Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
THREEBOYSPLUSONE
Earning My Ears

Any quiet or calmer places to rest

We will be in IOA dec 27 and 30 and Universal Studios dec 29. We will not be staying onsite because our hotel is part of package my husband won. I know it will be extremely busy but was wondering if there is any place in either park that is a little calmer or quieter in case our 10 yr old special needs son needs to wind down a little. I am hoping he can handle it but he has never been to anyplace like this so he doesn't know what to expect. He has been watching videos of the rides on you tube so he is better prepared.
THREEBOYSPLUSONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
flfun
Mouseketeer

I would speak with guest services and explain your son's situation, I think they would have the best advice and they will most likely issue you return passes for rides with long lines so you don't have to physically remain in that area until your "time" to board has come up. Maybe you can use the child swap room as well, which is quieter and has air conditioning. One parent will stand in line and then you and your son can be brought out when that parent has reached the boarding area. Also, I would suggest eating meals during off-times, such as mid-morning and mid-afternoon, that would be so much more relaxing than fighting the enormous crowds at regular mealtimes.

I'm sure others will chime in with some restful places and other ideas. Good Luck!
flfun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran

The movie theater in Citywalk is a wonderful place to rest for a couple of hours. The seats are very comfortable.

For shorter breaks in the parks, benches around the lagoons are usually good bets. They are easy to find in Universal. In IOA, in front of the Jurassic Park building and Suess Land are good spots.
Senator Tressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
gschmerl
Not ignored by the Tag Fairy any longer!!!
Fun lover
Has seen the TF

We like the quiet spot behind the Jurasic Park discovery center.
gschmerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

you received a variety of great suggestions op.

no matter what, there will be many people in the park on dec 27, 29th, 30th.
holiday periods make the parks crowded.
it is not just the rides/shows that will have lines but the restrooms and eateries will have lines also.

besides the parks and city walk for a secluded area to rest and regroup, you could try the onsite hotel lobbies.

plenty of seating areas where some sections are calm and quiet and you all can sit and relax.

the walking path to hrh and rph are paved and full of foliage, trees and bushes.
it is a very quiet walk and a short walk to those hotels.

at the studios, you can sit on the benches around the lagoon that are away from the walking paths.
it's quite serene and peaceful.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
snoopboop
Mouseketeer

There is a neat walking path behind Mythos at IOA... it was empty when we were there mid-November, but I'm not sure whether it gets busy when the parks are hopping?
snoopboop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I agree that you should consider the lobby areas of the resorts. The boat ride is pleasant and the resorts seem to be very quiet during the day and have plenty of comfortable seating. We particularly like the Royal Pacific for this.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

If you have an American Express card, you can use the American Express lounge at the Studios.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

the info & hours for the AE lounge:

Get access to the American Express Lounge In Universal Studios® when you buy any Universal Orlando® Multi-Park Ticket or Annual Pass with any American Express® Card.

Take a relaxing break during your afternoon and enjoy complimentary light snacks, drinks, a full-time concierge and more.

The American Express Lounge is open seven days a week from 12 pm – 5 pm and available on a first come, first served basis.*

Tickets must be purchased on universalorlando.com or at the Universal Orlando front gate ticket windows to be eligible.

ENTRANCE TO THE AMERICAN EXPRESS LOUNGE IS LOCATED IN UNIVERSAL STUDIOS FLORIDA ACROSS FROM SHREK’S YE OLDE SOUVENIR SHOPPE.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
AJ1983
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
the info & hours for the AE lounge:

Get access to the American Express Lounge In Universal Studios® when you buy any Universal Orlando® Multi-Park Ticket or Annual Pass with any American Express® Card.

Take a relaxing break during your afternoon and enjoy complimentary light snacks, drinks, a full-time concierge and more.

The American Express Lounge is open seven days a week from 12 pm – 5 pm and available on a first come, first served basis.*

Tickets must be purchased on universalorlando.com or at the Universal Orlando front gate ticket windows to be eligible.

ENTRANCE TO THE AMERICAN EXPRESS LOUNGE IS LOCATED IN UNIVERSAL STUDIOS FLORIDA ACROSS FROM SHREK’S YE OLDE SOUVENIR SHOPPE.
Question, do you have to be a cardholder to use the lounge, or do the tickets simply have to be PURCHASED with an AmEx? Ie, can my friend get the tickets on her AmEx but I use them on my vacation?
AJ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1983 View Post
Question, do you have to be a cardholder to use the lounge, or do the tickets simply have to be PURCHASED with an AmEx? Ie, can my friend get the tickets on her AmEx but I use them on my vacation?
I don't know. People have reported that all they ask to see is the amex card and not the tickets.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2894990

When they pulled down the soundstage to put in Transformers, I thought that the lounge might be going too. However, it is actually part of the Monster's Cafe (on the Shrek side), if you are looking for it.

Last edited by damo; 12-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
THREEBOYSPLUSONE
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We do not have an AMEX card so that option is out. I am not sure about checking out the hotels as I have a disability that makes a lot of walking hard. I will be renting an ECV in park but don't think you are allowed to take them out of the park. If we have to we can always go back to our hotel for awhile since we will have a rental car. Hopefully he will be fine and be able to handle it.
THREEBOYSPLUSONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
AJ1983
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info, I won't bother getting my friend to buy the tickets then
AJ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

In IoA, there are secluded spots along the lagoon (I think they were originally intended for people to watch a show on the water). Seuss Landing and Jurrasic Park definitely have them, never busy, tho you might have to look around to find the pathway to them.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: