Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Question Yet ANOTHER seasickeness question.....(re. our kids)

I posted this on one of the other threads, but it kinda got burried, so thought I would ask it seperately. DH & I have been on two other cruises (one Magic, one Wonder). Neither one of us had any seasickness. I did feel dizzy for a week or so AFTER our last cruise-not enough that I was sick-it was just kinda bothersome. It was in Oct., so we did kinda skirt the outside edge of a hurricane our last night out.

We are taking our kids for the first time this Feb. No one in our family has ever gotten carsick or even has been bothered at all. We live in CO, drive mountain roads all the time & take many days-long car trips. Never once has anyone even complained of not feeling well.

Do these things go hand-in-hand? Does the tendency to get car-sick go along w/ a tendency to seasickness as well? Or my real question is-do you think our kids will be ok?

The other thing is, the other cruises were 3 & 4 day cruises, & this is an 8 day. This one will be on the Magic again.

Any insight on this?

Last edited by Kimbo71; 12-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Kimbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

There is probably some relationship between those that get car sick and those that get seasick, but its not a firm one. My wife is prone to motion sickness but is just fine in a car.
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
My wife is prone to motion sickness but is just fine in a car.
This might be because the motion of the boat is a different sensation than that of a car, I suppose. Just hoping our kids do ok!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover
There is probably some relationship between those that get car sick and those that get seasick, but its not a firm one. My wife is prone to motion sickness but is just fine in a car.
Me too, though only slightly and I tend to wait it out as most of the meds just make me feel worse. DS is the opposite, he can get car sick so we tend to give him kids meds if on a long journey which seem to work fine and have no side effects for him, but we didn't give him anything on the cruise as we didn't want him taking something all week and he was fine the whole time even when we went through a rough patch. So I guess it just varies by person and you don't know until you try!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scillycruisers View Post
and he was fine the whole time even when we went through a rough patch.
Sometimes I wonder if kids' bodies are just more resiliant.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo71 View Post
This might be because the motion of the boat is a different sensation than that of a car, I suppose. Just hoping our kids do ok!
Any other insight on this?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
TitanBrett
Mouseketeer

After years of being on fishing boats, cruise ships, ski boats, ferries, sailboats and about every other type of watercraft I have found one universal truth. That truth being, sea sickness symptoms, effectiveness of cures, onset and relief vary so much person to person that it is basically an individualized affliction.

If you aren't sure what's going to happen, bring everything; sea bands, ginger, bonine, the patch, whatever.
TitanBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
MySecondHome
Never Grow Up !

Maybe I am just unique! I never get carsick or anything like that (even reading). I have been on 9 DCL cruises, the first 3 I felt queasy/sick on the first night only. I didn't have an issue from day two till the end.
From cruise 4 -> on I haven't had an issue at all. There was no rhyme-or-reason. (Different locations on the ship, different ships & different times of the year)

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

Wonder 04/2009...Wonder 11/2009...Wonder 12/2009...Wonder 10/2010...Dream 03/2011...Magic 10/2011...Magic 04/2012...Dream 09/2012...Dream 10/2012 Cruise #10 Jan 2013!!...Cruise #11 Oct 2013!!

MySecondHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanBrett View Post

If you aren't sure what's going to happen, bring everything; sea bands, ginger, bonine, the patch, whatever.
For DH & I, I think we'll be fine, given our past history. Just wondering about our kids. Thanks for your imput.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySecondHome View Post
(Different locations on the ship, different ships & different times of the year)
Yeah-who knows? I never felt sick-mostly just dizzy.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
codex57
Earning My Ears

I think your kids will be fine since they don't get carsick. My sister gets car sick and sea sick and air sick. My kids don't get car sick, and while my wife and I weren't feeling too hot (I still feel like I'm rocking and we docked yesterday morning to disembark after a day and a half of really rocky seas), my kids were fine.
codex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
I think your kids will be fine since they don't get carsick. My sister gets car sick and sea sick and air sick. My kids don't get car sick, and while my wife and I weren't feeling too hot (I still feel like I'm rocking and we docked yesterday morning to disembark after a day and a half of really rocky seas), my kids were fine.
We'll take some meds w/ us just in case, but I think I'll just make sure they stay hydrated. That's the most important thing & we're used to that anyway, since we live in CO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: