Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaesacto View Post
I think a picture is what they want so the person standing in front of them is the name they see. One poster said she was just going to make ID's for her kids- that would be smart- get a recent photo, add their name, your name and your cell. Have them sign it and be done.
I thought about the photo thing after I posted.

Disneyland '88, '93, Feb. '10, Jan. '11, Feb. '12, Jan. '13

Disney World - Pop Century April '14

Last edited by Dizzy4DL; 12-07-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
SUNNYVEE
Earning My Ears

Just came back from Disneyland on Saturday and we had 2-day hoppers. We went Thursday and saw no sign of being asked for our ID's. It DEFINITELY slowed down the lines as big families had to sign each ticket and show ID. Regarding minors, we had a 13 year old with us and they made her show her high school ID each time. She also had to show her ID at the airport. What would have happened if she didn't have her school ID? I thought that was a little ridiculous. Friday we saw signs that said to have our ID's out which we already knew at that point since we went back and forth to parks.
SUNNYVEE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #33
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYVEE View Post
Just came back from Disneyland on Saturday and we had 2-day hoppers. We went Thursday and saw no sign of being asked for our ID's. It DEFINITELY slowed down the lines as big families had to sign each ticket and show ID. Regarding minors, we had a 13 year old with us and they made her show her high school ID each time. She also had to show her ID at the airport. What would have happened if she didn't have her school ID? I thought that was a little ridiculous. Friday we saw signs that said to have our ID's out which we already knew at that point since we went back and forth to parks.
Does anyone else think this is pointless? A school ID is pretty easy to fake. If they accept IDs that could be fake what's the point of asking for ID? Or the poster who said they were going to make their own IDs for their kids?
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYVEE View Post
It's generally been policy that minors aren't asked for IDs, but it gets into a fuzzy area when it's a minor who looks to be close to adult age.

"OK - you say you're under 18 but how do we really know?"

I've got at least two forms of government issued ID for my kid, so I think we're covered **just in case**. I know some people are adamant that it's overkill, but we come prepared.

At airports the posted "requirement" is for adults to have a valid ID. In reality, they will take people aside who don't have the required IDs and use publicly available databases to ascertain someone's identity and see if it matches up. This is time consuming and of course can be bad if one is late for a flight. I suppose that if they want to see a minor's ID and they don't have it, they would do the same as for an adult.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
Dramamama
Mouseketeer

DL should just put in the finger scan machine that they use at WDW if they are going to continue this policy. It would make everything easier. Almost everyone carries their fingers with them. LOL.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DL - 1972, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1986, 5x 1987 (AP),5x 1988 (AP), 2x 1989, 2x 1990, 1992, 2x 1994, 2x 2005, 5x 2006 (AP), 2x 2007, 2x 2010, 4x 2011, 3x 2012, 4x 2013 // WDW-1999, 2009, 2012 // DCL- MR 2011, MR 2011

Dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #36
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
...Not all schools provide ID for kids, and I don't let my kids take their school ID's with them to DL. If they get lost I have to pay $25 each to replace them. If they start asking kids for ID then I think that is unreasonable...
ID isn't an automatic right. You are supposed to purchase one. I don't think it is unreasonable at all. If schools don't provide one, every citizen has the right to go to DMV and get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswh View Post
...But, just because your school gives out IDs doesn't mean they all do. My kids go to private school and they are not given ID cards. If I need to bring ID for my kids, I'd have to go get them a state issued ID as I don't want to bring their passports to the parks...
State ID was exactly what I was thinking. If you kids don't get school IDs they should have State issued ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyL View Post
Wouldn't a social security card suffice for ID (at least for Americans)?...
No it doesn't have a pic or a birthday listed and you aren't supposed to travel with your SS card in your possession (unless you are going to gamble, then carry it, you need it for a big win!)

Quote:
I agree with you. In the age that we are living in, there is no reason that every American citizen shouldn't be required to have a photo ID. Many countries require that their citizens have them. Why should we be any different? Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
...Every citizen? I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I definitely think every adult should have some type of ID on them when they leave the house. Adult being 18+.
I think it should be required 12 on. There's just too much grey area.

Quote:
I think a picture is what they want so the person standing in front of them is the name they see. One poster said she was just going to make ID's for her kids- that would be smart- get a recent photo, add their name, your name and your cell. Have them sign it and be done.
Homemade ID would be, essentially, useless. Doesn't tell anyone anything except you made a cute card with a picture on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
Does anyone else think this is pointless? A school ID is pretty easy to fake. If they accept IDs that could be fake what's the point of asking for ID? Or the poster who said they were going to make their own IDs for their kids?
School IDs are different than homemade IDs, although state issued would be the best choice. I think Disney would be well within their right to require ID for anyone 10 and over, really. In terms of combatting fraud.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #37
abent
Mouseketeer

One of the issues I have with this is that when I spoke to WDT just a week ago I asked abouth being asked for ID. I was assured it was NOt happening, and at that time my personal concern was our family happens to have differant PH. Some have 3 day, some have 4, depending on how long their schedule could handle. I wanted to know if we should even attempt entry at the same line. Thank goodness for the boards, because I have NEVER taken ID for my teen boys, even when we have flown into SNA. I would of shown up unprepared, and I know they are going to want to go play with out us a little bit. Bottom line if they are going to ID, I would think they would let me know before I travel to the parks so we can prepare for it, ESPECIALLY if I ask!!!
abent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #38
pigby
This one might be a little more challenging

Would they be OK with foreign drivers licences, do you think as I am loathe to carry passports around all day?

We had an embarrassing situation at the RFC at DTD last time when they refused to accept or drivers licence to verify who we were (in conjunction with a travellers check and our DAP's!) - never again will we go there.

Sept 2013 Loews Hollywood/Candy Cane Inn DLR, June 2012 Portofino Bay/OKW, Aug 2011 OKW/HRH, April 2011, Candy Cane Inn DLR, California, March 2011 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Jul 2010 HoJo, Disneyland California, Dec 2009 Santa Fe DLRP, May 2009 ASMu/BCV,Aug 2008 CSR/RPR - WDW/Universal, Oct 2007 Santa Fe DLRP,Dec 2006 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Aug 2006 RPR/Saratoga Springs- Universal/WDW, May 2006 Cheyenne DLRP,Oct 2005 ASMo - WDW,July 2005 POP/WL - WDW, Oct 04 RPR/Pop/POFQ July 03 ASMo - WDW, Oct 02 Newport Bay DLRP, Aug 01 ASMo-WDW Sep 00 ASMo- WDW, Jun 97 Newport Bay DLRP, Jul 90 offsite WDW
pigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #39
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post

Homemade ID would be, essentially, useless. Doesn't tell anyone anything except you made a cute card with a picture on it.

No, you are wrong. If the whole point is that someone can't rent out the ticket for the last days, then you couldn't suddenly have some little blonde girl using the same ticket as the dark haired boy who used it the first 2 days because if I am the first family to use the ticket I am not going to hand the ID to the renters to manipulate, and the renters wouldn't have a picture ID with my kids' name on it. It is the same as the adults CDL- picture matches person in front of you, name matches what is in computer.

Obviously if you made it yourself you can write any name you want on it- but the idea is that that is the name and face that should use the ticket all week.

Last edited by danaesacto; 12-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.
danaesacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with you. In the age that we are living in, there is no reason that every American citizen shouldn't be required to have a photo ID. Many countries require that their citizens have them. Why should we be any different? Just my opinion.
Since you asked: Because the United States has always strived to be the leader rather than the follower. Because the United States, the "Grand Experiment," holds as its most core belief the necessity for its citizens to enjoy the benefits of a free society. Because its laws and policies have been developed to protect that free society.

If you want to live in a country where all adults are "required" to have ID, then you don't want to live in the United States. (But I see that you are from Texas, so that may actually be true.)

On another note, I can totally understand Disneyland wanting its visitors to provide ID to use certain tickets. But 1) They should present this information in flashing neon on their web site and 2) Asking for it for anyone who doesn't look old enough to drive is ridiculous and is a huge customer relations mistake.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #41
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
State ID was exactly what I was thinking. If you kids don't get school IDs they should have State issued ones.
Not all states issue non-DL photo ID for minors of any age. California does for any age. Someone mentioned that Massachusetts doesn't and I looked it up. They require a minimum age of 14 to issue their photo ID.

The only gov't IDs that US citizen children will have in any state are passports and the newer passport card. Birth certificates are de facto accepted for proof of age but using them routinely comes with risks of identity theft. I suppose a permanent resident minor would have a greencard.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #42
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, you are wrong. If the whole point is that someone can't rent out the ticket for the last days, then you couldn't suddenly have some little blonde girl using the same ticket as the dark haired boy who used it the first 2 days because if I am the first family to use the ticket I am not going to hand the ID to the renters to manipulate, and the renters wouldn't have a picture ID with my kids' name on it. It is the same as the adults CDL- picture matches person in front of you, name matches what is in computer.

Obviously if you made it yourself you can write any name you want on it- but the idea is that that is the name and face that should use the ticket all week.
But we aren't talking about reasonable people. We are talking about people who are already abusing the system in illegal ways. I don't think making IDs would be a big stretch for such folks. You don't get the same person at the gate each day, and even if you do, they won't remember your name and face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
...If you want to live in a country where all adults are "required" to have ID, then you don't want to live in the United States. (But I see that you are from Texas, so that may actually be true.)...
I thought you were required to carry ID over the age of 18 in the US. Sounds like it might be state to state. I got a state ID at 14 to cash my paychecks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Not all states issue non-DL photo ID for minors of any age. California does for any age. Someone mentioned that Massachusetts doesn't and I looked it up. They require a minimum age of 14 to issue their photo ID.

The only gov't IDs that US citizen children will have in any state are passports and the newer passport card. Birth certificates are de facto accepted for proof of age but using them routinely comes with risks of identity theft. I suppose a permanent resident minor would have a greencard.
I didn't take state rules into account. I'm in CA. My oldest daughter got state ID at 10 for flying.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #43
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought you were required to carry ID over the age of 18 in the US. Sounds like it might be state to state. I got a state ID at 14 to cash my paychecks.
The only legal requirement for anyone who isn't specifically traveling (train, plane, etc) to carry ID is for US permanent residents above the age of 18. An adult permanent resident is required to carry a green card at all times, although the punishment is rather minor and the Feds almost never prosecute.

There is no legal requirement for a US citizen adult to carry ID while on the street, at the beach (where would it go?), etc. I've heard of people cited/arrested while out on a walk without ID. Law enforcement can detain such a person or take them to a police station to ascertain positive identification. They should be able to access DMV photo databases and/or fingerprint databases.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
Dramamama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abent
One of the issues I have with this is that when I spoke to WDT just a week ago I asked abouth being asked for ID. I was assured it was NOt happening, and at that time my personal concern was our family happens to have differant PH. Some have 3 day, some have 4, depending on how long their schedule could handle. I wanted to know if we should even attempt entry at the same line. Thank goodness for the boards, because I have NEVER taken ID for my teen boys, even when we have flown into SNA. I would of shown up unprepared, and I know they are going to want to go play with out us a little bit. Bottom line if they are going to ID, I would think they would let me know before I travel to the parks so we can prepare for it, ESPECIALLY if I ask!!!
This was my biggest issue. I wish I would have been informed. I look at the website all the time and nothing was listed. I check these boards, I know not everyone does, and the only info was about 4 and 5 day tickets. I had 12 students with me, many did not bring their school ID's. it was a problem.

After they were checking I called the ticket lines and they assured me it was not for 2 and 3 day tickets even though I knew they were checking at the gates. I just hate the lack of communication. Even the CMs don't know what is going on.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DL - 1972, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1986, 5x 1987 (AP),5x 1988 (AP), 2x 1989, 2x 1990, 1992, 2x 1994, 2x 2005, 5x 2006 (AP), 2x 2007, 2x 2010, 4x 2011, 3x 2012, 4x 2013 // WDW-1999, 2009, 2012 // DCL- MR 2011, MR 2011

Dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #45
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But we aren't talking about reasonable people. We are talking about people who are already abusing the system in illegal ways. I don't think making IDs would be a big stretch for such folks. You don't get the same person at the gate each day, and even if you do, they won't remember your name and face.
First thing is that making a convincing fake ID is not cheap. The margins that the ticket brokers operate off of aren't enough to justify making fake IDs. Second, it would very much be illegal as well as fraudulent.

As it stands now, the ticket brokers are in a gray area. It isn't illegal to resell unused days (as it is in Florida) although it does violate Disney policy and Disney reserves the right to confiscate tickets if they suspect any malfeasance. For the most part they are not breaking the law in California. They may be instructing people to lie at the gate and doing unethical things, but they aren't doing anything that could be prosecuted. The moment they start securing fake IDs for their patrons and use them to fool Disney, both the seller and the customer have committed a crime. Everything they've done to this date (preparing dates, using dry erase markers, etc) isn't technically illegal according to California and Federal laws. I really don't think they want to go there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: