Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #16
SeanCLV
Earning My Ears

Today we had to show our ID's every time we went into a park with 2 day PH's.
SeanCLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswh View Post
I agree Disney can do whatever they want. I hope that they don't start asking kids for IDs because the only thing I have for my kids is their passports and I'd really rather not carry them around and, since I can't just put them in my back pocket, worry about losing them.
Like I said, it's not typical in this country. A driver license is the most common government issued ID in this country, and of course minors typically don't have one until they're of driving age. However, you seem to live in a state where a DMV issued non-DL photo ID is only $10.50. We live in California where it's $26 as opposed to $31 for a DL.

I got my kid the passport and the passport card (with the $25 acceptance fee applied for both) although it was a pain. I worked weekdays and had to find an acceptance facility open on Saturday since we had to go together - my kid, my wife, and myself. If you've already got a passport and not a passport card, I wouldn't know about paying the $25+$15 just to get it. I would say if you wanted one just do it when the regular passport is up for renewal.

I know most don't use passports or photo IDs for minors (and some states don't issue them for minors) but I have heard of some families visiting Disneyland bringing birth certificates as proof of age and/or somewhat of an ID. I don't like the idea of hauling around a birth certificate. The only time we've ever used out kid's was when we got the passport and passport card.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
larina
DIS Veteran

I know I'm the odd one out, but I think it is about time they do this. And everyone should have photo ID past the age of 12. Schools give out IDs these days, it isn't hard. My 9 year old has one. It is totally reasonable for Disney to want to confirm ages of groups and whatnot. Too much abuse has brought us to this point. I hope this will stop it!
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #19
mrswh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post
I know I'm the odd one out, but I think it is about time they do this. And everyone should have photo ID past the age of 12. Schools give out IDs these days, it isn't hard. My 9 year old has one. It is totally reasonable for Disney to want to confirm ages of groups and whatnot. Too much abuse has brought us to this point. I hope this will stop it!
I agree, though I think it's sad, that they need to have better defense against fraud. But, just because your school gives out IDs doesn't mean they all do. My kids go to private school and they are not given ID cards. If I need to bring ID for my kids, I'd have to go get them a state issued ID as I don't want to bring their passports to the parks.

My kids were not asked for ID when we were last there (Thanksgiving weekend). If Disney decides to require ID for children, I hope they will state this clearly on the ticket so that we have advance notice and will know to get some form of ID and bring it on our trip.
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
Dramamama
Mouseketeer

As the 3 days have gone on the I'd thing is very easy, for the adults. I just have my I'd out when I give them the ticket. They also haven't been checking the hand stamp very often for park hopping. Only about 1 in every 3 times. The signing the ticket in "their" pen was a hassle, especially when we had 1st entered they didn't ask us to but told us "be sure you sign your ticket". Didn't say anything about "their " pen. Most of us had to have the tickets reprinted and signed again.

I just wish they would have put this change of policy on the web site. Because if the 4and 5 day discussions here, I checked the web site before my group left. Nothing was said.

Our biggest issues was with the teenagers, 18 of them. Many didn't bring their school ids with them. If I had know I would have told them to. We got it worked out. But it was a hassle.

The other issue is that not everyone that deals with tickets is aware of the change. Just for fun, I called Disney to ask which tickets required Id. The CM said 4 and 5, I asked specifically if 3 days had to and he told me no. If they are making a change, for the better, it is fine, but communicate that change and have some kind of "grace" period to put it into effect.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DL - 1972, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1986, 5x 1987 (AP),5x 1988 (AP), 2x 1989, 2x 1990, 1992, 2x 1994, 2x 2005, 5x 2006 (AP), 2x 2007, 2x 2010, 4x 2011, 3x 2012, 4x 2013 // WDW-1999, 2009, 2012 // DCL- MR 2011, MR 2011

Dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramamama View Post
As the 3 days have gone on the I'd thing is very easy, for the adults. I just have my I'd out when I give them the ticket. They also haven't been checking the hand stamp very often for park hopping. Only about 1 in every 3 times. The signing the ticket in "their" pen was a hassle, especially when we had 1st entered they didn't ask us to but told us "be sure you sign your ticket". Didn't say anything about "their " pen. Most of us had to have the tickets reprinted and signed again.

I just wish they would have put this change of policy on the web site. Because if the 4and 5 day discussions here, I checked the web site before my group left. Nothing was said.

Our biggest issues was with the teenagers, 18 of them. Many didn't bring their school ids with them. If I had know I would have told them to. We got it worked out. But it was a hassle.

The other issue is that not everyone that deals with tickets is aware of the change. Just for fun, I called Disney to ask which tickets required Id. The CM said 4 and 5, I asked specifically if 3 days had to and he told me no. If they are making a change, for the better, it is fine, but communicate that change and have some kind of "grace" period to put it into effect.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I can just say from my experience using a 3-day CityPass PH on Thanksgiving weekend and making a total of five entrances and reentrances, I was asked for ID every single time. I think that's reasonable because spot checks aren't going to work.

I think they're starting to insist on "their pen" now as well as machine printing the names. One of the new tactics of the rental brokers is to have the name written in a dry erase pen that can be wiped and a new name placed. They might even instruct their customers to bring along a disguised dry erase pen, although if I were a CM I could smell one easily.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonna View Post
Disney wasn't cracking down on the ticket ID issue in August so you wouldn't have had the problems people are dealing with now. They started this in late Oct. (the 24th I believe) right before we went.
They weren't being as strict then but they were absolutely 100% checking, DD and DBF's tickets were printed by the CM a the Toy Story lot with their names on them. DBF's parents, sister, BIL and nephews had to write their names on their tickets as well and everyone was asked for ID at least once, except the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyledSugar View Post
We have to show ID (passports) for our minor children every time we fly, whether it is a flight in Canada or a flight in the States. I'm not talking just Canada to US flights and vice versa. It's flights within both countries. Perhaps it's more of an airline policy rather than the acutal law though. They've always asked and we've always produced it, no questions asked.

I'd rather not carry our passports to the park and will try gaining entry without them the first day, although my DH and I will of course have our driver's licenses. Hopefully that will be enough.
DD12 & DD16 flew for Thanksgiving, they did not need ID to board the plane or pass through security.

Quote:
Not all schools provide ID for kids, and I don't let my kids take their school ID's with them to DL. If they get lost I have to pay $25 each to replace them. If they start asking kids for ID then I think that is unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
I can just say from my experience using a 3-day CityPass PH on Thanksgiving weekend and making a total of five entrances and reentrances, I was asked for ID every single time. I think that's reasonable because spot checks aren't going to work.

I think they're starting to insist on "their pen" now as well as machine printing the names. One of the new tactics of the rental brokers is to have the name written in a dry erase pen that can be wiped and a new name placed. They might even instruct their customers to bring along a disguised dry erase pen, although if I were a CM I could smell one easily.
I could smell the ink from a dry erase marker as well. Really sucks that the ticket brokers were doing that type of thing. Well, sucks for those who are honest.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
DD12 did not have to show ID to use her 3 day hopper in August.
Quote:
Disney wasn't cracking down on the ticket ID issue in August so you wouldn't have had the problems people are dealing with now. They started this in late Oct. (the 24th I believe) right before we went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
They weren't being as strict then but they were absolutely 100% checking,
I'm sure there has always been some checking of ID and tickets to see how big the ticket rental problem was and I'm sure it was more intense this year to gear up for the big crack down they knew was coming, hence you encountered some in August. However, I was referring to the big, official crack down that started on (or right around Oct. 24th) that began all these posts and outrage and when disney put out signage at the entrances to notify guests of this change.

ttig34 on these boards started the first thread about the 4-5 day passes. Then, this thread was started when disney later began to include the 3 day passes. ttig34 said the official "signage" was up on Oct. 24th where disney notified people that they would have to use a separate line, show ID and be entered into the computer.
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #24
jory29
DIS Veteran

Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)

Quote:
I totally agree with you - I doubt you are the odd one out.
However, that being said, our kids don't get any ID issued to them besides our passports (Canada) and I can not take risk of losing them the parks - our schools do not necessarily provide ID, (some do, some don't) but our health care (Alberta) does, and so I will make sure to keep that on us, as well as some sort of proof of ID for the adults in our party of 4 if needed. (DH and I will have our Driver's License photo ID on us for ID, which is reasonable to expect one can carry with them.) I now agree that too much ticket abuse has taken place, and finally, with all of this 'asking for ID' in admission line-ups taking place, I can confirm that the fraudulent ticket use has created Disney to dismiss the 'longer-than-5-day-Park Hopper' option for ticket sales: (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2980067) Initially, I had hesitations that ticket fraud was that rampant, but it appears they are cracking down on that, and I do now believe that it was a legitimate concern by Disney.

A simply solution might be a photo ID pass upon purchase/ticket redemption if purchased through Disney directly or through other sources - not very expensive to implement for long-term ID verification, it is instantaneous, and is probably more trust-worthy than the finger print ID system.

Edited to add: Post #465 of this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread....980067&page=31 was inspired by this one. Thanks, OP!!

Last edited by jory29; 12-01-2012 at 11:44 PM.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
HollyL
Mouseketeer

Wouldn't a social security card suffice for ID (at least for Americans)? We just flew on SouthWest Airlines with our 18 month old. On the out-going flight, we weren't asked any questions, but on the flight back, we were asked, and her Social Security card was fine.
HollyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
HollyL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I agree with you. In the age that we are living in, there is no reason that every American citizen shouldn't be required to have a photo ID. Many countries require that their citizens have them. Why should we be any different? Just my opinion.
HollyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
I'm sure there has always been some checking of ID and tickets to see how big the ticket rental problem was and I'm sure it was more intense this year to gear up for the big crack down they knew was coming, hence you encountered some in August. However, I was referring to the big, official crack down that started on (or right around Oct. 24th) that began all these posts and outrage and when disney put out signage at the entrances to notify guests of this change.

ttig34 on these boards started the first thread about the 4-5 day passes. Then, this thread was started when disney later began to include the 3 day passes. ttig34 said the official "signage" was up on Oct. 24th where disney notified people that they would have to use a separate line, show ID and be entered into the computer.
All I'm doing is giving my experiences, stating that as far back as August they were beginning to check ID for those with 3 day hoppers. That's all, it's what I've done since August and I'll continue to do so so others know it's been going on since at least then. I can't report earlier than that because DD16 and I had AP's for our July trip, in fact we still have AP's so we don't get asked for ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyL View Post
Wouldn't a social security card suffice for ID (at least for Americans)? We just flew on SouthWest Airlines with our 18 month old. On the out-going flight, we weren't asked any questions, but on the flight back, we were asked, and her Social Security card was fine.
A SS card doesn't have a photo or birth date. I'm not sure it would work for Disney or not.

Quote:
I agree with you. In the age that we are living in, there is no reason that every American citizen shouldn't be required to have a photo ID. Many countries require that their citizens have them. Why should we be any different? Just my opinion.
Every citizen? I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I definitely think every adult should have some type of ID on them when they leave the house. Adult being 18+.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Keeping a social security number card on your person is a really, really bad idea. I used to do it until I was warned against the possibility of identity theft should my wallet be lost or stolen. The only reason anyone should ever need to produce one is for employment verification or a governmental purpose. However, I consider a passport or passport card a better option since they contain a photo. There was a time when school IDs and some states' driver license numbers were tied to SSNs, but that practice was mostly discontinued a while ago because of the risks.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Quote:
You need a Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services. But you don't often need to show your Social Security card. Do not carry your card with you. Keep it in a safe place with your other important papers.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsite...ers/deter.html

Quote:
DETER: Minimize Your Risk

While nothing can guarantee that you won't become a victim of identity theft, you can minimize your risk, and minimize the damage if a problem develops, by making it more difficult for identity thieves to access your personal information.

Protect your Social Security number

Don't carry your Social Security card in your wallet or write your Social Security number on a check. Give your Social Security number only when absolutely necessary, and ask to use other types of identifiers. If your state uses your Social Security number as your driver's license number, ask to substitute another number. Do the same if your health insurance company uses your Social Security number as your policy number.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #29
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

Maybe I'll bring a piece of mail from our medical insurance(with numbers blacked out), it is addressed to our dd, and my ID has our mailing address. They can compare the two. That should more than suffice as ID for a child.

Disneyland '88, '93, Feb. '10, Jan. '11, Feb. '12, Jan. '13

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy4DL View Post
Maybe I'll bring a piece of mail from our medical insurance(with numbers blacked out), it is addressed to our dd, and my ID has our mailing address. They can compare the two. That should more than suffice as ID for a child.
I think a picture is what they want so the person standing in front of them is the name they see. One poster said she was just going to make ID's for her kids- that would be smart- get a recent photo, add their name, your name and your cell. Have them sign it and be done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: