Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

MAC Cosmetics

Does anyone here use MAC Cosmetics?

DD loves make up and the artistry of make up and thinks that is the career path she wants to pursue (as in stage make-up artistry or movie make up)

She has been wanting some MAC cosmetics and I was thinking about getting some and a couple of books on make up application.

I was trying to order some online but am totally confused. Does it only come in sets? Is there a set that is the total face?

Its expensive at $40 for lip stick and lip conditioner with a bag; is that about right for pricing? Is there anywhere I can get it cheaper (this was from Belks online) but that I can be sure and get authentic MAC cosmetics? (already found a site with knock off.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post

DD loves make up and the artistry of make up and thinks that is the career path she wants to pursue (as in stage make-up artistry or movie make up)

She has been wanting some MAC cosmetics and I was thinking about getting some and a couple of books on make up application.

I was trying to order some online but am totally confused. Does it only come in sets? Is there a set that is the total face?

Its expensive at $40 for lip stick and lip conditioner with a bag; is that about right for pricing? Is there anywhere I can get it cheaper (this was from Belks online) but that I can be sure and get authentic MAC cosmetics? (already found a site with knock off.

There are two books about makeup by Kevyn Aucoin that are great. One is called Making Faces; I forget the other.

I would just order directly from MAC or visit a MAC counter at a department store. I pay $20ish for lipstick or a lip pencil so what you're saying sounds about right. However, make sure they are shades she wants. Sometimes in those deals they pair a great lipstick with a dud of a pencil.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I will definitely look for the book!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack

I get mine at Macy's. It is very expensive, but I feel like it is a superior product. I really only use their eye shadows. They are more pigmented and have less "fillers" so the colors are richer and have better staying power.(Too Faced is my preferred brand for everything else.)

If she is serious and you can spare the cash, what about getting her the smallest pallet they make? I think you can build your own at the MAC website.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

I use some MAC products. I love their eye shadows. They are super pigmented and have that color that sometimes on a night out I am looking for. I'm not too fond of their foundations. As someone with oily skin i feel like it makes me break out more than other foundations do. Their lip products are pretty decent. I don't use them a ton so it's not fair to judge them. I'd say buy her a couple of pieces from MAC but if you have a MAC store or MAC counter at Macy's maybe check that out so you can see and touch everything to get a feel for what your buying.

Another good Brand if she is looking to get into make up professionally Make up Forever HD. A lot of professional make up artists I know use that. You can get that at Sephora. It's also a really nice professional brand.

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

MAC is a great line for her if she wants to start in that industry. They are all about the artistry! Maybe you could get her a few things and ask them to book her an appointment for after Christmas so they can teach her a few things. The best thing to do is to go right to a MAC counter.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

I LOVE MAC makeup. A friend of mine is a professional makeup artist for some of the TV shows, films & commercials here in NYC. I get to visit her on set sometimes, when security isn't so tight and they let me visit. There are usually 3-4 makeup artists on some of the bigger shoots, (like the former Sex & the City,) and most of them use MAC make up.

There are 2-3 types of foundation coverage. The one I use is heavily pigmented to cover my age spots, but I don't have to apply a thick layer and look "made up." That is MAC's professional Studio line, and they also have an every day line. And maybe a third.

MAC has a mineral powder, but they do NOT recommend it, nor is it used on film sets. It just does not give the necessary coverage. LIQUID foundation is better with a dusting of the mineral powder over.

Here is a link for an old MAC makeup thread here. I've been using MAC for that long.

Also, the number ONE trick: is to make sure you finish off your foundation (any brand,) with a very fine transparent powder, applied & blended in with a great soft blending brush. The transparent powder really sets the foundation so it looks like the texture of skin, rather than makeup sitting on top of the skin. And it gives a flawless finish. My MAC blending brush costs me $30 and it is worth every penny.

I recently had to go into MAC again as I got some tanned color this summer and wanted to re-match my foundation and buy a new bottle. The gal there did a whole make up application on me. Turns out, I still use the same color foundation, and since I have a bit of extra color, she changed out the transparent powder to a slightly darker color to give more of a hint of color. She taught me some new tricks with a new eye shadow color, too. This is stuff I never would have figured out on my own.

It might be better, if you have a MAC Store nearby, to give DD a gift certificate for MAC, and she can go in and have a free professional make-up lesson while they pick all the right colors for her and teach her how to apply it. She can get all the best makeup, but applied incorrectly, wind up looking horrible.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 12-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

Just be sure to never have your makeup done at a Mac counter, because no matter what you tell them you want, you will walk away looking like you're about to compete in a creepy beauty pageant. They WAY over do the makeup and not in a pretty fashion way. The products themselves are great when used well, though.

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme
Just be sure to never have your makeup done at a Mac counter, because no matter what you tell them you want, you will walk away looking like you're about to compete in a creepy beauty pageant. They WAY over do the makeup and not in a pretty fashion way. The products themselves are great when used well, though.
I have never had this happen. I always get great results. Not only for special occasions either. I did or just a date with DH once as a treat to myself and I looked natural.(enhanced of course since that IS what makeup does)
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I have never had this happen. I always get great results. Not only for special occasions either. I did or just a date with DH once as a treat to myself and I looked natural.(enhanced of course since that IS what makeup does)
Me neither.

If I didn't trust the women at MAC, I'd have my makeup artist friend re-do me and simply pick up the products at the store. But, I have never had a problem.

Maybe it depends on if you go to a real MAC center, or one that just happens to be in department store along with the other makeup counters. At those, I would think they may just hire women who aren't specially trained - except to sell products. Whereas, at real MAC centers, all the clerks are specially trained.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi

Me neither.

If I didn't trust the women at MAC, I'd have my makeup artist friend re-do me and simply pick up the products at the store. But, I have never had a problem.

Maybe it depends on if you go to a real MAC center, or one that just happens to be in department store along with the other makeup counters. At those, I would think they may just hire women who aren't specially trained - except to sell products. Whereas, at real MAC centers, all the clerks are specially trained.
Yes... I'm pretty sure all of the employees at MAC stores(flagships not department store counters) are actual licenses MAC artists.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

I love MAC. My BFF was a manager with them years ago when they first made an appearance in Macy's. MAC at the time did all of their own training and has constant training for their make up artists. Just because they are in a dept. store does not mean they have not been trained.

I only use shadows, blush and lipsticks. I always buy single containers of each and they last a really long time. I believe that I spend approx $20 per item when I need a replacement.

I also have an assortment of their brushes. The use of good brushes in the application of the makeup is one of their signatures.

Personally, as far as price goes, I think for what you get compared to other like dept. store products that MAC is a great deal.

I'd skip the "sets" and just get some basics
One of my favorite shadow colors is Embark - it is a rich dark brown, I use it as liner, to create a smokey eye etc. With it I like Cork.
My favorite lip color of all time is "O" but for day wear I like Plum Dandy.

If it were me buying for DD, I would get an eye crease brush and an angled tip brush for eyeliner and then a couple of shadows. I'd skip the lipstick.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Lorix2
Pixie and Dylan's mom
You can only get so creative with green beans
Loves when things work out just right

My DD20 just came home from college after only 2 years because the degree she was going for does not interest her. She wants to work as a professional make up artists for movies, sets, etc..and she LOVES MAC makeup. She applies it very well on herself and others.

How does one work toward that goal? The only cosmetic school around here is really for hair design mostly.

Sorry to hijack this thread OP, I was about to actually ask this in a separate thread.

Thank you.
Dolphin & Marriott Grande Vista April 2005
Marriott Grande Vista - April 2003
Sheraton Vistana Villages - April 2002
Lorix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvioletisme View Post
I totally disagree. Sounds like you may be going to the wrong MAC counter.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorix2 View Post
My DD20 just came home from college after only 2 years because the degree she was going for does not interest her. She wants to work as a professional make up artists for movies, sets, etc..and she LOVES MAC makeup. She applies it very well on herself and others.

How does one work toward that goal? The only cosmetic school around here is really for hair design mostly.

Sorry to hijack this thread OP, I was about to actually ask this in a separate thread.

Thank you.
Hijack away! I was wondering the same thing. I know they will need to attend a cosmetology school but it needs to cover a lot in cosmetics and skin care.

There is one in NOLA and Baton Rouge that came up when I googled Mac Make-up but I didn't really figure out if there was a connection. It did look as though they teach a lot in cosmetics and make up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: