I think the water goes out further to the scenes, but it's still pretty similar and just as fun. As a side note, I told Andy that WDW didn't have the facade, and he was shocked, saying "The facade is part of the experience!" I concur!

Stay tuned for the next installment.

Tokyo Disney Resort May 2009, Nov 2012 Check out my Nov 2012 Tokyo Trip Report
Disneyland Resort May 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan 2001, Mar 2004, Oct 2005, Nov 2006, Annual Passholder since 2007
Walt Disney World 1987 (I was 2) Mar 1997, Jul 2002 (All Star Movies), May 2007 (Pop Century)
disneyobsessed808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: